Apocalypse Lane: Episode Five: Mississippi Maggot Stew

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I've been telling you all. Just wait. It is going to keep getting better. These guys know what they are doing.

OH COME ON! Last weeks episode was funny, this has just gone back to boring the crap out of me.

I have to say I'm not a fan of this series in any way, it's well drawn and I like the artist's work on Newgrounds but it's just very souless, the episodes seem to build up to a fairly boring or predictable pay off: everyone is eating cat shit or the gay zombie has an obscene story, and the comedy of the build up is in itself tired and not really pushing any buttons for me (spousal abuse or a cookery show with violence).

I'm not saying it's terrible, it just doesn't work for me although I can see that others may enjoy it. It all just feels terribly phoned in, in the writing that is, the art and animation is very good but the scripting is lazy and, at best, a hack...

I think this episode was pretty funny. Cuddles laughing at the end did it for me.

Dahemo:
I have to say I'm not a fan of this series in any way, it's well drawn and I like the artist's work on Newgrounds but it's just very souless, the episodes seem to build up to a fairly boring or predictable pay off: everyone is eating cat shit or the gay zombie has an obscene story, and the comedy of the build up is in itself tired and not really pushing any buttons for me (spousal abuse or a cookery show with violence).

I'm not saying it's terrible, it just doesn't work for me although I can see that others may enjoy it. It all just feels terribly phoned in, in the writing that is, the art and animation is very good but the scripting is lazy and, at best, a hack...

I recommend sticking around for a few more episodes. It may surprise you.

Nice one, I really liked this one.

It keeps getting better every week, keep it up!

Poor father Hickey. I guess it sucks to be a prisoner of your own hand ;).

Best episode yet.

I dont know...Poker Night is my favorite episode. That one had replay value.

But this one was bland at best. The animation is as good as ever, and and voice acting is getting better, but the story, and the jokes, are either obvious, or just not funny.

Sorry to the makers, but as good as an idea this series is, it seems to lack direction, and a continuous humor streak.

it getting there. for the first time in the series, i acually laughed. before i chuckled a bit, but never before a full blown laugh. this could become a great series.

Jon Etheridge:

Abedeus:

In South Park. Nine and a half years ago. Mr Hat had a fight with Mr Mackey. Not exactly the same situation, but close. And it was a lot funnier.

Hahaha. i remember that scene. They were on a school bus going to the recorder concert or something. The brown noise! LOL Love me some South Park. :)

-Jon

That SP episode was sooo funny :D

As for AL, well, maybe it's me, but I didn't laugh even once, or smile, for that matter. Perhaps it's not my kind of humor...

I didn't think this one was that funny. I liked the reference to Steve's roof and the ending was OK but otherwise a pretty poor episode imo.

Ah yes, domestic violence, because you should only have to ask once

Not too shabby. I have a feeling this series will come up with a gut-bustingly funny episode soon, and that should sway any 'meh'-ers.

This series is awesome.

Did you get the idea for more camera motion from my last post? No? *cries*

love the ending!

Brilliant episode.

Saw the end coming, but a self-abusive ventriloquist... HAH!!

Keep em' rolling people :)

I loved this one XD

Reminds me of The Oblongs, in a good way.

lol cuddles hey sugar tits!

sneak_copter:
This series is awesome.

Did you get the idea for more camera motion from my last post? No? *cries*

Thanks dude. Im glad you like the show. As the series goes on it feels like I try to get more ambitious with the camera moves, particle effecs and whatnot. It's fun to play around and try to find out what works and what dosent. It's a great oppertunity for me personally and as the series continues it will ony get better.

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Hmm...

New character idea: just off the top of my head.

