Review: Killing Floor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Killing Floor

Looking for co-op survival horror shooting action? It's Left 4 Dead, on a budget.

Read Full Article

Seems good though I'll stick with Left 4 Dead.

Budget Left 4 Dead indeed. Looks interesting.

Incidentally, unless I'm much mistaken, I believe this was a reference to Unskippable.

John Funk:
You are a member of a British Special Forces team sent in to deal with this threat by using your advanced medical training to test the effects of bullets - on them.

I agree with you on a lot of points, especially the solo bit. Which brings me to this: Tripwire is planning on making more solo (and ofcourse also more multiplayer) DLC, which is something I am really looking forward to because this game is a rough gem right now.

Those slow motion headshot kills were awesome.

The Traders evil don't trust her!

Its a good game, of course you have to rely on your team mates who are either brilliant or just plain old stupid and let you die in two seconds. Flesh-Pound is quite easy to take out just shoot him slowly this will stop him going berserk and slaughtering you. Oh and berserker for the win simply the best perk its fun chopping down hundreds of clots with a fruit knife.

That reminds me I need to play some games with you people.

Edit - Try a 50 player server its horribly fun to play

Been waiting for a decent review like this for a while now, sounds like a must buy. :)

Me and a friend got this and had some fun with it... We had some problem when we were trying to play LAN games as the only way to find the LAN server was to search trough all the internet ones... So that was a bit bugged... Or we were just blind or did something wrong...
But when we finally played it was pretty fun...

NoMoreSanity:
Seems good though I'll stick with Left 4 Dead.

Well, thats good cause Left 4 Dead is much more fun. Killing Floor is LF4D with no versus or survival mode. So it gets really boring after a little bit.

This actually seems pretty good, and much more frightening that Left 4 Dead.

looks cool, probably fun LAN game!
too bad I was so stupid and bought a laptop instead of a real computer :(

I wonder if the trader knows the merchant from resident evil 4...

It sounds like it's good enough to take up a few hours of my time, and at $20, it doesn't have to last all that long to meet the magic $5/hour entertainment value.

I think I'm gonna buy it when I get home tonight.

I'd say it was definitely worth a buy if you're into that kinda thing. Zed Time, for a start, is really bloody cool. It's basically multiplayer bullet time, achieved when anyone gets a good kill - usually a headshot. This makes for a great few seconds as everybody lines starts taking a little more time and heads explode all over the show.

Perks also level up. The Beserker perk, for example, which is what I use, levels up as I kill specimens with melee weapons - the axe, the knife and the chainsaw. It makes for a nice little feeling of progression on the side.

On the other hand, the difficulty is a little squiffy. Each difficulty level affects both the toughness of the monsters, and the number of monsters per player each wave. Which sounds alright but the toughness is scaled to the full 6 man team - on normal you can get to the last wave alright if you're a good shot and have places to run to, but when you get to the boss (known lovingly as the "Patriarch", the lovable mutated nerd with a chaingun-rocket launcher for an arm) You. Will. Die. Which kinda mucks it all up because on the other hand, easy is far too easy.

There's also a good community, too, with several good quality maps already been released and a lot more on the works, with some heavy scripting involved (there is for example a beta of a map that basically follows the Resident Evil movie, complete with fully functioning laser grid of doom).

i agree that the game is good. not perfect but good. but i still think that the flesh pound can take way to many bullets before he dies. also one with a chainsaw can handle some bullets without any problems.
but teamplay is deffenitaly vital in this game.

Maybe I'll wait 'till steam has a sale and pick up both or at least L4D on the cheap.

Also, it looks like you're playing solo, or at least off by yourself a lot there. Is that a pretty common occurrence or was it something about the video selected?

I dont have the game myself, I've been bugging all my steam mates who bought it to give me a full review on it. What I got was that the AI is dumb and the game really has no goal so that means you end up with 30 people in a game dicking around more than anything. It doesnt seem to force you to kill per-say. Personally, I felt that after watching all the youtube shots and hearing from others that its CSS meets L4D. I would still love to check it out, but to pay for a game that is basically a mod in my view doesnt seem fun from my wallets' stand point, even at $20. I dont like paying for something I'm not going to end up using and enjoying. If its ever on sale again I might just have to grab it for funzies.

^_^

HobbesMkii:
Maybe I'll wait 'till steam has a sale and pick up both or at least L4D on the cheap.

Also, it looks like you're playing solo, or at least off by yourself a lot there. Is that a pretty common occurrence or was it something about the video selected?

