The MMOGs of E3

The MMOGs of E3

We dip our toes in a few of E3's more notable MMOGs.

Read Full Article

Ah, great. More MMOs. Too bad they killed KotOR with this online game. KotOR was one of the last good bastions of the single player franchise.

APPCRASH:
Ah, great. More MMOs. Too bad they killed KotOR with this online game. KotOR was one of the last good bastions of the single player franchise.

Would have to agree with you in part with KoTOR being one of the last, best, single-player games. I still will have to try out SW:TOR for myself before making any assumptions, however.

Out of the MMOs outlined here, I would have to say that Global Agenda looks the best. I never heard of it, to be honest, but it looks decent.

Global Agenda looks nice, it'll be between it, Huxley, and Crimecraft

Doesn't seem like anything will actually tip World of WarCraft this decade... Great job Blizz!

APB seems cool, though The Old Republic is still at the top of my hit list.

Jumpgate:Evolution is my favorite of the bunch. I only first heard about it from E3 coverage, but I've been looking forward to it ever since.

You've got to expect half of APB's fanbase to have "Never Gonna Give You Up" as their death tune though.
Either that or RATM's "Bullet in the Head".

I personally want the Mario level up sound for my death tune.

I'm pretty stoked for Global Agenda. APB looks neat too.

OOOHHHHH, APB stands for All Points Bulletin. You know, I've been thinking that was like a codename or something for so long. I didn't figure it out until reading Susan's piece. Jeez, now I feel stupid.

Now that...that is a lineup. Global agenda looks to be able to be summed up in one word-- it starts with A (it's either awesome or arse...only time will tell). Not bad for the bastard child of Exteel and Red Faction.

As for my deathtune...I'm gonna go with 'Don't Stop Me Now', by Queen.

I just know there will be a clan using "Crawling in my skin" as a death tune.

Is it wrong that I don't care about any of these games?

Just hurry up with Aion. Or The Old Republic, whichever will be first... Even though I know the answer.

Halfbreed13:
Global Agenda looks nice

Yeah I think it look like the pick of the bunch.

Been following APB and Global Agenda, got a lil more trust in realtime worlds though.

To be honest, I'm with the writer, Jumpgate has me squirming. I was snapped up by mech and starfighter simulators when I was younger and have been desperately searching for them since / awaiting their return. Jumpgate will either be their revival ( if it can pull enough player base from my generation of gamers and the one prior that got hooked to the genre and have been waiting for it to come back in the closet while attempting to let WoW and other games fill the hole in our hearts), or the final nail in a coffin thats damn near sealed.

I've been waiting for Global Agenda for about a year now since I stumbled across their website long ago, and am fairly excited.

I dont know if I can handle another fantasy MMO as WoW and Warhammer pretty much killed it for me. APB actually looks pretty disapointing. Being a huge fan of Crackdown, I would have hoped they would have done an mmo that has the same free world roam and enjoyment but on a larger scale.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Jumpgate:Evolution is my favorite of the bunch. I only first heard about it from E3 coverage, but I've been looking forward to it ever since.

I've been waiting for that game since they first announced its existence. I never got to try the original Jumpgate so a revamping of the same concept sounds awesome.

Want it. Want it. Want it.

Seems like Global Agenda decided to copy Talislantia's tagline.

Knights Of The Old Republic still seems the best of games being developed.

APB seems like a PVP fragfest where all of the character design is probably meaningless in the final equasion since nobody will be looking at each other's avatars going "wow, that is really cool". What's more the level of detail allowed makes me think that the game isn't going to have much of a gear/equipment system.

A lot of games take a bare-bones approach to the basic character models since your going to be looking at their armor 99.9% of the time.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Therumancer:

APB seems like a PVP fragfest where all of the character design is probably meaningless in the final equasion since nobody will be looking at each other's avatars going "wow, that is really cool". What's more the level of detail allowed makes me think that the game isn't going to have much of a gear/equipment system.

Yeah, but isn't that good? Take away the gear and you're left with player/character skill... :)

Chipperz:

Therumancer:

Yeah, but isn't that good? Take away the gear and you're left with player/character skill... :)

Yes that is good to an extent it's better to rely on skill than equipment thats why I liked Guild Wars

Chipperz:

Therumancer:

Well as someone who plays RPGs I tend to disagree with you, since I prefer stat management and such.

Besides which, going after gear and such is what keeps a lot of people playing the games. If some dude who just logged in yesterday can be equal or superior to someone who has been playing for years, I have an issue with that.

But then again, understand I'm disabled and my twitch-reflexs are not exactly great. I still play fighting games due to my addiction to them (I guess I'm a high octane masochist when it comes to that, since it's competitive twitch), so honestly I don't see much appeal.

Besides which if your making a game THAT shallow, again why bother to even call it an MMOG to begin with, or (presumably) charge mebership fees? Why bother with character customization. It's just yet another online deathmatch mode which people play for free.

To a large extent I think one of the things that makes World Of Warcraft so dominating is that it's pretty much the only MMO to have done PVP "right". This is despite criticisms by various people who don't like it, think of the raw numbers of people involved in it.

