Zero Punctuation: Prototype

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Was a pretty fun review as always, however I did feel Yahtzee didn't know wtf he was talking about when it came to best potential destructive use of Mercer's abilities.

Sure the whip power is extraordinarily good at sweeiping out lesser enemies, however the blade power works just as well on them when upgraded and becomes a key power when taking on quite literally everything else.

Tanks, APCs, Helicopters (if you can hit the bastards), hunters, hunter leaders, supreme hunter (although can be a bit annoying at times), and of course elizabeth green. Run up building, launch self off, diving blade slash and you cleave off her HP in massive chunks.

Also for random carnage the claws tend to be much more fun in large crowds since, well its more graphically enjoyable to see them get sliced up and personal rather thana t a distance. Theres something liberating about runing upto the faces of innocent civilians and dismembering them.

I have to admit the Hammerfist power got used on hunters and tanks etc until i got the blad,e at which point i barely looked near it unless i wanted to simply crush someone in the face.

He also conviently missed out the defensive powers. Put your shield on while the army/police are shooting at you and you can have a fun little time seeing how many of their buddies you can kill with just the bullet ricochet.

As for the armour, well once you get that then you are pretty much sorted for finishing the game since you can still run up buildings which to be honest makes you an unstoppable killing machine when you've got Armor and Blade on.

As for storyline. Personally I quite liked mercer's approach to it since, if yahtzee had been doing his job right and been paying attention, he'd have picked up on the fact that mercer is very much willing (even in his emo modes) to maim pillage and murder everything in his path to get to the people who did this to him.

Also when he finds out

As for moral choices well its actually the first game I've come across that accurately reflect the real world.

If you had super powers, you wouldn't have any moral choices. Everyone would petty much be out to kill you, the bad guys the "good" guys, the nuetral guys, everyone.

You'd have no choice but to kill them all till they realised it's suicidal to even think about challenging you.

LMAO,that video was pretty good, made me laugh plenty. I haven't played Infamous (don't own a PS3) but I do have Prototype and I am enjoying it well enough. Gets a bit repetetive and there are freakishly hard parts but the huge scenes of mayhem and big ptiched battles are fun. And I use the whip-fist only a bit here and there. I really enjoy the armor and the blade arm...or the claws....claws can be really fun. I'm not so big on the hammerhands ability...but you gotta love the Stealth consume hehe.

Prototype is great! Atleast the first hours you play the game. After that it kind-of goes down hill. Everything you do is the same. But the killing never gets old thouhg.
Great review! :D Loved the part with the murderous mr. bean :)

wasn't prototype under development first??
i watched a gameplay trailer for it late 2008 and i heard if inFamous last month..,
i liked prototype by the way.
apart from the pointless side missions....but who cares??
you can throw people off buildings at helicopters....FUN TIMES

OH!! by the way...i agree.....i used whip-fist once when i got it...but later on when i discoverd it could kill a hunter in about 5 seconds i ditched everything else
plus you can grab helicopters from a large distance which was great for when they shoot you down and you eject and steal the one that just tried to kill you.
Whip-fist was the best power.....and blade was funny

I'm wondering if Yahtzee will receive the pictures frm the developers lol

Nice review fave bit was the Asshole potential contest lol

Emo Peter Pan, Mr Bean serial killer! I can't wait for a pic with Alex Mercer stripped down!

M4rsch:
It was fun but yathzee seems to be trading game review quality for dick jokes lately. Not quite sure whether i like this.

The dick jokes are fine, but the replacing part is what concerns me.

I hope we will get a picture but also when is GAMEDAMAGE coming out (a show with Yahtzee,matt and Yug from a Australian mag also i hope it is on Foxtel)Prototype for killing and infamous for story and side missions.....

Just here to say prototype was in production first they worked on it longer than inFamous.

That part about eating soldiers and old men sounded totally cool. As long as it meant actual cannibalism rather than anything homoerotic.

Prototype vs InFamous was bound to happen. Personally I would've given Prototype the advantage due to it being available for us lowly 360 players and not just the PS3 elitists...

Well to be honest I thought this weeks review was as bad as last weeks E3 review. I think yahtzee is so witty and truly a comic genius but as of late I dont feel he is reviewing a game for any other reason than to rip it to pieces (which for the most part is funny and accurate)But who can honestly say Infamous is anywhere near as good as Prototype.

