3.0 and 3GS: Apple's Two-Pronged Offensive

3.0 and 3GS: Apple's Two-Pronged Offensive

Apple is attempting to increase its growing share of the mobile games market with the latest updates to the iPhone and iPod touch.

Read Full Article

The problem with iPhone OS 3.0 is that they're pretty much just playing catch-up with more established (and in my eyes, better) mobile operating systems. Copy-and-paste functionality should have been in there from the start, along with the Bluetooth upgrades. You still don't get multitasking, despite it being a UNIX - there's something desperately wrong with a UNIX that can't multitask, and the problem lies with the iPhone's short battery life.

The 3GS may be more powerful and make up for a lot of the shortcomings of the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G, but it still falls very short of the hype. You're talking about it being a contender to the PSP; how about getting a proper interface with some buttons first, then?

I really hope there will still be good apps released that are compatible with the iPod Touch 2G...I've only had it 6 months. When something good comes out that needs the update, I may buy it but I can't buy a new iPod.
I've enjoyed using it as a games platform of sorts so far, please don't let me lose credibility with all my Apple-hating chums

Well, I'm happy to pay for the upgrade to my iPod Touch's OS.

3.0 is cool, but I want multitasking a' la Palm Pre. And in my eyes, paying for a fucking firmware upgrade is absolute bullshit. It should be free. That'd be like having to pay money just to upgrade an older version of the PSP.

fuck they started to allow microtransactions......booooooooooooooo!

Well at least I can say this...you actually listened to my complaining and gave an honest answer why you do it. I can respect that and you also did it with style.

buy teh haloz:
3.0 is cool, but I want multitasking a' la Palm Pre. And in my eyes, paying for a fucking firmware upgrade is absolute bullshit. It should be free. That'd be like having to pay money just to upgrade an older version of the PSP.

The firmware update on the iPhone is free, you only have to pay on the iTouch.

Xbowhyena:

buy teh haloz:

The firmware update on the iPhone is free, you only have to pay on the iTouch.

I know it's free on the iPhone, but for it to be a pay model for the Touch is stupid...

OP:
it's possible to charge for extra content rather than having to supply it for free in the form of updates.

Oh yay _. I'm really starting to hate DLC.

buy teh haloz:

Well that was one difference that made the video game industry stand out and for a great loyal niche consumer base. Along with a great product game updates and changes given to the consumer because the product was already sold.

Now that companies realize how much money the video game industry is worth the question to the current generation running the cost is asking how much can they get from the consumer and this is one of them. We have seen this with downloadable content and expansion lines blurring with Xbox live and PSN. Previous updates or add-ons once made free now cost money just to make more money from the consumer base.

the iphone 3G S is what the iphone should have been when it came out =/

...still miss my iphone though

::EDIT::...never really played many games on the iphone...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here