Editor's Note: Fiction

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fiction

This week The Escapist takes on a new and improved look. Find out what's changed and why you should be excited in this week's Editor's Note.

Read Full Article

Site looks fantastic. Very shiny. Applause to all the development crew.

Shiny, shiny. Good work!

Welcome, welcome to Escapist 3.0, you have chosen or been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining community centres. We thought so much of Escapist 3.0 that we elected to establish our wonderful and benevolent dictator administration here, in the Citadel so
thoughtfully provided by our Benefactors. I am proud to call Escapist 3.0 my home.
So whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown, welcome to Escapist 3.0. It's even safer here.

Looks decent enough. Good job.
Now, off to find the flaws!

Wolf~

Combined:

Welcome, welcome to Escapist 3.0, you have chosen or been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining community centres. We thought so much of Escapist 3.0 that we elected to establish our wonderful and benevolent dictator administration here, in the Citadel so
thoughtfully provided by our Benefactors. I am proud to call Escapist 3.0 my home.
So whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown, welcome to Escapist 3.0. It's even safer here.

You just had to do it didn't you?
You're not Breen. He's dead. Get over it. <.<

The Grey Wolf:

*insert random, violent denial and instant threat*

Combined:

The Grey Wolf:

*insert random, violent denial and instant threat*

[insert refutal of bringing Gordon Freeman back to life]

Looking good so far, although I feel compelled to point out an error on the front page. It says this is Issue 203, when it's actually 202. Also, the columns/news section seems a little cluttered; there's no real structure that I can tell. No doubt you'll get it sorted, though.

Fantastic work guys... looks lovely. Big round of applause, and maybe even a round of drinks if you happen to be in London any time.

It's very good, and I already took a lot of inspiration from the design of the old site, so, well, I think I'm qualified to say this is a big improvement.

*clap* *clap*

Anachronism:
Also, the columns/news section seems a little cluttered; there's no real structure that I can tell. No doubt you'll get it sorted, though.

I second that!

And I applaud to your hidden feature of your under construction site; I don't like poems, but I appreciate the effort.

The only bug I see so far is that the icon for Experienced Points is *excessively* handsome and witty, and might prove to be too distracting for newcomers.

Other than that, I really love the new design.

My only quandary is the Latest Posts/Hot Threads square has been shrunk significantly, and it means I can't read the treads titles without leaning forward (although that could just mean I need glasses (but I do normally lean back quite a lot in my chair)).

Shamus Young:
The only bug I see so far is that the icon for Experienced Points is *excessively* handsome and witty, and might prove to be too distracting for newcomers.

I had trouble making that one. I kept fawning.

bit too cluttered for my liking, also the news looks smaller :/

whatever ill get used to it im sure, im not much of a change person...
like soem of th enew features tho

Looks alright, though I will have to get used to so much being in a small space. Other than that, the layout is pretty cool and I haven't found any serious bugs yet.

Thank you for all your efforts.

Well it look quite shiney and new. I liked the way it was set up but I highly doubt any amount of wining I do will get it back. I'm sure there's some neat stuff here, like the videos on the side(that I like a lot) but I guess it will just get some taking used to, I wouldn't believe the tech crew here did any bad work.

aBlackKnight:

Anachronism:
Also, the columns/news section seems a little cluttered; there's no real structure that I can tell. No doubt you'll get it sorted, though.

I second that!

And I applaud to your hidden feature of your under construction site; I don't like poems, but I appreciate the effort.

I third it. I like it, but it seems quite muddled... Im sorry, i don't mean to be critical or anything but there doesn't seem to be anyway to distinguish between the different sections, they are all muddled together and looks a bit messy if you scroll down the page. If you just put them in boxes then it would be easier to distinguish..

Sorry. I like it, just my overall view on the new front page.

Shamus Young:

Users swooned.. the trolls fell about in awe.. etc.

Shamus Young:

Yeah...and his eyes seem to follow you wherever you go. It's mesmerizing...

Susan Arendt:

Shamus Young:

Yeah...and his eyes seem to follow you wherever you go. It's mesmerizing...

Sorry ... what? I was distracted by the avatar in post 11...

Also, glad you guys like it! And to those of you who aren't quite sure about it all yet, honestly, that most of those concerns are also paired with assurances that you'll get used to it and even thanks, feels great. It is a lot of work to do something like this, so we really appreciate you guys' being positive and your willingness to work through the newness. :)

Good jerb there fellahs and fellahettes

/Wonky = Jacked Up for us 'Mericans in here.

tk1989:
I third it. I like it, but it seems quite muddled... Im sorry, i don't mean to be critical or anything but there doesn't seem to be anyway to distinguish between the different sections, they are all muddled together and looks a bit messy if you scroll down the page. If you just put them in boxes then it would be easier to distinguish..

Sorry. I like it, just my overall view on the new front page.

