Zero Punctuation: inFamous

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Picked it up today and is EXCELLENT. It just feels great.

I know that Yahtzee doesn't read these... but Abe's Oddysee got karma right, because either:
a) You rescue your chums by putting in the effort and going a a quest of humanitarians anti-slavery/genocide.
or
b) You can't be bothered and just leg it from the guards, saving your skin and bugger anyone else who you don't need to save.

That morally grey enough for you Yahtzee?

The game plays great but I absolutely hate the character development. Your main love interest dumps you 30 seconds into the game and has as much development as a random background character in a B-horror film. You can probably guess that I didn't care much for the obvious end of the love interest.

Where, if I may ask, is the deep character development in video games? Why don't I ever care about the characters at all? When people, like Aerith, bite the bullet, all I think of is, "Well, there goes my secondary healer I never used", and proceed to kick myself for not remembering to take all the good items off of the character before the cutscene.

It's particularly bad in inFamous since Zeke is the only character that gets any fleshing out, probably because he is the fattest guy in the entire city.

Yes, the lightning powers are cool, but I never figured out why I cared enough to go from mission to mission apart from knowing I would get even more cool powers down the line.

I'm waiting for a video game to pull out a level of character development that Pixar did in the first 15 minutes of Up.

i actually really liked tihs game, and so whenever he reviews a game I like i expect to have my world shattered, by he was spot on and fairly nice. I also dont mind a boss with super high health because i kind alike that idea 'THAT HE IS TOUGHER THEN YOU' and i also liked alot of the characters, even though cole was ugly and gruff he seemed pretty well shaped and i often found myself talking like him while playing the game. I was also perplexed by the weird 'quick time event-like' things they had on boss fights. And i actually referred to indigo prophecy syndrome while talking about the game, but i didn't mind it becuase i found it kinda like a parody of a darkhorse comic

I though he would'nt like it, looks like I was wrong.

Excellent Review of Infamous, really enjoyed that one.
Ill still get round to having a go at Infamous, make my own
judgement, yeah hopefully open world gaming will soon catch on that we want to
be able to write our own stories into the game, throw out cut scenes that rail drive players
into completing their story and instead letting you have free reign and make
any descission you want with varying consequences. well see, i bet it will happen eventually.

Strangely enough, which two characters from a famous game have the same descriptions as follows:

One of them has a shaved head and a five a'clock shadow and is the most kickass of the two
while the other is a complaining ball of lard who keeps annoying you and keeps complaining.

I do however like Zeke as he is the only one having character development.

Awnser: Niko and Roman Bellic.

Aside from the fact that I'm definately getting this game, yahtzee needs to stop with the tasteless political jokes about republicans that only gets ignorant overly-sensitive radical liberals to laugh. My point is, if it's not even slightly true, then it won't be funny. I think anyone with a brain can guess that I'm a conservative at this point and if there was a joke about Democrats relating to communists then I still wouldn't laugh because that's not true either. Why not make jokes about evil/stupid people that no one likes (Kim-Jong-Il, Saddam)? As a bonus, this will inturn prevent flame wars in the threads about unrelated topics.

Barry93:
Aside from the fact that I'm definately getting this game, yahtzee needs to stop with the tasteless political jokes about republicans that only gets ignorant overly-sensitive radical liberals to laugh. My point is, if it's not even slightly true, then it won't be funny. I think anyone with a brain can guess that I'm a conservative at this point and if there was a joke about Democrats relating to communists then I still wouldn't laugh because that's not true either. Why not make jokes about evil/stupid people that no one likes (Kim-Jong-Il, Saddam)? As a bonus, this will inturn prevent flame wars in the threads about unrelated topics.

More people laugh when you insult someone/something that we don't all hate.

Also, do you think yahtzee gives a damn if a flamewar starts over joke?

This is the first ZeroPuncutation review I have ever disagreed with.

He did not comment on how every super power is just a TPS weapon graphiced over with Lightning and how the story is a meager 8 hours while taking your time, or that the story is more cliche and retar... Well he did comment on that part.

But still, I feel as if this review was biased. The did gameplay right to a varying extent, but doing things right doesn't mean there aren't faults in it.

And Barry. It's a joke.

