Ring Ring, or Bling Bling?

How the iPhone is proving that its beauty is more than touch-screen deep.

Read Full Article

I believe it was Yahtzee who said "If that idea appeals to you, then give yourself a nice saltwater douche because you're officially a cunt."

KenzS:
I believe it was Yahtzee who said "If that idea appeals to you, then give yourself a nice saltwater douche because you're officially a cunt."

Yahtzee is nothing more then an entertaining guy with an opinion. Anyone who takes his dribble seriously is

KenzS:
officially a cunt.

I love my iphone. that being said, mine doesn't have diamonds

What the hell was that article about? That there's going to be a 3.0 version? Did I really have to read all that ramble to find out that information? Seemed a rather pointless article. Also, the iPhone did not turn bling bling into ring ring. It's still a status symbol.
Not impressed.

That....kinda looks gaudy.

Very unappealing. Plus I thought this thread was going to ask whether people prefer to wear rings or necklaces or something.

I prefer rings.

mentor07825:

KenzS:

Yahtzee is nothing more then an entertaining guy with an opinion. Anyone who takes his dribble seriously is

KenzS:
officially a cunt.

That really makes me miss Judgement Day.

I know this is only the third article in the series but I really hope the focus moves away from sucking up to the iphone. Yes we know it was the best marketted phone on the market and the fan base that guarentees its success(11% in the smart phone market and getting those who never owned a "smart" phone before is really big).

Let's see some discussion about other cell phones please for the sake of balance.

Oh and yes actually for world travelers knowing your phones band frequency does matter and thankfully the Iphone is a tri-band UMTS (850/1900/2100) and quad band GSM.

Also most consumers buying the iphone don't really do anything with it because they don't know how to use the phone. It makes me want to write an article on how unaware the consumer is when they get an iphone. Yes it is a good phone but for what people use it for they really don't need to be paying 30 bucks a month for what the average consumer uses the phone for.

Also for those wondering why I rant about the damn phone it is because I currently work for ATT and have to sell the phone. Even the salespeople there have to ensure that every customer has to get an iphone over any other phone. There is just that much pressure AT&T has to push the iphone over any other phone.

Griever18:

That really makes me miss Judgement Day.

You liked Judgement day? There was only one good reviewer and Mr.Tommy there just trashed every single game. Granted I'm glad he is going around the world and spreading the idea of music and that I thank him for but his days of judgement day he was a jerk. Like the jock you hate but have to tolerate because you know he also has a passion for video games as well.

EDIT: Okay after finally watching the video after getting home from work the youtube video above me with Mr.TT...wow. He is right that if people want to be journalists we gotta get off the computer and start connecting with people and interview people. This is where The escapist Show has it right

I just want to know what the author was doing in the sperm bank on Friday night.

I mean, good time? Maybe.. not what most people would pick as their first choice however.

I dont see how people can still think of the iphone as an actual primary phone anymore. (as in primary function being calls).

It passed that stage the second it was developed. It is not simply a palmtop with a built in phone. End of story.

Plus if you can think a phone the size of a pavier looks cool (no matter how many gadgets and gizmos it has)...well you apparently have been thrust forwards from 10 years ago and i have this to say....welcome to the future and your taste in electronics sucks!

Alright. I truly, TRULY, hate what people do to the phone. And not just the iPhone. EVERY phone! Do we really need all of this crap on a thing we talk into? NO! Do we need a camera and a Game Boy on our phone? NO! Do we need a keyboard and a touch screen on our phone? NO! And do we Goddamn diamonds on our phone? FUCK NO!!! ugh... *ahem*... As you can see I'm not fond of this blinged out iPhone. That's all.

mentor07825:

KenzS:

KenzS:
officially a cunt.

Is this some kind of Zen riddle?

Personally I don't care for the iphone.
I prefer having a "portable cellular telecommunication device" a "cellphone"
I only found out it had a music player after I bought it.(I just picked up a Moto RAZR VE20)

About the only option I want on my cellphone is bluetooth. I have a MOTO RAZR v3 that has looks like it spent 3 tours in Iraq with the Marines..but the damn thing is a phone first..
It has to be a Motorola flip phone because it's the only brand I've had that has lasted over a year's worth abuse.

War Penguin:
Alright. I truly, TRULY, hate what people do to the phone. And not just the iPhone. EVERY phone! Do we really need all of this crap on a thing we talk into? NO! Do we need a camera and a Game Boy on our phone? NO! Do we need a keyboard and a touch screen on our phone? NO! And do we Goddamn diamonds on our phone? FUCK NO!!! ugh... *ahem*... As you can see I'm not fond of this blinged out iPhone. That's all.

Diamonds are ridiculous, But the iphone has some impressive games, and some of the apps are ridiculously convenient and great to have on the go. I don't see how the convenience of having a Phone/camera/mp3 player/portable gaming device/E reader/GPS/Notepad etc in one device can be seen as anything other than helpful. And to those who say having all that is confusing. ever used an iphone? Really simple stuff.

Why is it in our society to be cool you have to have stuff that you can showoff? I never understood the concept of popularity myself.

Pocket Gamer:

How the iPhone is proving that its beauty is more than touch-screen deep.

Read Full Article

Since when did the Escapist start sucking Steve Job's throbbing cock? Put down the Apple Kool-Aid, buddy, before it's too late.

Not that I have anything against the iPhone. It's a half-decent phone with an excellent app store and works relatively well as a media player. And yeah, it's pretty.

