Escape to the Movies: Up!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Up!

MovieBob takes on the latest Pixar film, Up!

Watch Video

I was looking forward to this one, let's see if I have the time to go watch it between the exams and project deliveries.

So, can we consider "escape to the movies" the new MobieBob "series"? Would be about time too. MovieBob = Win.

Well, I must say I was more impressed by this review. When not in fanboy mode, it seems MovieBob is capable of speaking in a measured, calm, informative way and is quite nice fellow.

I rather enjoyed the tangent in which he exposed on some film theory too. More like this please Bob.

I think that when it comes down to these kind of movies, Pixar is invincible.

Wow your best review in my opinion.

Its funny, last week I saw Night at the Museum. Before the movie stared I was flooded with previews of mediocre kid films. But one movie looked very promising, and that was Up! I seen the previews and I cant wait to see this film.

Sounds great, going to see when the 'rents get back.

Does Doug > Scrat or Sid though?

i love the look of this...yet another great pixar movie i wanna see...

ampa451:

Have Pixar ever released a bad film?

well, I'm sold.

I am going to the movies today (Or at the very least trying) and it came down to a chioce between Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, or Up! After seeing this review, I am definitly going to go see Up!, because what I want in a movie is characters with emotional heart and depth, and Moviebob has communicated that this movie has just that. Congratulations on the new series, and thank you.

I really didn't need MovieBob to tell me this was going to be good, but this was a nice review nonetheless (despite my intense disagreement with his Star Trek review *glares*).

Still you KNOW you've got a good one on your hands when watching the trailer almost makes you jump for joy.

I'm glad to see it today ^^

Wow. MovieBob. This was... Really good! You do better when you're being optimistic, man - really enjoyable! I haven't heard of Up!, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:

Not that I'm aware of, but I hear Cars is the weakest of them.

That was a good review, usually MovieBob's kind of whiney and fanboyish, but optimism suits him.

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:

Did they do Flushed Away? Not bad per say but not as good

That was an excellent review I didn't know Bob had that in him. I like how you make those references to books most people have never heard of (Heart of Darkness) hopefully that made a couple people Wiki it so they can learn what a great book is.

That was a really good review, I will have to go and see this now. Thanks MovieBob.

Now maybe it was because he was more positive this time, but it was nice to see a better review compared to the last one I saw, which was Star Trek.

I had some frank problems with that review, and the way in which it was conducted, but this one seemed to bounce back from those 'issues', even if the technical aspect of the delivery still drives me up the wall. Hopefully it wasn't merely because he enjoyed the film, but I'd like to think of this as an example of how you don't need piles of swearing to be informative, entertaining, and clear on your points. Much better then the Star Trek review. Which, by the way, I saw just the other day and enjoyed. But, then again, I'm not a star Trek fan so maybe the big fans have more to complain about.

Again: technical issues still annoying the crap out of me, but the script and delivery were much much better. Moviebob, I hope this is the cautious beginning of a long fan-ship.

stormcaller:

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:

No, that was Dreamworks.

Vanguard1219:

stormcaller:

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:

No, that was Dreamworks.

Ok then, nup Pixar is golden.

I'd like to make this point though, maybe the father/son "boy" movie thing may have come partially from the Disney cartoon movies. Think Lion King, Tarzan, Hercules.

I'm not spoiling any of the movie for myself, I'll watch that video when I see the movie. But still UP!

The best moviebob review I've seen so far, although I'm not a fan of the style of delivery. I was concerned when it started building up to 'a much overlooked recurrent theme', as I felt it may just be a pathetic attempt to appear original. However, the section on the male dynamic in Pixar films so far was enlightening without being too tangential. The previous reviews were much too fanboyish for me, but if the reviews continue in this more rational vein then I may warm to them. I liked most of the references, but there were perhaps too many.

Can't wait to see the film, I'm hoping for a complete Pixar collection when this comes out. There was one released a year ago or so, but it had quite a limited run and no Wall-E so I didn't bother.

I don't think I will ever understand why the Terminator and X-men films can ever claim to have had a reputation as intelligent action films. Not when films like Equilibrium exist.

It did seems at times that moviebob was teetering on the edge of gushing, but where pixar are concerned that seems wholly justified. At times the review got pretty deep, but this was ruined a bit by moviebob not letting Transformers go - it really wasn't that bad...

EDIT:

pigeon_of_doom:
I don't think I will ever understand why the Terminator and X-men films can ever claim to have had a reputation as intelligent action films. Not when films like Equilibrium exist.

You're going to have to explain that one. Equilibrium seemed pretty one dimensional to me. If the idea of that movie was to point out if you want positive emotions, you need negative emotions and we all better off having both than just being emotionless - surely that's a moot point anyway...it felt to me like Equilibrium was masquerading as an intellectual action film as much as Terminator with their ongoing blurry division between humanity and robots thread...

Good as always MovieBob. As insightful as always.

(PS. Don't let The Escapist community change you. You're at your best when you're tossing out the veil of "it's just a movie" and giving the movie an under the hood approach that's theoretical and deep.)

