You Can't Be the Hero If You're the Rapist

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

DarkNightSleeper:

fact 2) men cant be sexually abused unless it's from another man

Kindly get out of my gender.

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:
I've said it in previous threads...

I'll never ever touch a 'rape' game, however, murder or rape, whats the difference.....both can take and ruin lives, so why a one sided view point by many.

Murder victims don't spend years trying to forget the horror that was done to them. Murder victims don't need therapy and they aren't mentally devastated.

Well... no, because they're dead.

As a rule. Killing in the game is OK if it achieves some end that "saves the world". Unless by raping little girls your somehow killing Aliens, there's no way to get the ESRB to let it be "kosher". There's a line, however vague, and sometimes people cross it. And then they usually get eaten by sharks.

eatdembeanz:

Leorex:
you've obviously never heard of rapeman.

That sounds cool, where may I find this.... Rapeman?

its a Japanese comic.

CantFaketheFunk:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

I'll never ever touch a 'rape' game, however, murder or rape, whats the difference.....both can take and ruin lives, so why a one sided view point by many.

Murder victims don't spend years trying to forget the horror that was done to them. Murder victims don't need therapy and they aren't mentally devastated.

That's the point, the murder victims don't worry about it anymore, their life is over, which sucks, but a rape victim still needs to live their life and they're all torn up inside.

Panzer_God:

CantFaketheFunk:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

That's the point, the murder victims don't worry about it anymore, their life is over, which sucks, but a rape victim still needs to live their life and they're all torn up inside.

So, if your suggesting that death is better than surviving a rape experience you're in favour of euthanasia for them (probably even against their will), right?
And no, that's not what you said, but it can be deducted from your statement.

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

Murder victims never get to smile again, infact murder victims never do any thing again.

That and any one who is bring up the fact that killing people can be necessary at time just stop. There are more than enough games where you kill people who you don't need too or even just for the fun off it. Was the bomb in Megaton necessary? Any one ever killed an npc just to get a certain bit of loot? Like the boots of speed in Morrowind? Should all of this be removed? It is all well and good to say killing can be just but when games have to nuking towns how do we justify that? How is this "murder simulator" argument any different from the rape sim argument?

Ziren:

Panzer_God:

CantFaketheFunk:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

So, if your suggesting that death is better than surviving a rape experience you're in favour of euthanasia for them (probably even against their will), right?

Um... How could you derive that from anything I said? Where in your twisted little mind did you decide that I wanted to kill rape victims? I want to kill rapists, not the victims, they need help. My entire position is that I would rather be murdered then raped.

Worsle:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

Murder victims never get to smile again, infact murder victims never do any thing again.

That and any one who is bring up the fact that killing people can be necessary at time just stop. There are more than enough games where you kill people who you don't need too or even just for the fun off it. Was the bomb in Megaton necessary? Any one ever killed an npc just to get a certain bit of loot? Like the boots of speed in Morrowind? Should all of this be removed? It is all well and good to say killing can be just but when games have to nuking towns how do we justify that? How is this "murder simulator" argument any different from the rape sim argument?

It isn't, I don't care about the game because I don't have to play it. Your entire argument was based in fantasy while mine are in reality so our argument won't do anything.

Panzer_God:

Ziren:

Panzer_God:

CantFaketheFunk:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

Um... How could you derive that from anything I said? Where in your twisted little mind did you decide that I wanted to kill rape victims? I want to kill rapists, not the victims, they need help. My entire position is that I would rather be murdered then raped.

No you are claiming people would be better of dead than raped, so he is asking if you think we should kill them. I mean you said they would be better of did you not? Really what is it, better of dead or alive?

Worsle:

Panzer_God:

No you are claiming people would be better of dead than raped, so he is asking if you think we should kill them. I mean you said they would be better of did you not? Really what is it, better of dead or alive?

Yes they are, but that's not up to me. Alive and unraped would be preferable however.

Panzer_God:

Summarizing what you said: You're better off dead than having to live after being raped. That seems pretty clear to me.
Which is of course a stupid to say, as you can't possibly rate that since you're obviously alive. People can recover from a rape experience. I've yet to see someone recover from death.

Edited for bad English.

