Escape to the Movies: Drag Me To Hell

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

DMtH was a pale imitation of Evil Dead2 and AoD. It also lacked their balance in which the protagonists were allowed to fight back against the tide of evil, small triumphs, moments where you could almost believe they stood a chance. I'm not immature to the point of demanding a "Lived Happily Ever After" ending, but, dayum, I hate hopeless movies. Like the Grudge, where you know from beginning to end that the victims have the same chance as the proverbial snowflake in hell of surviving. It was just a tarted up Friday the 13th; the people in it were just fodder.

The movie is jump scares pinned together by a plot with twists you see coming from a mile away - utterly predictable. I didn't dislike it, I'm enough of a Raimi fan to appeciate the schlock, but I didn't quite like it, either. It'd be a good movie to take a date to, that's about it.

very good film and nice review a little short... also where do i sing to make "movie bob" something weekly?

I'm sorry but this was by far THE WORST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN! I just got back from seeing it with lots of friends and we all hated it equally. I expected Bob to verbally rape this film, but he didn't. I feel like castrating myself after seeing this movie! I want to put a gun between my teeth so I don't have to live with the hideous emotional scar this movie left on me!

The pop-out scare did make me give a "AAH" to "HAA", but since any horror movie makes me stare into dark corners, whimpering, I think I'll just pass this one along.

I did quite enjoy the review, and am going to start watching them more when I have the time.

This movie, from the trailers, look immensily retarded. Seriously, a woman puts a hex on a girl for denying a loan? Are you serious?
I looked on imdb, watched this review, and cannot understand for the life of me why people think this is good.

That all said, I have not seen it yet. Don't think I want to.

MovieBob:

anian:
Something new in comicbook movie genere? How about Dark knight (it has more action and story than all 3 Spiderman movies put together)?

And yet STILL not quite as good as "Spider-Man 2" or the original "Superman" ;)

Oh my considering your review of the Dark Knight, you must really, really, REALLY, love those movies.

PG-13???
It's a 15 in the UK, and that's unheard of nowadays as most things unless they involve gratuitous violence and hardcore sex are a 12a.
I'll give the movie a watch, but it looks cheesy, uninspired, unoriginal & obvious, meaning that it'll be utterly forgetful =\

Mazty:
PG-13???
It's a 15 in the UK, and that's unheard of nowadays as most things unless they involve gratuitous violence and hardcore sex are a 12a.
I'll give the movie a watch, but it looks cheesy, uninspired, unoriginal & obvious, meaning that it'll be utterly forgetful =\

It is. Only one interesting scene that I wasn't expecting, the rest of the movie could've been predicted by anyone.

I must say after watching Drag Me To Hell I can safely say Raimi hasn't completely lost the horror element. It could have been better, but still lets hope he can stay on track and start working on Evil Dead 4 eh?

5stringedbandit:
I must say after watching Drag Me To Hell I can safely say Raimi hasn't completely lost the horror element. It could have been better, but still lets hope he can stay on track and start working on Evil Dead 4 eh?

Evil Dead is done, it's a vicious cycle.

ED 1 = Ash + friends go to house and unleash demons. Find out Necronomicon was locked in castle.

ED 2 = Retelling but adding additional pages to book that allow for time travel.

ED 3 = Ash taking the book and locking it in said castle so it will later be found and cause Evil Dead 1-2.

A mobius strip of Ash cruelty.

I may go watch this, when I first saw the trailer a couple of weeks ago I laughed pretty hard.
I wouldn't imagine that anyone would have made a film about a haunted banker, but hey ho, apparently they have.

I'll give it a look.

They've covered time travel, however they haven't covered dimension or space travel. There are many possibilities with the Evil Dead franchise so long as Sam Raimi isn't looking to overdo it.
However one fear is if he does follow through his plans of writing a new Evil Dead could he miss the charm of the original Evil Dead movies and overdo the CGI

Cliff_m85:

5stringedbandit:

Evil Dead is done, it's a vicious cycle.

ED 1 = Ash + friends go to house and unleash demons. Find out Necronomicon was locked in castle.

ED 2 = Retelling but adding additional pages to book that allow for time travel.

ED 3 = Ash taking the book and locking it in said castle so it will later be found and cause Evil Dead 1-2.

A mobius strip of Ash cruelty.

