Escape to the Movies: Up!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:
I think that when it comes down to these kind of movies, Pixar is invincible.

Have Pixar ever released a bad film?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NO! Everyone of them is amazing and always will! That's Disney and Pixar for ya! :D

Wall-e was my favorite out of all of them. I loved how they tied "Hello Dolly" into the movie ^_^

Wow the truth hurts... out of all the high-end action movies trying to mirror their glory days that came out, Bob's favorite movie is an original cartoon made by a company that targets children. This has to have been the least likely outcome imaginable.

Youve inspired me to go see it this week Bob.
I was gunna pass up on it, but not anymore!

Thanks Bob!
Great, if the best review youve done!

Maet:
I just saw it today (*cough*), and I must say that I ended up feeling mixed about it. I adore Pixar as much as the next guy, but I thought that the villain was very poorly executed.

I thought they set up that aspect of the bad guy well-enough, though it's done subtley and never explicitly said presumably to avoid frightening the much younger kids in the audience...

SPOILER:

Despite your seething Nerd-Rage over Star Trek not being about interstellar diplomacy and talking for 2 hours straight, I'm glad to see you enjoyed Up as much as me. Perhaps you're not a professional troll after all.

I think all Pixars movies are great. That cars is considerd there worst is news to me.

If I had to personaly pick a least favorite I'd probably say bugs life or toy story 2 (I have a thing against sequles).

Darkrai:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Darkrai:

Cpt_Oblivious:

ampa451:
I think that when it comes down to these kind of movies, Pixar is invincible.

Have Pixar ever released a bad film?

Cars was pretty crappy. A Bug's life was not bad. But I think Cars was there weakest if not worst film.

I will never have anything bad said about A Bug's Life because I loved it as a kid.

Cars was alright, I guess..

I'll watch a bugs life again. I show it before and thought it was ok as a kid

You all realize that 'A Bug's Life' is basically Seven Samurai with cutesy insects and such, right? Kurosawa=win. Therefore Bug's Life=win.

Saw this yesterday, really, really loved it. First two acts were perfect, little sag in the middle but then a pretty rollicking climax. Probably right up there with Incredibles and Ratatouille for most directly thematically complex Pixar work, and definitely as enjoyable as the rest of their flicks. Wall-E still holds the top spot in my heart though, because I am a big old sap for robots falling in love.

Anyway, I enjoyed this review quite a bit, much more so than the others, though I still think it got a little bit hyperbolic ("most powerful visual storytelling ever seen on film?" It was really powerful, but - EVER seen on film - that's a little much). The whole part about masculinity really was quite enlightening. I wonder when we'll see modern animated films that tackle the other side of the gender equation as thoroughly. Maybe Pixar needs to get some female directors?

Also the connections to Herzog and Conrad were very interesting - I scoffed at the sort of outlandishness of Up's premise when it was first revealed, not so much because of what it was but how it fit into what seemed like the narrative tone and framework of the story. Obviously once I saw the film that went away since there's plenty of context, but even moreso now that I consider that there have been stories like Fitzcarraldo out there.

I do have to say that, as interesting as it is to consider the parallels between a "kid's" movie like Up and things like Heart of Darkness, I'm always wary of this perspective (same goes for the argument a post above that A Bug's Life = Seven Samurai). It's almost as if we're (or maybe just I am) so insecure about giving artistic merit to these movies and how that makes us look that we need to say - hey, it's just like X RESPECTED WORK OF FILM/ART/LITERATURE - so you should respect it as much as X too.

That's bullshit, frankly. These are good movies that touch on archetypes and themes that go beyond the cultural milestones like Apocalypse Now. There's nothing wrong with pointing out the parallels like the review does - I just think it's worth saying that we shouldn't (again probably speaking for myself mostly here) feel on any level that we need to do this to justify our opinions.

Much better than your Star Trek review. Keep it up.

stormcaller:
Sounds great, going to see when the 'rents get back.

Does Doug > Scrat or Sid though?

Puh-LEASE don't compare that terrible Ice Age series (it's basically the new Land Before Time with the way they keep spitting-out movies) to anything Pixar. Even Pixar's lesser movies are more inspired than that trite nonsense.

Keane Ng:
I wonder when we'll see modern animated films that tackle the other side of the gender equation as thoroughly.

It's called The Princess and the Frog. Like Moviebob said quite accurately in the review, Disney themselves have been covering the female side of fantasy land pretty well lately.

I freakin' love this movie.

