Review: Overlord 2

Pages PREV 1 2

coldfrog:

HobbesMkii:
I learned afterward that Rihanna Pratchett had written the thing, which makes a lot of sense.

Out of total curiousity, is she in any way related/married to Terry Pratchett?

She's his daughter. There was an article on the Escapist recently about her lamenting the state of writing in games. Terry Pratchett is also a huge gamer himself.

Maraveno:
hah see the dutch can make proper video games xD

dont you think they already proved that with Killzone 1 + 2?

coldfrog:

HobbesMkii:
I learned afterward that Rihanna Pratchett had written the thing, which makes a lot of sense.

Out of total curiousity, is she in any way related/married to Terry Pratchett? Not being from England I kind of miss out on all but the most obvious of writers, and I was unable to find information about his wife without feeling weird about it.

Rhianna is Terry's daughter.

And yes, she wrote the plot this time around too. It basically centres on the Glorious Empire trying to eradicate all magic creatures to usher in an age of peace and prosperity for all (nonmagical) folk, and we can't very well have that, can we?

Also, there's is still a choice system, but where Overlord it was rather badly worked out (save the sacred glade? what am i, superman?) in Overlord 2 you have actual evil choices...kill everything or enslave it, and both choices will reward you accordingly.

HobbesMkii:

coldfrog:

HobbesMkii:

Out of total curiousity, is she in any way related/married to Terry Pratchett?

She's his daughter. There was an article on the Escapist recently about her lamenting the state of writing in games. Terry Pratchett is also a huge gamer himself.

OK, now I am almost certainly buying this game now.

LOL, yeah, I'm glad this game didn't shove the 'moralist message' down our throats.

Indigo_Dingo:
I downloaded the demo for this a little whil ago, and was very intruiged. But I'm slightly confused. In the demo, both the camera an the controls worked a treat - not in any particularly amazing way, mind you, but enough that I didn't notice any problem. Is the demo just misleading, or is the Ps3 version better in that respect?

The demo is just misleading. In the demo you aren't really doing that many things that rely too much on the camera, the full game however is a different story.

Not quite right on the minion leveling, it depends on their equipment and amount of armour. The higher you upgrade your Brown Barracks the more armour and a quick trip to conquered nordberg will get you a load of fully tooled up lvl 9 minions. And that is from new borns.

Jon Etheridge:
This looks like fun actually. I may have to pick this up. I am curious though, who the hell fed the mogwai after midnight? :p

it was me SORRRY

Spudgun Man:
Not quite right on the minion leveling, it depends on their equipment and amount of armour. The higher you upgrade your Brown Barracks the more armour and a quick trip to conquered nordberg will get you a load of fully tooled up lvl 9 minions. And that is from new borns.

Well, the longer they fight for you, the more armor, etc., they're likely to acquire, but the way I said it made it sound more like XP, which isn't the case. Thanks for helping to clarify that.

I just bought this game about 20 minutes ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get to start it yet because my brother just HAS to play Harvest Moon. Anyway, the demo was fun, although the camera was a pain sometimes, and since it wasn't that far into the game it was mainly button-mashing. I'm sure when I get more kinds of minions and more magical powers, it will be MUCH more fun.

This game makes me think of a diabolical version of Pikmin though.

Im evil. And I love Susan Arendt. I may have to try this game. But you say the camera is really bad Susan? Im fairly impatient, I tend to break controllers if it is to frustrating.

gibboss28:

Indigo_Dingo:
I downloaded the demo for this a little whil ago, and was very intruiged. But I'm slightly confused. In the demo, both the camera an the controls worked a treat - not in any particularly amazing way, mind you, but enough that I didn't notice any problem. Is the demo just misleading, or is the Ps3 version better in that respect?

The demo is just misleading. In the demo you aren't really doing that many things that rely too much on the camera, the full game however is a different story.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I loved the first one seeing as how it gave no "moral choices". It was be badass, or be badass......ier.........well i cant wait to buy the new one.

Bah frkin' smug arrogent elves have it comming.

sebar nl:

Maraveno:
hah see the dutch can make proper video games xD

dont you think they already proved that with Killzone 1 + 2?

well yea and with de blob but stilll :D

The PC version of the first Overlord was good. I'll want this one I think, but I'll check out a few more reviews.

Is the sequel more challenging than the original?
The first was also a bit short. Is Overlord 2 longer or shorter?

Also, Susan is wrong about the nature of the player character

*** SPOILER ***

I like the premise for this, but i feel it would be better executed as an RTS.

xD I read in GameInformer that the developers of this game intentionally insulted all those rights groups and such...just so no one would feel left out and all xD

I'm gonna get this after I get a job and all the games I'm waiting for this Fall......>.> Too many of them DX

Thanks for the review ^^

Ahh yes, the baby seals, reminds me of a joke. Everytime I go golfing (seldom) I use this line "hmmm, all these clubs and no baby seals."

Well I technically am already in the boat to get Overlord 2 as I played 1 and the DLC but I definitely appreciated the view and look forward to resuming my subjugation of mortals. Filthy peasants...

PC version is definatly alot easier to control, I played the original overlord on PC first then on the 360 and just couldn't play it. The Sequel plays ALOT better with the 360 controller, the way they hotkeyed the magic is alot better.

Overlord 2 is basically like Overlord 1, but with more cruelty and boobies, and a more refined experiance. The quests in Overlord 2 are alot more varied as well, involving more then fetch lever and turn wheel, and the minion dungeons to get the hives are alot shorter and to the point now.

Great game, better then the first in every reguard.

I loved the original Overlord (hard-to-deal-with console controls aside) so I may have to spend some dough and pick this up. On the other hand, maybe I'll stick with the original 'till the price drops a ways.
I hope the green minions are still kickin'.

I have the PC version (via Steam) and I haven't had any major problems with the controls but every once and a while when I try to sweep my Minions the camera sorta goes off and does it's own thing. All and all, I think this a a good game.

loved the original and it looks like this 1ups it... cant wait to get it

The camera of overlord 2 annoys me slightly but it will grow on me i guess.

I rented it shortly after reading this review, and the game is indeed very fun, and quite funny as well. I haven't had much of a problem control wise, but one potentially big issue is the fact that the framerate seems to stutter, and while it isn't game breaking, it is fairly annoying.

"the cries of baby seals will haunt u in ur sleep!"
ahahaha.. that cracked me up the most.

knowing myself, i'd probly just enslave every innocent pedestrian i see and make them screw over their own kind. Yea, im lazy and sadistic like that.

I loved the demo for the 360, so much fun just pounding everything as my Minions ride in to thrash the humies ^.^ on wolves.

Another view: (this will be somewhat of a rant, so feel free to ignore, i'll even put it in spoilers)

thank you for bearing with me on that, this has been stuff that's been brewing in my mind for a while.

woem:
I never heard of Overlord but I quite like the concept. It's like playing as Dungeon Keeper's Reaper.

Yeah, I use to like that game as well. Dungeon Keeper 2 is a bad ass.

i may get it

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or