Get over it.

Great review. I'm surprised to see Yahtzee liking a game, especially this one. Albeit he loves a game that lets him play out his homocidal rage towards humanity, the plot seemed an awful lot like a mix between Spiderman and Fantastic Four, so I wasn't expecting him to be happy with it. Still, a good game is a good game, even with (or perhaps because of) the lack of storyline.

I also agree wholeheartedly with what he said about moral choice systems in games, which fits nicely with this weeks' theme on the Escapist. Why do we keep pushing this good/evil dichotomy? Why not offer some subtlety to the outcomes of our actions. Every decision shouldn't be kill the orphans or save the puppy from the burning house. Ask Batman what a real moral question is: save the girl or save the city? Do everything for the people so that they become complacent, or do nothing for them so they learn to help themselves but have to suffer along the way? Every moral choice should have tradeoffs, not clear right answers.

Barry93:
ignorant overly-sensitive

Oh, the irony.

LaughingTarget:
The game plays great but I absolutely hate the character development. Your main love interest dumps you 30 seconds into the game and has as much development as a random background character in a B-horror film. You can probably guess that I didn't care much for the obvious end of the love interest.

Where, if I may ask, is the deep character development in video games? Why don't I ever care about the characters at all? When people, like Aerith, bite the bullet, all I think of is, "Well, there goes my secondary healer I never used", and proceed to kick myself for not remembering to take all the good items off of the character before the cutscene.

Um, I sorta got the impression this game (and prototype) isn't supposed to be deep. It's supposed to be shallow and fun.

You never fail to amuse me, Yahtzee :3

Well lets hope next time that he reviews Red faction or Prototype.

Zephyr892:
This is the first ZeroPuncutation review I have ever disagreed with.

He did not comment on how every super power is just a TPS weapon graphiced over with Lightning and how the story is a meager 8 hours while taking your time, or that the story is more cliche and retar... Well he did comment on that part.

But still, I feel as if this review was biased. The did gameplay right to a varying extent, but doing things right doesn't mean there aren't faults in it.

TPS? Also, when will people shut the fuck up about story when it's not an appropriate game to care about the story? If a game has a great story than awesome, but not every game needs a great or even half decent story.

Bam.
Offworld slavery.
& Even then the Republicans would still vote for him.

Barry93:

OMG YAHTZEE USED FREEDOM OF SPEECH! GET HIM!

karma meters need to go in favor of a more subtle system. while fallout 3 lets you decide how to act on almost every level, killing just a few ppl for their things leaves you evil for the rest of the game no matter the quests you do. so while three-dog might have nothing but praise for you, you are still listed as very evil, as if programmers didn't even concieve that someone like you existed. fine, maybe i am very evil, but how about making that decision AFTER i've killed like 400 ppl, which does happen, rather than sticking me w/ a label that becomes self-reinforcing after the first 3 or 4.

I love this game! Glad it got a good review. I agree with the moral choice issue, but I certainly don't mind playing through it twice.

mike1921:

LaughingTarget:

Um, I sorta got the impression this game (and prototype) isn't supposed to be deep. It's supposed to be shallow and fun.

So, it can't be deep and fun? If it isn't supposed to be deep, why even bother with the other characters? I don't care if an action platformer is made, just don't waste time and resources on story and voice actors when they're absolutely meaningless to the game experience. Mario is just about jumping on things. If inFamous just focused on zapping things with electricity, it would have been just fine. Papering it over with a stupid story isn't doing the game any favors.

dunnace:

Barry93:

OMG YAHTZEE USED FREEDOM OF SPEECH! GET HIM!

It's a shame they don't have such a thing in Australia. Can't use what you don't have (probably why he works for a US firm).

My wife works for an small Australian company here in the US. All of her coworkers are Aussies. Last fall, just before the elections, none of them could fathom how anyone -- let alone roughly half of the population -- could vote for a republican. Not Bush, not McCain, any republican. See, they totally believed all of the exaggerated claims and jokes.

