The Escapist Show: Episode: 28 X-Men Origins Wolverine

Episode: 28 X-Men Origins Wolverine

This week on The Escapist Show Raven Software Senior Producer on X-Men Origins Wolverine tells us why this movie game does NOT suck.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
Frank Klepacki - "Kill"
DJ Drunken Master - "Wet Stick"

Watch Video

The physics engine when he's damaging the helicopter looks like is from PS1 era. A lens flare to signify a hit and no pointed impact damage? He hits the front of the chopper and the doors fly off.

Gameplay looks like it's going to be the normal action-adventure "same combo over and over again" combat. I'll keep my expectations low, thank you.

Krakyn:
The physics engine when he's damaging the helicopter looks like is from PS1 era. A lens flare to signify a hit and no pointed impact damage? He hits the front of the chopper and the doors fly off.

Gameplay looks like it's going to be the normal action-adventure "same combo over and over again" combat. I'll keep my expectations low, thank you.

Well let's face it when it comes to combat in action games it has been in a rut since the PS2 generation with very little developers adding something new or taking something old and implementing the combat. You will see combat be repetative regardless in the end but you have to let the player decide how they want to do damage or let the boss decide which course of action is best.

Hugh Jackman has nothing on Russy.

..*schwing!*

Krakyn:
He hits the front of the chopper and the doors fly off.

The door does have hinges, if you hit the (side of the) front they can break, same thing sometimes happens in car crashes. (that means it's at least plausible :))

The first part was especially fun Russ :D

Same counts for the michael jackson cat xD

Oh lord...the credits killed me! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Add the intro with and Russ Pitts and the end credits...that is already better than the Wolverine movie.

As for the game, I'm not sure, a couple of things the Raven Software Senior Producer mentioned sounded like good ideas...
Claws actually going into people, showing Wolverine's regenerative properties on the character.

However, the game-play video provided didn't really impress and it looks quite repetitive.

I do think that the trend of movie tie-ins game being mediocre/ bad will hurt this game's sales.

The Wolverine game is actually a really fun brawler. Think God of War with less quicktime events and more pouncing. Some of the early boss fights can get a bit repetitive (nowhere near the level of RE5 though), but overall the game keeps adding new attacks and enemies enough to keep things interesting.

Between my roommate and myself, we've beaten the game both on normal and the unlocked hard difficulty. And he's still playing it to get the last costume and finish maxing abilities out for achievements.

I just wish there was some form of survival mode or multiplayer. :(

Also, just thinking of this kind of combat engine with multiple X-Men and multiplayer... The closest I'll get these days to the arcade crack that was the X-Men arcade game.

Spinwhiz:

I don't get it. What's with the kitten dancing like Michael Jackson?

A really great video there, liked intro and credits. The game doesn't look to bad either. A great return of the cat as well.

Kuliani:

Viva la kitteh revolucione!

But yeah -- a movie game that doesn't suck? I'll believe it when I see it. (I haven't yet.)

Would like to see more gameplay video though. Some of what was shown looked good, but other bits... meh.

ddkr ftw!
anyways wasa interesting 2 watch, fun 2 see a guy saying that their game dosn't suck. that is original, hope it is true.

DDKR! Viva la revolucione!

I bet Russ is one of those guys that still picks up gun-shaped sticks and makes 'pew pew' noises at every opportunity.

Mariena:
Hugh Jackman has nothing on Russy.

..*schwing!*

Quoted for truth!

Kuliani:

Spinwhiz:

Viva la kitty revolution!

Seriously now, it's good that they put some thought into it and tried to make the game stand out rather then just churning out another stereotypical format.
Guess it's up to the individual player as to how well they achieved that.

Nerdfury:
DDKR! Viva la revolucione!

I bet Russ is one of those guys that still picks up gun-shaped sticks and makes 'pew pew' noises at every opportunity.

Damn right. /fingergun

I see what you did there, credits.

The game looks alright! I'm surprised that the studio tried to go really deep with the story and not just phone the game in.

ZOMG!!! Michael Jackson cat!

I can see renting this. But only if Russ is an unlockable character. *schhing

BAMF! :D

lmao, threw in a Bamf!

also, DDKR, the revolution is coming, are you kitty enough?

And yeah, I always wondered how in every portrayal of wolverine, he either only uses his claws on robots, or his claws are never stained by blood.

I always find myself thinking... Wouldn't unsheathing them cause him to bleed a little on the claws even? And wouldnt shredding people be like a blood bath? Stabbing things alone can cause quite a gush from the rapid change in blood pressure... So its nice to see that wolverine's adamantium is at least a little more potent than my grandmother's fingernails.

Related: I hope there is more than just one or two combos for fighting. I think I'd give this game a go, there are, after all, some movie games that didn't suck.

Smooth Criminal Kitty OMG!!1!

sebar nl:

nope... wrong song.

DDKR CLAIMS ANOTHER VICTIM!!

Krakyn:

Translation: It's a movie video game, so I'll find the smallest thing to nit-pick that I'd normally let pass in any other video game.

The first part was especially fun Russ :D

If by "fun" you mean a poorly-done version of the most trite comedy tool ever created. It's like there was some time quota, and the developer didn't talk long enough, so he had to come-up with something at the last minute to stretch-out the video a little.

Shane, thanks.

You turned me onto a game I'd have avoided.

It also led to the first controller I've touched in decades (bought a Xbox wireless to play it on my PC/HDTV. Hello, couch!). So you're to blame (credit?) for that too.

This game is fun, and satisfying on a visceral level . . . something I may eventually need therapy for. Until that time, I'll keep shredding those rotten bastards . . . .

Ohh! Yeah! Also, it doesn't suck!

George Palmer:

sebar nl:

nope... wrong song.

DDKR CLAIMS ANOTHER VICTIM!!

w8, what?! WRONG?!
ok thats it: I'm gonna cast my unhappy-face spell: :(
now you know my true power I demand you all kneel for my awesome spell!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here