UtopiaV1:
Has anyone actually PLAYED this game? It's pretty badly made anyway, for a strictly gameplay point of view, theres no depth or progression, its just shallow and simple, with no rewards or achievements for doing a 'good job'!

uh... Actually there there is progression and you can unlock all the modes when you finish the storyline.

Ziren:

Panzer_God:

Summarizing what you said: You're better off dead than having to live after being raped. That seems pretty clear to me.
Which is of course a stupid to say, as you can't possibly rate that since you're obviously alive. People can recover from a rape experience. I've yet to see someone recover from death.

Edited for bad English.

Have you ever actually seen a rape victim, have you ever had to help somone heal after their life was torn apart, have you ever seen the pain they are in no matter how long ago it was. Yes, they an recover, but they will never be the same. Assholes like you are the reason the rapists don't fear for their lives.

Panzer_God:

Worsle:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

It isn't, I don't care about the game because I don't have to play it. Your entire argument was based in fantasy while mine are in reality so our argument won't do anything.

Err your argument seems to be juvenile gibberish, unless you want to set me straight here. What argument is based on fantasy and what reality is your argument based on. What facts have you that death is better than being raped? What facts do you have that show nuking a town full of people in a game is worse than raping one in a game? That and if it is do we have a ratio to work with here? 100 deaths = 1 rape? How decides this and does the manner of death matter? Does being scared to death count for more? And that is some thing that can happen, just so you know.

Panzer_God:

Worsle:

Panzer_God:

Yes they are, but that's not up to me. Alive and unraped would be preferable however.

Ah so you have not courage to your conviction and instead think they should magically be unraped? After all no one can go on to have a happy life after they have been raped could they? Unlike the dead they have the potental to go onto... well... err... Are you really so sure?

WrongSprite:

MaxTheReaper:
Just responding to the question in the OP: Because murder can be justified.
See also: Dexter.

Rape can never serve a good purpose.

And now to read.

I give you GTA4. Is cutting down civilians justified? Then maybe they should both be banned.

That random civilian you just killed could turn out to be the next hitler, are you willing to take that chance and allow them to live? Its a service to all to kill anyone and everyone to make sure that all the bad people are killed.

I'm all for a ban of rape games that glorify said act. In fallout cod4 etc yes you kill a LOT but like previously stated it's like an on off switch. Shoot, target is depleted of health and death animation. Repeat X1000. Whereas a "rape" game is more on a personal level and glorifies some sick fantasy. If a "rape game was the same as most fps/3ps/action game I could almost tolerate it, but its not it's a more personal level and a sick crime with no benefit.
If there was a serial killer simulator in which your victims horribly and violently where killed and buchered up by the player there would be similar (justified) outcry.

Industry needs to police itself least the government do it(to an extreme).

Panzer_God:

Kajin:

Bottom line, it never happened in real life. Stop getting your knickers in a twist about it.

hmmm... rape's never happened before, that's a new one. I don't mind the games simply because I don't have to play them but rape shouldn't be made into a game. It is already so I'm going to drop it but still....

Actually..who said I was talking about the victims...what about the victims families.

I'm not condoning rape or murder, either is disgraceful in my book, the point im making is IMO both are wrong, and one shouldnt be seen worse than the other.

Panzer_God:

Ziren:

Panzer_God:

Edited for bad English.

Have you ever actually seen a rape victim, have you ever had to help somone heal after their life was torn apart, have you ever seen the pain they are in no matter how long ago it was. Yes, they an recover, but they will never be the same. Assholes like you are the reason the rapists don't fear for their lives.

Actually I have, too many times that I care to remember. Let me tell you now, all these girls a greatful they were still alive.

Assholes like you are the reason the rapists don't fear for their lives.

So we are assholes for saying murder is just as bad.......a little bit of a paradigm there surely?

Panzer_God:

Have you ever actually seen a rape victim,

To be honest: Not within ten years after it had happened to her, because I wasn't born then.

have you ever had to help somone heal after their life was torn apart

Not in the context of rape, no.

have you ever seen the pain they are in no matter how long ago it was.

Yes, I have seen several emotional breakdowns she had. Particularly after her trying to restore contact with her parents (who blamed her and do so until this day) and after some asshole from her workplace thought he had to make a rape joke. And she would probably also have one if she read a post by some asshole on this forum telling her that she should have died that day.

Yes, they an recover, but they will never be the same.

