How Sony Lost the Game

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

How Sony Lost the Game

Are poorly kept secrets another sign of Sony's weakening grasp on the videogame industry?

Read Full Article

madbird-valiant:
Firstly, fuck you for your choice of article title. I always tell myself I don't care anymore. But I do.

Kudos for not going into the iPhone, because if you had I would have to kill you. Anyhow, Sony is effectively dead for now. It'll make a comeback in a few generations, but for now, long live the Microsoft-Nintendo Era.

It's a little annoying, isn't it? That title and all.

I do see what you mean, in regards to Sony. They just haven't been doing well lately. The PS2 was their golden age; nearly everything released afterwards hasn't done anywhere near as well as it.

Eff you and your title buddy.

And yeah Sony has been going downhill for a while. My friend has actually questioned how I went from PSone to PS2 tho XBOX 360. It was quite funny explaining. They can still make a comeback if they let loose their secret weapon. We all know what it is but they wont do it.

Good article, but I'm scared about one thing:

What's Indigo Dingo gonna say about this?

This article could have been interesting since the premise of leaking news being tied to little or lessened respect would be rather interesting.

Rather than going into analysing you just wrote down a rather brief and meaningless history of Sony's video game brand. Pretty dissapointed. Not really sure how most of this relates to Pocket gaming apart from the brief PSP Go mention.

So in short, you never try to test your hypothesis. I'd say: No.

Right now we have major leaks in pretty much every aspect of the industry, it seems to be gaining in importance for people to know these things before they are announced. Sony is losing ground but leaks have increased for every company and every developer.

Next time stick to pocket gaming and less flame-worthy bullshit please.

buy teh haloz:

The best thing we can do is get the hell outta dodge before I.D shows up ;P

BigDragun987:

And yeah Sony has been going downhill for a while. My friend has actually questioned how I went from PSone to PS2 tho XBOX 360. It was quite funny explaining. They can still make a comeback if they let loose their secret weapon. We all know what it is but they wont do it.

What do you think that weapon is? Blu-Ray? Christ forbid.

Whatever "secret weapon" Sony has, they won't reveal it until they unveil the new generation of consoles are unveiled.

So, basically, shite timing?

Gah, crap! I just re-read the title and lost The Game! Damn youuuu!

buy teh haloz:

BigDragun987:

Whatever "secret weapon" Sony has, they won't reveal it until they unveil the new generation of consoles are unveiled.

Fuck that, their secret weapon is The Last Guardian. It renders everything else a piece of crap. Admit it, there is nothing anyone else can do to compete with that. You're going to buy it, thats pretty much already decided.

DanniXXX:

buy teh haloz:

BigDragun987:

Fuck that, their secret weapon is The Last Guardian. It renders everything else a piece of crap. Admit it, there is nothing anyone else can do to compete with that. You're going to buy it, thats pretty much already decided.

I am? *looks over at his TV where there is most decidedly not a PS3 hooked up* oh look at that I guess I'm not going to. So much for your generalizations. I find it hilarious that so far everyone here is whinging inside out about the title, but from a numerical standpoint, They've lost. They went from "The videogame is over" in the halcyon days of the PS2 to stumbling about throwing out charts and predictions. I don't know how going from first to third can be constituted as anything but losing, short of going out of business which nobody is silly enough to believe will happen.

DanniXXX:

buy teh haloz:

BigDragun987:

I'd say that a was a little over the top. That's assuming people already have a ps3 for which they can play the last guardian on. And I'm sure anyone who doesnt already have a ps3 isn't going to suddenly buy one just for that one game.

And if you're basing "no one else can compete with that" on graphics, then I'm not sure I care for your opinion on it being thier secret weapon, while Shadow of the Collossus was awesome, I'm not sure I like the whole premise of the "Griffin" thing puzzles, and at the end of the day, gameplay will decide how the game is, not graphics.

buy teh haloz:

Probably his regular not-so-well-masked fanboy tripe.
It really gets tiresome.

On topic, it's actually pretty sad. I've never been a Playstation owner, but I can certainly recognize the impact made by Sony on the gaming world. The Playstation was amazing, the Playstation 2 was even more so, as it continues to sell into the 'next gen' era. And now the PS3, which is a fine system, is here, and it'll probably have a longer shelf life then the 360 (Speaking realistically and honestly).

But the hardware specs don't strictly sell the console, as we can see with the Wii, and the PS3, in my experience, just doesn't have the same exposure in media that the 360 and the Wii do. IT's there, certainly, but I see the other two far more. There are big franchises for all three systems, but the PS3 only really got out one so far (Metal Gear Solid). God of War is coming, of course, and Gran turismo is eventually coming out for real (instead of that glorified demo).

