Escape to the Movies: Public Enemies

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Public Enemies

This week MovieBob takes a refreshing look at the Michael Mann film "Public Enemies"

Watch Video

Now this one, I liked. Gone is the excessive swearing and shouting. Gone is everything bad basically, except the audio quality that's still less than perfect.
And is it just me or did parts of the video get displayed incredibly short?

Oooh. Movie does really look interesting, might check it when ever it opens here.

I have to go watch this film!

Great review! I was actually hoping this movie would be good because all the scenes around the courthouse were shot in my hometown. I lived about 2 miles from the courthouse where Dillinger escaped, and Johnny Depp was there shooting for a month or so.

God bless 1982.

I'm definetley seeing this next weekend!

You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!

Nice review. I saw this film on wednesday (in a nice cool, cinema. Eat that, heatwave!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was a bit talkier than your average gangster movie but a lot shootier than the advert implies. My only critcism of it is the godawful wobbly camera stuff. I mean, people get payed to pretend they've never held one before.

Interestingly enough they use of a lot of the real places in film, for example...

Chipperz:
You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!

He mentioned it, what, twice? You get over it- ignore the Transformers parts if you don't want to hear them. He likes to make connections between different films, k? Its a solid reviewing strategy.

Ugh i got sucked into another movie bob review...

Ok no this wasnt better, even slightly, than untouchables and the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44, sadly they arent ever put on film because of their unpleasant backgrounds. Turned downt he nerd rant, which is a plus, but pandering to my "guy side" didnt help either. On a different note i really hated the look of the all digital video.

Bob, I think you did a great job on this one, you probably know a lot more about John Dillinger and that era than I do, and it's probably the case that this isn't the best summer season of films, but this Public Enemies movie could be worth a watch even though I don't generally like gangster movies.

What impresses me is that the footage shown really looks fresh and high production quality. Maybe my brother will take me to see this.

Birras:
God bless 1982!

And God bless 1933.... good times....

I was considering seeing this anyway.

That said, anyone want to sign my petition to have Michael Bay cast out of America with a rocket up his ass?

I'm definitely seeing it this weekend. Kudos, Bob!

It does look fairly promising, I'll have to go see it.

Can anyone explain what it is about gangster films, that makes them such a popular choice for film-makers?
I'm not complaining...there have been some real blinders - you only have to go back a few years to the departed for an example (though internal affairs was better than its remake) and there was even a slight mob element in dark knight but what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?

Public Enemies looks promising. I might go see it.

carnkhan4:
what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?

It's the "bad ass but still classy bad guy" type thing. 1930's gangsters were high-profile playboys, businessmen, they enjoyed fine art, built mansions, and generally acted like they were high society. Unlike most other robbers that blow it all on booze and drugs and burn out, these guys lived the high life. I mean, imagine being robbed by a guy in a suit and tie, who tips his hat to the women on the way out?

For some reason I didn't really feel as if this was the nitpicking Moviebob I know. Sure it might have been that the review was short but I feel like I got an overall view of the movie, not a breakdown on all the parts that went into the movie.

The movie was pretty good I must say, though at times it felt like it was dragging on a bit. Still I'd recommend it over anything else playing right now.

Three cheers for Johnny Depp who has finally escaped Disney's clutches and made a good movie....That wasen't a musical.

I had a good feeling about this movie as soon as I saw the trailer. I'm definitely going to have to see it now, although I still predict that it will be this year's The Dark Knight: the film that has basically everything you could want from a film, and yet gets written off by the Academy as nothing more than a summer action blockbuster.

erikvduyn:

The technical problems of Escape to the Movies still really annoy me. Like you said, the editing is very bad, and a lot of the time images/statements only get displayed on screen for about half a second before moving on; not nearly enough time to take it in. Furthermore, the sound quality is still crummy, especially when compared to the Escapist's other video series; it just sounds tinny and, well, bad. The video quality isn't great either: there were several frames which became extremely pixellated and blurry, and it was basically impossible to see what was being shown.

Chipperz:

Too bad he only mentioned it once the entire review. If you can't handle a person not liking something that you do, then get off the internet (and I guess cease all conversations because I doubt you'd be able to handle it maturely in the real world as well).

