Holy Crap, Saw Doesn't Suck

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Holy Crap, Saw Doesn't Suck

One of E3's biggest surprises this year came from a tiny corner of the Konami booth.

Read Full Article

Hmmm, I hope there is a demo for the public to be released. Might be worth a look.

I was never a fan of the movies, but I may try the game out of curiosity.

Actually sounds alright

I might check this out when more info comes our way.

Thanks, Susan!

this will be interesting when it comes out...

Maybe this one shows promise.

But I remain skeptical.

The Great JT:
Maybe this one shows promise.

But I remain skeptical.

Pretty much this. Plenty of games have seemed to have good demos and then turned out to suck when they actually get released. It has potential, I suppose, but I still very much doubt it will be anything better than mediocre.

Digression: Saw is a horror movie? When did this happen?

I'm very interested in the release of this game. It looks to be something totally different than the cookie cutter FPS and 3rd person games that have been released lately.

Also, brutal over-the-top violence is always a plus.

I had heard rumours of a saw game and laughed probably like most people would have, but after reading the review i think konami have gotten it right from the sounds of thing the game isnt based of the movie (strictly) and the game plays like a survival horror with puzzles,

to me it sounds like a cross between return to monkey island adventure with a more gruesome theme, probably over simplifying a little.

It sounds like it would be a good wii title, with the unorthodox controls and all that. It could be an interesting title.

I bet the reviews come back: Great premise, enjoyable though clunky in places and too short with no replayability.

Stoic Person Eater:
I'm very interested in the release of this game. It looks to be something totally different than the cookie cutter FPS and 3rd person games that have been released lately.

Ok, one thing I left out -- the violence is not nearly as graphic as it should be for this particular game. I'm not a fan of blood for blood's sake, but given the source material for this particular title, it should be way more graphic than it is.

And I still remain skeptical of the final product, but whereas before I thought the thing was a joke, I'm now cautiously optimistic. I really was quite impressed with the demo, short though it was. If the rest of the game stays as smart as the demo, it'll be pretty damn fun.

I'm relatively amazed the game isn't a bomb!
Now if they could just make the movies good we'd be on a roll!

i'm definitly going to check this out, since i just started watching the movies out of recommendation

Chaossebba:
i'm definitly going to check this out, since i just started watching the movies out of recommendation

The game I can believe being alright, the movies? Pfft...

Well what a conference demo reveals and what the game eventually goes on the mass market as are completely different things. If they keep this the way you have described it should be a decent little game. But things arent always that simple, so ill wait and see.

Susan Arendt:

Stoic Person Eater:

Ok, one thing I left out -- the violence is not nearly as graphic as it should be for this particular game. I'm not a fan of blood for blood's sake, but given the source material for this particular title, it should be way more graphic than it is.

And I still remain skeptical of the final product, but whereas before I thought the thing was a joke, I'm now cautiously optimistic. I really was quite impressed with the demo, short though it was. If the rest of the game stays as smart as the demo, it'll be pretty damn fun.

Perhaps the thought that "constantly watching your jaw get ripped from your skull" wouldn't be good for PR (or endurable) crossed the developers' minds. Still, as a fan of the first Saw - not a fan of gore - I understand we expect a lot of graphic violence when the franchise's title is mentioned.

Thanks for preview though, I am now also cautiously optimistic and eager to get a hold of the results.

Regarding narrative, one thing did leave me confused (and I'll put this in spoilers given it has to do with the plot in the movies):

I actually had this game listed in my mind as a sleeper hit, considering how much flak it got when it was first announced... I could see a couple ways that it would work, and one of them seems to be the direction they went.. I'm optimistic about it.

Still poor as heck, so I probably won't buy it, but I thought it might be decent.. Popular Opinion when a new game or peripheral is announced tends to be opposite to the reality of the success of the product... The more excited people are at the announcement of something, the worse it will do. People were spitting on Saw as soon as it appeared on the horizon :P

It could be interesting.

Any word on a public demo yet?

calelogan:

Perhaps the thought that "constantly watching your jaw get ripped from your skull" wouldn't be good for PR (or endurable) crossed the developers' minds. Still, as a fan of the first Saw - not a fan of gore - I understand we expect a lot of graphic violence when the franchise's title is mentioned.

Thanks for preview though, I am now also cautiously optimistic and eager to get a hold of the results.

Regarding narrative, one thing did leave me confused (and I'll put this in spoilers given it has to do with the plot in the movies):

Hmmm...you may have a point about the gore factor in the public demo -- I admit, I hadn't thought of that. As for your question regarding the plot, not sure. The demo begins with Jigsaw mentioning that...

Was not expecting that. Might just have to check it out now. As much as I hate Saw, I need to fill in all the little pieces of the puzzle.

The movies never really did scare me...but the thought of a Saw video game being GOOD..........now that's scary!

Why are people always anxious whenever they bridge the "Video Game <-> Movie" gap?
Sure, so far it hasn't been very promising...
But we'll see when it comes to this game and the Bioshock movie.

Haha, Susan I love this thread title. Hmm, I think I'll try it before I buy it.

hmm... Yahtzee may enjoy this. In relevant news, yeah I might check this out /newbie sapping off Yahtzees Australian fame.

Oh yeah and it's my b'day tomoz :D

Susan Arendt:

That's actually a plus for some of us, though. Y'know, the ones who spent quite a bit of Saw going, "Aaargh!" and covering their faces with their hands because oh god, I did not need to see that.

yeah_so_no:

Susan Arendt:

That's actually a plus for some of us, though. Y'know, the ones who spent quite a bit of Saw going, "Aaargh!" and covering their faces with their hands because oh god, I did not need to see that.

Um...then why would you be playing a Saw game? I mean, I totally understand not digging blood and guts, don't fault you for that at all, but if that's not your thing, then a game based on those movies might not be the one for you, y'know?

Susan Arendt:

yeah_so_no:

Susan Arendt:

Um...then why would you be playing a Saw game? I mean, I totally understand not digging blood and guts, don't fault you for that at all, but if that's not your thing, then a game based on those movies might not be the one for you, y'know?

Saw was actually right at my limit--I can take a fair bit of gore, but Saw was like the oooooone step past my gore limit (it was the first horror movie where I've ever covered my face, and I love horror movies). I liked the movie, though, aside from that "one step too far" thing. So finding out the game is knocked down a bit in the gore department means I might actually play it instead of passing, like I did on the rest of the Saw movies.

I'm hoping for a good plot. Does Danny Glover voice the character, or is it a soundalike?

Susan Arendt:
-...If the rest of the game stays as smart as the demo, it'll be pretty damn fun...-

Yeah, its just that if that worries me, because as certain demo's can show (can't think of one at this point in time, so don't ask), its a pretty big if.
But I'll take this review under consideration, but I'm warning you, this game was heavily in the negative section for 'Games I want on a 10-point scale'. This is just bringing up to near 0
Just can't see the appeal, but if its as intelligent as you make it out to be, might give it a whirl.
I'm not one to shun games just for the sake of shunning them...

Can this be? A decent looking movie tie in??? :|

5stringedbandit:
Can this be? A decent looking movie tie in??? :|

First Ghostbusters, now this? I'm getting ready for the apocalypse.

scnj:
I'm hoping for a good plot. Does Danny Glover voice the character, or is it a soundalike?

Danny Glover wasn't actually in any of the traps in the movie from what I remember, someone else was in the face bear trap. So probably not.

Kross:

scnj:

Danny Glover wasn't actually in any of the traps in the movie from what I remember, someone else was in the face bear trap. So probably not.

Soundalike. But Jigsaw is voiced by the actor, which makes all the difference in the world.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here