They've covered time travel, however they haven't covered dimension or space travel. There are many possibilities with the Evil Dead franchise so long as Sam Raimi isn't looking to overdo it.
However one fear is if he does follow through his plans of writing a new Evil Dead could he miss the charm of the original Evil Dead movies and overdo the CGI

All I'm saying here is this is a decent film and it could be a land mark of where Raimi starts to go from Spiderman back to his horror roots, meaning this might not be the last horror we see from Raimi yet.

Fucking loved this movie, reminded me of how much I loved Sam Raimi as a director. Nice to see me and Bob still seem to see eye-to-eye on most films (Haven't been keeping up much with his Escapist show, but loved him on YouTube).

Keep up the reviews, sir.

Also, to add to the "Evil Dead" talk up above, if the story is done via "Army of Darkness", then why are the continuing stories (in both comic AND videogame form) so well connected to the source? It's not hard to continue that story... damn, a "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash" movie would have been awesome... and the comic's story was so good, too...

Huh, I did look unbearably corny as shit from what I'd seen of it so far, but I guess that turns out to be one of its merits, at least according to Bob.

I'm not really into horror in general, and after seeing Spiderman 3, much less one by Sam Raimi.

carnkhan4:
My major issue is the whole gypsy thing. The villain is clearly of the old skool gypsy variety, the kind that in movies that is always an old lady and knows how to curse. So if this is a 'traditional' movie gypsy, why does she have a mortgage? Why isn't she travelling around?

It just feels like the recession has been crowbarred in there to make the film seem more relevant...

lol, way to politicize and bring the whole "gypsy" gimmick into context.

Wait, hostel - and psychological drama? :/

Though on the other hand I've never understood the slasher-movie fanboyness.Seen a lot of them and they're pretty much all ultimately pointless (though, yeah, that's up to everybody's own taste, but the constant non-existent story and just heavy, pointless reliance on gore makes it all seem just kinda pathetic to me; jump-scares are never enough either).

Saw that scary bit coming, and still got scared, wonderful.

I did not enjoy that movie. I dont care to finish it anytime soon, my friend made me walk out after they killed the cat, not that I didn't want to.

Jiki:

Psychological trauma. ;)

At least, that's how someone who doesn't slur his "T's" would say it. Too often, my accent doesn't lend itself well to similar sounding words. I've gotta remember to ennunciate more clearly in such cases...

5stringedbandit:
All I'm saying here is this is a decent film and it could be a land mark of where Raimi starts to go from Spiderman back to his horror roots, meaning this might not be the last horror we see from Raimi yet.

Well if Raimi does go back to his horror roots or whatever, i want him to make a marvel:zombies film, i mean, hes already done spider-man 1&2 (i have never heard of 3, it has been blocked from my memory) and they were decent...

Screw the avengers film, i want marvel:zombies

MovieBob:

Jiki:

Psychological trauma. ;)

Oh, thanks, that explains it all. :P

Also, happy to see you becoming regular here.

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader:

5stringedbandit:

Well if Raimi does go back to his horror roots or whatever, i want him to make a marvel:zombies film, i mean, hes already done spider-man 1&2 (i have never heard of 3, it has been blocked from my memory) and they were decent...

Screw the avengers film, i want marvel:zombies

Raimi actually had nothing to do with Marvel Zombies. Just his character Ash. Therefore if a Marvel Zombies film is to ever be created it is unlikely he'd do the work for it. It would be some dickhead who would no doubt fuck the whole thing up with some shitty Romance element.

13lackfriday:

carnkhan4:
My major issue is the whole gypsy thing. The villain is clearly of the old skool gypsy variety, the kind that in movies that is always an old lady and knows how to curse. So if this is a 'traditional' movie gypsy, why does she have a mortgage? Why isn't she travelling around?

It just feels like the recession has been crowbarred in there to make the film seem more relevant...

You wait until you hear what I have to say about the Snow White and Seven Dwarf clear anti-communism overtones! (just kidding)

''BOO''

i bit my tongue T_T damn you...

any way back on subject this looks to be interesting key word ''looks''...these sort of horrors faze me after a while

Can't win em all I guess, first Movie Bob review I've disagreed with. However, I'm horribly desensitized by Eastern horrors so I found DMTH more predictable, cheesy and comical than scary and couldn't help but pick up on character flaws and poor writing while waiting for it to end. Which BTW is an incredibly predictable ending in a twist style that I wish people would stop using so much. Even Scream made a parody reference to the genre's use of such an ending.