The combat system is a million times better than infamous the story is brillant and the web of intrigue brings a "gotta catch all" element to the game. traveling is so enjoyable too i have yet to get bored of the game and I've been playing it for a week solid ....oh and one more thing the whip arm is for noobs unless ur using it to latch on to helicopters. One last thing Infamous is a sucky jedi wannabe game in the hood lol.

[quote="jasoncyrus" post="6.120946.2395651"]Was a pretty fun review as always, however I did feel Yahtzee didn't know wtf he was talking about when it came to best potential destructive use of Mercer's abilities.

I only took this part to quote but i do agree entirley, Its like he does'nt play games through to the end?

4fromK:

Ghadente:
Prototype.

I don't agree with points being taken away from prototype because he doesn't remember anything, its interesting to pieces the web of intriuge together.

yeah, he took points of because tis really unoriginal as a plot device.

So is having super powers on accident...

I happen to strongly disagree with Yahtzee's statement that the whipfist is the only power anyone would want to use. It's good against soldiers, and it's great to hijack helicopters, but against Hunters, supersoldiers and any sort of armor you really want the blade: the jump-charge-and-slice-down attack is stupidly damaging.
The other two attack powers (big fists and claws) aren't as useful: the fists, I'll be honest, I didn't unlock until restarting the game in plus mode, and even then I found myself only using them for novelty, and the claws don't deal very much damage by themselves. Sure, you have the underground spike attack, but its range is too short, it's way too slow and once the attack is done there's a delay of two or so seconds until Alex can move again, so I found it a great way to lose a lot of health very quickly.

Yahtzee also seems to have missed an important point of Prototype: the game is not about being as efficient as possible in combat. If you play it like that then yeah, you won't be upgrading many things, because the whipfist and blade will dispose of everything the game throws at you. Prototype's combat is mainly about the rule of cool. When you can shoryuken a marine (or Hunter...) in the air, punch him thrice in midair then slam him into the ground like a rail spike, and then feel all stylish and cool for pulling it off, THAT's what Prototype is about.

Also helicopters + whipfist = stupid amounts of fun. I've had loads of fun flying around in gunships doing random damage to bases and hives, and swapping helicopters as they get damaged by ejecting from one and whipfisting right onto another one. It's fun to see how long you can keep this up without touching the ground. I think my best was eight gunships before missing a whipfist grapple attack and falling.

Fallingwater:
I happen to strongly disagree with Yahtzee's statement that the whipfist is the only power anyone would want to use. It's good against soldiers, and it's great to hijack helicopters, but against Hunters, supersoldiers and any sort of armor you really want the blade: the jump-charge-and-slice-down attack is stupidly damaging.
The other two attack powers (big fists and claws) aren't as useful: the fists, I'll be honest, I didn't unlock until restarting the game in plus mode, and even then I found myself only using them for novelty, and the claws don't deal very much damage by themselves. Sure, you have the underground spike attack, but its range is too short, it's way too slow and once the attack is done there's a delay of two or so seconds until Alex can move again, so I found it a great way to lose a lot of health very quickly.

Yahtzee also seems to have missed an important point of Prototype: the game is not about being as efficient as possible in combat. If you play it like that then yeah, you won't be upgrading many things, because the whipfist and blade will dispose of everything the game throws at you. Prototype's combat is mainly about the rule of cool. When you can shoryuken a marine (or Hunter...) in the air, punch him thrice in midair then slam him into the ground like a rail spike, and then feel all stylish and cool for pulling it off, THAT's what Prototype is about.

Also helicopters + whipfist = stupid amounts of fun. I've had loads of fun flying around in gunships doing random damage to bases and hives, and swapping helicopters as they get damaged by ejecting from one and whipfisting right onto another one. It's fun to see how long you can keep this up without touching the ground. I think my best was eight gunships before missing a whipfist grapple attack and falling.

I actually found the fully upgraded Muscle Mass to be what I used on Supers and Hunters the most. Hammer I used on tanks until the Blade was available but I also farmed EP before the next chapter like I would die without everything unlocked that chapter had to offer. *cough* >_>

I actually still used the claws a lot because I am a big fan of maiming people... I liked the speed and charged attacks weren't hard to pull off for extra damage. The spikes I found to be useful and the delay wasn't a problem if you were quick about stealing health back. However, you're right, a lot of the weapons were about cool factor.