(PPS. Nice theme music)

I wasn't sure about this or Terminator, haven't seen Moviebob's take on it, but I'll go with Up for the win. Next movie I'll see at least

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:

Cars was pretty crappy. A Bug's life was not bad. But I think Cars was there weakest if not worst film.

carnkhan4:

You're going to have to explain that one to me. Equilibrium seemed pretty one dimensional to me. If the point of that movie was to point out if you want positive emotions, you need negative emotions and we all better off having both than just being emotionless - surely that's a moot point anyway...it felt to me like Equilibrium was masquerading as an intellectual action film as much as Terminator with their ongoing blurry division between humanity and robots...

There was at least a kind of unifying philosophical point you got from the film (no matter how obvious it may be) and I never got anything like that from Terminator or X-Men (been a while since I have seen any of these films though). I just remember an occasional musing on the nature of machines in Terminator, and some typical Marvel social commentary in X-men. Equilibrium was the best example I could come up with, as I found films like the Matrix and Dark Knight quite shallow, while films like Blade Runner or 12 Monkeys don't quite have enough action to be good comparisons. I'm not actually into action films that much, but Terminator and X-Men are hardly the poster boys for intelligence in the genre which was what I was contesting.

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:

"A bug's life" and "Cars" weren't great.

PedroSteckecilo:
I really didn't need MovieBob to tell me this was going to be good, but this was a nice review nonetheless (despite my intense disagreement with his Star Trek review *glares*).

Still you KNOW you've got a good one on your hands when watching the trailer almost makes you jump for joy.

I agree with everything you said, I quite liked Star Trek and it was nice to hear a review from him from a non-fanboy point of view. This movie looks absolutely amazing but I can't see it today :( Oh well, I will see it soon.

Up is not released in the UK until October!!!!! Which idiot had that idea, I want him killed.

pigeon_of_doom:
but Terminator and X-Men are hardly the poster boys for intelligence in the genre which was what I was contesting.

When it comes to those two films, it's more about the balance of it to me. Terminator and X-Men aren't necessarily the "smartest" of the scifi genre, but they're smart in proportion to their action as opposed to one rising at the other's expense.

The X-Men movies, much like their comic counterpart, basically engages in a Jr High honors class level discussion of bigotry, discrimination and the conflict between individual exceptionalism and the stability of a larger society... but most action films don't bother with such themes AT ALL (and for a look at how the X-films would look without even THAT much attention paid to the bigger themes, you need look no further than #3.)

The Terminator films, meanwhile, were playing with REALLY out-there scifi concepts in the 80s and 90s. The first film was taking a fairly "realistic" look forward at the idea of computerized defense systems in an era when the term "battlefield computer" would still draw funny looks at the Pentagon. The second film is regarded as featuring one of the first strong visual representations of nanotechnology in the T-1000, a technology most mainstream folks had never even heard of then.

It's nice to see MovieBob so excited after several weeks of feeling meh.

I really have to find time to see this movie now. Pixar consistently does a good job, partially because they aare not rushing things out the door to try and earn jillions.

Also, are'nt names with punctuation, Punch Out!, and now Up!, so fun with a spellchecker?

pigeon_of_doom:

carnkhan4:

You're going to have to explain that one to me. Equilibrium seemed pretty one dimensional to me. If the point of that movie was to point out if you want positive emotions, you need negative emotions and we all better off having both than just being emotionless - surely that's a moot point anyway...it felt to me like Equilibrium was masquerading as an intellectual action film as much as Terminator with their ongoing blurry division between humanity and robots...

There was at least a kind of unifying philosophical point you got from the film (no matter how obvious it may be) and I never got anything like that from Terminator or X-Men (been a while since I have seen any of these films though). I just remember an occasional musing on the nature of machines in Terminator, and some typical Marvel social commentary in X-men. Equilibrium was the best example I could come up with, as I found films like the Matrix and Dark Knight quite shallow, while films like Blade Runner or 12 Monkeys don't quite have enough action to be good comparisons. I'm not actually into action films that much, but Terminator and X-Men are hardly the poster boys for intelligence in the genre which was what I was contesting.

I suppose you're never really going to get a great deal of depth as that 'action' aspect is always going to be peeling away at the time in order to keep the audience interested. Just look what happened to H.G.Wells' War of the Worlds. Equilibrium at least definitely delivers on the action side and attempts some kind of message I suppose. I think the genre could do with a lot of improvement though...

A movie that made Moviebob say not a single bad thing about it? I knew it was gonna be good... BUT THAT GOOD?!

MovieBob:

When it comes to those two films, it's more about the balance of it to me. Terminator and X-Men aren't necessarily the "smartest" of the scifi genre, but they're smart in proportion to their action as opposed to one rising at the other's expense.

The Terminator films, meanwhile, were playing with REALLY out-there scifi concepts in the 80s and 90s. The first film was taking a fairly "realistic" look forward at the idea of computerized defense systems in an era when the term "battlefield computer" would still draw funny looks at the Pentagon. The second film is regarded as featuring one of the first strong visual representations of nanotechnology in the T-1000, a technology most mainstream folks had never even heard of then.

Thanks for clearing that up, I see what you were getting at now. As I only saw Terminator some time after I had played Metal Gear Solid, the nanotechnology talk was rather underwhelming. I liked the gritty aesthetic, but I only ever saw it as a brainless action film; me as a 13yr old was never going to appreciate it's cultural context.

carnkhan4:
I think the genre could do with a lot of improvement though...

Agreed. Kurosawa showed 60 years ago that it's possible to combine action films with artistic merit (albiet with about an hour and a half of character development in Seven Samurai). The genre really should have developed much further in that regard by now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 62222)