Zero Punctuation: Overlord 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Yahtzee, it's one thing that you are damn funny, but it's just another to show just how much you want a job with Valve by giving them a gigantic free plug for the most INconvenient game download service most people will ever use. Maybe you're lucky but there are more glitches in Steam than there are in your average sandbox game, and we both know that that is saying something.

Anyone who thinks a game download service is more convenient than a store two blocks away is probably not just lazy, but fused to their chairs by way of flab. Or they're making a plug that they're paid for, or want to be paid for.

Freakout456:
Hmm I was actually thinking about buying this off of steam and now I know not to thanks yahtzee.

I second that notion.

Silva:
Yahtzee, it's one thing that you are damn funny, but it's just another to show just how much you want a job with Valve by giving them a gigantic free plug for the most INconvenient game download service most people will ever use. Maybe you're lucky but there are more glitches in Steam than there are in your average sandbox game, and we both know that that is saying something.

Anyone who thinks a game download service is more convenient than a store two blocks away is probably not just lazy, but fused to their chairs by way of flab. Or they're making a plug that they're paid for, or want to be paid for.

Freakout456:
Hmm I was actually thinking about buying this off of steam and now I know not to thanks yahtzee.

I second that notion.

Steam is about as cheap as yahtzee's mum. Not very cheap at all!

I tried the first Overlord game and it was actually pretty fun.

I haven't tried the sequel yet, but I will soon. If we were to trust Y for which games are worth playing, we'd all be stuck playing Thief and Psychonauts and a few more games adding up to less than a handful.

So, thanks for the funny review, but I'll play the game anyway, and enjoy it!

how can the actors have British accent??
it's is a dutch game :P

*Arranges desktop icons in a smiley face*

I agree wholeheartedly with everything he says in this one.

BY GOD! YAHTZEE STOP REVIEWING STUFF ON THE WRONG PLATFORMS

And give the developers a little credit for the dark humor they put in which in some points actually quite resembles your's

I mean the whole game is A rip on the fantasy universe have you not played the first game do you not get what It's about

Usually I agree with you but this is a game that actually seems to be you YES I said you if you we're to be a game

Oh cool, he's reviewing games that have numbers at the end, maybe next week he'll review Street Fighter IV or Killzone 2.

Anyways this was a great review, as usual.

"People say i'd like these games and I don't really know how to respond to that..."

Maraveno:

And give the developers a little credit for the dark humor they put in which in some points actually quite resembles your's

I mean the whole game is A rip on the fantasy universe have you not played the first game do you not get what It's about

Usually I agree with you but this is a game that actually seems to be you YES I said you if you we're to be a game

Then maybe developers should stop putting the games on consoles they weren't designed for to make a quick buck from unassuming people, eh?

magicdemon71:
how can the actors have British accent??
it's is a dutch game :P

Then stop using Irish and British voice actors for Fallout 3!

I'm downloading that PDF.

mike1921:
You can't really blame him that much, I mean in the tutorial I was able to tell I'd be fucked if a real puzzle comes along in the demo. Which annoyed me to no end because that's not what I was doing/wanted to be doing 99% of the time. It's like God of war, I love when I'm killing shit but when you give me a puzzle sequence I'll only be able to get passed it if I have gamefaqs handy, hopefully there are some fun monsters to fight during the puzzle sequence so I could not bore myself to death (really , who the hell thought it'd be a good ideas to add puzzles to a fast paced action game?). If the whole game or a fuckton of the game was that minion controlling thing the game'd be as unplayable as it deserves to be for forcing you to do that shit.

Yahtzee can't use the same excuse you can as he made a game based on puzzles, and nobody's paying you to write a review, so you don't have to play it, which I'm pretty sure you haven't anyway.

mike1921:
Making a critic play a bad game through to the end will do what exactly? I never expect to hear, from anyone"wade through this massive ocean of shit for the ending".

