Review: Demigod

Pages PREV 1 2

Abedeus:

Credge:

Abedeus:
I wanted to try this game. I won't, however, buy a game blindly for $50.

You should be happy to know that it's only $40 then.

I wouldn't buy it blindly even for $30.

If only it was at my local game store now, they don't even have it! :(

cainx10a:

Abedeus:

Credge:

Abedeus:

Let me comfort you - No shop in Poland has it yet... At least till today, as it just came out here.

Not sure if it's going to be here before Monday.

I've been playing this game since the second beta was out, and I really like it, but funk really understates the problems with multiplayer. There are tons of people who are largely unable to play multiplayer much at all. There are factors that preclude a game without lag or the game itself playing at a good speed, and really I want to say 4 out of 5 games I've played online have more or less collapsed because of either simspeed issues or more likely, connection issues.

That being said the game is great (IMO, of course) I hadn't played DoTA prior to playing this, so I can't compare the two, but it makes for a really fun kind of war between people. One thing I think is something of a problem as well is that issues apart from connectivity issues are on the back burner until they get the connectivity issues sorted out. So complaints about game balance, disfunctional controls etc, tend to be ignored.

IMO, the game may have been better as an action game. It does rely on reflexes to a point, but is also some amount tactical...although very narrowly. But really a good game, make sure you have a good mouse. Not trying to snub your review in any way, but I think if people are considering buying it, they should have a sense of the connectivity issues in the game.

CantFaketheFunk:

By your logic, LoL won't get any patches either, since it's being made as a commercial game and not as a community one.

Firstly, I never said LoL would evolve, so I don't know why you are bothering to say this. If LoL sucks when it comes out, I'll say so, and if I hear that either it or Demigod get a really big patch, I'll reevaluate them.

Secondly, I clearly do recognize some commercial companies have a history of making significant positive patches well past release (like a pointed out: Bliz, Valve), and guess who some of the guys making LoL are? The guys who made DotA! So actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if LoL does undergo some significant evolution.

I remember making my very own DotA clones, with my very own heroes and very own skills, abilites and items; good times. I'm quite curious about Demigod and might buy it once it's less expensive.

oneplus999:

CantFaketheFunk:

By your logic, LoL won't get any patches either, since it's being made as a commercial game and not as a community one.

Firstly, I never said LoL would evolve, so I don't know why you are bothering to say this. If LoL sucks when it comes out, I'll say so, and if I hear that either it or Demigod get a really big patch, I'll reevaluate them.

Secondly, I clearly do recognize some commercial companies have a history of making significant positive patches well past release (like a pointed out: Bliz, Valve), and guess who some of the guys making LoL are? The guys who made DotA! So actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if LoL does undergo some significant evolution.

Do you have a link to this LoL game being made? I'd like to find out more information Oneplus999.

Tenmar:

Do you have a link to this LoL game being made? I'd like to find out more information Oneplus999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends:_Clash_of_Fates
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

Abedeus:

cainx10a:

Abedeus:

Credge:

Abedeus:

Let me comfort you - No shop in Poland has it yet... At least till today, as it just came out here.

Not sure if it's going to be here before Monday.

heh, I dropped by today, and found ONE on the shelf, quickly grabbed it and ran off to pay for it: I have to admit, impulse is a little bit cumbersome although it didn't really create obstacles like GFWL did. Finally, for someone who wasn't good at clicky-clickyti-clickyta! in DotA, find this game to be easy to pick up and play, even with the lack of said tutorials. It's really fun. However, I wish they had custom demigods and assassins as well ;s

Ok i played this game from the first day i could buy it online. Safe to say i know a lot about it by now. And i have to say. When you have 2 players of the same class they will probly have the SAME skills. As the video points out there is a lot of stuff you can buy and spend points on to upgrade your character.

However, Most of the skills and items are useless in the sense that by now the best items i know and skills. If you deviate even a bit from the perfect skill tree you wont make it. Half the skills are useless sins towers aren't a problem and if you play it well enough so will be the minions. All you need to focus on is killing Demigods. The faster you kill them the faster you lvl and when your 3 lvl's higher then the Demigod your fighting he can forget it. By then your to strong and he will have to gang up on you but sins you do the same you win then and there. Just help your minions destroy some towers and voila. Game over.

All and all this game has a lot of possibly variation but for the moment you are stuck to a liner path. just pick the right class to start, stay together and pick the right skills. not much room for own input when playing

Rhayn:
I'm still on the fence about this game.

I do so like the looks of it, and it seems to be indeed quite fun to play. But I do so horribly suck at multiplayer games, be it FPS or RTS. I don't want to spend 50€ on something that I start up, and get my ass kicked multiple times without any end in sight, as it is every time I try to play an RTS online.

Yeah, I guess I could play single player, but I suspect that will quickly lose it's novelty once I've tried all the Demigods. Perhaps I'll pick it up if I see it on discount in a few years, but right now... I don't think so.

This is the stance i'm taking with Demigods...

The game looks awesome, but it looks like their are barely any levels / they aren't very complex. Meaning 'tis the same basic level design and it will get repetitive really fast. Also I heard that there have been issues with the online multiplayer, which seems to be the games real selling point.

trollboy:
The game looks awesome, but it looks like their are barely any levels / they aren't very complex. Meaning 'tis the same basic level design and it will get repetitive really fast. Also I heard that there have been issues with the online multiplayer, which seems to be the games real selling point.

Yes, but I believe patches have just about eliminated that issue about now. There aren't a lot of levels, yes, but they are still a lot of fun!

It's a really fun game for a good 15 minute battle.

mentor07825:

trollboy:

Yes, but I believe patches have just about eliminated that issue about now. There aren't a lot of levels, yes, but they are still a lot of fun!

But a good 15 minute battle doesn't make it worth buying the game, maybe renting it to have fun for a weekend.

trollboy:

mentor07825:

trollboy:

But a good 15 minute battle doesn't make it worth buying the game, maybe renting it to have fun for a weekend.

It was a game soley designed to be quick. You can of course play tournament mode, where it's a string of battles where you try to get your Demigod to achieve God status.

Also you can play online in tournament mode, trying to get your Demigod to God status and helping either the Dark Side or Light Side win. There is a leaderboard and they will be doing prizes.

It's a game that just sets itself out to be fun and strategic.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 62222)