Zero Punctuation: Prototype

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I know he doesn't even read these but damn...he has gotten really good lately. I don't know what happened over the last month but Yahtzee has gotten so funny I almost feel bad for watching these for free :P.

dashiz94:
Why did he have to do this? I'm getting irritated with the whole "prototype copied infamous" and vice versa. For one thing, Prototype was in development since like what, 2005? A lot of his points were dumb such as the not using any weapon, I use EVERYTHING. ITS WHAT MAKES THE GAME FUN. Second, do gliding challenges have to have a purpose? Third, the whole web of intrigue thing is just a unique tidbit to the game's story that adds nothing because you can't figure out what the fuck any of it means. Beside that, it isn't meant to explain the story. And I found the story to be rather simple and easy to follow. Look, I'm not a fanboy or anything, it's just that this review pissed me off because of all the ridiculously stupid points. AND the fact that he had to compare it to inFamous, one of the things I wouldn't expect this reviewer to do.

I actually learned a lot from the Web of Intrigue but I also got all of them too...

James teh OG:
I vote both developer's take up Yahtzee's challenge IMMEDIATELY.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one or both did haha. And it would be awesome if they did.

I only played Prototype but there's one thing that can be said about it, I've said it already but I'll say it again. It's an improved version of Hulks Ultimate Destruction, I'm not kidding when I say that most of the movement abilities are exactly from that game. Give it a try if you think I'm wrong when I say the gameplay is nearly identical in a lot of ways. Though granted they improved it a lot with camo, story, more moves, more enemies, some stealth and better graphics, it's still very very similar. (Not saying that's a bad thing

Prototype was in development first so i suppose the award would go to Prototype

I agree with the video as a whole, and it was a very good review of what makes both games good. I own both and i am quite happy with my choice although, just to put in my own 2 cents, i do prefer prototype.

Funny as hell as always.

Snotnarok:

James teh OG:
I vote both developer's take up Yahtzee's challenge IMMEDIATELY.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one or both did haha. And it would be awesome if they did.

I only played Prototype but there's one thing that can be said about it, I've said it already but I'll say it again. It's an improved version of Hulks Ultimate Destruction, I'm not kidding when I say that most of the movement abilities are exactly from that game. Give it a try if you think I'm wrong when I say the gameplay is nearly identical in a lot of ways. Though granted they improved it a lot with camo, story, more moves, more enemies, some stealth and better graphics, it's still very very similar. (Not saying that's a bad thing

LOL, you win the Predecessor Award for mentioning that first. The same company made both and I own both and it is almost criminal how much descended into this game. Critical Mass, Devastators (called Critical moves in Hulk), the way you run up walls, the way you bat people aside when you are armored, charging up your attacked for more damage with a visual effect to go with it, double dash through the air... A lot of things.

And no, it isn't a bad thing, it is a fucking great thing because The Hulk was fucking sweet when it came out and I wasted a lot of my life destressing with that game.

I know the "tests" are painfully forced, but I feel cheated. No winner?

Also, a second Jeffrey Dahmer reference? Yahtzee, you borderline voraphile.

O GAWD EMO PETER PAN loved it

Good show yahtzee good show

Wow nearly 300 comments. Anyways nice review again, can't wait for next weeks.

I think Yahtzee underplayed Prototype by using the whipfist only, not to mention the fact that there's just as much tactical value in every power.

Somehow I knew I wouldn't get a good idea of which is better. Still, the video was entertaining.

xD This one's A lot better then Yahtzee's last few have been. It was "made of win". *Shot.*

Throw my hat in the ring of those who said they eagerly look forward to the bra-character submissions. ;)

That said, I'd definitely get Prototype over Infamous... because I already own a PC and I'm putting off my PS3 purchase until the console hits $200-$300, and that doesn't look like it's happening soon or (given inflation) likely during my lifetime.

Well I'm sold on buying Prototype. Because as he mentioned it's more fun to d**k around in it and that is mainly what I want in a sandbox game.

Zand88:
I know the "tests" are painfully forced, but I feel cheated. No winner?

Also, a second Jeffrey Dahmer reference? Yahtzee, you borderline voraphile.

Jeffrey Dahmer? ahhhh now I have to go look him up and watch the video again to figure out the reference or I won't be able to sleep tonight

Let the fanatical "Who would win in fight" debates commence.

Let the fanatical "Who would win in fight" debates commence.

It would be a short fight. The Prototype guy is an abomination whose powers fairly herald the apocolypse, while the Infamous guy is just an electric superhero against a backdrop where superheroes aren't common.

It'd be like: OMNOMNOMNOM oh look, that last guy I ate lets me shoot lightning.. that's sort of weak, back to leveling skyscrapers with a dirty look. *Burp*

MowDownJoe:
Wait, Yahtzee... you're saying you never did... this:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/25/

I'd say that's masochism and a half there...