Just because you don't have the capacity for puzzle solving, which you admit, doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just makes it ill-suited to your playstyle. It's a critics job to play through it. That's what they're payed for, giving a review to its entirety. He stopped playing probably around the use of the fire minions, he doesn't even mention blue or green, let alone what they do. This suggests he didn't even read the manual. Part of each review should be based on how easily you can get a hang of the game, if he's unwilling to learn. Furthermore, maybe there's some redeeming quality later on, like, I don't know, having access to all the minion types. Simply put, don't even try to back it up unless you're going to play through and make a decent objective review that explains the pros and cons. And then you can throw in why you hate it and the developer should go die in a bush, or whatever drivel you want to add. Maybe The Escapist will pay you instead then.

Lord_Jaroh:

Then maybe developers should stop putting the games on consoles they weren't designed for to make a quick buck from unassuming people, eh?

As was the case with Ghostbusters. Even then, he did have a point criticizing the dumb AI.

I agree with the mouse/keyboard combo kind of sucking a little bit. I used it for like 5 mins, up until you had to move all your minions around, and then I plugged in my Xbox controller *GASP* OMG, really? PC's have controllers? Just like consoles? Who would have thought...Anyway, the game played much better.

I thought Overlord 2 was alright. I didn't mind the linear aspect too much, I just thought their wasn't enough content, not enough side missions to do.

The rose of tralee is irish not british, oh no i have become one of those people aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lord_Jaroh:

Maraveno:

yeh I get you

but... It's a general known fact that Overlord's PC controls suck ass

Meaning that yahtzee was probably to busy to think of proper jokes about overlord 2 because this is what he mainly ripped on >.>

This week's wasn't a knee-slapper, but I think it was a huge improvement from the reviews of the last few weeks.

If you're getting paid, do you're job, unless that job is some how unethical in regard to human rights and/or will result in the inability to use the money you are paid. I've been a fan of this review series for a while, but it seems to be getting full of it self, much like the web comics it criticized a few months ago. I heard less about the game and more about the boring things he did while not finishing it, oh and a lot of things about an ass, and about how being a dick is only fun if you're not supposed to be a dick. In that vein, the grand theft auto series must be shit, because you're playing a theif (usually a member of a gang or mafia or something related to those), that acts generally in a dickish manner and does dickish things to people (some of which go above and beyond the call of dick: see GTA SA in the mission regarding the construction workers that whistle are Kendel, the main character's sister). And what's the point of being a dick in HL2? you can hop on peoples heads, but it doesn't affect them, you can't kill allies, except during one chapter where you can command a useless squad of ally AIs that supply you with health, ammo, and an inability to effectively kill the enemy on their own, to their deaths by simply sending them into the thick of it and letting them die, beyond that, and the juvenile humor you can get by harassing people with bug bombs, to which no allies respond. Maybe Yahtzee enjoys that sort of thing, but I can't help but doubt that more people enjoy doing dickish things in GTA than in HL2, or maybe he's playing with SMod and kills his allies (in which case he'd run into a similar problem as Fallout 3's Dr. Braun where there's no one left to play with, well, except with the spawn command, but even that gets boring after a while)

That said, Overlord II and it's predecessor have flaws, some of which he did touch on, such as the uselessness of mistresses aside from the added presence of boobs to your grand chamber, and the control issue, albeit, explained until exhaustion. He didn't mention the humor which while not laugh worthy (usually) can bring a smirk to your face at the least.

I would certainly get bord indeed I guess...I dislike being a jerk but if the game makes u then it's like oh I can't be myself anyways? Lol, good points XD

Jeffman12:

mike1921:
You can't really blame him that much, I mean in the tutorial I was able to tell I'd be fucked if a real puzzle comes along in the demo. Which annoyed me to no end because that's not what I was doing/wanted to be doing 99% of the time. It's like God of war, I love when I'm killing shit but when you give me a puzzle sequence I'll only be able to get passed it if I have gamefaqs handy, hopefully there are some fun monsters to fight during the puzzle sequence so I could not bore myself to death (really , who the hell thought it'd be a good ideas to add puzzles to a fast paced action game?). If the whole game or a fuckton of the game was that minion controlling thing the game'd be as unplayable as it deserves to be for forcing you to do that shit.