Moviebob consistently proves what a great critic and analyst he is, both on Movies and on Videogames with his Game Overthinker blog.

I googled Up! and found it's page on imdb. UK released date... 16th October.

Cheers Bob. You've got me all giddy and psyched up about a movie i can't legitimately see for months. I hate it when region differences screw audiences over like this.

I'm looking forward to this, looks funny.

Although I heard on radio, The movie industry is moving to 3D because you can't really pirate 3D movies. When you record 3D movies with a cam, it comes out all messed up. Damn them pirate hating scumbags.

iJosh:
I'm looking forward to this, looks funny.

Although I heard on radio, The movie industry is moving to 3D because you can't really pirate 3D movies. When you record 3D movies with a cam, it comes out all messed up. Damn them pirate hating scumbags.

A visual image in a cinema, from a projector i guess, will be the same whether it was a traditionally animated 2D movie, a computer generated 3D movie or whether it is live action. It's getting on that big screen the same way.

Also, the way Moviebob says the word "Awesome" at the end of this video, that's how this word should be said if ever uttered ever again.

Idocreating:
A visual image in a cinema, from a projector i guess, will be the same whether it was a traditionally animated 2D movie, a computer generated 3D movie or whether it is live action. It's getting on that big screen the same way.

That's not entirely correct, actually. 3D movies - i.e. the type you need 3D glasses for - come out of the projector differently. The 3D "effect" is accomplished by laying multiple copies of the same moving-images over one-another altered at slightly different angles, which the 3D glasses you're wearing then "merge" in your field-of-vision into a single image with the added-illusion of "depth." When viewed WITHOUT the glasses, the onscreen-image appears to be fuzzy and off-center.

In this respect, 3D represents as massive win-win-win for Hollywood: They get to sell the product in a form you CAN'T get on home theatre, the "fuzziness" of the hard-copy of the film makes successful piracy next to impossible AND they can legitimately charge more money per ticket.

Why is it that just when I was about settled on hating MovieBob as a fanboy and pathetic Yahtzee knock-off he suddenly comes out with a couple of not awful reviews? I still don't like his style (which continues to feel like a weak attempt at Yahtzeeism), but it's good to see that he's at least making an effort to sound legitimate with his criticisms.

I agree with everything you said. Amazing movie. I teared up so many times in that movie. I won't go into why, but it wasn't just when Carl became a widower. Towards the end though, they were tears of joy. Fantastic movie, no other way to describe it.

CantFaketheFunk:
well, I'm sold.

yes gonna have to check this out.

Excellent, but one thing is just making my eyebrow twitch:
universal appeal =/= masculine.

They're male because, socially, male is "normal." If they had a female protagonist, then their being female would have to play a role in their portrayal in order to be accepted by the general audience. Half the roles in Pixar movies, if it weren't for the mandatory love interest, could easily be gender swapped without them effecting the story.
Also, go read "The Alchemist" then watch "Ratatouille." Same basic story, and Coelo novel is pretty much a summary of half of the world's ancient legends.
Pixar works because it draws from stories that are innately within us, in ways that most other studios have foregone for sex idols and CGI explosions.

MovieBob:

Idocreating:

That's not entirely correct, actually. 3D movies - i.e. the type you need 3D glasses for - come out of the projector differently. The 3D "effect" is accomplished by laying multiple copies of the same moving-images over one-another altered at slightly different angles, which the 3D glasses you're wearing then "merge" in your field-of-vision into a single image with the added-illusion of "depth." When viewed WITHOUT the glasses, the onscreen-image appears to be fuzzy and off-center.

In this respect, 3D represents as massive win-win-win for Hollywood: They get to sell the product in a form you CAN'T get on home theatre, the "fuzziness" of the hard-copy of the film makes successful piracy next to impossible AND they can legitimately charge more money per ticket.

Ah sorry, i thought he meant 3D computer generated films, not the 3D films with the silly glasses. I see his point now. And your gameoverthinker needs some videos on here, I'll say it again, Bob is a quality critic, great at analyzing and someone who is generally a lot easier to take seriously when being overtly negative about something.

It what sets him apart from Yahtzee, Bob can usually backup his negative points about something with legitimate good reasons whereas Yahtzee just goes way off track sometimes, lamenting a problem that's got nothing to do with what he's reviewing, or something that most people don't give a shit about.

I don't think its POSSIBLE for Pixar to release a bad film.

