The Escapist Show: Escapist 35: XBLA Games

Escapist 35: XBLA Games

This week the Escapist takes a look at 3 classic games that are being updated and released on XBLA.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
Younnat - "Rotations"
DJ Drunken Master - "BA Bloody Crush" and "Choice Slices Fina Mix"

Watch Video

I loved palying worms with friends, but I don't know if I want to have people RAGE QUIT after I win.

Interesting. Although to be honest, I do prefer XBLA and similar are being used to support new cool stuff. Maybe thats just me.

It sounds like Worms 2 is actually going to be the game I excepted to get when I bought the first Worms on Xbox Live.

Lol.

I was looking at the fighting styles on the bio screens in Street Fighter in that video.

Chun Li's fighting style is tai-chi?

Really... It shows they have no idea what the fighting styles are about. >.<
I know tai-chi, and that's not it.

Jsnoopy:
It sounds like Worms 2 is actually going to be the game I excepted to get when I bought the first Worms on Xbox Live.

Same here. I missed all the great weapons in the first version on XBLA.
I'll probably end up paying for this version though, since my favorite weapon will be in it, the Holy Hand Grenade, like it's supposed to be.

Yeah, Worms 2 still has all these fancy weapons like the Holy Hand grenade, Banana Bomb or Super Sheep, but in the end even today thereīs nothing quite so satisfying than nudging a friend off a cliff.

On a side note, now that the Space Invaders has been revived and polished, I wonder when they are going to upgrade Pong. You canīt get much further down the Nostalgia Avenue than that.

Isn't Bit Trip Beat a good enough modernization of Pong?

Oh right, forgot about Bit Trip. Well, thatīs good enough for me.

Although, I still would like to see the name "Pong" in the box cover.
"Oh my god! Itīs Pong! Screw Fallout, I must have that."

DDKR RISES FROM THE DEAD!

The revolucion continues!

:)

GAH ZOMBIE KITTENS!

Incredible Bullshitting Man:

On a side note, now that the Space Invaders has been revived and polished, I wonder when they are going to upgrade Pong. You canīt get much further down the Nostalgia Avenue than that.

I'm pretty sure they did a few years ago. I can't remember the title but I'm pretty sure it was on PS2.

Also, all hail the return of the Holy Hand Grenade.

ShadowKirby:

Incredible Bullshitting Man:

I'm pretty sure they did a few years ago. I can't remember the title but I'm pretty sure it was on PS2.

Iīm inclined to believe you. Quick search revealed that in 1999 it was remade for the PS1, so it wouldnīt really come as a surprise, if they did another remake for the PS2. Guess they arenīt ready to let games as old as Pong fade into the mists of time.

YES!! I can throw sheep once more!

Fun Fact: They played a tiny bit of 'riders of the storm' by the doors at the beginning

That DDKR part at the end was the weirdest yet.

What the HELL, was with the DDKR bit at the end. It almost makes me want to join... NO!!!

sm0kybac0n:
What the HELL, was with the DDKR bit at the end. It almost makes me want to join... NO!!!

Watch last week's DDKR.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-show/787-Episode-34-The-Conduit

CaptainCrunch:

sm0kybac0n:

Watch last week's DDKR.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-show/787-Episode-34-The-Conduit

Sooo... we're all meant to join DanceDancePonyRevolution and DanceDanceZombieKittyRevolution too??? This is getting out of hand...

sm0kybac0n:

Sooo... we're all meant to join DanceDancePonyRevolution and DanceDanceZombieKittyRevolution too??? This is getting out of hand...

Not really. DDKR partially beheaded the OMG PONY!!! craze. Ponies, being the vengeful laser beasts that they are simply refused to go quietly into the night. Now they're back, they're pissed off, and DDKR is gonna get it.

However, Zombiecat might turn the tide of battle. We'll see. There can be only one!

sm0kybac0n:

There never was a DDPR... They don't have THE SACK to attempt a revolucion like the one that the DDKR has unleashed upon this earth. And now that the zombies have joined up with DDKR they are unstoppable.

The question still remains though... who/what dark sinister forces, lurking in the shadows, are pulling the strings? What is their master plan? What is their ultimate goal?

Only time will tell....(lighting, evil laugh here)

Ah Worms, happy memories. I preferred the original though. Stripped down, pure, simple. Nothing beats blasting a mate to the edge of a cliff with a shotgun and then sending him over the edge with the second shot, or maybe the long range bazooka shot in high winds, or the grenade plonked down in just the right place to blow that little fucker up & out of his foxhole, onto the mine and off into the sea. Good times.

My only exposure to Worms was watching a couple friends duke it out, and I think that was my first real exposure to a strategy game, and that it was DAMN COOL. I never found anyone else playing it though (I hate backward podunk towns). This almost inspires me to get an XBOX 360 and subscribe to LIVE just to play Worms, tho the Space Invaders remix actually looks fun. And then the chance to see Chun-Li and Cammy duke it out in their tights. Mmmmm

Just cuz you got more awesome responsibility Russ, you best be giving us more of your awesomeness in The Escapist Show. Paperwork is for interns anyway.

CrystalShadow:
Lol.

I was looking at the fighting styles on the bio screens in Street Fighter in that video.

Chun Li's fighting style is tai-chi?

Really... It shows they have no idea what the fighting styles are about. >.<
I know tai-chi, and that's not it.

I have a good friend who practices tai-chi, so I know quite well what it is. Most times game producers throw something in just cuz it sounds cool. There jumping to do that is on the really lazy side though. There are more forms of martial arts than you can shake a stick at, and they pick a pacifist form for a rather violent girl? Urrr

Man, I used to love worms, but they went in a bad direction. I may actually pick that one up now just to enjoy cross level lobbing of holy hand grenades and sheep once again.

Am I the only person that noticed the woman who worked on Space Invader's obvious contempt for gamers? "Gamers like flashing lights and music! To this end, we took a classic and added in ADHD mode! Happy seizures!"

Cow :p

Yeah, I kinda prefer new games, not just remakes. Hell, even Katamari Forever adds some new modes for us to play.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here