Zero Punctuation: Overlord 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Oddly enough, nothing he said actually stops me from wanting the game. I liked the irony in the first game and grew to like the evil stoic. *cough*SelfInsertionFantasyPersona*cough* So I was looking forward to raising his kid. *cough*badparenting*cough*

Damn summer colds.

I've said it before, but evidently it needs to be said again:
If you base your decisions upon the opinion of a single person (no matter how interesting, amusing, and/or intelligent that person may be), please start bleating because you are SHEEP!

Seriously, isn't that the definition of a 'follower'?

I always take Yahtzee's reviews for what I'm pretty sure he intended them to be- comedy, with perhaps the added bonus of conveying some salient facts about a game. Given the nature of Yahtzee's personality and humor, I recognize that he will most likely focus primarily on the negative aspects of the game he is reviewing, and I look at those criticisms and figure out if they are relevant to my own personal pet peeves.

The control issues are a good example: if Yahtzee says that the controls handled like an ass on stilts strapped to rollerskates and it seems as if some of the challenge of the game is simply overcoming poor controls, then that is going to give me pause because that is something that I HATE.

But as far as the "that you're supposed to be a dick takes the fun out of being a dick", or "the possibility of forming an attachment to your minions to the point that you'd pay to bring them back from the dead is ludicrous" (no, I have not, in fact, named my dining room chairs... yet) criticisms, well, I don't necessarily agree with those opinions, so I ignore them.

I also disagree about his take on the function of critics-- reviews and the like may contribute a bit to the refinement process, but as someone else pointed out, it's all about profit motive, as is thoroughly demonstrated by the steaming mounds of turd-like game sequels that are constantly shovelled out the door. No, the primary role critics play is to help their audience make informed decisions about what they do with their entertainment dollar, instead of just opting to toss it out the window. Yes, that does have a bit of an impact on profit motive, as it might help shape sales somewhat, but when you correlate the numbers, it is, at best, tertiary.

but meh, food for thought at least. He should've chosen Evil Genius. I've played both and I thought EG was the better of the two.

Overlord 1 was so much better than 2. Smarter minions, funnier, more interesting fighting and exploring, and it's only like $10-20. While it seemed like Codemasters knew what it was doing on the surface, they really weren't able to construct a worthy sequel. I heartily recommend Overlord 1, and hope you'll stay far away from 2.

Just a few specific things that drove me insane:
-Town control. Killing/dominating 100 townspeople is one of the most horribly dull and repetitive things I've endured in gaming
-Minions keep returning to your side after killing a single animal/enemy, instead of moving onto the next close foe, forcing you to constantly redeploy them. They fail to pick up life force half the time after killing an animal too.
-Their repetitive voice clips go off constantly, and over top of one another. This is most evident once you have some mounted minions. "Giddy up! Good wolfy! giddgood wolrun run!" Shut up!
-The location to switch mistresses is really far away from the place where you choose decorations. Your active mistress determines your choices, so you're constantly running back and forward to compare decorations. What the hell's the point!?

you kinda have a point there, sometimes i wonder if we and by WE i mean me and yathse play the same game.
but then i see him riping apart usually the main flaws wich i love "halo 3 being a good rule of thumb by focusing on extremely flawed sp that alot a reviewers seem more than happy overlooking and thus makin spend 60 freaking dollars that i not getting back" , i downloaded both demos from psn and did not care to play it to the end .
but i absolutely see i anyone would like the game , decent controls and graphics and..... O YEAH u get to club baby seals

If you buy your mistresses all of their stuff their is a sex scene, so don't say they don't do anything. Good review otherwise, but I must say I disagree, and thoroughly enjoyed the game.

"sucks all the fun out of being an asshole" - instant classic
;

The moment I saw my friend's copy of Overlord 2, I immediately said "Pikmin!"

Is it just me or does it seem like you can't win with Yatzhee and the morality system issue? He blasts Infamous for letting you be either good or evil, he blasts Prototype for trying to make Alex seem like an antihero while he's killing and consuming everyone within tenticals reach, and appernetly (still can't get the darn video to load) he blasts Overlord for not making any attempt at all to portray you as anything other than a villian and letting you choose between mind controling everyone and slaughtering them.

Strong Intelligent:
I need to try that in Half-life. I'll load it up now!

Its fun isn't it?

Macksheath:

Keep it up, old bean!