I literally just got back from seeing this, and in my opinion, this review is spot on. Up!is the best movie I have seen for quite a while, and is the first movie I can remember that has genuinely affected me emotionally. If you haven't seen it, then go do it now.

Hmm...your analysis of Pixar as being male-oriented was a bit jading for me, since I considered them to be actually balanced all around the family, disregarding age or gender.
Nonetheless informative, and you certainly prove yourself to be quite well-read (in literature and film, alike).

Definitely going to see this, though I don't mind the vapid action flick for cheap thrills (hey, school's out and it's summer, I got time to kill).

I liked the great, shining praise you lauded on them.
Pixar has never failed to impress me my whole life with its standard-setting visuals and absolutely wondrous story-telling (though that sappy, kid-pandering piece of shit Cars may be an exception to the rule).
Your gushing admiration for them reaffirms my beliefs, not to mention gave me chills of anticipation down my spine.

Just watched this movie in 3D. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! Very touching. Very emotional. Very good.

Best movie this year so far. Best movie in a long time.

great movie but I liked the Incredible's story a little more.

13lackfriday:
Hmm...your analysis of Pixar as being male-oriented was a bit jading for me, since I considered them to be actually balanced all around the family, disregarding age or gender.

I wouldn't say that they're "male-oriented," just that they have thus far prominently featured male protagonists and tend to feature stories and themes grounded in issues and outlooks (honor, father-figures, "journey to manhood," etc) that - correctly or not - have been more associated with the masculine psyche throughout cultural history. I don't see it as a conscious decision on their part, other than perhaps they're continued focus on telling stories you don't see as often in animation. A good movie is a movie that anyone can get something out of regardless of it's perspective, in this regard.

Great review, they've all been spot on as far as I'm concerned and I can't wait to see more. Nice to have found somewhere to get away from the IMDB message boards which have become over run with people who think films like Twilight and High School Musical deserve MTV movie awards.

And forget children, I'm 26 and Doug is now my favorite character.

Pixar will always deserve numerous accolades... holy crap I've been laying the big words on thick lately, haven't I?
I've seen the movie it is exactly as described only better and the flying house bit reminds me of a short by Monty Python about Corporations being taken over. I had serious flashbacks to The Most Dangerous Game as well.
Just watch the movie.

MovieBob:

13lackfriday:

I wouldn't say that they're "male-oriented," just that they have thus far prominently featured male protagonists and tend to feature stories and themes grounded in issues and outlooks (honor, father-figures, "journey to manhood," etc) that - correctly or not - have been more associated with the masculine psyche throughout cultural history. I don't see it as a conscious decision on their part, other than perhaps they're continued focus on telling stories you don't see as often in animation. A good movie is a movie that anyone can get something out of regardless of it's perspective, in this regard.

Huh...I guess that would be the truth...definitely unconscious since I was totally unaware of that leaning till you pointed it out.
Thanks for expanding on that...gave me some more perspective on a childhood wonder of mine.

I guess there's just more opportunity for exposition with male characters...like you said, with their growth and the trials and tribulations they experience in the process.

I saw this yesterday, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried.

This is probably Pixar's best work for drawing emotions out of the viewer, but is a far cry from their best comedy-wise, but that could just be because I'm older now.

I saw this and you couldn't be more right on the points you made except for the Star Trek one...GRRR anyway great review

On IMDB (internet movie data base) up is number 12 of best movies of all time. Apparently its like...really good? lol

Onyx Oblivion:
I saw this yesterday, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried.

This is probably Pixar's best work for drawing emotions out of the viewer, but is a far cry from their best comedy-wise, but that could just be because I'm older now.

I cried like 4 times. This movie was ridiculously good. Up until the movie started, I was acting like this experience was going to be a complete waste of 3 hours of my life (yes, three. to get a good seat in the theater, we actually had to leave early). I mean, the first dramatic scenes were so effective that I just broke into tears whenever they simply REFERENCED it.

And Moviebob was right. Doug fucks my shit up. Whenever my dog comes up to me now, I can't help but

Krakyn:
Doug fucks my shit up. Whenever my dog comes up to me now, I can't help but

Yeah, memo to Disney: You want to make another trillion this year? Make a little "Dug Quotes Box" thingee people can put on dog-collars that randomly spits out his lines whenever the thing moves. People will buy TONS of those...

This movie seems like quite a good interest. I might take my nephew to see it sometime. I especially like the

SQUIRREL!

I especially like the twist of how they never give away the plan of the "villain". That will be an interesting thing to see.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67419)