Review: Ghostbusters

Pages PREV 1 2

ElArabDeMagnifico:
...and I haven't heard a damn thing about the Wii version yet.

Curses!! That's the only next-gen system I could afford, too...I do hope they make some *Useful* use of the Wii-mote for that, and don't reduce it to random flailing like they did with Star Wars: Force Unleashed

trust me guys this game is awesome

Very awesome, albeit short. I beat it already. Boo. I'm sure I'll go through it again in a week or two, but I wish there was more.

Bought it, loving it. The review is correct, this DEFINATLY plays like a movie, so you gotta take the "EXPERIANCE" into account. Alot of the enemies are reskinned versions of each other (though admittedly, very prettily reskinned). Sometimes the gameplay gets repetetive, but in this case the frequent breathers to soak up the atmosphere actually HELP the game. It would get very boring, very repetetive, very fast- but with it's movie pacing, every encounter is frantic and breathless, and the game does a good job of shocking you and being spooky. It's not frightening by any means, but spooky. The dialogue and story are great, of course, the weapons are fun if a few on them only have videogame cliche uses - I can find no use for the slime tether except a few gimmick puzzles that require it. Shooting a giang booger is fun though.

It looks like it's going to be about average length, 9 to 12 hours depending on how you play, but thats one of those "probably a good thing otherwise it'd wear out it's welcome situation". I strongly suggest you take your time when playing, and switch from PKE meter to normal vision often - the atmosphere is better to take in, in normal vision.

Can't comment on the multiplayer, sounds fun though. Frankly, as frantic and easy it is to shoot your teammates in singleplayer is? This will be goddamn crazy online.

i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic, i dont really play that many "funny" games, and theres stuff coming out about the same time that looks much more worth my money

it loks great though, so fans are most likely in for a treat

I got the pc version, the controls do not seem unresponsive to me at all. (maybe an xbox issue?)
Also, I can't say I've ever gone 10 minutes with out hitting up a ghost. Course I run from place to place not scanning every nook and cranny. ;)

I just started playing this on my PS3 last night, and I have to say. If you were a fan of this at all growing up or when it was out, like I was obsessed with it, then you won't be disappointed. As the game was starting up I was smiling the widest smile ever and laughing with glee at the pure nostaligarific awesomeness that is this game. The feel of the movies is like perfectly recreated, plus a whole bunch of little extras and throwbacks to old events and such. The trophies (achievements) are all like, old quotes from the movie. Like beating Sedgewick hotel is "I've always wanted to do this" (I was running around the ballroom trying to pull the tablecloth with the action button or some such, then I tried knocking over everything but the flowers, thinking it might be an achievement but apparently I just had to beat it... lol ) it made me exclaim "The flowers are still standing!".

Yeah I'm a huge Ghostbusters nerd, but I mean cmon.... I grew up with these movies.

So as Peter Venkman once said to Ray Stanz after he took out a third mortgage to fund their ghostbustin business "You'll never regret this (Ray)!"

thiosk:
perhaps its out on steam?

It is! (In North America anyway.)

I suppose looking at it as like a "movie-themed ghost-hunting simulator" might be best. A pity I'm saving up for moving into a new apartment and can't really afford any extraneous expenses at the moment.

Taerdin:

So as Peter Venkman once said to Ray Stanz after he took out a third mortgage to fund their ghostbustin business "You'll never regret this (Ray)!"

"Ray. If someone asks if you are a god, you say, "yes!"

I've been playing it and really like how it's put together. Some people already said it but it really does feel like you are watching a movie and inserting yourself into some parts.

I really dig it.

Daemon 085:
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic

If it wasn't comic it wouldn't be Ghostbusters... and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

That said you must not be a fan of the movies if you feel that way, so yeah you're probably better off staying away and leaving this nostalgiarific love fest to the fans of the series :)

I gotta say, now that I finally got it running, the game is quite fun if you just let yourself get into it. Short but sweet. That said, I have a couple nitpicks:

-The Ghostbusters theme isn't there. Sure, it starts for about 15 seconds in the intro, and about a minute of it at the end. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a tease; if you're playing a Ghostbusters game you expect to hear the Ghostbusters theme a bit, and at least play the whole song!
-The PC version definitely got borked (unless you're going with Steam; figures they'd add it to their service after I got the box-copy installed). Load times are needlessly long. The DRM is bull. The installer throws a hissy-fit if you try to install anywhere other than the C: drive. And they took out the multiplayer content because obviously a PC would never be connected to the Internet.

DaxStrife:
I gotta say, now that I finally got it running, the game is quite fun if you just let yourself get into it. Short but sweet. That said, I have a couple nitpicks:

-The Ghostbusters theme isn't there. Sure, it starts for about 15 seconds in the intro, and about a minute of it at the end. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a tease; if you're playing a Ghostbusters game you expect to hear the Ghostbusters theme a bit, and at least play the whole song!