True. I still fail to see how they would be better off dead. Recovery gives you a new chance to live a relatively normal life. Death doesn't give you that chance.

Assholes like you are the reason the rapists don't fear for their lives.

What does this have to do with anything I said?

DarkNightSleeper:
RAAAAWWRRRRRRRR

fact 1) you are a male

Wat?

This is stupid and very presumptuous.

fact 3) rape leaves a psychological imprint into a female's mind

Rape is worse then death because in death at least u dont have to live further on in life with a pain always inside of you. I believe death is better than knowing you have been sexually abused.

It's a disgrace to women saying that rape isn't as bad. It is just as worse perhaps even more so in killing a person.

ofc this is a bias perception as i am female but it makes me, as a female, insecure knowing that a game like this is provoking rape.

It should be banned in all countries.

And this is downright infuriating. Do you personally know any rape victims? I do. They'd probably slap anyone who told them they'd be better off dead.

And lets be pragmatic, there's this "pain" you're talking about that's worse than death. But such a unilateral statement is ignorent. Most people are able to completely recover, at least to the point of having the same quality of life as everyone else. People get better. I bet you can't find one rape victim who, years afterwards, actively wants to die.

TL;DR it's fully possible to recover from rape. And while yes you don't have to deal with any pain. Well, it's because you're dead. The end. Good night. No longer existing. You can't feel anything. Death is what pain leads up to.

[/quote] By supporting a ban, as Penn Jillette recently noted, we relegate ourselves to a lower and lesser order of media consumer, only a gentle nudge away from becoming slavering animal driven by our basest urges. [/quote]

I won't make a huge deal out of this, but we as people have survived over generations without video game developments. Games on systems only been around for 30 years at top so I suggest banning wouldn't make a difference in the human concious. I also have to say u'r right bout violence is a bad substance in reality added to variety of gaming...but, rape to me even as a guy is a far more supierior problem, because it deals with unhuman and such deeply disturbing image of a girl overpowered to be used is a shock and dread to all of us.
The holocaust is a very dramatic stage in history which non of any race should be considered for, but that's overreacting to the subject by including it in as a game source of play. It's out of question no one play that...but rape is something to consider a uprising to even odder chances of corrupted satifaction. Death, murder...is a viewpoint in society of videogames that people need to let out things they couldn't do in real life. If the game is bad and shows us wrong examples of killing like just randomly killing ppl, yes that's horrible...but in war there is a thing for peace in which we all need to keep and if it means nessicary we have to self defend in violence, which I know we perfer not to have. In Rape...it's not justified by revenge, self defence, even heroism but just a flaw in human life. Killing or murder is at least a common thing in life which should be evoided, but rape I believe should be banned period. If u disagree it's fine just thinking of how rape would help our fun in games...besides misusing women as toys which are also beings.

sneakypenguin:
I'm all for a ban of rape games that glorify said act. In fallout cod4 etc yes you kill a LOT but like previously stated it's like an on off switch. Shoot, target is depleted of health and death animation. Repeat X1000. Whereas a "rape" game is more on a personal level and glorifies some sick fantasy. If a "rape game was the same as most fps/3ps/action game I could almost tolerate it, but its not it's a more personal level and a sick crime with no benefit.
If there was a serial killer simulator in which your victims horribly and violently where killed and buchered up by the player there would be similar (justified) outcry.

Manhunt and The Punisher have glorified torture and extremely grisly murder. Hitman has allowed the player to murder civilians in quite violent ways. And rewarded it.

I understand the point this article's trying to make, but it's not very well argued, because it misses the elephant in the living room, in most of the games cited where the player kills a lot of people, they're fighting back.

If you'd wanted to make a point about murder in videogames, try addressing a game where the player will actually commit murder, rather than kill in battle or self defence.

Where's your contrast with, for instance, Saint's Row 2

If you claim to make an argument, make it, don't argue against a straw man.

are rape games even fun?

H-games are porn. Porn isn't generally for "fun", at least in the same sense of the word that videogames are fun. Wrong paradigm of mind to think about them.