Wasn't it Jon Stewart who went on Crossfire and said promoting political stereotypes -- of both sides of the aisle, mind you -- was hurting America? Just stop.

yeah he nailed inFamous on head. FYI do not play it two times. You be sadly disappointed that the only difference between good and evil is the side quest. For pete sakes why is the evil guy save women and childern, recuing hostiges and protecting cop? FO3 had more good and evil chose. At less in FO3 when you blow up a city it remaind gone. Yes you can blow up a few building in this game but they will magicly repair them self in the 3 second it takes your persons to spin around in a circle. Other then that good and evil system really should have been cut out of the game all together it was a very good game. FYI it short so you should rent it. I hope Prototype will be everything inFamous was plus alot more. Which on that note I am off to get it.

deadly.by.design:
Nice review.

I don't and won't have a PS3, but the game looks interesting. In other news, I find it odd that an Australian feels the need for a Republican joke, but whatevs.

Rupert Murdock is from Oz, for example. All the successful "politician's soft Christian fascism for uneducated assholes" lingo was tried in Australia first, before finding a more accepting home elsewhere later.

Btw - happy birthday.. last week, sorry.. mr. Croshaw :)

I think that your political joke at the end was dumb. If you are talking about Bush, he was fairly up front about who he was and people pretty much hated him from the get go except for a year long period after 9/11. The Republicans have never used the "I'm your friend" approach to win votes. That's the game that the democrats play. Obama pretends to be everybody's friend (and he pretended to be a libertarian during the election)while seizing power in a questionably unconstitutional way while nobody bats an eye. I don't trust the leaders that want to be my friend. I always felt that the republican basically let you know what you're getting pretty quick. Even if Bush lied, people could easily tell. But this is all academic. Since about ten years ago, the definition of both political parties has been changing, and now they are basically the same party. The only difference is that the democrats get a lot of union dues and do whatever the big unions ask. The republicans rely much less on union support (talking about the byzantine afl-cio and UAW) but even Bush gave the automakers a bailout just showing how powerful that lobby is. Where is the fundamental difference between the parties? Obama and Bush have the same view of deficit spending and the power of the federal government over our lives.

I dunno, maybe it's not worth it.

I think inFamous will be a great game to play through.
Although I enjoy Yatzee's reviews, I would not use base my decision to buy a game just because he says it is good or bad.
He does make a valid point. Moral choice systems need to go out of these type of games or at least be altered in some way.
Black and White is sooo boring. Why can't we be good with a lemon hint of evil? It would be better that way.

lol funny vid yahtzee loved the last phrase that he is the only character that can say i cant swin lol
cant wait for the next one

I never really saw what was so controversial about rupert murdoch and fox news. They give an outlet for people on both sides of the aisle to speak, and the host of Red Eye is a libertarian. Soft christian fascism? Come on now...... Yes, there are idealogues on fox news, but they exist on every network. How come John Stewart isn't a "talking head." He has a massive writing staff and only talks for about maybe an hour a week on the air. Viacom played the liberal game for decades. Why are they not as evil as Fox? Personally, I don't watch fox news because it is boring and still not real libertarian news. But when I do watch it, I just have to ask, "What is all the fuss about?"

Bahahaha best line ever,
"Bam!, offworld slavery"

Ahh Yahtzee, your the best.

-Joe

Nice vid also I think the whole good or evil thing is getting old why can't there be a game like oblivion where you could do good and bad deeds and still not change the ending the only games with that good or evil shit that I liked are fallout 3 and fable 2.

P.S Pepsi FTW!

First off, the joke was hilarious, and it was hilarious because its true. It riffs off of very real conservative initiatives in recent years like warmongering and torturing. And it doesn't take a "radical liberal" to either see these facts or find jokes about them funny.

But what's really telling here is the claim that by not telling jokes like this, we could reduce flame wars. What that really amounts to is a kind of threat, "if you guys make fun of us conservatives, then we're going to start flame wars! Wouldn't it be better if we all just kept quiet and pretended that the rampant flaws in the conservative ideology weren't there?" Which is typical of conservatives, using threats to try and squelch speech, ideas and facts.

Fudj:
"Really jostled my flaps, and no mistake"

I swear i watch this just for new quips

"you can jump gleefully around on the rooftops like down syndrome batman!"

Yathfstzee does a great job of describing what he likes and what he doesn't and how that impacts his game experience. and its FUNNY! Hooray for Great Reviews!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here