The Escapist Show: Episode 34: The Conduit

Episode 34: The Conduit

This week on The Escapist Show we get an exclusive look at The Conduit for the Wii, and find out who the Escapist staff has as role models.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
Frank Klepacki - "Machines Collide"
DJ Drunken Master - "Wet Slick"

Watch Video

I hadn't heard of The Conduit but it looks like I may use my Wii eventually. I was actually shocked by the graphics, seeing as I'm used to looking at those little guys from WiiSports etc. It looks good.

And how dare you call Funk a furry! Having Sonic as a role model is odd perfectly normal.

Hey look everybody, Halo: CE finally made it to the Wii.

I like Emily's answer the best. :)

I cracked up at John and Susan's mini-argument.

Also, who got to throw the Wiimotes at Russ?

How many Wiimotes did you throw at Russ? Was each an individual throw or did you pick them up afterwards?

Random question I know, but one I'd like an answer to.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

I reckon they all had a go.

This episode clearly missed Russ singing...

I was hoping someone would throw that bowling ball accessory.

Also that guy's sales pitch sounded lame... I mean, yeah, I'll probably get The Conduit because I think the Wii controls are very well suited for an FPS but he's really not selling it well.

Jordan's answer explains so much.

Why was there a safety pin on the ponies neck? Btw, great episode.

Was The Conduit guy talking to a dwarf, or reading off a script?

InProgress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFfVaDFjeAM should explain things for you.

Operations:

It was a crowded and very small presentation room. There were a couple of journalists in there, sitting on very low stools, and it was very loud. In all, not the best set-up we've ever seen for an on-camera presentation, but I think he made it work.

Oh that is such an awesome surprise for me this morning. Thank you to the Escapist Staff for sharing your role models be they real life or fictional.

I'm quite shocked and pleased a good amount said their father was their role model and I would agree parents can be great role models.

Oh and Russ, great pick it all makes sense.

P.S. Yes I am quite the interrogator.

At least those wii-motes had their protective coverings on. Who knows what kind of accidents would have occurred if they hadn't!
Man I'm strangely out of sync with the gaming world lately. First Point Lookout, now this. I need to get on top of things.

Operations:

For that episode our camera man was "Professor Loveless the Deranged Midget". Thats what his business card said anyways. He used to do a ton of work for Mtv during the "Club Mtv" days.

InProgress:

There was a great battle between the DDKR and PonyJam factions. It was then that PonyJam was beheaded by DDKR because, as we all know, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!

However, unseen sinister forces lurking in the dark brought PJ back from the dead to battle another day. Who or what these evil forces are and what they want is still a mystery!

Who knows what the future will bring...stay tuned...

(evil laugh, lightning and thunder here)

George Palmer:

InProgress:

There was a great battle between the DDKR and PonyJam factions. It was then that PonyJam was beheaded by DDKR because, as we all know, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!

However, unseen sinister forces lurking in the dark brought PJ back from the dead to battle another day. Who or what these evil forces are and what they want is still a mystery!

Who knows what the future will bring...stay tuned...

(evil laugh, lightning and thunder here)

You people have to much free time. That's why you're awesome.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I cracked up at John and Susan's mini-argument.

That would be me! And how fun it was too!

We have a total of 134 Wii Remotes here at the office so there is plenty to throw at people. Every now and then a fairly serious Wii fight will break out. At the last great battle we lost two interns and several people have been scarred for life. I myself lost an elbow and both earlobes.

It was just like being back in 'Nam, only worse and without the hookers offering to "love me long time baby".

Is it just me, or was he promoting reflective surfaces and bump mapping as 'features' of the game, and not, y'know, the standard of today's games?

Looks pretty decent for the Wii, mind - I haven't yet tried an FPS on the Wii yet,

Looks good, and I am sure the online will be the main selling point for this game. Because lets face it, every single game totes their story as being awesome, clever, and unpredictable, when in fact they tend to be bland and skipped for the most part because of horrible acting/dialogue.