That's another angle that you don't see much consideration of when people talk about Rapelay or any other h-game (because people won't admit it), the general background of porn in Japan, which tends to feature nonconsensual sex far more often than western made porn (although even here there's a market for that, women being choked on the biggest cock they can find, often until they gag or actually vomit, ass to mouth, etc) and in h-anime it's harder to find straight consensual than rape, even when there's nary a tentacle to be seen, and even in contextless amateur stuff it's rare to find porn where the woman actually sounds like she's enjoying herself. (No wonder their birth rate's one of the lowest in the world, women take one look at what men expect in bed and tell them to fuck themselves. Literally.)

You're looking at the intersection of two media here, videogames and porn. As a videogame, Rapelay doesn't make much impact (unless you consider moving your mouse around a bit "gameplay", you can find flash games with more game in), as porn it's far from the most excessively unpleasant thing you'll find from Japan or otherwise. Acting shocked and indignant is a kneejerk reaction, but not a very incisive one.

Locque:

sneakypenguin:

Manhunt and The Punisher have glorified torture and extremely grisly murder. Hitman has allowed the player to murder civilians in quite violent ways. And rewarded it.

In those games to my knowlege it was a means to an end punisher killing bad dudes hitman bad dudes with civies in the way. Manhunt 2 did get a AO rating (almost, originally?) and was banned a few places. Manhunt is more along the lines of a "rape game" in that the violence done is very personal, but still there was a good side to that violence IIRC(survival?)

Panzer_God:

CantFaketheFunk:

Panzer_God:

Teachingaddict:

If I'm truly worse off continuing my existence after I've been raped then what's to stop me from slitting my wrists in the bathtub and getting it over with? If what you're saying is indeed true, then suicide is by far the most logical course of action, is it not?

Oh btw...(sorry bout last comment it didn't have spaces lol)

Videogames are virtual, so killing them is like they just hide somewhere off screen and if u restart the game they live again. We're thinking to much of reality to consider that rape is just plain wrong.

Like...killing yeah it's bad but rape is totaly unessicary and against what videogames were made to do = have fun, do quests, kill badguys, and gain rewards. Some games misuse that are just being bad@$$ and killing or just having a blood shed just to look cool. That's wrong, but I believe rape is a violation of not only gaming but reminder to ppl how it's like and could lead to more openings in gaming for ppl to play as in more games in USA will be based on more then violence, so ethier way might as well have just one bad thing then being ok with rape and allowing it along with the violent games, yes?

What a relatively happy thread... call me surprised, to say the least.

If we're going to ban rape games, we had better start banning all other forms of rape media. Rape porn, in particular. Rape in cinema and literature, of course, too. (Oh, you mean it's okay so long as the rape isn't glorified? I'll be sure to let the eroge developers know that they just need to tone down the enthusiasm... Oh, you say that it's only not okay in games because the player is engaging in it... that sounds vaguely familiar... hmmm)

Some people have rape as a sexual fantasy. There is pornography for them. Why not games (from both sides, victim and assailant)? As someone else mentioned, much as there's little evidence that mass-murder videogames turn people into mass-murderers, the same can likely be said for rape games (although the market is so small, it would probably be hard to find sufficiently large sample sizes for a survey).

And ditto to someone else bringing up KOTOR... we're okay with games glorifying all sorts of wanton destruction and "evil" behavior, just as long as it isn't rape? WTH? Along the same lines, KOTOR and Fallout and the rest of their ilk bring one of the author's primary points into question: is killing in games only okay because we do it as heroes? Apparently, no. True in some cases, but not as a universal.

Regulate it, age-gate it, age-restrict it, require IDs, boycott stores that sell it, I don't care. But you're throwing up a giant "Look at me, I'm an idiot" sign if you use the word "ban". And if you're OKAY with not banning violent videogames, but want to ban rape-based videogames, add the word "hypocritical" in there.

Locque:

DarkNightSleeper:

This is unbelievably sexist, and untrue.

++. On second thought... ++++

sneakypenguin:
In those games to my knowlege it was a means to an end punisher killing bad dudes hitman bad dudes with civies in the way. Manhunt 2 did get a AO rating (almost, originally?) and was banned a few places. Manhunt is more along the lines of a "rape game" in that the violence done is very personal, but still there was a good side to that violence IIRC(survival?)

Actually the latest part of the Hitman series has

DarkNightSleeper:

You don't need a dick to sodomize someone. All it takes is a really big strap on.

WrongSprite:

MaxTheReaper:
Just responding to the question in the OP: Because murder can be justified.
See also: Dexter.

