Review: Worms 2: Armageddon

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Worms 2: Armageddon

Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the worms of war!

Read Full Article

Hmm..

I've heard alot of good stuff about this game, I'm even more interested now. Should probably buy it soon.

Honestly, I think this game is the best thing to happen to XBLA since Castle Crashers :)

I'm getting it today!

Oh god..
I remember this game. I loved it so.

It was the first PC game I'd ever played, I think.

Too bad it won't run anymore...

EDIT: Wow, it looks a lot different on Xbox.
To be expected, I suppose.

I haven't tried this version yet, but I've been playing worms since Worms first came out on PC.
I tried the first one they released on XBLA, and found the controls (Especially the ninja rope) were really lacking.

Susan, is the ninja rope still stunted in this one?
Or did they return it to it's former 'get-across'the-map-and-drop-TNT-on-someone-and-get-back-before-it-explodes' glory?

Yay non 3d worms again

Thanks for covering this one! I loved the original but worry when developers over-tweak what isn't broken. It looks like they didn't try to make the worms too cute and they remembered what we came for: hilarious mayhem. I'm glad you had some video of it to show off some of the new graphics and weapons. Definitely looks like fun, will have to put it on my wish list! ^-^

This is probably the best hot-seat Multiplayergame game ever created; Ah the memories; and YAY for concrete donkey and super-sheep;

Ahhh...just how I remember it...

I wonder if they still have 'welsh' as an option for speech?

MaxTheReaper:
Oh god..

That's because they are using Worms 3D (PC game) models.

If it's Armageddon, but without the classic graphics and just new weapons... I guess it can be a hell lot of fun, since it's 2D and not another shitty 3D Worms.

I remember spending whole days, playing Worms with my friend (a girl xd) killing each other's soldiers.

I swear when I read the title I thought it said "Women 2: Armageddon." "Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the women of war!"

Please don't think poorly of me, I just woke up. ;_;

I got this to play with my friend at work. I love how you can burn the map down with fire. And, we found out you can bring the dead worms back to life with the lightning strike.

Baby Tea:
I haven't tried this version yet, but I've been playing worms since Worms first came out on PC.
I tried the first one they released on XBLA, and found the controls (Especially the ninja rope) were really lacking.

Susan, is the ninja rope still stunted in this one?
Or did they return it to it's former 'get-across'the-map-and-drop-TNT-on-someone-and-get-back-before-it-explodes' glory?

Oh, you can Tarzan your way across the board, noooo problem. It's the getting away I suck at. :p

carnkhan4:

Unfortunately they don't, which is strange since they have Irish, 2 flavours of Scottish and 4 different English dialects (Cockney, Yorkshire, Birmingham and Liverpool), plus assorted themed English voices.

Some Welsh, West Country and Lancashire dialects certainly wouldn't go amiss.

bwahahahaha
Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the worms of war!
that was the best part of this review!

i loved worms armageddon, but i dont think ill buy this...

simple really, i like the old one so much im still playing it, i played it on tuesday actually, this one hasnt changed enough to make me want to buy it

simple and yet adictive...a great game

That last thing there looked pretty broken, albeit it was hitting both teams. Still a meteor strike seems a little... well... actually you know what, I take it back. Its perfectly reasonable.

Ive played every single worms game since i was about 6. This so far has been the best. The customisation and great new weaponry from the last 3d version mixed with the addictive simple yet tactical gameplay of the old 2d versions.

Angron:
i loved worms armageddon, but i dont think ill buy this...

simple really, i like the old one so much im still playing it, i played it on tuesday actually, this one hasnt changed enough to make me want to buy it

Well, it does have online play, and the PC version doesn't work for most OS's anymore, so if you want to play against other people besides your close friends (who i'm guessing you have all played against before) then it's worth your money.

Jamash:

carnkhan4:

Unfortunately they don't, which is strange since they have Irish, 2 flavours of Scottish and 4 different English dialects (Cockney, Yorkshire, Birmingham and Liverpool), plus assorted themed English voices.

