N-Gage: Is it Ovi, Once and For All?

N-Gage: Is it Ovi, Once and For All?

The Pocket Gamer Report kicks off with a look at the N-Gage, the mobile platform that might've been.

Read Full Article

You misspelled "Over".

"for all intents and purposes, the N-Gage is dead"

Was it ever alive?

"Was it ever alive?"

Not exactly, but at least Nokia understood that and did something to correct it. Finally.

And I say N-Gage better stay buried, now that they are replacing the entire concept with the Ovi-store.

The original N-gage was horrendous. Now, since there are several different phone models you can use to play the games, things might get better. Both for the gamers and for Nokia.

At least, one hopes so.

Honestly who owned one of those things? Well good bye N-gage, off to join all the other tech ideas that just couldnt ever get it right.

N-Gage is one huge buggy fail. I have a Nokia N96 and it just refuses to accept codes for games, and is just on huge fail.

Damn Nokia, learn from mistakes, please?

Kukul:
You misspelled "Over".

It was a pun. If you read the article then you would know that 'Ovi' is the name of the Apple App store and that is what is said to be bringing the fall of the N-Gage.

Wait... this thing still exists? In any way, shape or form? I honestly forgot about this thing something like a year after it came out... I'm a little concerned for anyone who owns one of these =O

MrPop:

Kukul:
You misspelled "Over".

It was a pun. If you read the article then you would know that 'Ovi' is the name of the Apple App store and that is what is said to be bringing the fall of the N-Gage.

If you read the article then you would know that 'Ovi' is the name of Nokia's App store.

Vern:

MrPop:

Kukul:
You misspelled "Over".

If you read the article then you would know that 'Ovi' is the name of Nokia's App store.

Oh the irony. Ahh well. At least it shows that I read (but not very well) the article... >_>

xmetatr0nx:
Honestly who owned one of those things? Well good bye N-gage, off to join all the other tech ideas that just couldnt ever get it right.

I still have one , I don't count as normal, sane people tho.

Taawus:

xmetatr0nx:

haha, thats one way to put it. So did you bother using it as a phone at all? It seems like they never could quite blend the two functions properly, either that or their design team was not all there.

i still have my original n-gage, i like it but the battery is almost worn away to nothing

Taawus:

xmetatr0nx:

I also have one

I played with several of the n-gage prototypes back in the day. Nokia even asked us what we feel is wrong with n-gage as a game device before release. We did a list of things (mostly software issues). None of the issues were corrected before release (that I know of, anyway).

At the same time, a small startup in the US made the greatest palm os device ever - tapwave zodiac. That one had everything n-gage didn't, except for one thing: marketing budget. If tapwave would have had the marketing muscle nokia has, we'd be comparing PSP go with zodiac 4 (or so) today..

Of course I may be tad bit biased as I also played with several zodiac prototypes and they DID change things when we said it felt wrong =)

To me, the success of the iPhone and the app store indicates that openness is the key to creating a new channel for for mobile gaming. It's unfortunate that Nokia's quality control actually may have hurt them in this case - the iPhone has thousands of games at this point, and I'm guessing the number of games worth purchasing probably isn't that much greater than the N-Gage's library. But after the floodgates opened, tons of game developers from all corners of the industry have gotten on board with the iPhone - pretty impressive given that Apple has never been known to be particularly gamer friendly.

Jordan Deam:
To me, the success of the iPhone and the app store indicates that openness is the key to creating a new channel for for mobile gaming.

Having a ready several-millions-strong install base of itunes before launch didn't hurt, either. Is there anyone who actually likes the nokia suite, as a comparison? =)

I thought it's been dead for some time now

Only thing I would want an N-Gage for is TES: Shadowkey. Why? Only to say I have played it and increase my TES superiority. Basically, I just want to be able to eventually say "I played all TES games" but it is unlikely to happen.

xmetatr0nx:

Taawus:

xmetatr0nx:

haha, thats one way to put it. So did you bother using it as a phone at all? It seems like they never could quite blend the two functions properly, either that or their design team was not all there.

Oh yes, i do use it as a phone. I also play games when Im away from my pc. Tony Hawk pro skateboarding ftw.

It was a decent idea to be honest... Just not executed well. Mind you I'm not a fan of IPods either.

If you look at N-Gage as a gaming device was pretty expensive. But if you look at it as a S60 phone, then it was cheap (and with gaming friendly controls).

Wait......... the N-Gage JUST now died? Im sorry, but when you stop seeing commercials for a product, its safe to say that people just want to forget it.....

god i remember when it first came out

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)