Rape can never serve a good purpose.

And now to read.

I give you GTA4. Is cutting down civilians justified? Then maybe they should both be banned.

Ironically rape has been through a lot of anthropomorphism, whereas murder is simply the removal of objects in video games. Interchangeable with monsters or walls. Bare in mind that a game like GTA4 presents the gamer with a choice of "cutting down civilians" whereas the narrative based murders are all motivated by the story. I think you should investigate the game more before making those accusations.

sneakypenguin:
In those games to my knowlege it was a means to an end punisher killing bad dudes hitman bad dudes with civies in the way.

Hitman regularly intentionally kills civilians just to accomplish his goal. Furthermore, his targets are quite often far from "bad guys", or at least there's not a shred of evidence that they are. You play a murderer, who kills innocent people. A far worse person than a rapist. I also find it interesting that in other media, no one would ever even consider representing the Punisher as a "good guy" (he's straddling the line between antihero and villain in the comics) but in games, he's suddenly okay? He sadistically and unnecessarily tortures people. Not that they're not bad people, but that doesn't make it okay.

Manhunt 2 did get a AO rating (almost, originally?) and was banned a few places. Manhunt is more along the lines of a "rape game" in that the violence done is very personal, but still there was a good side to that violence IIRC(survival?)

Let's not forget your character was already on death row,with no mention of being innocent, so presumably he's a goddamn psycho. I can't speak for manhunt 2. James Earl Cash also kills police officers. In GTA, the player is given the option to murder innocent civilians, the same in Crackdown. In Black & White, you're given the opportunity to commit mass murder and infant sacrifice. Games constantly allow you to be malicious and do things far worse than rape, without the thin justification of using violence for good, and no one's batted an eyebrow.

There are many points of view on this topic, many of them apparently not so serious and juvenile, but The Escapist isn't an adults only webmagazine. I've shared my own view on the article that reported a call for a ban on rape games, which apparently was erroneus. I still stand on my box, stating that while rape can be worse than murder, and is a horrible offense, it is still a bad precedent to just start banning it in games. It won't stop blackmarket rapegames from being made, and it won't make an inch of difference to rapes in reality.
One question I do have, and I have yet to see it answered, is how a victim of rape might feel on this topic? It is easy to stand on either side of the line on rape in games when you are innocent of the act, but when one has experienced it as a victim, it can be a different more credible point of view. Those who have read this article and the other related ones, if you know someone who experienced rape (and my heart goes out to you and best wishes for a good recovery), ask them how they might feel about it, and where they stand. It is one thing to have advocates, but it is better for victims to put out their say. An atrocity unspoken, is a wound unhealed.

black_omega2:

UtopiaV1:
Has anyone actually PLAYED this game? It's pretty badly made anyway, for a strictly gameplay point of view, theres no depth or progression, its just shallow and simple, with no rewards or achievements for doing a 'good job'!

uh... Actually there there is progression and you can unlock all the modes when you finish the storyline.

HAHAHA, that was just a test to see who HAS played it, gotcha!!!

Yea, i got through the storyline, but it's just too much effort as opposed to regular porn, and the LAST thing u need when watching porn is extra effort :P

And to be fair, there were quite a few things to do after the 'storyline' bit, but few new things, just doing a certain amount of things to certain women, then u get to do OTHER stuff to them... Hey developers, how bout throwing in a new mini-game, or maybe a multiplayer mode? Whoa, wierd territory, forget i said it _

UtopiaV1:

black_omega2:

UtopiaV1:

HAHAHA, that was just a test to see who HAS played it, gotcha!!!

Yea, i got through the storyline, but it's just too much effort as opposed to regular porn, and the LAST thing u need when watching porn is extra effort :P

And to be fair, there were quite a few things to do after the 'storyline' bit, but few new things, just doing a certain amount of things to certain women, then u get to do OTHER stuff to them... Hey developers, how bout throwing in a new mini-game, or maybe a multiplayer mode? Whoa, wierd territory, forget i said it _

haha

Well honestly I don't see why Rapelay has been singled out. There are hundreds of games just like it and worse! Shows how much some people don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Terminalchaos:

If you find rape games so offensive make a game where you hunt down and kill rapists.

Sounds like an MMO idea. Some people play da police, some people play rapists and some people play 14 year old girls.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here