Well to copy this guy I think you can choose the winner by this:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/19/

Ineed, what else do you want?

LOL so funny!

I do totally use the whipfist power for everything... Needs more upgrades!

Prototype.

i played the demo for Infamous and became bored. watched some trailers of Prototype and thought it was a better choice between the two. I was right. about the time it took me to get bored of Infamous, i was enjoying Prototype like crazy. It feels like the Spiderman sandbox but way better. I don't agree with points being taken away from prototype because he doesn't remember anything, its interesting to pieces the web of intriuge together. And i hardly have used the "extended arms" weapon, the blade, and claws are more fun to use.
Also infamous's karma system is one-sided anyway, Evil = stronger, so most players will be killing everyone anyway like prototype but with less options for doing so. i think Prototypes gameplay trumps infamous. i was even hoping infamous would be better cause lightning/electricity powers are kick ass, luckily prototype's shape shifting is way more enjoyable than expected.

I rather liked this, even if it felt a bit short. Which isnt bad, it just makes it... short.

The comparison thing was rather refreshing, dispite that lack of countinous jokes (which it what I adore yahtzee for). It leaned more toward a more covention review.

Look at what I found on the Prototype fan art forums:

Even if the developers refuse to take up the challenge, there will always be fans, and fans will do CRAZY shit just to win Yahtzee's favor :)

I have to say, just on regards to all of the "why would a reviewer compare these two games, they aren't similar" remarks...I was watching advertisements for these two games for the past month on TV, and did not even realize they were separate games until I walked past the local game store the other day, and saw a stand up sign with a poster of each, one on one side, one on the other, then I had to do a double take just to realize they weren't the same game play pictures. Say what you will but when two games with such remarkably similar concepts and play style are released so close together, to think they WON'T be compared is idiocy.

Koos:
The elbow dropping old man was my favorite part easily. I've yet to find an old person in the game tho =/

Eh, anyone with gray hair. Close enough, and still just as awesome.

Really, I like Prototype a little more because of all the crazy shit I can do in the game. This is the only game I can elbow drop tanks and helicopters. Also, the body surf move is sheer greatness. Plus, he does the rock bottom every time he eats a Web of Intrigue target. So I'm very happy with my purchase.

The video was great. First time I ever heard the word "skullfucks". Comparison between the 2 games is inevitable, like saying to a 4 year old "do not touch the expensive vase". Both being superhero AND sandbox games, they are both classy, they both have glitches and they are both fun in their own ways. One pretty much excels where the other kinda lacks and it was good from Yahtzee's behalf to let other people know about this. At the end of the day, it is miles better than IGN's grudge match about P and I. Erik Brudvig is a first class moron.

so, i wonder when we'll see a review of THE CONDUIT

THE CONDUIT THE CONDUIT BUY IT NOW DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE

Funny how he only talks about using the tentical attack cause it's the strongest. Atleast the game has a little variety to it's mindless bloodshead.

I've heard some people who've played Proto say Alex Mercer is a pretty good anti-hero even though there's no moral choices in the game. After what Yahtzee said about moral choices in his InFamous review i thought he'd give Proto a little more praise for going with just a flat out evil dude.

way to not come to a conclusion... this couldve been the biggest flamewar ever, as Prototype v Infamous flaming seems to be the flavour of the month

Ghadente:
Prototype.

I don't agree with points being taken away from prototype because he doesn't remember anything, its interesting to pieces the web of intriuge together.

yeah, he took points of because tis really unoriginal as a plot device.

I think that Prototype is better, cause there more blood, more idiotic violence and the player movement isnt not flow=breaking

Never played Infamous so I can't judge. But Prototype is damn fun. It's my kind of game too. Randomly mass murdering people with no repercussions? Hell yea. Plus I don't care there isn't a story or there are weak characters, I like the action.

So I've been playing Prototype for, oh say 14 hours now and still loving every minute of it. There is nothing like running up the tallest building in the city, jumping off, pile driving into a group of pedestrians, cutting most of them into confetti, then running down the nearest street, picking up a car near an intersection and going car bowling. I just love Prototype just cause it basically goes "Here are some super powers, go nuts." instead of the whole moral choice aspect lingering in the background guiding your hand like a puppet on a string. And if anyone disagrees, I have a blade coming out of my hand, your argument is invalid.

It was funny, but I wish he had reviewed the game properly rather than just compared it to infamous.
Also, why does he only ever seem to use one weapon in games? He's mentioned doing this on several games, like the claws in ninja gaiden and now the tentacle thing in prototype. It's going to be monotonous and lack diversity if you insist on ignoring all the options.

On a side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it was suspiciously similar to the Hulk.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here