Simply put, it's a young guy who always wears a gas-mask and combat fatigues, though not usually body armor; his name is Jack, and he's the town's resident wanderer. He wanders the wastelands, finding interesting things and occassionally popping back into town to show off his latest baubles (for example, an irradiated yo-yo that glows in the dark). He's a pretty good friend of Cuddles and Steve (Steve's second face seems to get the impression that Jack is looking at him funny, but he can't prove it due to the ever-present gas-mask), but Gladys hates him by association with Steve and Cuddles, by his attitude (very cocky and excitable), and because his "house" is, by far, the most unbelievably trashed, dilapidated, and wrecked building in the entirety of Apocalypse Lane. However, underneath his house is his real home- a modified fallout bunker where his parents, some of the last un-mutated individuals in the area, lived and gave birth to him.

That's right- he's the only non-mutant in the whole town.

Reverend Hicky puts up with him, despite Jack's refusal to believe in the Rooster, and Stinky finds his puppy-like "hey, look at what I found in the irradiated military base, go ahead and touch, the zombies didn't have it for very long anyways" kind of attitude rather annoying.

The gay ghoul (I forgot his name, I'm afraid) doesn't mind him too much, although he's noticed the rather nervous posture Jack takes when around him (the ghoul says it's homophobia, but jack says, "I've got no problem with gay people, but I don't trust anyone whose arm is falling off."), and the giant worm.... THING is cool with him, but insistent that he get around to fixing the damn house.

LOL good stuff as usual

angryscotsman93:
Hmm...

New character idea: just off the top of my head.

Simply put, it's a young guy who always wears a gas-mask and combat fatigues, though not usually body armor; his name is Jack, and he's the town's resident wanderer. He wanders the wastelands, finding interesting things and occassionally popping back into town to show off his latest baubles (for example, an irradiated yo-yo that glows in the dark). He's a pretty good friend of Cuddles and Steve (Steve's second face seems to get the impression that Jack is looking at him funny, but he can't prove it due to the ever-present gas-mask), but Gladys hates him by association with Steve and Cuddles, by his attitude (very cocky and excitable), and because his "house" is, by far, the most unbelievably trashed, dilapidated, and wrecked building in the entirety of Apocalypse Lane. However, underneath his house is his real home- a modified fallout bunker where his parents, some of the last un-mutated individuals in the area, lived and gave birth to him.

That's right- he's the only non-mutant in the whole town.

Reverend Hicky puts up with him, despite Jack's refusal to believe in the Rooster, and Stinky finds his puppy-like "hey, look at what I found in the irradiated military base, go ahead and touch, the zombies didn't have it for very long anyways" kind of attitude rather annoying.

The gay ghoul (I forgot his name, I'm afraid) doesn't mind him too much, although he's noticed the rather nervous posture Jack takes when around him (the ghoul says it's homophobia, but jack says, "I've got no problem with gay people, but I don't trust anyone whose arm is falling off."), and the giant worm.... THING is cool with him, but insistent that he get around to fixing the damn house.

Nice. That's similar to a character we have called "Twitchy". He hasn't appeared yet, you'll have to wait till episode 8 to meet him and his sidekick Pumper.

He started out like you said, as a wanderer, but some ideas and script changes put him in another location outside of the Lane. This Friday will start the story arc that leads us in that direction.

Indigo_Dingo:
Reminds me of The Oblongs, in a good way.

Man, I LOVED that show. It was a shame it didn't go on longer as I feel it was very under-rated. I think they only had maybe 17 or 18 episodes. You have to give things time to find their audience. :p

-Jon
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Still needs alot more work.

Abuse at home never was so funny :)

Lol i love it when cuddles threw the boiled bird shit at gladis evLOL

Man that sock is freakin epic!

They are getting better as they go.

Hmm...The domestic violence, despite being with himself, was far too real for me to enjoy. On the other hand, it WAS one of the most realistic representations despite the medium. In any case, a well put together episode.

I felt bad for the old man being abused by his hand.. then again it's himself inflicting the physical pain. Well done of course, and no matter what people say, you're show is Original and Unique (literally).

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here