Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

This week MovieBob takes a look at the latest in the Harry Potter series: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Watch Video

When dinosaurs walked the Earth looks like an awesome movie.

Just what I expected for the last five then; no surprises here.

Though I do find that I don't mind all the the romance bullshit in Harry Potter like I do most other things. Maybe because there's some actual, halfway realistic buildup before enternal pledges of love and happiness forever. Still not all that interesting a concept, as I find it hard to reconsile my own experiences of love with movies in the first place, but at least this series manages to make it less annoying for me to have to watch/read to get to the rest of the plot.

How very nice that you ruined the movie for anyone who has yet to watch it... I dunno, in a different country that has yet to premiere it?

You.

Don't.

Put.

SPOILERS

In a review. Especially something from the last few minutes of the movie.

Still, it's not that big of a discovery that if you didn't watch the first movie, you are not going to watch the 6th one... The general rule for ANY film or book series. Matrix, LotR, Star Wars...

edit: Not saying that you've ruined it for me, because I have read all the books (except for the 7th, I have it on my desk, waiting for the movie first to refresh my memory).

who the hell is jane lane

and awesome, review/critic thingy....

Abedeus:
How very nice that you ruined the movie for anyone who has yet to watch it... I dunno, in a different country that has yet to premiere it?

You.

Don't.

Put.

SPOILERS

In a review. Especially something from the last few minutes of the movie.

Except with this franchise anyone who cares already knows what happens, so it's not an especially big deal unless you've forgotten.

Those who don't know by now most likely won't care, as they've more than likely never bought into the Potter hype and don't feel as though their very soul was pissed on just because they learned something before reading/viewing the material.

Xandus117:
When dinosaurs walked the Earth looks like an awesome movie.

Yay! I got first comment!

it does looks very good... movie bod should do that next, also i dont like harry potter :S

I would think the Harry Potter series is about the one film series you can put spoilers in a review for. Lets be honest anyone who really cares about going to see the film would have read the book and knows what's going to happen.
Which is a point that wasn't raised - the film totally deviates from the book, massively so.

You know, I tried reading the books. I liked book 1-4, and hated Harry's character in book 5.
Well, the first 100 or so pages of book 5. So I put the thing down.

And the movies seem to be following the trend. The first few were ok, and now I couldn't care less.
You were right Bob, it didn't matter what you said.

jebbo:
I would think the Harry Potter series is about the one film series you can put spoilers in a review for. Lets be honest anyone who really cares about going to see the film would have read the book and knows what's going to happen.
Which is a point that wasn't raised - the film totally deviates from the book, massively so.

welcome, to the escapist, ignore the body and trolls

and enjoy your stay here at hotel escapist

I'll probably see this when it comes out on DVD, I don't care otherwise.

Harry's character is pretty hatable. Is that a word? The movies have don't put that character trait across - probably for the kids - but he is a bit of a knob in the books

Well you didn't disappoint. You really liked the movie, while I thought it was meh.
So my idea of just taking the opposite of what you say worked!

Baby Tea:
You know, I tried reading the books. I liked book 1-4, and hated Harry's character in book 5.
Well, the first 100 or so pages of book 5. So I put the thing down.

And the movies seem to be following the trend. The first few were ok, and now I couldn't care less.
You were right Bob, it didn't matter what you said.

O wow I'm glad I'm not alone.

Good review, but there are 7 books, where the hell is the eigth movie coming from?

EDIT: Why are a lot of the transitions pixelated?

Ive never been a harry pottter kinda guy, mostly because of all the "middle" things he was talking about. I did like The Goblet of Fire though; anyways great review.

tsfkingsport:
Good review, but there are 7 books, where the hell is the eigth movie coming from?

EDIT: Why are a lot of the transitions pixelated?

They're splitting the last book into two movies, because the production people suddenly care about getting all the details of it in.

I think the transitions being pixelated might have something to do with Bob's compression techinique/choices with the video before uploading it. But don't quote me on that; I'm not much of a video posting kind of savvy.

Great movie. I saw it today and I thought it was brilliant. It is worth how much it costs to get in. I missed the last two and I still knew what the hell was going on (Even though I dont read the books) and has its humorous moments.

The problem with adapting any work of literature into film form is that you have to cut out a sizable amount and stretch out another to make it work. It's really easy to do it with the romantic aspect because it's what the fangirls go crazy for and the reason they shell out the money to see these kind of films.

Cynicism aside, it's a given in films so constant that they pretty much get a free pass as long as the action's good In the case of Pearl Harbor and the recent Star Wars Trilogy, however, the love story was too pretentious for it's own good and weighed down the really good action scenes. I can't think of one movie right now where the action actually made up for the pretentious love story.

thisnameistaken2:

Wh-what? Daria, man. You never saw Daria? Oh, wait--1993--you might be too young for that show, I guess?