But the Wii already has a Zelda, with another one coming. It also has a Mario game already, with 2 more coming! The 360 got it's next Fable, as well as it's Halo (With 2 more coming) and started a whole new popular IP with Gears of War...of which two have been released.

It just strikes me that Sony is going slow. Which is a shame, because market competition can only mean good things for the consumer, if you are willing to omit the stupid fan-boys who can't say anything good about any other system besides passive-aggressive 'it'd make a good doorstop' type comments (I'm looking at you, Dingo).

Well it's a shame. Sony worked hard to get where they are, and it seems like they're sliding down again.

DanniXXX:

buy teh haloz:

BigDragun987:

I don't even know what that is.

Why not talk about the iPhone?

In before lockdown?
Besides who cares about "Sony's weakening grasp on the videogame industry"?
As long as their platform exists and there are good games for them, I will continue to buy their products.
Now I'm going to leave before we have some more fanboyism.

elvor0:

DanniXXX:

buy teh haloz:

BigDragun987:

I'd say that a was a little over the top. That's assuming people already have a ps3 for which they can play the last guardian on. And I'm sure anyone who doesnt already have a ps3 isn't going to suddenly buy one just for that one game.

And if you're basing "no one else can compete with that" on graphics, then I'm not sure I care for your opinion on it being thier secret weapon, while Shadow of the Collossus was awesome, I'm not sure I like the whole premise of the "Griffin" thing puzzles, and at the end of the day, gameplay will decide how the game is, not graphics.

Yeah, and what exactly suggests that that is up in the air, or has any form of doubt as to any part of it being less than perfect? And who was talking about graphics? On the level that its Trico. The follow up from the studios who brought us the Ps2's undeniable best games. Effectively the easy contender for best game of this generation on pedigree alone, not even adressing what the concept itself can lend to

And what do you mean "just" for that game? That implies as if that would be a bad deal

Baby Tea:

buy teh haloz:

It really gets tiresome.

Whereas yours and AceDiamonds is absolutely riveting. Really.

Internet Kraken:

DanniXXX:

I don't even know what that is.

Is that the game about the guy with diabetes?

Not much to say on the subject here. I do think Sony's problem is really media exposure (or perhaps I'm just not paying close enough attention.) I remember the early XBox 360 lifespan creating a stir about meltdowns and RROD, and mentions that one could buy part of the system for less than a PS3. Yet I don't hear much about the PS3 aside from people bitching about a price cut.

Ah well. Sony will endure.

Baby Tea:

buy teh haloz:

It really gets tiresome.

Ya, when he starts PMing you calling you scum for not supporting the PS3 he just goes too far.
I can tolerate idiots in the forums and maybe quoting me in thread but PMing you with their crap just crosses the line big time.

On topic: I have lost a lot of faith in sony because of their attitude problems. Like the PS2 lazer fix, they basically said they did not care, the PSPs faulty square button, they said it is the way it is meant to be and the customer just has to deal with it and then we come to the PS3. A gigantic waste of time.
I am sorry but it just lacks the range and quality of games as the 360. I have no attachment to any particular company but really, sony has long most of the exclusives that would have interested me in the ps3, the Ghostbusters fiasco kinda fucked them over big time, they refuse to drop prices and by the time it comes into its prime as the sony reps claim xbox would have brought out their next console that will blow the ps3 out of the water.

Designed to bait Sony fans? Cool by me. Make some more for Microsoft and Nintendo. It will be funny.

avykins:

Baby Tea:

buy teh haloz:

It really gets tiresome.

Ya, when he starts PMing you calling you scum for not supporting the PS3 he just goes too far.
I can tolerate idiots in the forums and maybe quoting me in thread but PMing you with their crap just crosses the line big time.

On topic: I have lost a lot of faith in sony because of their attitude problems. Like the PS2 lazer fix, they basically said they did not care, the PSPs faulty square button, they said it is the way it is meant to be and the customer just has to deal with it and then we come to the PS3. A gigantic waste of time.
I am sorry but it just lacks the range and quality of games as the 360. I have no attachment to any particular company but really, sony has long most of the exclusives that would have interested me in the ps3, the Ghostbusters fiasco kinda fucked them over big time, they refuse to drop prices and by the time it comes into its prime as the sony reps claim xbox would have brought out their next console that will blow the ps3 out of the water.

Oh yes, because Natal totally isn't just some gimicky bullshit everyone will grow tired of in an instant.

Its not very suprising the guy tried to yell at you in private. I bet he actually had to give up after you were just too annoying.

