Review: Red Faction: Guerilla

Review: Red Faction: Guerilla

Who knew that a sledgehammer is actually a decent substitute for superpowers?

Read Full Article

Dear God this game was fun. You've never lived until you charged through an enemy base with a Mecha, smashing everything as the debris fills the screen, and the giddy feeling inside of you climaxes with the destruction of 50-Foot structures right on top of you.

Sounds good, that little italicized final note made my day though.

The hammer is so much fun in this game. Anyways, nice review, I loved your ending.

I totally agree with the review. I'd like to add that I found the game very cinematic (in a good way). It's hard to describe, but whenever I raided an EDF base, it always seemed as if everything just as it would in an action film. The geoforce engine does a lot to immerse you, as it removes one of the biggest differences between combat in reality and in most games.

I didn't find the AI that stupid, the exception being the guerillas who join in any fight you're part of. The EDF seem to be fairly sensible, setting up perimiters to try and surround you, and use other logical tactics, such as taking cover and manning turrets in otherwise abandonded vehicles. The friendly guerillas for specific missions aren't too bad as well, as they will get in a vehicle with you and man the turrets and will do a reasonable job at staying alive. However, the regular guerillas will frequently dive into the path of your vehicle and will follow you as closely as possible without getting in the vehicle with you. This often means you have to grind over their bodies to escape, making you feel like a bastard for being forced to leave them behind.

Is there a co-op campaign ala Saints Row 2 in this game? Looks awesome.

Ghostwise:

There is no Co-op or any form of split screen. The only multiplayer is online or a pass the controler style mode where you try to destroy more than everyone else.

Considering how much I liked Saints Row 2, I foresee myself picking this up. It's already on my rental list; ever since No more Heroes, I always rent before buying.

The only thing I thought SR2 had missing was giant mechs and the ability to destroy buildings.

NOTHING- in my opinion can beat red faction geurilla, favorite gun- rail driver- so epic

I did have a mini essay written up here about how amazing I think this game is, but it got long and kinda went nowhere, so in short, my opinion is that this game is one of the best I've got (after Crackdown), and nothing beats the sledgehammer. Unless... is there a gun capable of shooting holes right through buildings that I have yet to find? I'm not too far yet... still, I think my trusty hammer will never be out of my hands for long.

Guess I could've just said I completely agree with the article... ah well

Please say that gun exists...

Flukey:
I did have a mini essay written up here about how amazing I think this game is, but it got long and kinda went nowhere, so in short, my opinion is that this game is one of the best I've got (after Crackdown), and nothing beats the sledgehammer. Unless... is there a gun capable of shooting holes right through buildings that I have yet to find? I'm not too far yet... still, I think my trusty hammer will never be out of my hands for long.

Guess I could've just said I completely agree with the article... ah well

Please say that gun exists...

Yes - that gun exists! It's called a nano rifle and it disintigrates whatever you shoot it at - even people!
I have to say I loved this game and was so hooked on it I went a whole 13 hours playing it without doing anything else when I first got the game!

What I like about this review is that it comments on that elusive fun factor. So many other reviews speak of how deep the gameplay or whatever is blah blah blah and then when I get it that is all true but it is boring and a chore to play. I'm looking at you InFamous.

That, and I wish more reviews would comment on the controls (like many did with Overlord 2 and Killzone 2). There are times when unmodifiable controls break the game and I can't play it more than a few minutes. (Killzone 2 was good and I adapted to and learned to like its default controls once I got the patch. Overlord 2 I'm watching Let's Play).

This game is incredible. The single player campaign lasted me only a few days but that's just because I played so much. My one regret is that you only really get to tear shit up in a heavy walker once.

Love the review, excellent style.

I'm happy there are positive reviews on the escapist :D

After reading the post about nearly everyone on this website hating everything and not caring if everyone in the world died I was felling a little depressed.

So cheers for brightening up my day! Also I own Red Faction and completely agree with you.

Yeah, it's awesome. I just found the destruction physics a bit annoying at times when it wouldn't make a building collapse until I've broken EVERY bit that connects the upper half to the lower half, no matter how thin the remaining bits were. That ended up being a bit tedious.

How can you review a game that comes out in august?

dochmbi:
How can you review a game that comes out in august?

By living where it has already been released, I guess.

Actually, there are more than one gun to help with building demolition. The Nano Rifle disintegrates walls, but the Rail Gun punches right thru them. When you get to Eos, they will be a dime a dozen as it's the EDF's preferred weapon there. When they have it, you will find that no cover you take is save as they will use to to blow the walls out from in front of you with shrapnel flying all over the place. The enemy AI is very very clever.
If you made it to the Badlands you should have seen it by now, but in turret form. Ya, those cannons that shoot electric doom come in easy, portable form.