Anyway, all the other HP movies have sucked so I probably won't see it--at least not in theaters. It frustrates me when they stuff in and hurry through plotpoints--or just leave them out completely--and then spend the rest of the movie dicking around.

historybuff:

thisnameistaken2:

Wh-what? Daria, man. You never saw Daria? Oh, wait--1993--you might be too young for that show, I guess?

Anyway, all the other HP movies have sucked so I probably won't see it--at least not in theaters. It frustrates me when they stuff in and hurry through plotpoints--or just leave them out completely--and then spend the rest of the movie dicking around.

ive seen parts, just never knew the name... strange

What can I say; you hit the nail firmly on the head.

Is it me or has the image sync been off with escape to the movies in the last few installments?

I suppose my main issue with the movie is the fact that it is supposed to be about Tom Riddle and his past, yet they focused only on the romance aspect. Not to mention that they added several scenes which not even remotely happened in the books.

I don't mind the cutting of some unimportant scenes, regardless of how awesome they may have been. What I do mind is when they cut out the main plot in order to have more ron romance time.

Heh, so true about film 3 being the best. Book 3 was the strongest as well.

Abedeus:
How very nice that you ruined the movie for anyone who has yet to watch it... I dunno, in a different country that has yet to premiere it

I go back and forth on spoilers, usually opting to skip them entirely. In the case of this one, I figured there's really only TWO things you can "give away," one of which I didn't bring up and the other of which is more-or-less already in the trailer. Unfortunately, some movies (like this one) kind of "are" their plot, so it's nearly impossible to discuss them without mentioning details.

I agree totally. I was like "Ugh, I don't really want to see this, but the person who plays Ginny is hot stuff so what the fuck, lets do it. Especially after the last movie." *Shudders*

But yeah, I was pleasantly suprised.

hooblabla6262:
I suppose my main issue with the movie is the fact that it is supposed to be about Tom Riddle and his past, yet they focused only on the romance aspect. Not to mention that they added several scenes which not even remotely happened in the books.

I don't mind the cutting of some unimportant scenes, regardless of how awesome they may have been. What I do mind is when they cut out the main plot in order to have more ron romance time.

I'l agree in part. I'm not against the romance aspect because it was an important part of character development within the book. It was overplayed in the film perhaps but I don't think it got in the way of anything, and it was about the only part of the film that matched with the source material.
What narks me is totally missing out key scenes or changing them so much the dynamic of the story is changed, and adding in crap that didn't happen. I mean burning down the Weasley's house? I'm know that never happened because I read the bloody book a week ago to remind myself of the story
Oh and MISSING OUT THE GREAT BLOODY FIGHT SCENE AT THE END?!?!?!?! If there was anything that film needed more of it was action and they skipped out a whopping great fight in the middle of the great hall. Ejits.

Souplex:
Is it me or has the image sync been off with escape to the movies in the last few installments?

It's not just you. Can anyone from escapist possibly comment on this? It's pretty blatantly obvious that the timing is off, in that there are some blocks of texts that were obviously meant to be read that just flash on and off screen in 1/15th of a second.

*edit* for example in this review after the bit about the dinosaur movie when it says "Uh bob?" then flashes to an image of the HP movie poster it seems a little (if not a lot) off. Also when he's mentioning hairy potter's father figures it's already on the image of the pokemon, which he doesn't talk about til like 2 seconds later.

Hrm, most people I know hated it.

The main problem I've heard, is that the death eaters have been turned from a menacing and deadly force to what are essentially vandals. Attack hogwarts en-masse? To do what? break glass and start fires. Attack the human world to do what? Break glass and start fires. whuppity flipping doo. I especially like how the huge bridge jam packed with people was somehow cleared in 5 seconds flat before it fall.

I've also heard that the pacing's very fucked up. And they used absolutely ludacris logic to explain plot holes in the places where they differed from the books.

Bah, I stopped caring about HP movies around the time the 5th on hit the cinema.

When you did your Watchmen review, with you actually in front of the camera, things were fine. Here when you do video imagery tomfoolery we get much lower quality; things flashing by too fast to read, images that get pixellated to the point of incomprehensibility, bits of video that come too early or too late...
Why not go back to being in front of the camera. Please?

No qualms about the actual review, I thought it was a good movie too. I will admit that I disagree about number 3 being the best film. It needlessly meddled with the story too much IMO

The Harry Potter films should consist of Wizards shooting that plasma goo out of their wands at each other...

...wow...I really didn't mean it THAT way. Paging Dr.Freud! LOL ...

...and those black wraith things flying all over the place with black smoke/vapor trailing behind them. That would be awesome!

I really enjoy these reviews, but is there anyway we can get Movie Bob some better recording equipment, the sound quality is pretty bad...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here