DanniXXX:
Oh yes, because Natal totally isn't just some gimicky bullshit everyone will grow tired of in an instant.

Its not very suprising the guy tried to yell at you in private. I bet he actually had to give up after you were just too annoying.

Yes because sonys own motion sensor with its ugly pink ball is sooooo much better.
Seriously, you are making me honestly wonder if you are just a duplicate account of indigo as you spout exactly the same bullshit and take other peoples opinions on a fucking video game console way too seriously. Anyone would think we were insulting your family members.
Grow the fuck up or shut the fuck up. Either one works for me.

Oh god, I smell smoke.

buy teh haloz:

Probably nothing, at least not for the next seven days.

I do still want a PSP. There are quite a few games for it that I really, really want.

avykins:

DanniXXX:
Because of course, how something looks is far more important than, you know, it actually doing something in any way useful and applicable.

Shut your goddamn hole.

Its a rip off of the Wiimote. Nothing more. Sony can not even come up with something original anymore so steal from superior companies.

You mean like how Natal is a direct fucking ripoff of the Eyetoy?

Check, and fucking mate.

And anyway, the thing was designed back in 2002.

avykins:
Seriously, you are making me honestly wonder if you are just a duplicate account of indigo as you spout exactly the same bullshit and take other peoples opinions on a fucking video game console way too seriously.

I remember indigo having more class than this guy.

DanniXXX:
Because of course, how something looks is far more important than, you know, it actually doing something in any way useful and applicable.

But its function is the same as Natal's, which you have already stated as gimicky[sic], so are you taking back what you said earlier, or do you just have no idea what you're going on about?

DanniXXX:

Erm... hate to break this to you, but Sony aren't exactly original in their product designs.

DanniXXX:

Check, and fucking mate.

Yeah and how the eyetoy is a standard USB webcam that plugs into a PS2. Not exactly original now is it.
So "Check, and fucking mate" yourself.

saikanoto:

I remember indigo having more class than this guy.

Eh not by much. The PMs were quite pathetic. Plus it is kind of odd that indigos profile lists him as Online Now so maybe a different browser with this account.

Edit: Just something I found on the PS3s new gimmick. "The controller is technically inferior to Microsoft's Project Natal because it uses only two point tracking mechanism while Project Natal can track the movement of your whole body including your legs, hand and even fingers in 3D."

Stepping away from all the fanboy squawking going on, it seems like Sony dropped the ball by underestimating their competition and overestimating themselves and their base. They discounted xbox and seriously discounted the Wii, and assumed everyone who had a PSx would rush to the store with cash in hand...and then when people did that, they didn't have enough actually machines to sell. They let Microsoft have that extra year to get established, and then came out around the same time as the paradigm-shifting Wii (face it guys, it is. Which is why Microsoft and Sony are scrambling to catch up.)

Sony has shot themselves time and time again this console generation--not just the delays and the costs and misreading the market, but in things like their advertisements (remember the "Black vs White" advertisements when the new white PSP came out? Free press is not always good press, Sony).

avykins:

DanniXXX:

Yes because sonys own motion sensor with its ugly pink ball is sooooo much better.
Seriously, you are making me honestly wonder if you are just a duplicate account of indigo as you spout exactly the same bullshit and take other peoples opinions on a fucking video game console way too seriously. Anyone would think we were insulting your family members.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

DanniXXX:

Baby Tea:

buy teh haloz:

It really gets tiresome.

Whereas yours and AceDiamonds is absolutely riveting. Really.

Bwahaha! I might get upset or annoyed, but it's obvious you didn't even read my post.
Perhaps if you did, you might have seen how I said Sony is a good company, how every Playstation is a good system, and how it's a shame Sony isn't doing as well as they should be since they have a good product.

Yeah you're right, I'm actually working for Microsoft. /sarcasm.

Heaven forbid there be a bit of criticism about the company that makes your video game console.
You fanboys make me laugh.

The blogosphere seems ready to ignore the PSPgo before it's even out.

I'm not sure that anyone should really give a rip what the "blogosphere" thinks. These are the same people that hyped Snakes on a Plane and didn't go see it. These were the same people who pissed on the Wii's name and then bought it. They have the attention span and reliability of a 5 year old on a sugar high. I'll let this thing hit the market before I say that it is dead in the water.

caz105:

avykins:

DanniXXX:

Hypocrisy at its finest.

This isn't really hypocrisy. Avykins was understandably not happy about the pointless personal attacks and replying to that. He is, on the whole, a very reasonable Escapist.

Gawd now i lost the game thx bud

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or