Yahtzee can't use the same excuse you can as he made a game based on puzzles, and nobody's paying you to write a review, so you don't have to play it, which I'm pretty sure you haven't anyway.

Like I said, I played the demo. It made me feel "ehhh". I'll get the full game when gamefly sends it to me.

I'm not saying GOW is a bad game, on the contrary, it'd be my favorite game of all time if they removed those fucking puzzles. And I did play it through the end despite the puzzles because the non-annoying parts of the thing was sooooo good. If you meant the minions with the mazes,that's a completely different kind of puzzle IMO. Please tell me if he made a game based on maze solving from an angle where you could barely see. Also, judging from his review of the darkness demo, he has the same problem with this kinda crap that I did.

mike1921:
Making a critic play a bad game through to the end will do what exactly? I never expect to hear, from anyone"wade through this massive ocean of shit for the ending".

Just because you don't have the capacity for puzzle solving, which you admit, doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just makes it ill-suited to your playstyle. It's a critics job to play through it. That's what they're payed for, giving a review to its entirety. He stopped playing probably around the use of the fire minions, he doesn't even mention blue or green, let alone what they do. This suggests he didn't even read the manual. Part of each review should be based on how easily you can get a hang of the game, if he's unwilling to learn. Furthermore, maybe there's some redeeming quality later on, like, I don't know, having access to all the minion types. Simply put, don't even try to back it up unless you're going to play through and make a decent objective review that explains the pros and cons. And then you can throw in why you hate it and the developer should go die in a bush, or whatever drivel you want to add. Maybe The Escapist will pay you instead then.

But, how will playing it through to it's entirety change anything? For GOW, maybe this is me being biased, but I think it's pretty out of place to follow killing a barbarian with the blades of athena with a puzzle sequence. There are people who read the manuals before they run into problems O_O ?

It didn't seem like he didn't get the hang of the game to me, it seemed like the difficulty of the actual game (I consider the minion puzzles to be mini-games within the game ) never went up. Which I admit is his fault, thrice so if he chooses the game he reviews every week .

Playing each game through to the end.....given some games I've played and their horribleness/difficulty .....I would need to know the payment.

The Pope is lawful evil, huh?

Nice to know that Yahtzee is still a little child at heart. Then again, it's games that he excels in, and not worldly issues.

I totally lost you about 1:30 through. Also, what you said about critics making entertainment better tickles me.Especially because you pave yourself out as a professional critic, yet don't look at games form a professional stand point. Are you really bettering games in ways that would benefit the genre.Or are you trying to inject your personal philosophy into the game so the genre evolves the way YOU want it to evolve?

My alternative review for anyone who hasn't raged out at this point would be to watch this guy's review instead.

Even though I like Overlord 2, I can't disagree with anything Yahtzee mentions in the review save the "it's not as fun being the bad guy when the game tells you to be one" - isn't that the point of Saint's Row 2?

You're a total bastard in SR2, and even if you never kill anyone that isn't shooting you, there are moments in the cutscenes where you're using innocent people as human shields or just running them over. Sure, SR2 is more polished and playable than Overlord 2, but I find it strange to criticize Overlord's "forced evil" and yet praise that exact element in SR2.

Also, the "resurrecting favourite minions" can be useful, as this means you can resurrect high-level minions that have died. It's basically upgrading the minions under the guise of caring about them.

I think Overlord 2 could've benefitted from a lot more personalisation. Few of the minions have any character outside the ones that stay in the lair, it would be nice for there to be slight variations in personality and character beyond just the colour types. Also having the mistresses *do something* - you got to be Overlord of the Bedroom in the first game, in this one, none of that. Dammit.

Was he reviewing Overlord 2 or the first one?

Pretty spunky an succinct installment. I like it. (This episode. I haven't played the game.)

Overlord is just like fable. Full of linear worlds and epic big feet colorful ninjas.

