Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

L.B. Jeffries:
Heh, so true about film 3 being the best. Book 3 was the strongest as well.

By far for both. Even with time travel as a major plot point. It still had the "weird wizard fun" but underscored it with just enough serious character development and drama.

Jallis370:
Why is this cheap Yahtzee copy still flying around here?

Sound is bad, pictures are not properly synked, I see big squares in the graphix all the time, his method is allmost identical with another one on this site and he doesn't do a good job of copying it either.

First of all: ENOUGH WITH THE YAHTZEE BULLSHIT!!! They both use pictures to help make points in their reviews. Since when was Yahtzee the first person to do that. I myself made a shitty rant about an episode of Avatar The Last Airbender using pictures to convey my message EONS before I've heard of either of them.

Second of all: If you don't like his reviews, DON'T WATCH THEM!!!

Third of all: He's been doing this for over a year before joining the Escapist. It's called Youtube.

I liked Half Blood Prince, but it's WAY too easy to nitpick.

Orange Monkey:
Just think i should mention that Luna Lovegood is brilliant beyond belief and deserves her own book/movie.

Amen

weirdaljedifan2:

Jallis370:

Sound is bad, pictures are not properly synked, I see big squares in the graphix all the time, his method is allmost identical with another one on this site and he doesn't do a good job of copying it either.

First of all: ENOUGH WITH THE YAHTZEE BULLSHIT!!! They both use pictures to help make points in their reviews. Since when was Yahtzee the first person to do that. I myself made a shitty rant about an episode of Avatar The Last Airbender using pictures to convey my message EONS before I've heard of either of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZeZg0ujeE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fweirdaljedifan2&feature=player_profilepage

I'm not even sure if it's because of my effeminate personality here, but i had no problem with the focus in the movie being on Harry's relationship with his friends and teachers etc. Of all the aspects in films which need to consume time in being conveyed to an audience, relationships between characters are the most demanding.

Ultimately you cannot rush through cultivating them and still expect the same depth - although i agree that as a result, the overall drive of the narrative would be forced to slow down, perhaps too much for some people's liking.

But if you asked me if Harry Potter was principally an action movie, or a movie about how a teenager deals with an extraordinary and challenging life, I'd say the latter. Unfortunately the mere sequence of explosive events that constitutes the narrative just doesn't warrant the same degree of screen time. Imo.

Zukonub:

weirdaljedifan2:

Jallis370:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZeZg0ujeE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fweirdaljedifan2&feature=player_profilepage

Yeah that, it's amazing how much my voice has changed. (goes into hiding)

There's a simple way to review this movie IF you've read the books.

COMPLETE AND UTTER LETDOWN. How in the name of literature do you leave out what I consider THE ABSOLUTE BEST PART OF THE DAMN SERIES!? The big fight at the end that takes up three to four chapters of the book! Gone! Replaced with romantic filler for the main characters, WHICH wouldn't be too horrible if they hadn't gotten that COMPLETELY WRONG AS WELL! Seriously, did the director read a cliff notes version of only the 6th book, then watch Twilight, and go, "Hey, teens kissing makes money!"

If you haven't read the books and also had a hard-on for Twilight, then this movie is right up your young-adult, romance, HP fan-fiction "HarryxRonxDraco Lol", shit creek.

bickster:
it is no reason to get offensive, or go off the handle in anyway or attack on someone you don't even know. That is childish.

Oh, I really love this. :( You really do have to use chatlingo and emotes all over the place :) these days so people don't instantly ;) assume you want to rape their lol dog and eat their children, don't you? :D Or is this some kind of overblown ego, making you believe you are actually more then just a blip on another persons radar? -_- Get over yourself. <@:)

DUMBLEDORE DIES!!!"!"!¤)#%/&21742654 :DDDDDDDDD

I'm still waiting for Bob to realize that his codec is shit, or that whenever he's uploading these videos their timing and clarity is being destroyed.

Maybe swtiching back to 4:3 ratio would fix things, since his earlier work is still working just fine, but this stuff is getting glitched and pixalated and overall just ruined.

Like the joke at the end, Kidding shows up before he says it, ruining the joke, and that's just one example when pretty much every single line in this video is.

Nothing against the review, I like it a lot, but it would be better if the timing wasn't screwed over.

I agree with the statement that if you didn't like any of the previous Harry Potter movies, you will definitely not enjoy this one. I'll add to that that if you haven't seen any of the previous Harry Potter movies, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is not the first installment you should watch. I loved all previous movies but that definitely doesn't mean I enjoyed this one. The movie is boring and it has some of the worst dialogues I've ever seen. The few interesting moments are overshadowed by teen angsty conversations and love fools that can't stop giggling. There really doesn't happen anything story-wise either, up to the point that I can't even get my head around what genre this movie is. There's not enough story to make it a thriller, not enough humor to make it a comedy, not a enough action to make it an action movie. Including the break this movie took three hours of my life, and I want them back.

