Rebecca Mayes Muses: The Sims 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I discovered Rebecca's music way back (http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes.htm) and became a big fan. It's very artistic and experimental. The songs aren't reviews as such, but rather attempt to evoke her own personal experiences of playing games. I find them absolutely fascinating.

I seem to have much higher standards for quality than most.

Because I wasn't entertained by this in the least.

I have the say the vocal range you chose for the lyric "I see you" was quite annoying over time there is harmonious high and then there is annoying high. I can see this being a good idea because this is an emulation of Screwattack's hired singer to make songs out of theme songs and even That guy with the glasses also does a parody.

Hope to see more work from you because I'd rather see people succeed than fail.

Baby Tea:
I don't get it.
Was it meant to be funny?
Meaningful?
Silly?
Stupid?

I'll confess that I stopped about halfway through, and started skipping ahead in intervals.
I still didn't get it. And the vocals bugged the crap out of me.

But maybe that's just me.

I have to agree with this.

At the moment, I'm even less enthused about this new feature than I was about the first episode of Apocalypse Lane, which started out bad, but was clearly competent. This, unfortunately, was just flat-out vexatious.

SODAssault:

Baby Tea:
I don't get it.
Meaningful?
Silly?
Stupid?

I'll confess that I stopped about halfway through, and started skipping ahead in intervals.

At the moment, I'm even less enthused about this new feature than I was about the first episode of Apocalypse Lane, which started out bad, but was clearly competent. This, unfortunately, was just flat-out vexatious.

I'm gonna have to agree with the two of you on this one.

I found it to be an okay thing to do, writing pop-based songs about gaming, but I don't really see the point in it. If it was meant to be funny it wasn't, and if it was meant to be intelligent it wasn't, I just have no idea what it was meant to be. It's purpose isn't obvious like ZP, Unskippable, There Will Be Brawl or Doomsday Arcade and it's just confusing me like hell.

Oh, and at least Apocalypse Lane has now started to become redeeming. May give this a few more chances to see if it perks up though.

Certainly an interesting idea, the music is a bit bland though. How bout trying it with an actual band instead of using plastic sounding loops? Or at least use some better ones.

Not bad though, if it could be a bit improved, I might get the hang of this.

Uh.. okay.

The Sims is really taking a poudning on this site, if it had an intro Unskippable would have done it already!

As for this song, a bit long but I like the concept BUT of course more detailed verses about its gameplay cliche is what a lot of people would expect, the joke on expansion packs being near that.

Basically I'm not sure what you want people to get from it. Is it supposed to be funny? Sad? Heck, a commentary?

Hmm. I think I liked it I don't know. It's not really my usual style of music but I think I enjoyed it despite the vocals beginning to grate on me a little.

An interesting and novel idea doing music about games, I'd like to see more.

The flying crap? I saw a picture of her using an acoustic guitar and another one on the pictures on the right and I was treated to a song that practically never used it.

I watched around 30 seconds. I guess the sound just didn't really get to me.

...Interesting. This could be an awesome series, and I'm interested to see how it turns out in the next few weeks.

sneak_copter:
Wow... did anybody else get the feeling of an overflowing ego?

She's a musician who writes game reviews and has the balls to put them up in song form on the internet. There's bound to be some kind of ego there. Although a bit of ego can go a long way.

I'm confused... Aren't there hundreds of game-related songs on YouTube already?

I mean, I can drop a list of people who've done Mario Kart songs alone, if you want...

Zombie_Fish:

SODAssault:

Baby Tea:
I don't get it.
Meaningful?
Silly?
Stupid?

I'm gonna have to agree with the two of you on this one.

I found it to be an okay thing to do, writing pop-based songs about gaming, but I don't really see the point in it. If it was meant to be funny it wasn't, and if it was meant to be intelligent it wasn't, I just have no idea what it was meant to be. It's purpose isn't obvious like ZP, Unskippable, There Will Be Brawl or Doomsday Arcade and it's just confusing me like hell.

Oh, and at least Apocalypse Lane has now started to become redeeming. May give this a few more chances to see if it perks up though.

I'll add a fourth to that.

I usually don't like to knock on escapist videos (I don't even like Unskippable...), but this was YouTube quality stuff.

my opinion... it sounded way to "good" as a pop song, i assumed it was to be funny (granted im not a sims guy so maybe it went over my head) but i didnt really laugh i did notice her recording is better than my bands(i know that doesnt say much for my band) it may also be that everything i like here is to some degree asinine and this felt almost to genuine?! maybe? ... hmm i digress, but ill be back for more just to see where this is going
oh snap ive got a ??? is this gonna cross music genres i could see that piqueing my interest
any ways, Good Luck, Keep On Trucking

Interesting. It's good to get a new flow of creative juices into the site.

damn i posted then read... im bad about that
this link http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes.htm is more of her/your stuff
i realized im not your target audience
non the less, "do ur thang" (bleh that tasted stupid)
what i mean is "rock on" Mayes (damn that was barely better, but i give up)

Xvito:

Baby Tea:
I don't get it.
Meaningful?
Silly?
Stupid?

It's not just you... Believe me.

I just found it to be very weird... What was that!? It wasn't exactly my kind of music either.

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

I'll admit that this was how I was feeling as well. Not trying to be mean; just honest.

Sounds like the Plants vs Zombies theme has some competition.

Not a bad addition to the escapist line up :D, Welcome! i have a note though, i could barely hear ya! (that might be my speakers or something) but the subtitles were helpful :)

I for one think it means something that most of these posts can be summed up as 'ehhhh it was okay' followed by a more enthusiastic 'but make more videos!'
People didn't really like it because it wasn't particularly good, but they don't want to discourage Rebecca from making more because they want to continue looking at her cute little face. And judging by the sparse content of the song and her frequent seductive glances at the camera (not to mention the toga), I'd say Rebecca is fine with that.

P.S. Any relation to the late Billy? If so, you don't need to be cute or make good videos to win my support. Otherwise, good luck.

Nice can't wait for next installment.

I don't like it, it's too...errr...crap

It was actually pretty good :)

I'm addicted to this song now, I think if she keeps changing style per song it can be quite big.

Yeah, I don't usually like new things or change or anything like that, but that was actually pretty good. Gaming-related chillout. Love it. Can I also echo a request for an mp3 of this? I need some more music to just top off my iPod :P

Waw, this is awesome. Totally different from anthing else found on the Escapist. Both the music, video and lyrics are well done. Keep this up!

Hmm I don't think that some people are going to watch to this for the music... what are you doing in the bushes???

Glademaster:
Hmm I don't think that some people are going to watch to this for the music... what are you doing in the bushes???

So glad some one else was thinking that oh well it a site for geeks.

that was cool, original too, great job. mmm muffins

davelgil:
I discovered Rebecca's music way back (http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes.htm) and became a big fan. It's very artistic and experimental. The songs aren't reviews as such, but rather attempt to evoke her own personal experiences of playing games. I find them absolutely fascinating.

....Is your name Rebecca Mayes?

I thought it was really good.
There was a little bit of repeated lyrics but its b/c its a song, its called a chorus!

i enjoyed it, its a unique was to review a game.

Brilliant! Where can I find more of her?

I like it as well, keep them coming! Welcome to the escapist. I like this creative stuff a lot more than some of the really unfunny stuff on this site or the whiny moviebob with his poor video making skills, his distasful background and his annoying whiny voice.

AH yeah, and you also very pretty. Good to see pretty stuff once in a while. Kinda tired of all the depressing and ugly. Beautiful is fine. Im making no sense at all...arf, w/e.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here