It effectively launched the horrible trend known as touch-screen phones, though, so maybe I do have something against it.

iPhones and everything seem to be useless. I don't see a point in having all the applications. Just a cell phone for those rare occasions you need it is fine. Ability to play songs is nice, but it's better to keep your ears open.

Fuck all the i-products in any case.

gof22:
Why is it in our society to be cool you have to have stuff that you can showoff? I never understood the concept of popularity myself.

Materialism is materialism.

CapnJack:

Since when did the Escapist start sucking Steve Job's throbbing cock? Put down the Apple Kool-Aid, buddy, before it's too late.

Not that I have anything against the iPhone. It's a half-decent phone with an excellent app store and works relatively well as a media player. And yeah, it's pretty.

It effectively launched the horrible trend known as touch-screen phones, though, so maybe I do have something against it.

The escapist hasn't started to worship apple. Also Pocket Gamer is a european website and looks like they are just contributing articles that relate to cell phone games and the mobile cell phone game industry.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/

I'm also tired of hearing of the iphone but that is where all the buzz is right now for big name developers, publishers and "high quality" cell phone games are so it would make sense to talk about the iphone and its state of popularity.

Pocket Gamer is a welcome edition to The Escapist it really is but the question is if the articles Pocket Gamer creates will really go in depth into the mobile phone games industry(as in history, developers, publishers) or will they continue to write articles about the iphone and how great it is(as they say 2 out of 3 ain't bad). So let's not focus on the negative and see what true value the website and community is getting from another website full of respectable writers.

VitalSigns:

War Penguin:

Diamonds are ridiculous, But the iphone has some impressive games, and some of the apps are ridiculously convenient and great to have on the go. I don't see how the convenience of having a Phone/camera/mp3 player/portable gaming device/E reader/GPS/Notepad etc in one device can be seen as anything other than helpful. And to those who say having all that is confusing. ever used an iphone? Really simple stuff.

I'm not denying that the iPhone can be easy to use and I agree that some of that stuff is useful but common. When you strip it down its just a glorified walky-talky with a GBA and a camera glued on.

Finally, someone who sees this the same way I do.

I HAVE NO PHONE

heehee.

Tenmar:

The escapist hasn't started to worship apple. Also Pocket Gamer is a european website and looks like they are just contributing articles that relate to cell phone games and the mobile cell phone game industry.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/

Ah, thanks. That doesn't really do much to ease my feelings about an article like this appearing on the site, though. I don't know anything about pocket gamer, but if articles on par with this are what I can expect from them, no thanks. I'll remember to avoid.

I cant resist things with blings..
but iphone?... ehh no.

CapnJack:

I was obviously wondering that myself, for, you see, at this point in time, I've gone from disliking the iPhone to despising it. I can't see how people can get so hyped about an overrated, battery-sucking, hermetically-sealed device like the iPhone.

Frankly, the simplistic aesthetics and the media player are all the iPhone has going for it, but even then, there's a point where I believe that minimalism goes too far.

RAKtheUndead:
Apple iPhone 3G: The iPhone may be one of the most popular smartphones released in recent times, but the Nokia E71 makes it look like a children's plaything. The solid stainless steel and chrome finish of the E71 makes the plastic finish of the iPhone look like an elaborate toy, and it just goes downhill from there. With an inferior camera, no way to expand the internal memory, low battery life, an unimpressive operating system and most of all, an almost-complete lack of interface which doesn't use the touch screen, the iPhone doesn't endear itself to the business customers which the E71 aims for. The only place where the iPhone proves superior is in its music capabilities, and it only breaks even at best when it comes to the internet and GPS capacities. The so-called "Jesus Phone" will likely sell more units, but the E71 remains the superior phone.

It's not even useful as a phone, as this article plainly suggests in the very first paragraph, and for all of the hype of iPhone OS 3.0, it's only adding features that should have been in there in the first place, and would be in there if Apple weren't concerned with aesthetics over actual bloody quality.

My phone can call and send text messages. It has a various selection of ringtones, of which I use none. It shakes.

I use my phone to call and send text messages. I am happy with my phone. It only costs about 50 euro's.

Shiny things are dangerous.

RAKtheUndead:
It's not even useful as a phone, as this article plainly suggests in the very first paragraph, and for all of the hype of iPhone OS 3.0, it's only adding features that should have been in there in the first place, and would be in there if Apple weren't concerned with aesthetics over actual bloody quality.

It really drives me crazy when people get excited about Apple playing catch-up. I understand that the average consumer is entranced by Apple's intuitive interface, and their software is unparalleled in that sense, but the geeks really disappoint me. Technologicaly, they're always behind. Worse hardware for a higher price, balanced by the clever software in a pretty shell.

The touch-screen fad (I hope it's a fad) is the worst thing to happen to phones. I see you're a proponent of the Nokia E71. How does that compare to the Blackberry?

I first heard of the Nokia E70 from the most bad-ass person on the internet.

S.H.A.R.P.:
My phone can call and send text messages...

...I use my phone to call and send text messages. I am happy with my phone.

Word.

As for the iPhone being little more than a fashion item, I think Oscar Wilde said it best, "A fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it every six months."

So yeah, I really think ill of the iPhone. Sure it's got some nice games and whatnot, but the fact that everyone I know that has one pretty much does so because it's "kewl", is just disgusting. Honestly, when did owning a communications device transcend from being a small necessity to being something that defines people's character?

Having said that, my phone's a five-year old RAZR whose shell has a few scratches and the battery life and sound quality have degraded a little over the years, so what does that say about me?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here