Zero Punctuation: Overlord 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I disagree. I liked it, I am liking it. Being mindlessly evil is fun. Beating seals to death is fun. Whacking gay elfs on the head is fun.

lol the asseist of the ass XD
great as always

Strong Intelligent:
I need to try that in Half-life. I'll load it up now!

Do it in Garrys Mod, Much more fun

even the review was boring, damn game D= not that yathzee is boring but talking about a boring game was boring

great job yahtzee. well said, its true its not about being a dick (neccessarily) its about breaking the rules. thank you for being the greatest game reviewer there ever was

TheManWithNoShoes:
I actually enjoyed the original Overlord, I always found the fact that it wanted you to be evil quite fun. I suppose the idea did loose it's luster somewhere around the first few levels though. I think I'll give Overlord2 a miss.

I have to agree but honestly at times in Overlord you didn't feel that evil at all. Not even killing the village of Hobbits did I feel very evil.

"enjoy this semi-colon ;"

Great review Yahtzee.

Zombie Badger:

Ambition:
The Pope would be Neutral Evil, as the laws of man hold no sway over him (though he doesn't necessarily work against them.

Sorry dude.

No, because he doesn't go around ordering people's deaths, he sits in his doom fortress legally preaching his message of hate to his brainwashed minions.

Not to murder is his own personal value, neutral characters only go around killing folks if it benefits them, and they can justify it to themselves. If his sense of ethics allowed it (his faith) he would in a heartbeat. However, he rallies his 'troops' against any laws that displease his own arbitrary sense of moral value.

I don't agree at all. Overlord (and 2 sort of) was brilliant

At least rent the game. It should be experienced

well, i liked pikmin and i never realy got into "proper" RTS games, but i still dont care about this game
whatever then

Ambition:
The Pope would be Neutral Evil, as the laws of man hold no sway over him (though he doesn't necessarily work against them.

Sorry dude.

Being Lawful means adhering to a strict code/order/etc, not necessarily our laws. I'd say the catholic church is a very strict order, wouldn't you?

"I could not have put that any nerdier, could I?"

This game is actually fun and I bet many others would think that is they weren't doing the usual ZP fanboy act where they claim to hate as much as he does. The main issue with most critics were glitches, although that joke was used up on STALKER: Clear Sky (one of the best ZP jokes yet of course lol).

Funny review still! And yeah, the controls are better on the consoles (I have the 360 version, but it red ring'd on me so I can't complete it yet, typical). But I don't see the link with Peter whats his face since he wants you to "love" characters (and tries badly), Overlord clearly not so much. Pikmin is correct but only in terms of gameplay.

Pope is lawful evil? I'm starting to question the first part of the statement now a days lol!

Zenode:
Overlord Seems like one to avoid at any rate. "I do agree with the its not fun to be a dick if your encouraged to do that" theory

I guess moral choice isn't for Yahtzee

EDIT: pretty sure everyone except the guy above me is gonna get a whomping from the mods :-P

I hope they do, I liked this review and I was thinking of geting this but now I think I'll pass, is it me or did this review seem shorter than normal?

Haha this was really funny. I thought this had potential to be a good game, something similar to Kingdom under fire which I enjoyed. Oh well.

Good review. I played a demo of the original and found it to be amusing but nothing I'd actually pay for or even put in my GF Queue.. Nice to see the sequel followed suit.

Great review as always.
I love how you bring to light the usually overlooked flaws.
You always hear game X is so great and got like 90% at Y review site, but rarely ever people talk about the gameplay flaws that often make playing the game a chore rather than fun.

As for the pope:
http://edkrebs.com/herb/petoons28/pope_looks_like_palpatine_02.jpg

i kinda had a vague hope that this might be a good game.
oooohhh well.

also "don't forget it rhymes with nazi" was my favourite part xD

Not one of his funniest, but good nonetheless.

I've definitely reached the conclusion that Yahtzee and I don't agree on games at all. Which is fine, his reviews are still very entertaining, I just don't agree with most of what he says. He's right about the minion sweep thing, though, that sucks on the PC.

The game is quite fun, in just the sheer mindset of "go minions". True sometimes the moving the minions is tough, but hell your an overlord... Overall its a game you should get if you liked the first, otherwise used or rent for everyone else.

Please note: First game ever that I wanted to kill all the elves, then the game Dev's for how they portrayed them.

I was feeling kidna isolated until this, finally a reason to justify my boredom with this game.

Oh I so called this one.