Some Welsh, West Country and Lancashire dialects certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Awww, Welsh was one of my favorite speech patterns, too bad it didn't make the cut. Well, at least the old customization options are still intact. It makes for easier character ID, so anything that means I engage in slightly less friendly fire is good in my book.

Worms = god of party games.

Thank god its not 3d anymore, It worked perfectly in two dimensions. You gotta love the soulman voice. 'youss a traitor man'

DogofRaw:
Worms = god of party games.

Thank god its not 3d anymore, It worked perfectly in two dimensions. You gotta love the soulman voice. 'youss a traitor man'

They have got to get rid of that voice; I swear I will scream into the headset if I hear a worm say " It's a beautiful thing." one more time.

Worms is definetly a game I look back on very fondly, it's just so much fun blowing the other worms to peices. This is definetly something I would pick up.

I swear there were more than six landscape styles in the original Worms 2? I would also appreciate less randomly-generated levels as well, as some of the 'proper' levels are actually quite interesting - there are only six. Me and my friend have had fun on the snow level, and the laboratory is an intricate delight.

Also, no level editor? Hammering the randomise button to get something that looks interesting to play on isn't too bad a compromise, yet there is no outlet for any level-related creativity, which is a shame.

However, the musical score is fantastic (as always), and the sound effects have received a revamp - the boring, low quality samples have been replaced, and now the weapons all sound a lot more satisfying to use - especially the bazooka, which now sounds really quite convincing.

I only have a few more gripes - some of the voice bank samples seem to be of low quality (compare the two smokin' barrels bank to the default one), and there are still occasional AI retardations.

They are still accident prone, especially with a bazooka or with grenades (which is brilliant and hilarious), but they still try to snipe you off the screen with a shotgun - through several inches of scenery. Also, another shotgun related gripe - it has the shortest bloody line of sight ever. So how the fuck does the AI snipe you with marksman accuracy when you aren't even bloody visible on the screen?

All these gameplay problems were persistent in the original Worms 2, which is good really, as it shows the extent of the faithfulness this remake has with the original.

Looks like a scream.

I played Worms a lot on PC, and this makes me wish I had an Xbox.

Is there music?

*Starts looking for his worms 2 disc*

Ah nostalgia, great review :)

How many summer days did I spend playing Worms with my friends on the Dreamcast? I have no idea. Many perfectly good days.

Susan, my only question is this: is the granny bomb still around?

Super-worthy purchase (although this is coming from a guy who put about 100 hours into Worms XBLA, so...). This is one of the only games to hold my girlfriend's interest for more than a few days. Even Peggle has failed!

Basically she played enough to get pretty good and now she likes introducing Worms to her non-gamer friends so she can whoop their asses mercilessly. She also whoops my ass half the time.

Since I could never get Armageddon to run on Win XP, this is a release I've been anticipating for a long time. There is, however, a bit of an overwhelming factor: while the first Worms had a fairly modest arsenal, the sheer number of available weapon options for wormayhem can be initially off-putting for beginners. Still, the new map types, new customization options, and new multiplayer game types are great for long-term replayability. I probably would've paid 1200 points if asked.

Good to see they've gone back to the classic 2D Worms. The moment the franchise went 3D was the moment it started to suck.

Possibly one of the most memorable, and greatest, games of my childhood. I wish I had that game...

MaxTheReaper:
Oh god..

^^^This.

I only wish this version was for PC as well.

I wish I had an Xbox right now, just for Worms. Although I've learned from Gunbound that calculating shot arcs is something I am not very good at, so I would more than likely blow myself to bits if I played.

Undead Dragon King:
How many summer days did I spend playing Worms with my friends on the Dreamcast? I have no idea. Many perfectly good days.

Susan, my only question is this: is the granny bomb still around?

Hmmm, I don't think so. Or if it is, I haven't come across it yet.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here