Uhm, I can't say that I played Overlord 2 yet (but I will!) but I did play Overlord 1 and that was a pretty awesome game, it was linear and all that but it had something a lot of other games are MISSING or are doing it WRONG, HUMOUR... just totally loved most of the bosses, I think there was a fat one that was trying to roll over you and stuff like that, and there were also 2 "Main Concubines" you chould choose from (apparently there aren't in this game?) and they always wanted new stuff, you could upgrade their room in your castle for some "happy time".

Also the controls were fine, maybe you needed like 5 minutes to actually get used to them OR PLAY THE DAMN TUTORIAL but I guess that's asking too much today where games are being cut down so even the last idiot can pick it up and play it immediately without even turning on his brain or his hand-eye coordination, also I've seen much worse in Adventures, RPGs and other Strategy games...

"It's my canabalism that does that."
i really laughed long on that joke (my brother came looking what was going on)

Overlord 2 is a great game, and it has bad faults, but he complains about the Computer Version, try the Console versions, on Xbox 360 the game runs great and the minion control is very simple

Wow, that almost felt like a review.

The Keeper:
The Pope is lawful evil, huh?

Nice to know that Yahtzee is still a little child at heart. Then again, it's games that he excels in, and not worldly issues.

Lol, offended much?

Which was the ZP episode that had the "extrrrrravaganza" bit? I'm trying to find it but I don't remember which one it is.
Just asking.

I have the game on PC and it's a lot of fun. I know the Yahtzee is talking about, and a lot of people have trouble with it because of the mouse. The game is designed for a controller - if you have one, hook it up to your PC (an Xbox controller works fine), and use that. I think you'll find the experience a good deal smoother. The game definitely has some issues with polish as well as "where to go and what to do next", but it's got a lot of charm and the morality system (i.e. dominate vs. destroy) is a cute satire.

It is definitely lacking in strategy, though. Most of the time you can get away with just holding the right trigger and letting your guys do their thing. I think the move towards larger horde sizes later in the game, about 25+, starts to move the game towards being a standard action affair. By contrast, I think the original one topped you off at 20 minions, which is more or less what you start out with in the sequel.

Another minor issue is that it has pretensions of being a less linear game that it is; you have to be pretty blind to miss a lot of the stuff in it, so there's very rarely a reason to return to earlier parts, and almost all branching paths lead to dead ends.

CounterAttack:
Which was the ZP episode that had the "extrrrrravaganza" bit? I'm trying to find it but I don't remember which one it is.
Just asking.

Super smash brothers brawl

Nazulu:
Hold on, you make linearity sound like a really bad thing. All well, Good stuff Yahtzee.

MeXR:
i really enjoyed today's episode
but i have a question... who the hell is this guy at 0:33?????
i have seen him in almost every episode of ZP

I have a question for you. What is that you put as your avatar? I swear I see that thing everywhere while surfing the net.

it's called Shoop-Da-Whoop and it shoots lasers out of his mouth
yes its stupid, i only put it as an avatar cuz it looks funny XD.

now could someone please answer my question?

MeXR:

Nazulu:
Hold on, you make linearity sound like a really bad thing. All well, Good stuff Yahtzee.

MeXR:
i really enjoyed today's episode
but i have a question... who the hell is this guy at 0:33?????
i have seen him in almost every episode of ZP

I have a question for you. What is that you put as your avatar? I swear I see that thing everywhere while surfing the net.

it's called Shoop-Da-Whoop and it shoots lasers out of his mouth
yes its stupid, i only put it as an avatar cuz it looks funny XD.

now could someone please answer my question?

Yeah I figured that one out not too long ago. I find it a flipping hilarious picture, cartoon style crazy always gets me like in Ren & Stimpy. Thanks though, appreciate it.

Unfortunately I have no idea who that guy is either, maybe you can bring up a thread on it.

Video does not work here :(

The movies do not work if you have installed the latest version of firefox.
You can try internet explorer for the time it is not fixed yet.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here