Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Make fun of Doctor Who will you *shakes fist*
Apart from that a good review paticularly The Retard Roundup joke as it sounds like a politically incorrect gameshow.

DANG... hope for the new call of juarez .....Oh well, this one is nice too, but i'd like to see a special on that one where he wears a cowboy hat...

Well this is a fucking load of bullshit.

Practically every single thing he said is a lie, I never have a problem following the combat, my AI partners may get taken down but they're not that stupid and they have revived themselves plenty of times, they have captured ghosts without my help, not every enemy is defeated by trapping them, the gameplay works well overall, the story is good, I enjoy the characters, the voice acting is well done, I could go on and on, but you know what. I don't care anymore. I seriously don't fucking care.

I've had a love hate relationship with Zero Punctuation, Yahtzee says one of two things I can agree with on a game and then he just outright lies about the gameplay in general because he has to come up with idiotic reasons why it sucks. Most of the time it was all down to his personal taste at times, here he's just outright fucking lying to my face.

Its incredibly jarring, he says good things about Psychonauts, then a review later BioShock is bashed. I didn't laugh a second during the latter review and this review was also painfully not funny because none of that shit was true. I'm not going to defend the game, it doesn't need that. I had fun with the game and he didn't, fine, but don't insult my fucking intelligence by outright lying to me about the gameplay!

Seriously fuck you Yahtzee. If you're going to complain make legitimate complaints, don't make shit up.

well i thought that this might actually be a decent game based on a better movie that isnt just a smash em up like x-mem origins or transformers or hulk:ud which were not that bad so how did they do it right?

also fortunatley this is all compensated by the comat being extremely natural and intuiti-HA ASIF!

Unreasonably lot of blowjobs in this video...

when yahtzee mentioned it being like sucking off a pig it was a similie, but the way what you put read seems like you know what sucking off a pig is like

make a review of Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood

bodyklok:

The_root_of_all_evil:

But there will be Moffat soon.

I'm sorry, but Who is 'Moffat'? (Yes, that was a pun...)

No, Who is Smith. Moffat is Third Base. ;)

I think they should try to make the game at least a little different than the movie. Games that are based off of movies and follow them closely tend to be boring. Actually, movie games tend to be boring anyway. If they wanted to make a great game they should have tried to be at least a little inventive, not just go around to the same places that the characters went in the movie. Excellent review Yahtzee.

10 hours?

Hm. I finished the game in something like 4-5 hours.

Really quite short.

Fun while it lasts though.

Meh. I never had any of the problems he mentioned about the gameplay/characters/story.
I never take his reviews seriously anyways, it's just entertainment, but most of the time he picks one or two actual problems and expands on them, not just rant about problems that aren't ones.
Didn't like this one too much, although I was looking forward to it.

Having a difference of opinion does not make something a lie. Perhaps your satisfied with the game as it is, and perhaps, like Yahtzee and a few others who have played it seem to be saying, you were being lead on by the hype to believe it would be something a bit better.

But have fun overreacting because someone else doesn't like the game you like. Honestly.

As to the actual review, I liked it, quite a few funny images going on, more so than last week but then last week was the Sims and the poor fella sounded a bit hoarse. Glad to hear you're a bit better in the vocal department Yahtzee.

Yahtzee's reviews continue to be funny, but less and less insightful.

I remember him reviewing a game that I happened to be playing and his review honestly ruined the game for me. I mean this in a good way. His insights were... insightful, and cut to the heart of the game's faults. I returned the game immediately.

I'm playing Ghostbusters now and his detractions: fan service, wonky AI, revival, lack of humor, chaotic and special effects filled fights just aren't that big of a deal.

Fan service: I'm seeing things and locations from the first movie... so what? The story doesn't follow the movie, so it's fresh enough for me not to care that I'm catching Slimer.

Wonky AI and partner revival: Some way to coordinate attacks would have been nice, but on the plus side the team gives me verbal warnings "On your left!". They also appear to spend their time trying to catch ghosts as opposed to farting around trying to walk into obstacles. Yup, they die sometimes and I have to revive them, then sometimes they revive me. Ghost catching is a dangerous job... people are going to get hurt. What's the alternative? Make my teammates omnipotent, or worse, they're down for the duration of the battle!?

Chaotic lighting and effects: Me and four others are spraying positronic particles from a backpack mounted nuclear reactor. I'm thinking a chaotic light show is inevitable. Maybe catching ghosts with nuclear weapons is a chaotic experience.

Lack of humor: Well, I just don't agree with him on this. It's the same campy humor from the original (e.g. "Is everybody ok with 'officially' stuck in an elevator?") I'm not dying laughing like when I saw Ali G interview Tom Brokaw, but it was still funny.

Tangent: I know this is really old, but Yahtzee failed to mention in his Prince of Persia review that the whole game is quick time events. Try this: once you get into a running "sequence" let go of the left stick and just mash buttons... it's QTE without the visual prompts.

Still a funny guy, but edge seems to be more important than insight lately.

When Yahtzee makes fun of a game you love, you can get a little pissed. But when he rips a game you had high hopes for, and were ultimately let down by, it's almost therapeutic.

Any hopes for getting Red Faction: Guerilla? I know it's another sandbox game, but I'd still be curious what he thinks what with all the destruction.

Yahtzee ain't afraid of no ghosts, it seems.

I really wanted to like this game, but I ended up dropping it pretty early on, mainly due to the schizophrenic difficulty curve. I got up to the Stay Puft man, until his gargoyles started knocking us all down in a couple of hits, my team-mates proved gigantic idiots and all that after getting gangbanged by the spider-thingies in the hotel just a little earlier, while up to that point the game was so easy all I had to do was shoot at the walls and the others would catch the ghosts for me.