Each to their own though, the other people enjoyed it... but then they think Transformers is the best movie ever made.

i freaking love movie bob's reviews!
and oh god i remember Xena those where the days. =)

Kif:
Can't win em all I guess, first Movie Bob review I've disagreed with. However, I'm horribly desensitized by Eastern horrors so I found DMTH more predictable, cheesy and comical than scary and couldn't help but pick up on character flaws and poor writing while waiting for it to end. Which BTW is an incredibly predictable ending in a twist style that I wish people would stop using so much. Even Scream made a parody reference to the genre's use of such an ending.

Each to their own though, the other people enjoyed it... but then they think Transformers is the best movie ever made.

I was about to argue that it was, indeed, supposed to be cheesy, predictable and comical. That the writing was horribly cliche and doing more as an homage to classic horror films and that the ending, which is the absolute best way they could have ended it, was fantastically well done and made me smile, knowing that he lovesa good cliche ending and isn't afraid to go back to his good ol' gross-out days even when the rest o f the world thinks that Eastern horror is the final frontier...

...but then I read your last statement in which you were implying that I enjoyed a fucking moment of that cinematic abortion that Bay is so happily giving us a sequel to. I'm willing to bet you, cash money, that most of the people who adore mainstream, big-effects garbage didn't like "Drag Me To Hell" any more than you did.
I don't think I like you.

carnkhan4:

13lackfriday:

carnkhan4:

You wait until you hear what I have to say about the Snow White and Seven Dwarf clear anti-communism overtones! (just kidding)

Hmm...you may have a point there.

Disney's never been totally immune to politics, and it'd certainly make sense given the era it was produced in (I think).

when going to a movie, here is the first rule, leave your shit outside the theater, you might find you enjoy more, when you're not trying to pick at it.

I don't really get this film, it seems to be a juvenile dig at the world of banking. Moreover, it seems quite misogynistic. To be honet though I wouldn't expect anything different for a horror film director who clearly has issues with female kind. Also, one who directed the awful Spiderman films.

It's difficult enough for a woman to make it in the industry yet by quite rightly following company guidelines as she is contracted to do she is to become culpable for the wrath of a woman who is essentially stealing by borrowing beyond her means and refusing to pay the money back. I'm not going to see this, if I did I think I'd be disappointed about it being just another pathetic cliched horror film that is way beyond its sell-by date.

GDW:
...but then I read your last statement in which you were implying that I enjoyed a fucking moment of that cinematic abortion that Bay is so happily giving us a sequel to. I'm willing to bet you, cash money, that most of the people who adore mainstream, big-effects garbage didn't like "Drag Me To Hell" any more than you did.
I don't think I like you.

I was actually saying that my friends are fickle with movies and will enjoy anything... they enjoyed Spider-Man 3 too. You read waaaay too much into the statement, but my point is everyone is entitled to different opinions and even if DMTH is supposed to cheesy and comical it wasn't a movie I enjoyed... unlike the very obvious cheesy and comical Shaun of the Dead which I loved.

snuffler:
I for one was a big fan of the evil dead series. I just went and saw evil dead the musical in fact on it's preview night. I'll have to check out drag me to hell cause it's just lookin so BA.

Wasn't the musical just EPIC? I saw it in NY when BRUCE CAMPBELL did a q&a after the show!!!

I laughed at the whole concept of the crotchety old gypsy woman with a mortgage. It was such a silly setup the alarm bells should have been ringing all over the place. But that's classic Raimi. Like driving to the old decrepit cabin in the deep dark woods that you know belongs to someone else, and then messing around with occult material you find. That's just asking for trouble. :)

Someone I heard didn't like the ending (no spoilers here), but I'll say that it sounded classic Raimi as well.

Wounded Melody:

snuffler:
arbitrary text

Wasn't the musical just EPIC? I saw it in NY when BRUCE CAMPBELL did a q&a after the show!!!

It was super hilarious. I would've loved to see the Q&A. That guy has literally got to be one of the best actors I've ever seen. I was surprised to see his cameo in the first Spider-Man as the ring announcer when Toby Macguire fights the big wrestler dude. It added a nice touch of nostalgia to the film, but it just wasn't the same seeing him without a chainsaw and a shotgun ;) . He also made cameo appearances in spider-man 2 and 3, though I can't remember which scenes he was in in those two.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here