I think there should be a community wide greenscreen challenge for the part where Russ was getting Wii remotes thrown at him.

Itīs alive. The Pony is alive! Make your amends, for the day of reckoning is here.

...Anyway, that was an interesting twist right there. This War of Epic Proportions could turn out to be quite an entertaining spectacle.

One more thing: Was that a Companion Ball the guy was holding?

Cpt_Oblivious:
I hadn't heard of The Conduit but it looks like I may use my Wii eventually. I was actually shocked by the graphics, seeing as I'm used to looking at those little guys from WiiSports etc. It looks good.

And how dare you call Funk a furry! Having Sonic as a role model is odd perfectly normal.

I looked at it, and while I'm not a graphics whore by any means, I wanted them to show the final build footage, because it looks better than that. And also because I almost feel that the Wii has something to prove to people, when it doesn't at all. Hell IGN reviews tell all the effects that it utilises, and I was surprised for sure. HDR? The hell?

Either way I've been anticipating it, and sincerely pissed off it got delayed by two weeks in Europe, but I have Prototype to keep me entertained XD. I will say however that I don't think it is revolutionary, like Russ said, the developers themselves have said that they don't want to create something revolutionary, they want to refine this type of title so it's the best of the bunch.

Whew.

super_smash_jesus:
Looks good, and I am sure the online will be the main selling point for this game. Because lets face it, every single game totes their story as being awesome, clever, and unpredictable, when in fact they tend to be bland and skipped for the most part because of horrible acting/dialogue.

Aye, I doubt that I will be disappointed by the story, because I am not going in there expecting Ridley Scott. But I have heard that it's very reminiscent of Perfect Dark overall, and that can only be a good thing. Not sure about the voice acting either, but it will only be minor.

But like I said above, I'm glad they just laid the brass tracks down and said that this title wasn't going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but the best sliced bread that's available to you.

And yes, that line was terrible. Allow me to go play chicken with a 16 wheeler now.

This game actually looks very cool. Escapist staff, give Russ a break and stop throwing Wii-motes at him :D

Ponies will reign...

Congrats Escapist, this is the only series that gets me to sit through the entire video.

I miss half a day at work and I miss the questions. *sigh*

hehe...funks a furry...

Spinwhiz:

You need more questions for your question of the week segment? I don't know if you want me asking more questions. It would be me playing the detective.

Now, how many lights do you see? Four or five?

Nerdfury:
Is it just me, or was he promoting reflective surfaces and bump mapping as 'features' of the game, and not, y'know, the standard of today's games?

Looks pretty decent for the Wii, mind - I haven't yet tried an FPS on the Wii yet,

It's more because some people, fanboys mostly, like to point out that the Wii is graphically inferior (because you know, graphics are the only reason to play games these days). Now yes, they are right. However, what High Voltage has done is made an impressive-looking and impressive-playing (at least from reviews) FPS on the Wii. Either it's a "take that" against fanboys, or they just wanted to do it because they could, who can say.

The only other FPS I've played on The Wii was Red Steel, and I actually enjoyed it even though it was very flawed (again, as was pointed out in the video, they didn't have anything to build off of or look at first). Hopefully once I'm less broke I'll grab The Conduit and hopefully get some great multiplayer out of it.

Spinwhiz:

Yeah I missed the Toast question because I had the day off... I understand.

like many other wii shooting games this will fail..... misribly

Jellyman223:
like many other wii shooting games this will fail..... misribly

You know, I really don't think so.

Anyway, this was a great episode, enlightened me a bit, especially since I was thinking about the hardware (or lack thereof) that the developers had to create the game with, they must have done some amazing optimization techniques.

And like, I dunno, I don't have a Wii but a couple of my friends do, they got it and they think it's great - same guys who play stuff like CoD 4 on their 360s and such. So it must have something to it, you know?

It looks pretty cool, and I'd like to give it a shot, and it's probably the best control scheme for a FPS I've seen (next to a mouse and keyboard, of course! ;) ), definitely a more revolutionary one than two analog sticks...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here