Easily the most disappointing game I've played since... well, a long time ago.

The review seemed to be more or less in line with most reviews out there; rare.

Well had to wait two hours but it was worth it even if I wasn't laughing as much as I was at the e3 vid.

Ha ha ha! Another funny video my good man, keep up the good work.

The page won't work for me (just getting a blank white page)... anybody else getting this?

EDIT: Never mind, it's working now.

The only good Ghostbusters game was made for the Commodore 64 in the mid 1980s, and even that was garbage.

iamq:
Knew you would complain about the AI. Although is there any game except Left 4 Dead where you cannot complain about the AI?

wait isnt the ai always jumping infront of your bullets in left 4 dead... there's one

As always this is an awful review. im abit confused because you seem intelegent and so surely you dont think these are real reviews. Is the purpose of your videos just to entertain because if so fair anough but i hope you realise your view on games is awful and well you dont really review them. im certain no one actually said to himself "hmm i feel like buying [insert game here], let me go to yhatzee and see his verdict. go watch some ign reviews man. thats what a real review is. but than again as i said these videos are probably for entertainment only.

I did actually think Yahtzee would like the game, but I think I might have forgotten the fact that movie tie-in games are usually fairly awful, except Iron Man (which I really liked) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, because I haven't seen the film or played the game yet. Other than that, great review, kept me laughing the whole way through.

@Yahtzee: I know making suggestions about your review style is like writing a novel for your dog, but while your work is as much a paradigm of quality as it always is and your tried-and-true formula has been imitated by every little piss-stain with a webcam and a Youtube account, there's been very little variation on the theme.

Maybe that's a good thing since people don't usually respond well to change (see: your music intro), but I for one am starting to find your work a little dull.

I'm just one random fart on the septic river of the internet, yeah, but if you ever start to feel bored of your formula maybe this post will pop into your mind and you'll agree that the answer is to try something new.

PS: You really are the best video game reviewer on the net.

So movie writers are to videogame designers as sausage makers are to those who perform pig fellatio...interesting.

a sausage maker sucking off a pig

that line alone makes this video epic win

He was right about the revisiting old sites and old ghosts. While Slimer was my personal favorite ghost, I see no need as to why he must be captured AGAIN. They could have just left him sitting in Ghostbusters headquarters.

The AI are actually stupid in the game. They have no sense of "Oh gee, I shouldn't get near that giant votex looking ghost", but they do anyways and leave me to pick their sorry asses up every two seconds.
I picked up the characters up 12 times in one boss fight, 12! (I counted because I was getting upset at me dying and the AI being idiots.)

I agree on most points. I played the game because I enjoyed ghostbusters when I was younger. The game's OK. Most people will play it to enjoy the good ol' days I guess.

((guffaws)) I hate retarded AI. especially if I have to rely on it as an Allie. That alone is a reason for me to skip this game.

Zelrond:
As always this is an awful review. im abit confused because you seem intelegent and so surely you dont think these are real reviews. Is the purpose of your videos just to entertain because if so fair anough but i hope you realise your view on games is awful and well you dont really review them. im certain no one actually said to himself "hmm i feel like buying [insert game here], let me go to yhatzee and see his verdict. go watch some ign reviews man. thats what a real review is. but than again as i said these videos are probably for entertainment only.

wow. you misspelled intelligent. that's all I need to say really.

Awww...this review wasn't as funny. The movie-as-videogame rant was rather predictable. Yeah, heard it all before...

Good review, while the formula for these reviews is maybe getting a bit old its still entertaining.

For the record, Harold Ramis as much as said in an interview that he and Ackroyd did not write the game. They were given a script and asked to "punch it up." He also said there was no way they could be paid enough to give it the attention it deserved but that they gave it a once over. The publishers then ran with the fact that a couple of the jokes in the game were actually written by once talented people.

Triffid:

VanityGirl:
He was right about the revisiting old sites and old ghosts. While Slimer was my personal favorite ghost, I see no need as to why he must be captured AGAIN. They could have just left him sitting in Ghostbusters headquarters.

The AI are actually stupid in the game. They have no sense of "Oh gee, I shouldn't get near that giant votex looking ghost", but they do anyways and leave me to pick their sorry asses up every two seconds.
I picked up the characters up 12 times in one boss fight, 12! (I counted because I was getting upset at me dying and the AI being idiots.)

I agree on most points. I played the game because I enjoyed ghostbusters when I was younger. The game's OK. Most people will play it to enjoy the good ol' days I guess.

Wow...how bitter are you? Everyone loves the Ghostbusters.

Man... If you ever get haunted, I wouldn't even bother picking up the phone, you bitter fuck

Actually I loved the movies so, SUCK IT.
And if you played on Professional (as I did) you would see.
I didn't like the game that much. I loved the movies, if I hated the movies why would i play the game?
Think before you speak. ;) It helps.

1:30 ...I...will kill you (requires a Heero Yuy-ish voice to work properly)
:D

*gasp* another negative review? you dont say?

Meh I dunno, the game didn't seem that bad in the little I played of it the other day, the lines were cheesy, but the good kind of cheesy that makes you laugh, not the kind that makes you feel embarrassed. The combat makes sense, and they added different firing modes and ways of managing enemies, you can scan ghosts and use that tracker device all adding to the feel of the movie. The scenes though linked to the movies were fun, and really bring you back to when Ghostbusters was king, but whatever I say play it for yourself potential buyers. Of course I never take your reviews seriously, just like you never read these posts, but its still funny and that's all I really care about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here