The Escapist Show: Episode 30: Atlus II: Devil Survivor & Knights in the Nightmare

Episode 30: Atlus II: Devil Survivor & Knights in the Nightmare

This week we take a look at Atlus' Devil Survivor and Knights in the Nightmare. Hear The Escapist's senior editor Susan Arendt's thoughts on Atlus games. Russ has a bit of a run in with the cats from DDKR.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
DJ Drunken Master - "Butterflyed Eyes"
Younnat - "Ronin On Air"

Watch Video

Great start to the video, the kittens are great. I wonder what they will do next.

Not sure if it was just me, but the video quality during the credits sequence dropped off dramatically. A lot of the time the screen was too blurry to read anything.

Maybe "Holy Diver" should be the new theme song for the show. Just sayin'.

I spoke with the guys from DDKR. Apparently its not "Holy Diver". I was told that its a DDKR original song called "Hole E. Divah". Its a totally different, 100% original song that they wrote and that they "have no idea what the hell your talking about when you compare it to 'Holy Diver', they sound nothing alike at all".

They also said that if you continue to slander them that they will "sue your ass back to the stone ages plus one more day".

I'm just the messenger on this one...

Tell DDKR that "Hole E. Divah" should be up for every music award in existence!

As for the games, Riviera: The Promised Land was such a charming, innovative title that I actually started playing on my PSP last week. Knights in The Nightmare looks very promising. And its already out, too.

why does the escapist show still bother talking about unintresting games? Russ and ddkr is all that is interesting. And holy diver by dio always reminds me of that excelent south park episode, best song ever!

Very well said opening by Susan; sums up why I love Atlus

I thought their was something familiar looking when I watched some of the Knights in the Nightmare trailer, reminded me a bit of Riveria. Now I know why

The66Monkey:
why does the escapist show still bother talking about unintresting games? Russ and ddkr is all that is interesting. And holy diver by dio always reminds me of that excelent south park episode, best song ever!

What are you talking about? KitN (kitten?) looks awesome. I beat Yggdra Union, and am trying to find Riviera, and I expect that KitN will be just as good.

Personally, I think the Kitten part went on for just a little bit to long. Not too much, but maybe cut about fifteen seconds from it, and it's good.

The66Monkey:
why does the escapist show still bother talking about unintresting games?

If you want to know about Killzone 3 and Halo 4 there are plenty of other sites out there...

Personally I wasn't aware of either of these but they both look interesting... which is kinda annoying since my wishlist is already way too long.

Susan is dead right about Atlus: they really do go above & beyond what's expected from localization. Hopefully others will follow suit.

randommaster:
Personally, I think the Kitten part went on for just a little bit to long.

Agreed.

Damn! R.I.P russ...

The66Monkey:

Uninteresting? I couldn't be more excited about Devil Survivor.

harhol:

The66Monkey:
why does the escapist show still bother talking about unintresting games?

If you want to know about Killzone 3 and Halo 4 there are plenty of other sites out there...

Personally I wasn't aware of either of these but they both look interesting... which is kinda annoying since my wishlist is already way too long.

Susan is dead right about Atlus: they really do go above & beyond what's expected from localization. Hopefully others will follow suit.

randommaster:
Personally, I think the Kitten part went on for just a little bit to long.

Agreed.

Hey that was uncalled for! You don't need to insult people joust because they find strategy-jrpg about as interesting as Yahtzee would find them.

And i dont joust say that these games are uninteresting i am claiming that more or less every game the escapist show has coverd are uninteresting, we all know that modern game designers cant make good games and any attempt to claim otherwise is joust misleading. Even if they where to cover portal 2 or something that most ppl would find intresting it would still fade in comparison to Russ and ddkr.

The66Monkey:
Even if they where to cover portal 2 or something that most ppl would find intresting it would still fade in comparison to Russ and ddkr.

You've redeemed yourself with that bit there. Keep up the good work. Although less of the "what I don't like sucks" would also be great, kthxbye.

Captain Pancake:
Damn! R.I.P russ...

No, he's okay, I just saw him. A few scratches, but he'll survive.

Whew, this episode almost passed me by. A big thanks to Atlus USA's tweet about it. Everytime someone said something about KitN (kitten? conspiracy!) being complicated, I'd think "how complicated can it be?" Now that I've seen it in action.... whoa. That shit looks crazy!

The little white cat reminded me of Meowth.

I might pick these up in a hypothetical world where I did actually get straight A's and got my DS, oh well.

What the hell is a Meowth?

George Palmer:
What the hell is a Meowth?

Cat Pokemon. Unsurprisingly, I have an enormous stuffed one sitting on top of my bookshelf. Wearing a City of Heroes cape and a Halo trucker hat.

ahhh ok...Well I can tell everyone that Meowth was definately NOT an influence. The few bits of Pokemon I have seen I've hated and found boring, repetetive, poorly animated, and in general, pure crap. But thats just me, Im a different breed of kat.

Will I now feel the wrath of people who think that japanese anime can have no flaws? heh

The66Monkey:

Unintresting-- Sorry, uninteresting by whose standards? Just because you are not interested in these games - and, really, why waste your time watching if you don't find them appealing, and why waste your time commenting on this? - doesn't mean that no one else is interested in them.

Also, Russ, those cats are kinda jerks, man. You should have showed 'em some teeth and bristled your beard to make you look more threatening!

Atlus is currently my favorite non multi billion dollar company. They always are off beat and different games. Despite hardly even managing to sell even near 50k units on American shores.

The66Monkey:
why does the escapist show still bother talking about unintresting games? Russ and ddkr is all that is interesting.

What Nerdfury and harhol said. I found them very interesting. Besides, you could find a load of information for any AAA titles almost anywhere. Most of the time building you up to ultimately let you down. It nice to actually see some of the games everyone misses because its not being published by EA, capcom, square, ect.

Loved this episode, funny intro, and very interesting as well. To be honast I have not paid much attention to Atlus games, but im going to go hire some now and see what I think, they look good.
Thank you for talking about games that are not as popular and you enjoy, as I probly would not have known about them if not for the escapist show.

So THAT is why the cats were in the office the other day. I had no idea they had a shoot.

Wow, such foul language from such adorable kittens...

My world has been turned upside-down face.

I've only played two Atlus games (Persona 4 and I'm playing Persona on PSP now), and so far, I'm really impressed with how they do RPGs--they are quirky in a good way. I'm definitely going to have to pick up Devil Survivor.

yeah_so_no:
I've only played two Atlus games (Persona 4 and I'm playing Persona on PSP now), and so far, I'm really impressed with how they do RPGs--they are quirky in a good way. I'm definitely going to have to pick up Devil Survivor.

You'll definitely want to try Digital Devil Saga as well or, better yet, Nocturne... if you can find a copy, that is

LOL when Lolcats attack!!!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here