Review: Punch-Out!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Punch-Out!!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Read Full Article

Great review! Even though I downloaded Punch Out with some Wii points, I think I'll have to purchase this anyways.

I played the Original Punch Out!! on the Wii for my first time, not too long ago. My god, what a fun series. I look forward to purchasing the remake, seems like a good investment.

EDIT: Tip to beating Glass Joe: Throw a Goomba in the ring, then just go get a snow cone or something. He'll be K'Oed in No Time.

Hmmm, the question is not whether or not I should get the game, but whether or not I should go now to get it, or wait a bit...

I've only played Super Punch out!! for the SNES, so I don't know what the original is like. Still, I'll look forward to picking this up when possible.

While I would easily say buying Punch-out would be worth it for the replay value and difficulty of the game(those challenges and defending your title are a doozy) one could easily get by with a rent and it would be a worthwhile rent.

nah it looks like fun for a while, think your gonna get bored by it quite fast.
maby fun as a party game or something

blipblop:

Party game? Only if you want a room full of drunken, frustrated guests.

Punch Out! was always meant to be a game about failure. The original arcade version, along with the NES port, sent you back to the start of the circuit when you failed. Now that you have handed over your quarters beforehand, you only need to start the current fight over. After the first few fights, you are EXPECTED to fail at least once before progressing.

Regenerating health meters and chest high walls have no place in Punch Out!, you cannot go toe to toe with your opponents, or they will crush you. The reward for winning is not saving the world, it's being able to show the cheatyface computer who's the boss.

MUST BUY!
I've never played the original, i want this now though.

I have played the original NES Punch-Out and still do to this day. I don't own the Wii version yet but am going to someday purchase it. I have found that throughout the game Great Tiger is much more difficult than he was in the NES. I have gone to the third Circuit and have reached Bald Bull but haven't fought against him yet. They brought back Aran Ryan from Super Punch-Out and has a head butt attack reminiscent of Masked Muscle except Aran will jump onto the ropes then try to skull bash you.

Overall I truly enjoyed this game and will purchase it soon.

i never thought this game would ever get remade.

When I first heard about this game I was being a pessimist. Going "oh no they are going to ruin it" "it's not going to be anything like the original" "they will just tack on stupid things that will make me hate them" I am soooooo glad I was wrong.

randommaster:

blipblop:

Punch Out! was always meant to be a game about failure. The original arcade version, along with the NES port, sent you back to the start of the circuit when you failed. Now that you have handed over your quarters beforehand, you only need to start the current fight over. After the first few fights, you are EXPECTED to fail at least once before progressing.

Regenerating health meters and chest high walls have no place in Punch Out!, you cannot go toe to toe with your opponents, or they will crush you. The reward for winning is not saving the world, it's being able to show the cheatyface computer who's the boss.

well maby, I have never played punch out on arcade only on the NES.
and yes maby the saving system was crap but allmost every NES game had a shity saving system if non at all. and it didīt have anything to do with me puting quarters in my nintendo :)
anyway what I meant was this game probably is nothing more mediocre
but the 2player lookīt ok, not good but ok. possible a nice little party game that you can drink some beers too and smack your friends faces in.

Itīs nice, how they keep treating goodies to us nostalgia freaks. I used to play the NES Punch-Out! back in the day, and I liked it. Maybe now the day, when I beat Tyson, will finally come *Shakes fist*.

Nice review. Thanks for this.

Is it really that good? I guess I'm going to have to rent it sometime then.

Your opinion on it is good enough for me. Beating Tyson (from punch-out) in IWBTG is the hardest piece of gaming I've ever played.

I think I might rent it.

I'm very glad they didn't ruin it by changing the core gameplay...

Honestly, some of my favorite sequels are pretty-much rehashes of the old game with a little more extra stuff (Take the F-Zero X to F-Zero GX jump, for example.)

I'm pleasantly surprised. My friend picked this up and he's actually having a ball of a time.

Baneat:
Your opinion on it is good enough for me. Beating Tyson (from punch-out) in IWBTG is the hardest piece of gaming I've ever played.