I don't know what's worse; people whining constantly that Transformers sucked, or people like you who whine about them whining.

xmetatr0nx:
than untouchables and the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44...

Minus the fact that the Thompson is a icon of the mafia, and criminal weapons during the Great Depression?
See guys this is where I get my suit ideas, soon I'll be buying a Thompson for it.

On Topic: Much better review, less swearing, and less yelling much more enjoyable to listen to.
Take notes Bob.

Anachronism:
I had a good feeling about this movie as soon as I saw the trailer. I'm definitely going to have to see it now, although I still predict that it will be this year's The Dark Knight: the film that has basically everything you could want from a film, and yet gets written off by the Academy as nothing more than a summer action blockbuster.

erikvduyn:

The technical problems of Escape to the Movies still really annoy me. Like you said, the editing is very bad, and a lot of the time images/statements only get displayed on screen for about half a second before moving on; not nearly enough time to take it in. Furthermore, the sound quality is still crummy, especially when compared to the Escapist's other video series; it just sounds tinny and, well, bad. The video quality isn't great either: there were several frames which became extremely pixellated and blurry, and it was basically impossible to see what was being shown.

Guys, we can all hear what he's saying without it ruining our ears, that is acceptable audio quality, and use the pause button, part of the humour is that the flash card jokes are only funny for the brief moments the point is being made verbally, so pause and read, there were some good ones last time.

This was an great review, engaged well with the material and sold his enthusiasm whilst remaining objective and valid in his observations, as I think he always has been. The Transformers backlash is absurd largely because he is fully entitled to his opinion, he's a critic, and while his assesment may not mirror or even vaguely resemble your experience, he can bash a popular film or praise a generally popular one, as long as he substantiates his reasons, which he did, many just didn't agree.

I saw ROTF last night and largely enjoyed it although I see what rubbed MovieBob up the wrong way about the film (Bay's US military fetish and a lack of the titular characters) although I completely disagree with his view on the original, I thought it was an excellent film.

Really good review again, I'm greatly anticipating this film...

too bad cuz I really did enjoy this year's movies...but then again, that's why I could make a terrible critic xp

good points tho, now I wanna watch this movie (well, the cast alone woulda been enough too)

I have to agree with last year being an awesome year for movies.

I'm off to see this at the weekend. Should be good.

Bob, f you do one thing apart from watch movies this summer, please please please work on those video editing skills (I am running on the assumption that is is you that makes these vids). Things got pixellated, some things weren't shown in the right place, some things are shown so briefly that finding them again then pausing in the right place to actually try and see what comment your making is nigh-on impossible.
It would make your vids more watchable

The audio and the vidio don't seem to be syncing up properly. In the intro when it was talking about this summer's movies. Wolverine popped up 1/2 way through "Star treck went limp". There were other examples where Movie Bob's talking didn't match what was on screen. I know these are nitpick that didn't realy detract from the enjoyability of watching his review. However I would apreciate if he put more effort into the comedic timing of his sight to audio gags. Perhaps I am just spoiled by ZP since Yhatzee has this down to a science.

The actual review was fantastic.

Good deal a good action flick with johnny depp so I can convince my girlfriend to go with me.

Bob, love your work, but dude, do something about your editing problems. This and the Transformers review I noticed were really sloppy in terms of syncing the images with your words. Just a friendly suggestion, you may want to keep that in mind for your future videos.

Cool review, I think I might round up some buddies and head to the cinema to see this one.

I feel the pacing of this vid was much better than the last one, as last time I had to pause a lot to catch text that flashed on the screen for less than a second, this time I could watch the whole thing in one go without having to skip back at all :)

Keep up the good work Bob <3

I was already leaning toward seeing this anyway- but this review makes me want to see it more- thanks!

And great to see the moviebob stuff continuing! Now, next I'd love to see "game overthinker" taken up by escapist :P

erikvduyn:

Yeah, it looked like the video lagged and then caught itself back up by speeding up certain parts.

Anyway, looks like a great movie. Probably gonna see it today.

Hmm. I actually enjoyed the 2006 'Vice film.

Chipperz:

Honestly....HES A FREAKING CRITIC!! what do you expect? Do you want him to talk great about the shitty movies he didn't like? Go write your own fucking review.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here