Who the hell says that still? Have you benn left two long in the British Australian vault of Yahtzee doom?(ok that took alot more thinking then anyone will care for)

Uhh, i forgot what i was gonna say inbetween talking about the first quote and the second
please enjoy this semicolon: ;

A fat ass, on stilts...and roller skates...lol! RTS strategy games lost their luster for me a long time ago with things like Command and Conquer and Warcraft. I also agree that half the fun of being a dick while playing a video game is the fact that you're not necessarily "supposed to". I definitely enjoyed the laughs I got from this review.

Geebus, get off your duff and do Red Faction: Guerrilla already, Yahtzee.

Sacrifice.

THAT is a game he should play. I know it is a RTS, but it plays very different from the usual RTS and has a delightful setting. In it a bunch of jerkasses Gods fight over the alliance with a wizard (that's you) because of a track record of destroying an entire dimension (his birthplace). Interestingly, Persephone (Goddess of Life) is eviller than Charnel (God of Slaughter).

And Phoenixes are bloated creatures covered in wings that seem to struggle to just keep living. Everything is twisted.

I liked it more than overlord 1 and pik min so i guess nintendo fails at making their ideas. The game had a good humor about it. The minions are so cute when they say treasure! But yea its easy to get ose in this game and money is bloody rare and the game is made to be finished twice by either becoming a destruction overlord or a dominion overlord. But i wqas 3/4 trhough destruction and my spells were pretty much the same. The spells sucks.

It's funny, but also sad, when people jump on the bandwagon of hatred because Yahtzee hates it.

I still remember few weeks ago when dozens of people said they LOVE the game, and now everyone acts like they have completely changed their mind...

I mean COME THE HELL ON, a 79/100 on Metacritics and people hate it? I think something is just not right here.

Overlord FTW. It's the english humor (something you wouldn't expect in a dutch game) that makes the game fun to play. Go Triumph Studios!!!

i really enjoyed today's episode
but i have a question... who the hell is this guy at 0:33?????
i have seen him in almost every episode of ZP

I love Yahtzee's reviews, this one was as hilarious as always. My fiancée wanted overlord but tbh, i think we'll give it a miss :)

aljoti:
Overlord FTW. It's the english humor (something you wouldn't expect in a dutch game) that makes the game fun to play. Go Triumph Studios!!!

Well the reason for that would be that the Rhianna Pratchett who wrote it is the daughter of Terry Pratchett, and if you don't know who he is... then you been misisng out on one of the best fantasy/humor serieses in existance.

lol lawful and chaotic evil

solidstatemind:
I don't necessarily agree with those opinions, so I ignore them.

Not very open-minded.

solidstatemind:
I also disagree about his take on the function of critics-- reviews and the like may contribute a bit to the refinement process, but as someone else pointed out, it's all about profit motive, as is thoroughly demonstrated by the steaming mounds of turd-like game sequels that are constantly shovelled out the door. No, the primary role critics play is to help their audience make informed decisions about what they do with their entertainment dollar, instead of just opting to toss it out the window. Yes, that does have a bit of an impact on profit motive, as it might help shape sales somewhat, but when you correlate the numbers, it is, at best, tertiary.

That way of looking at things is exactly what causes "steaming mounds of turd-like game sequels". The game industry is an industry, and will always be directed by profit, but if good design and writing are required to achieve success, we will get them. This is why critizing games as works of art and craft is a small act of opposition to this trend of industrialized blandness. It is worth doing.

The Americans make games where you are evil because you can kill like Jason Voorhees.
The Japanese make games where you are evil because you enslave harems of school girls with tentacle beasts.

If only the two cultures could come together to make a overlord game that simulates true depravity. >:3

This is not the first alignment joke the chaotic neutral Yahtzee has made. Is he a closet D&D nerd? Does he organize campaigns to torture Matt and Yug when they're not playing Rock Band or tonguing each other? The world may never know.

Also, once again I found myself wondering (in this case at the "Real Time Stupid" moment): who the hell is that guy Yahtzee keeps using to represent everything that is banal and stupid about gaming?

He's absolutely right about Steam and he just saved me another few dollars that I can use for something like food.

hilarious review and i loved the semi colon at the end

ive actually heard really good things about both overlord games. despite the mostly negative review on it i think im gonna try it out anyway - couldn't hurt.

i still always think these are hilarious, regardless of my like or dislike of the game in review

Played it... a little
didn't like it either.
I liked PIKMIN BETTER. O_O
that's scary.

Controlling the minions in overlord was hard?

