Review: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Lightbunny:

The super awesome theme music that plays during his special attack? THAT is intense.

I laughed so hard when the theme music started playing. I just wasn't expecting it, though I suppose - in retrospect - it's rather obvious if you consider Bang Shishigami's nature.

Truly a great game, and even I can play it without feeling like a cheap attack spammer since its so easy to grasp. I was a huge spammer with Seung Mina in SC4. And the soundtrack that comes with the limited edition (WHICH IS THE STANDARD EDITION PRICE) is great.

RollForInitiative:

Lightbunny:

The super awesome theme music that plays during his special attack? THAT is intense.

I laughed so hard when the theme music started playing. I just wasn't expecting it, though I suppose - in retrospect - it's rather obvious if you consider Bang Shishigami's nature.

You mean as a sendup of super hotblooded anime/tokusatsu heroes?

CantFaketheFunk:
You mean as a sendup of super hotblooded anime/tokusatsu heroes?

Bingo. Having a personal theme song is so very, very LIKE HIM that I should have seen it coming a mile off. He reminds me of Guy Daigoji in all the right ways.

Wizzie:
Going to go play Guilty gear now...
*sighs*

Same ... well guilty gear is still awesome but MAN I HATE that I don't own any consoles... "starts up Guilty gear x2".

Got this game a few days after it came out. I gotta say, I think it's the best fighter on the 360. Learning combos is hell though. I currently main with Noel and v-13 (yes, I've been called cheap for it) but I'm gonna try Bang since he just oozes awesome.

Does anyone know if this game is on any other console besides the 360?

hellheart:

It was released for the PS3 as well.

Arisato-kun:
Got this game a few days after it came out. I gotta say, I think it's the best fighter on the 360. Learning combos is hell though. I currently main with Noel and v-13 (yes, I've been called cheap for it) but I'm gonna try Bang since he just oozes awesome.

I will also call you cheap for using V-13, if only because it's so blatantly obvious that she's a cheap character the moment you play her. ;) You are redeemed by your desire to learn the awesome of Bang however.

hellheart:

Both PS3 and 360. :)

Edit: D'oh! Ninja'd. *shakes fist*

CantFaketheFunk:

hellheart:

Your reflexes better be faster than your posting skills or I'm going to take you to task in a BlazBlue match Funk!

Edit: Not really. I'm just running my mouth for the sake of trash-talking (trash-typing?)

CantFaketheFunk:

hellheart:

Rats, hoping it would be on Wii or DS or soemthing... Oh well, thanks for replying anyway guys

That looks like it would put Soul Calibar to shame...

RollForInitiative:

CantFaketheFunk:

hellheart:

Your reflexes better be faster than your posting skills or I'm going to take you to task in a BlazBlue match Funk!

Edit: Not really. I'm just running my mouth for the sake of trash-talking (trash-typing?)

Hey now. I came in second in the Staff SF4 Throwdown! Bring it, man. Bring it.

CantFaketheFunk:

Hey now. I came in second in the Staff SF4 Throwdown! Bring it, man. Bring it.

Second place is the first loser, right? Hey, if I'm going to get destroyed I'm going to make sure it's with good reason! ;)

Besides, didn't I already add my C.Y.A. statement to my above post already?

Hey, guys? It's Soul Calibur. Cali.B.U.R. Not Calibar, or Caliber. Or Calibre. Calibur.

That said, this game looks pretty decent.

Well I do like fighting games... but not anime. Well there are some anime I DO like although they're more cyber and steampunk as opposed to flamboyant and camp... I'll play the demo first if the gameplay is as strong as they say.

is Bang really awesomer than Chipp? i mean, Bang yells out every move he does, but Chipp yells random words in Japanese. Bang has a cooler weapon, but Chipp can explode.

And most importantly, in one ending, Chipp dedicates himself to becoming President. can Bang really compete with AMERICA'S FIRST NINJA PRESIDENT? i'm sorry, but i'll believe it when i see it.

Massive fan of Guilty Gear so il probably pick this up if it comes uk side, ah hell even if it dosent ill import it yay for ps3 no region locking I guess bout time the overpriced blueray got used.

RollForInitiative:

Arisato-kun:

I will also call you cheap for using V-13, if only because it's so blatantly obvious that she's a cheap character the moment you play her. ;) You are redeemed by your desire to learn the awesome of Bang however.

I do love my V-13 but I use her very rarely. Only when people piss me off.:) Other than that I stick to Noel and have gotten pretty decent with Jin.

Bang is indeed awesome. Especially when you use Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan. I just need to figure out some combos so he'll be useful online.

Looks very like DarkStalkers. Even the brown hooded one resembles Hsien Ko.

Hakumen is my favorite. He plays much more strategically than most of the others, and he's more about timing than anything else.

I also enjoy playing V-13, Jin, Bang, Taokaka, and Litchi

For the love of all that is (un)holy, pronounce it correctly! If they wanted you to call it "Blaze-Blue", they would have made the name "Blaze-Blue", but is it? IS IT?!