Well, part of it being that when we create video reviews we have some very specific things we want to show off. It's often a lot easier to create a controlled environment to display these things when you're the only one to worry about :)

Did I see a slow-mo effect a-la F.E.A.R. during the supplement or am I going crazy?

Onyx Oblivion:
Did I see a slow-mo effect a-la F.E.A.R. during the supplement or am I going crazy?

Sometimes when you achieve a particularly nice kill, you get a little slow-mo effect that both doubles as an "ooh, nifty" and a bullet time that lets you pick off your next shots with more accuracy. It's a cool feature.

I can't rule out you going crazy, though. ;)

CantFaketheFunk:

Onyx Oblivion:

Sometimes when you achieve a particularly nice kill, you get a little slow-mo effect that both doubles as an "ooh, nifty" and a bullet time that lets you pick off your next shots with more accuracy. It's a cool feature.

I like the idea of multiplayer bullet time, actually. It does work surprisingly well. (Well, apart from the poor sod stuck welding who has to watch slow motion welder action) I hope more games involve it in future.

Singing Gremlin:

CantFaketheFunk:

Onyx Oblivion:

I like the idea of multiplayer bullet time, actually. It does work surprisingly well. (Well, apart from the poor sod stuck welding who has to watch slow motion welder action) I hope more games involve it in future.

SLOW MOTION WELDER ACTION?!

Man, I've always wanted to weld stuff in slow motion.

The trader is the cause of the apocalypse!

She realised that she could monopolise the highly lucrative market of "making money by selling guns to soldiers who magically get money from using said guns to shoot monsters." If she was the only person around who was actually selling weaponry. So she snuck into the labs, unleashed the virus, and then watched as all her competition was killed. Intelligently she then proceeded to steal all their stock so that she could resell it to the soldiers when they arrived.

That woman is a genius, a horrible, evil, genius. And she keeps making lurid sexual remarks to the guys so they wont suspect her, as after all nothing disarms a man as fast a sexual innuendos.

Side note, killing floor is amazing fun. <3 that game.

The game is a lot of fun, and I thought that it distinguished itself from L4D quite well. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be serious or not though, as it is horror, but the trader and the dialogue between teammates are all jabs at humor. One problem I had with it was, that in some maps, after most of a wave has been killed, it gets hard to find the remaining enemies. And you can't enter the trader's pad until all the enemies are killed.

look like a beter looking left for dead
that most of it anyways the wepons look cool but not like i am ever going to play it my computer suck to much for a game of that grateness

You can play Killing Floor on a laptop. I'm not at home now and have only expirienced it on Lowest graphics. Iffin' you can run UT04, you can run KF.

Its an enjoyable game with friends but I really don't like the constant comparison to L4D.

The only thing the two games have in common is zombies and co-op, other than that they feel completely different to play and I enjoy both equally.

The difference between L4D and KF are actually so far that I am glad I bought both of them. L4D doesn't have to horrific atmosphere. KF, has tons of maps, that are custom off their website and an SDK out allowing more content. Already I've got 30 maps I've downloaded from their site. Some good, some bad but all are lengthening of gameplay. The perk system gives anyone with an RPG itch the need to scratch it. Sandbox allows lots of shenanigans to occur with your friends (Get 5 friends start up a server with nothing but fleshpounds on suicidal and change it to 130 spawn then try and stay alive the longest). There are always little things people will miss that are truly fun and deviating of the norm. Good review though !

Dude, I don't think Video reviews are your thing.

carnkhan4:
I wonder if the trader knows the merchant from resident evil 4...

It's a family business.
They get your basic military/survival gear from surplus, dirt-cheap, and sell it at a premium on-location at ground zero, when you need it most and just can't refuse.
It's really quite profitable.

Am i the only one that relised in this review, he misses two enemies?

He forgot the Bloater, who walks around throwing acid up on everyone unlucky enough to get close to him,

And whatever the chainsaw guys name is, who walks around with a huge chainsaw, laying into whatever pisses him off enough.

Minnowism:

He forgot the Bloater, who walks around throwing acid up on everyone unlucky enough to get close to him,

And whatever the chainsaw guys name is, who walks around with a huge chainsaw, laying into whatever pisses him off enough.

Wasn't trying to name all of them :)

Minnowism:

Oi oi, now you've missed several. The chainsaw guy is the Scrake, incidentally. There's also the gorefast; a bigger clot with a big knife for an arm, the stalker; an invisible whispering female zombie, and of course the bleedin' great Patriarch!

looks more scary than left 4 dead...looks good to me =D i hardly ever play these games

Looks way better than Left4Dead.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or