I must have rare skills.

Still I get the impression the sequel isn't quite as good. I may get it from the bargain bin.

Fronzel:

solidstatemind:
I don't necessarily agree with those opinions, so I ignore them.

Not very open-minded.

I didn't say I didn't consider it, I said I didn't agree with it so I discarded it. That's not being close-minded, that's being logical: weighing a dissenting opinion and then choosing to not factor it in your own decision.

Fronzel:

solidstatemind:

That way of looking at things is exactly what causes "steaming mounds of turd-like game sequels". The game industry is an industry, and will always be directed by profit, but if good design and writing are required to achieve success, we will get them. This is why critizing games as works of art and craft is a small act of opposition to this trend of industrialized blandness. It is worth doing.

Look, if you don't understand what I was saying, then say so instead of trying to come up with some sort of inflammatory but incorrect point so you can argue. To imply that I was saying criticism is without value is completely false (bolded above for clarity). To simplify, Yahtzee's statement seemed to me to say that the critics provide direct feedback to the game production process in what they say. I can promise you that 99.99% of the time, projected sales are the only thing publishers care about, not favorable reviews of past products... if that were not the case, Looking Glass Studios would still be making games today! Critics are relevant, but only in terms of how they influence sales-- well, and maybe influence future game-designers, but yet again, that is not as direct an influence as Yahtzee is implying.

If that doesn't make sense to you, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Let me guess, you quit right after the spider boss. That was the most frustrating bit in the game so far. And the 360 controls by the sounds of things aren't much better. The delay when trying to sweep your minions sucks.

Aww. I like the Overlord games. Oh, well. It least the review made for a good ZP. Hopefully Yahtzee's review can drive down the price a bit. Cheers.

On the subject of D&D, WotC has been trying to push it as being cool, hip, and not (just) for nerds anymore. Reminds me of when they tried to make Loony Toons X-TREEEME!!

I liked the game but I agree with him too witch made me laugh more.

Hm, I thought about renting the game, but this does not sound too promising. Maybe I'll borrow it off a friend.

Also, I realise that this is a minority problem, but why are all minions everywhere always female? Some of us dudes here might like some more options, and I am sure that some ladygamers would have similar views.

Oh bullcrap. What is so bad about linearity? Not every game can be a good sandbox game - in fact, most sandbox games are shit. Actually most points aren't criticism but nitpicking and the latter never improved humanity in the slightest.

ZP doesn't improve humanity by the power of valid criticism. It makes people laugh. At least it should but this fell flat for me due to this self-indulgent critic bit at the beginning. And the most frustrating aspect of this is: I don't even like the stupid game. There could've been so much said about its flaws. But no, generic fantasy world and flimsy design, wow. Next time Yahtzee pans a game for "realistic" graphic he has officially declared himself a hypocrite.

D_987:

Dr.Poisonfreak:
absolutely brilliant review as always, was thinking about getting the game but i think i will pass now....

Freakout456:
Hmm I was actually thinking about buying this off of steam and now I know not to thanks yahtzee.

Seriously?

This is something I never understand - you were thinking of trying the game out, but because Yahtzee, someone that sensationalizes poor points about a game and generally acts as though he hates everything for comedic effect says its bad, you won't try it...

That's pretty stupid...besides which the role of a critique is not to improve aspects of the game it is to criticise them...criticism is subjective, and going on about the bad points of the game without offering any form of suggestion as to how it could be improved helps nobody...

i said i wouldn't buy it, but i will rent it just to see if it is any good, i have the original overlord and i really like it

Very funny review. I wonder if the semicolon thing will become viral? (>^.^)>;

I might use it if someone does something awesome but I'm out of cookies...

Hahaha another good ZP

Sorry Yahtzee, while I love your satirical reviews, I have to disagree with you on Overlord 2. The sweeping works better on console and I genuenly enjoy the writing style of the game.

Anaphyis:
Oh bullcrap. What is so bad about linearity? Not every game can be a good sandbox game - in fact, most sandbox games are shit. In fact most points aren't criticism but nitpicking and the latter never improved humanity in the slightest.

I agree with you on that one, linear games are not all that bad and Overlord 2 is semi-linear, after all you can go anywhere on th any of the small maps you are on.

However I think they can mabe include a few more fetures in this game. For example I liked how you would get your missions from people requesting an audience, I wish they could have expanded upon that even more and gave you more optional side quests from these people (and you could either agree or send them plumiting to their deaths).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here