Zero Punctuation: The Second Annual E3 Hype Massacre

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Yahtzee's definitely been on a rising trajectory for the last few weeks. I love it. :)

FinalGamer:

WolfmanNougat:

FinalGamer:
I dunno if anyone else mentioned this...but why did Yahtzee not mention Metroid: Other M?
Yanno the big reveal of Nintendo so we could love them again?

Yes, some have mentioned it, but I don't think many people are too enthusiastic about it. I've even heard in a few places people being pessimistic about it just for being co-developed by Team Ninja, "you know, the guys behind Dead Or Alive Extreme," which I wouldn't be surprised to find is Yahtzee's view of it.

but they did make Ninja Gaiden, which is unbelieveably awesome. So it's on the fence.

Very true. Considering Samus hasn't been given a gratuitous inflation, we can assume they'll be focusing on the NG route... with lasers and morph balls :)

I actually laughed, as opposed to just small snickering, for the first Zero Punctuation in quite a while. Nice.

Pi_Fighter:
Hehe.
Thank you Mr. Croshaw for stating the obvious about E3!

You want to know the worst part? There are some out there that didn't even know the "obvious" about E3.

Also, on a somewhat scary side-note, Croshaw's ideas on the population are just like mine, but I just believe people are just idiots (They're properly called In"DUH"viduals...)and wouldn't go as far to call them pure crap...

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

I might agree with Yahtzee if agreeing didn't seem like I'm unoriginal so I'm going to go and disagree with the "people are shit" motto for Yahtzee. I can certainly agree that your a shit, being the wonderful prototype for the human race that you are, but there are certainly people that aren't shit.
Unless your standard for what's not shit is so ridiculously high that someone who isn't shit has to always think up new and original things (that are good), never say unnecessary annoying things, do everything perfectly because their mind can think fast enough to instantly reply in the best, witty way possible for the situation that they are in, a lot of people definitely aren't shit.
Morals? No really concrete arguments for any of those.
It's also funny how people talk about their ideas of agreeing with you about how people are shit, and don't really draw attention to their real opinions of themselves.
Anyone who has that ideal, is a shitface.
Now I'm going to do something to keep the pain from the self-righteousness of this comment out of my mind.

I find hype annoying because apparently every game, good or not, has to be the next ground breaking revolutionary game in order for it to be good. It despise hype as it kills games before they even get a chance.

The more you hear about a game and the more you get excited for it the more you set yourself up for a let down. Then if the game is just slightly less than you were prepared for it to be, it becomes trash. Then a perfectly enjoyable, if not worship worthy, game if wasted.

definetly mah fav episode now!

He sounded like he really enjoyed making this video :D

Alright, first Yahtzee post! (sorry geek moment dont judge, we've all been there)

100% as always. If the PS motion sensor isnt perfect its just going to be another epic fail like wii. STOP THE REPEAT TITLES OF DEAD GAMES PLEASE!. Yay!!!More "mmorpgas"....shall they make gaming a job or you know, a game.

Another fantastic rant haha! I think that this year's E3 was a bit better than last year's at any rate.

WolfmanNougat:

FinalGamer:

WolfmanNougat:

FinalGamer:
I dunno if anyone else mentioned this...but why did Yahtzee not mention Metroid: Other M?
Yanno the big reveal of Nintendo so we could love them again?

Yes, some have mentioned it, but I don't think many people are too enthusiastic about it. I've even heard in a few places people being pessimistic about it just for being co-developed by Team Ninja, "you know, the guys behind Dead Or Alive Extreme," which I wouldn't be surprised to find is Yahtzee's view of it.

but they did make Ninja Gaiden, which is unbelieveably awesome. So it's on the fence.

Very true. Considering Samus hasn't been given a gratuitous inflation, we can assume they'll be focusing on the NG route... with lasers and morph balls :)

My thoughts exactly.

[quote I was just saying that Yahtzee used the formula of "If I say this is bad before I play it then I'm funny." It's sad to see such an oversimplification of the industry from someone who could instead talk about hidden jems and maybe lead to some sales of highly original games. We should only care about wheather or not games are just fun and not if there is a number / subtitle at the end of a title.

Oh and one more thing. It's funny that every "hardcore" gamer (Yahtzee included) bashes casual gaming when casual games are the most original. Seriously, go onto STEAM and look at the casual games section. How many sequels do you see? Also, most of casual games are cheaper the "hardcore" sequels.[/quote]

Isn't Braid a casual game? Yahtzee clearly had praise for it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/203-Braid

Dragonblade146:
You sounded like a dying murloc...

OMFG Yes he does, I didn't make that connection lol

Also this review was pretty much gold, although I wonder why he left God of War III out of the picture or was I 2 busy laughing and missed it

And yes Rising looks like shit, but since Kojima is not behind this project, we might have an entirely new style of game, in the non MGS4 way

Gyrefalcon:
[quote I was just saying that Yahtzee used the formula of "If I say this is bad before I play it then I'm funny." It's sad to see such an oversimplification of the industry from someone who could instead talk about hidden jems and maybe lead to some sales of highly original games. We should only care about wheather or not games are just fun and not if there is a number / subtitle at the end of a title.

Oh and one more thing. It's funny that every "hardcore" gamer (Yahtzee included) bashes casual gaming when casual games are the most original. Seriously, go onto STEAM and look at the casual games section. How many sequels do you see? Also, most of casual games are cheaper the "hardcore" sequels.[/quote]

Isn't Braid a casual game? Yahtzee clearly had praise for it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/203-Braid

Its because casual games often have low production costs...end of story

Casual games fucking such, originality in stuff like Flower or hell my Wii as a whole (with its games like Wii sports) although original are lacking in every other department...casuals HAVE KILLED the industry

Minbad:

slipknot4:
This was so much better than the last week, too bad he did not mention GOW3, God Of War!