I found myself with armor and claws running around with the odd chant of "We are Venom" then I would shut up and quell my nerddom for a while while turning into super grandma.

Was I the only person using the kicks to get close to helicopters and then hitting B to hijack instead of damage the choppers out of a sick bit of challenge? (done simply for showmanship, I assure you)

Ew. I never ever use the tentacle except for helicopter jacking.

:O

He doesn't care about negative comments. You are not going to make him cry out " WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

give it a rest who cares if ones better we all know its spider man web of shadows where you got to be evil gooey spider man. you know what I find funny is in infamous you can do the spray fly thing too and it looks exactly like the one from prototype

i throught prototype reminded alittle like spiderman in free roam tbh but like gta with superpowers i did agree the story line was alittle confusing tbh i have no comments on infamous because i havn't played it...

I usually enjoy ur reviews alot because there funny and this one was funny but lacking an actual review...it was more of half a review on one game and an additional 1/2 a review on a game you had already reviewed...i do believe though that prototype is better

CheeseFlareUK:
He doesn't care about negative comments. You are not going to make him cry out " WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

He does well not to care. His job is to rip games apart, and he does it splendidly.
People keep criticizing Yahtzee for being unfair, when his unfairiness is exactly what makes his clips fun. Well, one of many things, anyway.

DWN: oh yes, I forgot about Musclemass. Still have to unlock that one. :p Well, I guess it goes to show Prototype lends itself well to various combat styles, which is definitely a plus. :)

imo Infamous is better, only place Prototype is superior is in combat, because its F-ing fun to screw around and kill people...although other than that I pretty much give it to Infamous

ninjajoeman:
give it a rest who cares if ones better we all know its spider man web of shadows where you got to be evil gooey spider man. you know what I find funny is in infamous you can do the spray fly thing too and it looks exactly like the one from prototype

he uses lightning...honestly I think this wasn't a comparison he just wanted to make it a tie so he could get photos of the characters in woman's underwear...

RazielDethAngel:
I enjoy Prototype as it's the only one I own. On that chance I shall go photoshop a picture of Alec MErcer in a bra so he will win.

If you make a shop of alex in a bra, prototype will loose, or lose, can't remember which is right.

I think you should have stayed with the game more instead of just comparing it to inFamous. I really like how your funny and all but be a critic first and then a comedian. I mean, it is your job in the first place. A lot of people seem to praise you for your jokes more than your critiquing skills, and I think they miss the point of your show or are beginning to.

The first time i've actually been dissapointed by ZP.
If he was going to compare the 2 games, he shouldn't have done Infamous the other week. Wheres my Prototype REVIEW?

The bit with Jeffrey Dahmer had me in tears. Excellent work, sir!

I own prototype, and have had a blast playing it. That said, I'm trying not to be biased, but he made Infamous sound kind of boring. I haven't played it so I don't know personally, but did anyone else get that feeling?

I can forsee a Infamous vs Prototype game, in the same vein as Alien vs Predator.

Or better yet, Alec morphs into the bra-wearing woman, him and Cole get together, and before you can say abracadabra: a biohazard morphing flying emo electro-baby.

It runs off and eats Australia.

Yahtzee: It looks like you're going to be saving all kinds of money on games in the near future anyway, given your prime minister is going to ban all of them. All the ones except those intended for preschoolers, that is.

What's up with "Sir Dickhead" Stephen Conroy? Why haven't you bombed his house yet?

Are you going to immigrate? Or is there some kind of radical underground resistance movement for gamers in Down Under?

That was a pretty funny one. I wonder if he will get a picture of one of them. I also wonder if he would post it somewhere if he got it.

PS2MAN:
This is not really a Review of Prototype rather than a half assed debate. I real dissapionted this week.

I have to agree completely here.

Standby:
The first time i've actually been dissapointed by ZP.
If he was going to compare the 2 games, he shouldn't have done Infamous the other week. Wheres my Prototype REVIEW?

And here.

That thing at the end reminded me of the battle between Alucard and Incognito. Until the jet that is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here