Battletoads: Level 3.

blipblop:

randommaster:

blipblop:

and yes maby the saving system was crap but allmost every NES game had a shity saving system if non at all. and it didīt have anything to do with me puting quarters in my nintendo :)
but the 2player lookīt ok, not good but ok. possible a nice little party game that you can drink some beers too and smack your friends faces in.

The save system was directly from the arcade game, which made you start back at the beginning so that you had to go through all the earlier fights before getting to where you were. That was purely for eating quarters, but the NES version retained it for whatever reason. I would have loved to hear about you trying to put quarters in your NES, though.

Anyways, the vs. mode does seem like it would make a good game to play while drunk. Almost as much as someone putting quarters into their NES. What I would suggest is that the two people face each other instead of the screen and simulate the game in the living room.

Here's something I get to brag about: back when this game was in development I was able to test it for four straight hours. In fact, I can only tell you this now because the game existence is now common knowledge; therefore, the agreement with Next Level Games that says I legally must keep my mouth shut is void. I got to tell you, there are few things more satisfying than watching a game designer crap his pants when the game breaks from a massive error that he didn't know about.

Flying-Emu:

Baneat:

there are harder parts in Battletoads than the hover ski part.

that is why i am waiting

I did notice one major difference. Mario is not the referee

So, is Mike Tyson still the final boss that's damn near unbeatable? Or did they replace him with someone else? Also, does this mean the we'll see a new version of "N***a stole my bike" flooding youtube?

xitel:
So, is Mike Tyson still the final boss that's damn near unbeatable? Or did they replace him with someone else? Also, does this mean the we'll see a new version of "N***a stole my bike" flooding youtube?

Tyson became "Mr. Dream" in the original Punch-Out after Nintendo's license expired. In the new version, he's the slightly more sinister "Mr. Sandman." But yeah, pretty much still Tyson.

Jordan Deam:

xitel:

Tyson became "Mr. Dream" in the original Punch-Out after Nintendo's license expired. In the new version, he's the slightly more sinister "Mr. Sandman." But yeah, pretty much still Tyson.

Ah, so in other words he looks like Tyson, feels like Tyson, but isn't Tyson? I Can't Believe It's Not Tyson!

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:

Baneat:

Yes, that Level 3 is a bitch but if you pass it you find that the level of difficulty does increase very much to the point where you do a controller slam and pop in a different game. For example....Killer Rubber Duckies....they hit you and you lose a full bar of life instantly.

For those who are considering renting make sure you have a completely open schedule because you may want this game to occupy the entire days of which Wii Punch-Out would be rented for.

randommaster:

blipblop:

randommaster:

blipblop:

The save system was directly from the arcade game, which made you start back at the beginning so that you had to go through all the earlier fights before getting to where you were. That was purely for eating quarters, but the NES version retained it for whatever reason. I would have loved to hear about you trying to put quarters in your NES, though.

Anyways, the vs. mode does seem like it would make a good game to play while drunk. Almost as much as someone putting quarters into their NES. What I would suggest is that the two people face each other instead of the screen and simulate the game in the living room.

this is actually how you play the game in vs mode. and your apponent gets KO if you brake your wii nunchuk on your freinds face.

blipblop:

randommaster:
really long conversation

this is actually how you play the game in vs mode. and your apponent gets KO if you brake your wii nunchuk on your freinds face.

I take it you've played Wii boxing like this to be so familliar with the scoring system?

Hmm this is cool enough to almost make me want to get a wii...almost being the operative word.

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:

Baneat:

Just saying.

Punch Out!! isn't nearly as hard as Battletoads.

Seriously? $50 for a game that's been already made before? Wow. Just wow.

On the other hand, it makes sense. I just take Duck Hunt, put on some shiny graphics and and achievements, and there. Another blockbuster.

Flying-Emu:

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:

Baneat:

Just saying.

Punch Out!! isn't nearly as hard as Battletoads.

To true. I'd say there are quite a few old Nintendo games harder than punch out. Strider, Mega Mans (cept 2), Bionic Commando, Contra, I could make a good long list.

what's with the pineapples and bananas? bananas ananas?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here