I so highly second this. Didn't he see God Of War 3?

Yeah, didn't he?
Welcome to the escapist BTW ^^

Sorry, Drunk Canadian, I don't agree that casuals have killed the industry. I believe greed has.

Casual games (or any 'pick up and play' style titles aimed at universal entertainment) have brought a lot of new blood into gaming. Nintendo knew they couldn't carry on competing with the likes of the Sony/Microsoft style 'hardcore' consoles and instead through the Wii and the constantly evolving DS platform have targeted everyone else, stopping only for a moment to pander to the fanboys and nintendo faithful with a handful of 'proper' sequels.

The question to ask is, has this shift towards catering for the non-gamer killed hardcore gaming? The answer is obvious to me - how could it?

As long as there is a demand for hardcore and non-casual games, companies will continue to produce them. After all, many devs and designers are hardcore gamers too - where do you thing many of the inspirations come from?
The problem for me seems to be lazy greed. Why spend effort producing something original and entertaining for your gamer audience when you can churn out a tired sequel that you know fanboys will lap up regardless? It costs way more in effort, time and real cash to produce something new and special, which is why when these games come about we should drop our programmed loyalty to the franchises we love and give the new stuff a go.

Braid was a great little game that harkened back to the ingenuity of the 8-bit era, when programmers were forced to be original because they didn't have the luxury of bigger, better and more. Limitations were on the hardware, not on the allowed imaginings of gaming staff. The recent Rocket Riot on XBL is similarly 8-bit in feel, only polished for the next-gen systems. it isn't particularly original but it's a hell of a lot of fun and well worth our pennies. These aren't the only examples of great games off the beaten track - the franchise machines aren't the only place we can get our gaming fixes (Steam is an excellent place to see this in action).

Yes, casual games seem to be the most original but I think that's only because we as a gaming populace have starte to see games as mainstream or miniscule. Because there are so many 'miniscule' games appearing to cover the creativity gap we brand them as casual, not knowing the depth of gameplay or the buckets of fun that can be had with them.

Casual games aren't killing the industry, it is budgets that are stifling the creative output and blind gamer loyalty that is fuelling the lazy franchise machine.

The Natal system did seem like a horrible idea for video games then i noticed that it played DVDs without the use of a remote and your voice which is pretty badass and i do hope to buy one but specifically for that reason.

I think the general formula of that E3 review was the sequels "2s" and the long time sequels like Final Fantasy "14"!.
I too, feel like expressing myself with a strangled noise, but that is one of joy - I personally love these continual sequels of games so I can spend more money and time of my life on playing a very similar game all over again.

wow that was hilarious xD

I get interested and moderately excited for certain games, but never what I would call HYPED

mainly because I'm pretty busy =.=

so why doesn't he review Killzone 2 or Resistance 2? is he too good for them? lol

I hope Borderlands won't be a disappointment. Anyways great summary of another E3 filled with hope and failure.

hahaha was what i was doing at the back of the throat theme credits....he could of been gargling what comes out if u wank.....ive said something ben would probably say

EA's Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 slipped your notice and I KNOW that at some point you'll end up talking about at least one of them if not both.

this man is so constantly funny it's almost frighting

Loved the sarcastic excitement when calling out the franchises.

I think that the wii vitality sensor is the last straw for me.

here's an idea for a video game:

Salt: the Down Syndromatic Dog! who would collect chromozones thoughout feudal japan!

Nothing good enough with the announcement of Modern Warfare 2 to rub it's nose into the ground?

Otherwise, a spectacular review as always.

Rofl I'm a double shit with large fries.

why was there no talk on left for dead 2, deadrising 2, or bioshock 2. i know they're sequels but they had the most promising look out of all the games at e3

You used to be one of my favorite hardass reviewers. Now I don't find you funny anymore. Barely entertaining, although some videos you do are better then others. What's changed? Well, you used to actually review games. You would take legitimate problems and exaggerate a little, but that's what would make it funny. Now you just hate on everything, so yeah, you've lost it for now.

This is probably one of my favorites so far, since it covers so much different ground the replay value is excellent.

I like ZP. It's nice to have somewhere to go for constant and consistent quality.

gaaaaaaaaay i was hoping to be dead smug about that figured a 360 mg exclusive would realy annoy ps3 users or at least mgs fans

Although I loved the clip as usual, I must say that you were a bit one-way-traffic in this one... I agree with you on the unintuitivity of many games that have been coming/are going to come out, but some of them you flamed in advance... I understand how upset you must be with all the shit developers have been producing over the past years, but that's just the way it is (it's the reason I stopped gaming a while ago and is the reason I'm not playing at this moment). I don't mean I dislike what you did here, but just think you should change your stance a bit on this, or you'll be left with nothing new to say in a few weeks.
In short: I hope that some decent games get released soon, so all you gamers can live your lifes happily again for some time (for a few years when it's online) and I can restart fully enjoying your MARVELous (didn't intend to remind you of the awfull comic series games they helped produce) cynicism :).

My love to all...

P.S. I CREATED AN ACCOUNT JUST FOR THIS POST AGAINST ALL MY PRINCIPLES. YOU CAN VIEW THIS ACT AS A TOKEN OF MY CONCERN.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here