Seriously, though, once we get more copies of the limited edition of BlazBlue in, I'm going to get my friend to hold me a copy of it. I've been waiting for it forever and, being such the massive Guilty Gear fan that I am, want everything that comes with it. You know you're a fan of Sammy's / Arc System Works' games when you trade in your copy of Guilty Gear Accent Core just to get Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus... like I did some days ago. And I never looked back. Kliff and Justice are too good to pass up.

Good review, I definitely want to try this game out, but man, Funk, you sound so absolutely bored in the video. Where's the enthusiasm?! :p

I'm - John - Funk. Please - Insert - Girder.

j/k

Wow... I still think the Guilty Gear, Samurai Showdown and Last Blade games are the prime example of fighting games in general. BlazBlue definately looks as if I could add it to that list. Got to get this as soon as I can!

I'd love to give this game a try. That guy in blue with the katana looks awesome.
All right, I just think he's cool 'cause he seems to be using iaido, and I think that's awesome.

I've never bought a fighting game in my entire life and never watch anime but despite that I recently ordered a copy of BlazBlue. The insane 2D graphics are just too amazing to pass up on and the apparently finely tuned combination of initial accessibility and bewildering complexity sounds very promising...

Gregorius:
For the love of all that is (un)holy, pronounce it correctly! If they wanted you to call it "Blaze-Blue", they would have made the name "Blaze-Blue", but is it? IS IT?!

Seriously, though, once we get more copies of the limited edition of BlazBlue in, I'm going to get my friend to hold me a copy of it. I've been waiting for it forever and, being such the massive Guilty Gear fan that I am, want everything that comes with it. You know you're a fan of Sammy's / Arc System Works' games when you trade in your copy of Guilty Gear Accent Core just to get Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus... like I did some days ago. And I never looked back. Kliff and Justice are too good to pass up.

I'm just going by how the lady pronounces it in the special bonus video. And the japanese pronunciation works out to something like "Bray Brue," actually. Go figure.

Maur DL:
Good review, I definitely want to try this game out, but man, Funk, you sound so absolutely bored in the video. Where's the enthusiasm?! :p

I'm - John - Funk. Please - Insert - Girder.

j/k

When I speak enthusiastically, I speak fast. I'd rather you all be able to understand what I'm saying :P

Gregorius:

Now, it's a bit hard to tell if you're being ironic but, just for the sake of clarity, the name of the game is pronounced "Blaze-Blue"; the game's title being just the most obvious of the game's many (hopefully intentional) Engrish-style misspellings.

For those who want independent verification of the pronounciation, check out 1UP.COM's written review (first sentence), Gametrailer's video review or even Giant Bomb's otherwise comically clueless Quick Look.

CantFaketheFunk:

When I speak enthusiastically, I speak fast. I'd rather you all be able to understand what I'm saying :P

People understand Yahtzee, though. Do you mean you'd be speaking faster than him?

Woe Is You:

CantFaketheFunk:

People understand Yahtzee, though. Do you mean you'd be speaking faster than him?

Yahtzee has mastered the art of speaking quickly *and* clearly. I have not.

i played the game on both 360 and ps3 the game plays great on both consoles and the charas are unique. though i still need to buy the game myself its fun to play i really like the extra content that comes with going though the stroy mode for each character

I love this game. Me and a friend were both hyped about SF4, but once we got it and that initial hype wore off, we never really played it. Sure we had a match here or there, but we ended up playing CoD or something else in the end.

Then I bought this game, and we can't stop playing it. Everything about the game just oozes originality and Ishiwatari's signature wild flair. If people don't think this game isn't comical, just play through it. There is also "Teach Me Ms. Lichi" segments, that are full of comedy (The one with Tager is comedic gold). The story isn't all that bad, its way above any other fighter. Spoiler below for those interested in the story.

As for the online play, I haven't seen anything smoother, even SF 4 has lagged on me, but this game runs amazing. Another thing I like is the interactions between characters. The taunts and dialogue in each fight is based completely on the character you are fighting. And in some cases, there is a unique scene that plays out just before the fight.
Jin and Ragna fly into the screen already at each others throats before the announcer even talks. And Jin and Noel will recite the NOL Oath (not sure what else to call it) before getting into fighting positions.

That review went out with a bang :D.

I got this game. And I have blisters on my D-pad thumb. It's that awesome.

I played Street Fighter 4, and it has NOTHING on Blazblue. Absolutely nothing.

cursedseishi:
I love this game. Me and a friend were both hyped about SF4, but once we got it and that initial hype wore off, we never really played it. Sure we had a match here or there, but we ended up playing CoD or something else in the end.

Then I bought this game, and we can't stop playing it. Everything about the game just oozes originality and Ishiwatari's signature wild flair. If people don't think this game isn't comical, just play through it. There is also "Teach Me Ms. Lichi" segments, that are full of comedy (The one with Tager is comedic gold). The story isn't all that bad, its way above any other fighter. Spoiler below for those interested in the story.

As for the online play, I haven't seen anything smoother, even SF 4 has lagged on me, but this game runs amazing. Another thing I like is the interactions between characters. The taunts and dialogue in each fight is based completely on the character you are fighting. And in some cases, there is a unique scene that plays out just before the fight.
Jin and Ragna fly into the screen already at each others throats before the announcer even talks. And Jin and Noel will recite the NOL Oath (not sure what else to call it) before getting into fighting positions.

You're forgetting one thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or