Thanks for the feedback. Since this comment has come up a few times I figured I'd address it.

The content *is* muddled in the sense that we are no longer following a strict allocation of content by chronology and category in the above-the-fold portion of the front page. We deliberately switched from a "categorized-chronological" presentation to an "editorial importance" presentation. On the old site, new content appeared exactly in the same spot, regardless of its importance or interest: All that mattered was its chronology and category. The upper left hand block was always the Weekly Issue, for instance. On the new site, the front page is a flexible grid where we can move any type of content around based on what we think is important and interesting. To use the magazine metaphor, the homepage is now the "cover" of the magazine, highlighting what we think is most interesting and directing you there. Tomorrow the upper-left hand block will be Zero Punctuation, not the Weekly Issue. It's going to be a lot more dynamic.

We knew that some uers would be interested only in very specific content, so we added a right sidebar that hot-links you to the latest of specific series or columns. So on any page you're one click from ZP, one click from Stolen Pixels, etc. And browsing by chronology and category continues to be available via the tabbed menus.

It's definitely new and interesting, although it takes a bit of time to get used to and find out where everything is which is an issue that I think should be covered in the introductory article. I also think that they should have kept that section below the articles that listed the four latest videos, because it's a lot easier and quicker than going to videos, then latest videos, and then searching for the ones that you watch and haven't seen.

Archon:

tk1989:
*snip*.

*snip*

Ah, ok. Thank you for the explanation! That actually sounds awesome! I really liked the old page and maybe the diversely different new front page didn't really reassure me at first, so I probably jumped into criticising it. Regardless from what you have written the idea of a dynamic front page sounds interesting and original; I can't wait! I think that if you do it properly (which I am sure you will) it will make the front page more constructive and noteworthy :P Look forward to tomorrows look!

Looks great! I can't wait to get a better impression of it when the tournament advertisement is down.

I wasn't around to give balloons, confetti, and champagne to over-dramatize the new launch, but nice work all the same. I can tell that a lot of thought went into everything.

The new community section is total win! :)

Wow, this is going to take some getting used to. Its lovely, dont get me wrong. Only weird thing ive noticed so far is the post count and thread title on the main page kind of running together making it hard to read either. Other than that, awesome job.

I was kind of hoping for a throw back to the old days' simplicity, now it seems even more complicated than ever. I squawked during the first major overhaul and here I go again. ;-)

The content reorganization at the top seems for the better though. People who are used to the way things were might have a bit of difficulty at first, but new visitors will most likely have an easier time adjusting to the site now.

I still miss the magazine and lounge from old.

Echolocating:

Some days, I do too. But then, we have so much more content now, and so many more fine readers/viewers of that content. As much as I'd like to go back, you never really can. And I think this latest design is first-rate. We put a lot of thought into it. I'm confident folks will adapt fairly quickly.

mmm, slick AND shiny. god job.

Honestly... I can't say I like it. There's absolutely no delineation in between articles, no way to tell at a glance what picture goes with which blurb... borders in between the different sections would be a wonderful thing, in my view.

I understand you folks have a lot of content to put up, and not many people do that whole "scrolling down the page" thing, but when I have to literally puzzle out where one blurb ends and another begins, I have to score it as a step backwards in usability.

[/CrotchetyOldManMode]

P.S. I'm STILL having problems with pages not loading completely. Any idea when that might be sorted out?

Echolocating:

Me too, though mostly when looking at the old issue archive PDFs.

But realistically, there's absolutely no way we could do a fraction of what we do now with that design. It took 6-8 people to get that live each week, with 5-7 articles, and it was always close on the timing. Looking back, I don't know how we did it for two years.

I really like the new look.

Russ Pitts:

Echolocating:

Some days, I do too. But then, we have so much more content now, and so many more fine readers/viewers of that content. As much as I'd like to go back, you never really can. And I think this latest design is first-rate. We put a lot of thought into it. I'm confident folks will adapt fairly quickly.

It seems pretty good, but I'm such a fan of simplicity. For example, I look at the bottom of the page and see a column for "most popular" and "most commented" and think... why is that even important to a reader? There's a lot of feature creep going on here, I feel, but I also understand that I don't represent the majority of the viewership. If I ran the site, you'd all be broke. ;-)

Virgil:
But realistically, there's absolutely no way we could do a fraction of what we do now with that design. It took 6-8 people to get that live each week, with 5-7 articles, and it was always close on the timing. Looking back, I don't know how we did it for two years.

And thank you very much for doing what you did for so long. I found it very inspirational, even so to this day; it was so unique and refreshing.

I don't know what it is, but I just can't appreciate the massive online community thing (which is arguably the current focus of The Escapist) which is why I miss the "magazine".

looks great, I like the change. Also looks alot better on my ps3. Still can't watch videos on my ps3. Don't know why that is, but still the new site looks fantastic

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here