So if you want to pound your enemies to submission from afar, then the Rail gun is the one for you. Though to be honest, it's not that good against humans or vehicles, I find. Especially when compared to the Nano Rifle

I'm an assault rifle enthusiast myself. Best mid range damage with good accuracy. My winning weapon combo is charges ( of course ), assault and nano.

And don't forget cover. Left bumper when by a wall with a shooty equiped ( pistol, shotgun, whatever )though as I said, the AI gets smart and starts blowing your cover away.

Iam shocked hdr/bloom became the thing most noticeable in "nextgen" games and not this wonderful technology known as geomod. I played the first and its a gem I suggest you play it if you like this game. Any game where you can blow a hole around that annoying door with a key on the other side of the map Ill eagerly play and beg for more. Iam probably looking forward to this more then any of the gta sequels and certainly in the top 5 of my most anticipated games of the past 10years. I hope this game gets the attention it deserves this time and the entire gaming community adopts geomod.

This is one of those games you can just mindlessly play for hours. I love it.

To illustrate how fun this game is:
Last night, around midnight, I was going to play just a bit. My girlfriend was drawing on her tablet, so I wanted to stay up a bit longer. I have beaten the game, which means I have unlocked every cheat. So I fired it up, turned on some cheats, and just had a blast.

I was going to take down the biggest bridge in the game with a light walker, but instead used the bridge as a fort of sorts. I destroyed each side of it, so that no soldiers could reach me in the middle. This worked until a fighter-plane-thingy crashed into it after I shot of one of its wings. The bridge was toast not long after. Then I just found a building in Eos, made some trouble, and tried to keep the building. Eventually I had to leave my fifth building, since all of them got torn up. I looked at the clock, and it was frikkin' three o'clock. I had been horsing around for three hours, not doing anything special. And it felt like half an hour.

This game is brilliant.

*nerd moment* The Sledge Hammer goes through walls because it has a mass driver system that increases it's relative mass at the end point of the swing arc.

Thats right, it's a hightech super sledgehammer.

The review hit it spot on, it is an amazingly fun game.

Game is good for solo stuff. But its no way near worth 40 bucks. So I asked for my money back, and got this cold hearted answer. I know Gamestop won't offer me a refund. Was worth a try. I won't by from them again.

I don't suggest you purchase RFG. The game doesn't have Multiplayer in the traditional sense. Its worth 19.99, not what they charge. Oh well, had to learn hard way. The port to PC is just awful too. Heads up.

Still worth more than buying Turbine's expansion to LotRO, imho. Man have MMO's undergone a huge change to the worse in last couple years.

Knutor

Response :

Thank you, Brad, for contacting THQ Customer Support.

THQ does not have the ability to provide refunds; only the retailer can do so. The problem may be with your online connection, especially if you are behind a router. If so, please try bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem. Check your game's ReadMe file for further online connection info.

Best regards,

Jodie G
THQ Customer Support

Ghostwise:

No sadly and that could have made the game so much beter... (Also it has no flying vehicles... sad face)

http://www.youtube.com/user/patriotdow

Patriotdow's video of RFG's multiplayer matchmaker says it all. Multiplay in RFG is a crapshingle. Can't pick map, and some in the team bagman(new DLC expansion) cycle have exploits, places to jump to, where nowbody can reach you.

And then there is this major problem, a player blows up a building, and that highly advertised GeoMOD begins the lag, the host lags and we all lag since RFG has no dedicated servers. Players start dropping and multiplay gets lopsided, where the only person to stay connected is the host and the AFKers, way back at the respwan location, away from the demolition. I've won a couple games simply by not moving.

If you like variable vs variable play. RFG is for you. Never know what the sides will be, it could be 4v4, then drop to 3v2, then 1v2, then bam out of nowhere, game over, you win, host left... Major suckage here. If RFG didn't have good soloplay, I doubt it would have even got considered for publication.

It is not worth the price. Shame, this could be better, but all we get upfront with the PC version is solo FPS play with vehicles and a headache for multiplay. Something other people sell for 20 bucks. I don't think PCers get to play with Consolers on this thing, PC version vs PC version, or Console vs Console. No mingling.

That's what people in their game have been telling me. All in all, its a skipper. Orange Box is better priced and better in all catagories.

Knutor

One other point. The hotseat Demolition expansion, clearly shows the direction that their development is pointing. Towards more solo jerkfests. Don't expect multiplay to get love in the future, especially for free. I think game companies as a whole have stopped patching their code, you get what you agree to, and if ya don't like it... tough nookies it seems.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here