World Of Warcraft was able to achieve a hybrid of stat management and skill (due to real time activity) that is unprecedented, albeit highly open to abuse. It also introduced "Battlegrounds" and made them work before anyone else (not a new idea, but this is the first time it seemed to function properly) with objective based gameplay, as opposed to being able to win by simply fragging the other side. Hence why you've had problems with newbies HK (Honorable Kill) farming and costing people battles becayse ultimatly how many players you kill doesn't matter if they complete the objectives and you don't. For example killing a player is not nessicarly the best thing to do because they respawn at their base. If say your team is in the midst of attacking said base for the flag, you don't want another gun to come running in from the Graveyard fresh.

Of course there are huge game balance issues there, mainly in giving "The Horde" too many advantages to begin with, and leading to a snowball effect that continued long after any attempts to fix the problem. One of the reasons why "Penny Arcade" once referred to rolling Aliance in WoW as one of the biggest obvious gips in gaming. Of course you'll find many WoW players militantly denying these problems.

>>>----Therumancer--->

As long as there aren't subscription fees

Therumancer:
*snip*

See, this was why I say player/character skill. I'd LOVE to see a game where your character's evolution was more important than what gear he had (and no, a character's evolution is NOT what gear he has). If a player decides his character should go lightly armoured, his character should slowly become faster and better at dodging, a character that has used the same weapon (or at least weapon style) should be far better in combat than someone who has just switched to dual wielding "for a change". This is the problem with a gear-based system, there is no character evolution. What I'm suggesting would still mean that someone who's played a character for a month will still be better than a character created yesterday, but because theire character has been played more, not because they've had the time to run for some "phat epix lewtz". Warcraft does this in a truly simplistic way, with the "extra 5 ranks to Offence and Defence per level" route, but I'm suggesting something a great deal more involved than that.

Please, PLEASE tell me how any part of this concept is "shallow".

Chipperz:

Therumancer:
*snip*

See, this was why I say player/character skill. I'd LOVE to see a game where your character's evolution was more important than what gear he had (and no, a character's evolution is NOT what gear he has). If a player decides his character should go lightly armoured, his character should slowly become faster and better at dodging, a character that has used the same weapon (or at least weapon style) should be far better in combat than someone who has just switched to dual wielding "for a change". This is the problem with a gear-based system, there is no character evolution. What I'm suggesting would still mean that someone who's played a character for a month will still be better than a character created yesterday, but because theire character has been played more, not because they've had the time to run for some "phat epix lewtz". Warcraft does this in a truly simplistic way, with the "extra 5 ranks to Offence and Defence per level" route, but I'm suggesting something a great deal more involved than that.

Please, PLEASE tell me how any part of this concept is "shallow".

Well your still ultimatly talking about a stat based game not one entirely based on skill. Though arguably what you present is unworkable if you intend it in an action/twitch type enviroment because of course in a game that actually allows "gamepad evasion" (ie moving out of the way of attacks rather than hits being computer registered based on stats when launched) things like speed are going to be disproportionatly powerful, especially seeing as armor should ultimatly be better in a medieval fantasy game (the whole swashbuckler/swishy poke version of combat was impractical until guns did away with heavily armored warriors, various fantasy writers trying to be 'cool' aside).

Besides many MMORPGs do allow for the lightly armored guy based on speed and agility, this is typically what rogues and such are, and their stats are based on dodge rather than damage resistance, however they tend to get pwned in a straight fight against a plate class who knows what they are doing, which is pretty much how things should be given equal levels and gear.

The thing about item progression is that it gives you something to work towards even when you max level, a guy who wanders around doing endgame raiding SHOULD be tougher than most players who wander around farming Honor Kills, or hanging out in "The Forest Of Wolves" endlessly grinding low end monsters (South Park referance), and any of these guys should be a god compared to a new player, no matter how quick the fingers of that new player might be.

I *DO* sort of agree with you in a way though. Keeping the RPG/equipment elements, I do think that one of the things holding back MMOs is the "class" system. I would like to see more attempts to work on a classless MMORPG system sort of like Oblivion or whatever, allowing people to develop the skills they use over a period of time, and also at least in PVE being able to switch roles so that way the guy playing the priest isn't for example pigeonholed into being a raid healer for the most part. People can take turns doing differant roles.

Of course balancing this out so not everyone can do everything is tricky, most attempts to do this have ultimatly lead to the game being class based for all intents and purposes anyway (old school SWG, or Ultima Online for example).

But at any rate, as far as I'm concerned the abillity of some guy with quick fingers to dodge my attacks is something that doesn't belong in a true MMOG, I feel games like that already exist in the form of FPS arenas and online fighting games. There are even options in some of them to customize your Avatar already.

>>>----Therumancer--->

The_root_of_all_evil:
You've got to expect half of APB's fanbase to have "Never Gonna Give You Up" as their death tune though.

One thing I didn't make clear is that you have to create the death tune yourself. You can't just stream a song, you have to construct it in a music maker. So it'll be chiptune versions of Never Gonna Give You Up. :)

Dibs on the Keyboard Cat theme.

Susan Arendt:

The_root_of_all_evil:

One thing I didn't make clear is that you have to create the death tune yourself. You can't just stream a song, you have to construct it in a music maker. So it'll be chiptune versions of Never Gonna Give You Up. :)

Which just makes it even worse :) I can see championships for aural delights like "The Birdie Song" - "The Macarena" - "Barbie Girl"

The only downside to massive customization options is that I'd spend all day making the toon, then log off and never play it again because I felt like I didn't get it quite right.

Someone's APB death tune should be the one-up noise from Super Mario Bros.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here