Good review, though while I enjoyed this game it wasn't as fun as 1. Mainly because they have enemies that can kill all of your minions in a heartbeat, maybe because the final boss is shit, or because the story as a whole is quite lacking.

About as Peter Molyneux as you can get without having Peter Molyneux.

Loved it, as always.

I played Overlord 1 and it sucked arse. Nice semi-colon by the way.

saiyanwarrior:

I hope they do, I liked this review and I was thinking of geting this but now I think I'll pass, is it me or did this review seem shorter than normal?

Nope it was the same 4 minute review as normal so dont worry, i thought for a second that it was LONGER than usual lol

If it wasn't such a familair clone to the original, I -might- get it...But I spent my monies on Prince of Persia and Heavenly Sword....Hmmm..>_>

I'm disappointed to see all the minions here rejecting a game because of overlord Yahtzee rejecting it. Yes, Overlord can be a bit linear, and the micromanagement can be a bitch with the controls (which are actually a lot better on consoles), but the thing is it actually is a lot of fun. If you want a second opinion and would rather not just break over the whims of Yahtzee then try this review by Susan Arendt. It describes in much more accuracy the merits and downfalls of the game because it isn't focused on tearing the game down which is the general goal of Yahtzee's reviews.

Rajin Cajun:

TheManWithNoShoes:
I actually enjoyed the original Overlord, I always found the fact that it wanted you to be evil quite fun. I suppose the idea did loose it's luster somewhere around the first few levels though. I think I'll give Overlord2 a miss.

I have to agree but honestly at times in Overlord you didn't feel that evil at all. Not even killing the village of Hobbits did I feel very evil.

I would agree as well. I think the reason Overlord got boring in that sense was because there was absolutely no emphasis on the villagers that you maimed. They just seemed so cardboard and would occasionally help you before you and your army of demons ripped them to pieces. The good/evil thing here doesn't seem to have enough depth to work well, in my opinion

Mr.Tea:

Ambition:

Sorry dude.

Being Lawful means adhering to a strict code/order/etc, not necessarily our laws. I'd say the catholic church is a very strict order, wouldn't you?

"I could not have put that any nerdier, could I?"

Yes, but they're 'laws' that he can change, rewrite and toss any of them at his leisure.

i name my dining room tables too!

awesome review Yahtzee! Keep it up =)

I suddenly see the absurdity of criticism: it assumes that the object of its critique actually wants to improve. What a ridiculously foolish assumption. What it wants - what everything and everyone everywhere wants - is to make money. The end. Now let's refashion the entire methodology of criticism around a market-based ideology and see where we get. I can guarantee it will seem, at the very least, less absurd.

Xangi:
I'm actually glad that someone compared this to pikmin, it proves that I'm not insane and that the two games actually are similar. But pikmin is better... by a lot...

Of course it is. Nintendo made it back when they made games for real gamers. The sequel starts to feel like more of the same, but it was a great original concept and extremely well executed in the first game.

Dr.Poisonfreak:
absolutely brilliant review as always, was thinking about getting the game but i think i will pass now....

Freakout456:
Hmm I was actually thinking about buying this off of steam and now I know not to thanks yahtzee.

Seriously?

This is something I never understand - you were thinking of trying the game out, but because Yahtzee, someone that sensationalizes poor points about a game and generally acts as though he hates everything for comedic effect says its bad, you won't try it...

That's pretty stupid...besides which the role of a critique is not to improve aspects of the game it is to criticise them...criticism is subjective, and going on about the bad points of the game without offering any form of suggestion as to how it could be improved helps nobody...

D_987:

Dr.Poisonfreak:
absolutely brilliant review as always, was thinking about getting the game but i think i will pass now....

Seriously?

This is something I never understand - you were thinking of trying the game out, but because Yahtzee, someone that sensationalizes poor points about a game and generally acts as though he hates everything for comedic effect says its bad, you won't try it...

That's pretty stupid...

Agreed, I mean it would make sense to try and game if he LIKED it since thats very rare (reason why I looked into Saints Row 2), but if you went by his advice 110% you'd probably have a small game's library.

The best case of him trashing a good game with good advice was MGS4 (that had enough fanboys to defend, it Overlord 2 doesn't) because he pointed out that the plot would be confusing for those who aren't long time fans... thats advice to go by.

Since this sin't a mainstream game there won't be that many comment with most being "never heard of it" or "won't get it now" with the later most likely being said since this is probably the only review of Overlord 2 they'll read.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here