I personally thought the third Harry Potter movie was the worst one, but then I'm a huge fan of the books...

yankeefan19:
I personally thought the third Harry Potter movie was the worst one, but then I'm a huge fan of the books...

I actually haven't read any of the books. I did read The Lord of the Rings and haven't seen any of the movies so I figure that makes up for things.

Go hot goth girls!

Anaphyis:

bickster:
it is no reason to get offensive, or go off the handle in anyway or attack on someone you don't even know. That is childish.

Oh, I really love this. :( You really do have to use chatlingo and emotes all over the place :) these days so people don't instantly ;) assume you want to rape their lol dog and eat their children, don't you? :D Or is this some kind of overblown ego, making you believe you are actually more then just a blip on another persons radar? -_- Get over yourself. <@:)

You're one of those people who like to THINK they know other people. It's the classical arguement for when one may/may not have believed they have offended someone and the person replies back saying the reaction was slighty overblown and out of proportion, to then respond that because of it being typed in text that your response was in fact taken out of context from what it should be.

So then you will procede to reply, attempting to place the blame on the other person making claims about their life and becoming an attempted "cold and assholish" of a person in order to keep themselves feeling better and then continuing by telling the person who in the first place said, your original comment was just a little too much as the person who needs to grow up or get over themselves. Well that being the case at hand is fine cause I nor do I doubt anyone else actually seeks your approval nor cares in the case of what you or pretty near anyone else has to say.

So if you don't like a simple critique that one member of a vast sea of members that is likely not even to be read by the person it was intended towards ... simply move on with your day and learn to understand that your view is not the only one and everyone else in this world has an opinion.

What about those of us into Harry Potter, who are desperately waiting for a good one to come out?

This one had better editing than its immediate predecessor which gutted every last one of its major interesting sub-plots, but it still dragged and I still remain unconvinced that this should not have been a mini-series instead of a movie.

The Fifth movie almost had me in an ulcer. What they did to that book was analogous to having your dinner thrown out before you get to eat and being left with nothing but the plate and drippings.

Yeah. Also I like his reviews for the most part, though I think the fast talking is unnecessary, but for the love of god can the pacing be improved? Pictures and text are being thrown around like it was edited in the midst of a seizure

:s

Incidentally, I thought Half Blood Prince was the worst of the Harry Potter films. Like Movie Bob said, too much of that teenage hormone lovey crap that, like Movie Bob, I didn't any tolerance for even WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER, mostly because I felt left out. But the biggest problem was not that, it was they left out far too much important plot information, and since I haven't read any of the books beyond the first one, it left me completely in the dark. For Example

I enjoyed the movies when the main actors were kids (i.e. The Sorcerer's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets), now the movie just feels like the script writer has an undisclosed case of schizophrenia and is a fan of horribly written fanfiction that somehow made it big..*cough*Twilight*cough* since it constantly skips around to the different viewpoints of the characters (which there always seems to be more of every installment), and the MAIN characters struggling with personal issues (with each other or other characters). Speaking of characters, the movies were fine and easy to follow when we had a set amount of characters (between 5 and 10) that were easily developed and likable or relatable, now there are so many new characters that are constantly thrown at the audience at the beginning of each new movie (then somehow killed at the end) that it can get overwhelming at times.

The plot seems to be getting stale as well. From what I've heard/read/gathered from the Harry Potter series, the main plot line is that of a young boy whom one day finds out that he is a wizard and that his parents were killed by an evil wizard a long time ago. So he's now on a quest to avenge his parents and stop this wizard (who was apparently dead before this series of unfortunate events began anyway) and prevent him from destroying the world. A classic tale of revenge that could have easily been collapsed into a two (maybe three) series. But, somehow, this plot line had managed to span seven books, each one longer than the last.

I'm not saying that Harry Potter is bad, it just gets boring, and at times can seem like the idea train screeches to a halt in the middle of the plot line because the tracks suddenly branched off into seventeen different directions only to loop around and end at the same conclusion. I can only guess that people still go to these kind of movies for two things: Fanservice or Visual Effects. Because the stories sure don't drive them anymore.

In response to the witchcraft comment you made (which I know you expected to be commented on), yes, a goth, emo, witch, etc. version of Harry Potter does exist. Its called My Immortal. And its horrible.

I had to laugh my ass off at your review, very funny.

Also absolutely love that someone out there remember "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" when i was growing up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here