That was one thing I didn't mention in my review - it's totally baffling to me that basically the only time you hear the theme song is on the loading screen between deaths. Then again, it does make the 20 seconds or so of waiting around a little more bearable.

Guess you just didn't die enough, DaxStrife :P

good review, looks like a fun game almost want to check it out.

Just to let you guys know who own PAL systems like myself.. you can get the game right now! its region free so head over to play asia and buy it there (the US version, not the asian version).. i did and its on its way :D will cost you 40.

Jordan Deam:

DaxStrife:

That was one thing I didn't mention in my review - it's totally baffling to me that basically the only time you hear the theme song is on the loading screen between deaths. Then again, it does make the 20 seconds or so of waiting around a little more bearable.

Guess you just didn't die enough, DaxStrife :P

Just a couple times during the flaming cherub bit, though I never heard the music then. Wonder if that's another thing stripped for the PC version?

I am not a fan of the movies but I love the game even if its capturing the ghost over and over the ghost are fun to fight with your weapons. Plus a suggestion is to have a friend or two buy this because the online pay is so fun.

I can't wait to play this game; Especially since it allows you to create your own character and go on missions as a buster-in-training!

Taerdin:

Daemon 085:
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic

If it wasn't comic it wouldn't be Ghostbusters... and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

That said you must not be a fan of the movies if you feel that way, so yeah you're probably better off staying away and leaving this nostalgiarific love fest to the fans of the series :)

yeah your right, i might give it a go at work, but not buy it, i watched the films when i was a kid and couldnt appreciate it, i might watch again and review my decision :)

Picked this up yesterday. Can't wait to dig into it this weekend. :)

misterprickly:
I can't wait to play this game; Especially since it allows you to create your own character and go on missions as a buster-in-training!

You can't create your character's appearance, you're just some random brown haired guy. But I guess in a sense you 'create' your character as he never talks or reveals anything about himself. Its up to you to decide 'who' he is. He doesn't even have a name. His little ghostbuster jumpsuit nametag says Rookie, and people call you rookie, or cadet, or new guy... whatever

This game looks boring as hell. Then again, opinions...

So far I'm enjoying this game. Busting ghost is something I've wanted to do since I was 5 and it's just as awesome as I imagined. :)

My ONLY problem with this game is when you fail a mission you have to sit through a 30-45 second load screen before it throws you back into the action. Bullshit I say!!

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

I loved the Ghostbuster when I was a kid. I still do. So much so I watch the movies almost every day. And I kid you not when I say this, but I've memorised just about EVERY peice of dialouge in both movies. Love to movies. And I'll love, I'm positive I will. It only needs three things to make me love it.
Ghosterbusters
Crossing the Proton Streams
and The Stay Puft Mashmellow Man.

And it looks like it'll have all those. YAY!

And if my friend compares this game to Luigi's Mansion again I'm gonna kill him.

Tone666:
Just to let you guys know who own PAL systems like myself.. you can get the game right now! its region free so head over to play asia and buy it there (the US version, not the asian version).. i did and its on its way :D will cost you 40.

Thats still like $100 aus. So that doesn't help me. Fuck it, i'll just buy it from the video shop they always sell games cheap. I got Fallout3 $30 cheaper from my local video shop than Vamp Games, which is where I usually go to get games.

I bought this game two days ago and I am loving it. I just wish I had an Ecto cooler to drink while playing it.

Looks far better than I expected.

The writing wasn't too bad. the review (both the video and writing) seemed to go into a lot of detail about capturing a ghost, while every other aspect of the game gets nothing more than an honorable mention. YES, I can hear some of you guys now, "the whole game is about catching ghosts." Sure, but even Jesus knew when to share the spotlight with Moses and Noah in their little fairy-tail book. Furthermore, I'm not completely sure if you liked this game or didn't. you give some pros and cons but never show which way YOU lean, except that you enjoyed reeling in the ghosts, and that might only seem like that because you fell way below the word limit and decided to ramble on in detail about the ghost fishing which tells me that you may spend a lot of time playing with your own rod. ALSO, you mention the slow game play, and the controls but how and to what extent did they effect the over feel and experience of the game? is the slowness of the game just slow in comparison to other games or it so slow that you wouldn't recommend it to a kid with ADD because he would chew his fingers of waiting? Obviously rhetorical and mentioned to maybe shine some light on questions that you may want to ask yourself before writing your next review.

Written: 5/10
Video: 3/10

Again with the raping of my childhood. Oh well...since it's been a turd-fest SINCE my childhood I guess I can't blame the former SNLers for giving it another go. I guess I'd be bleeding the franchise too.

Who am I gonna call? Pizza-Hut.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or