Activision vs. Sony

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Activision vs. Sony

The PS3 started off with a bang, but is fast becoming a whimper.

Read Full Article

Hmm interesting, Let me read that again

Yeah your right, It just costs so much and really no one shell out that much, when a cheaper system can get about the same game for less cash. So making less games is kinda of a logical move, but shocking

Shamus Young:
Imagine if the PS3 was leading the pack and dominating the market instead of the Wii. The PS3 would then be the prime target for developers. Porting from the outlandish hardware down to the other platforms would be a painful expense, and the resulting games would look a lot worse than the original PS3 version. A lot of companies wouldn't even bother doing that extra effort to pick up a few extra sales from the second and third string systems. A dominating PS3 would choke out its rivals. It wouldn't be the incompatible system, they would be. This would drive even more people to the platform as they sought to get their hands on all those PS3 exclusives.

That's pure gold!

Sorry for the double post

Very good point about the Blu-ray win, that will prove much more profitable in the long run. I can understand sonys stubborn behavior with this console. Its the bugatti veyron of consoles, its a show piece of engineering not priced for everyones wallets. I dont get console wars, specially on the consumer side. I guess it would have helped if sony had just been honest about their console not being for everyone.

I like how Kotick says that the Ps3 is too expensive when the games his company are making cost like 120 bucks in retail. He's such a hypocrite... It's good marketing though.

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

This does not bode well for Pony.

Interesting, but I think you're wrong on Blu Ray, I thinks it's going to turn into something of a loss for Sony.

It's only going to last until movie downloads become widespread, at which point it could find itself as the uncomfortable half way between cheap and easy to find DVD's and cheap and easy to find HD downloads.
The (legal) choices for downloads aren't massive at the moment but they're no worse than Blu Ray. I think a lot of technophiles are just going skip Blu Ray and go straight to downloaded movies they can watch on any screen in the house.

totally makes sense, and it's a bit of schadenfreude how it turned out in the end..

like you said though, Sony's not going anywhere, even if they come in dead last in the console wars this time

and Xbox will definitely go blu-ray next gen, unless they decide as a company that HD isn't the way to go. like you said before, that wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't think it's likely at all.

fix-the-spade:
Interesting, but I think you're wrong on Blu Ray, I thinks it's going to turn into something of a loss for Sony.

It's only going to last until movie downloads become widespread, at which point it could find itself as the uncomfortable half way between cheap and easy to find DVD's and cheap and easy to find HD downloads.
The (legal) choices for downloads aren't massive at the moment but they're no worse than Blu Ray. I think a lot of technophiles are just going skip Blu Ray and go straight to downloaded movies they can watch on any screen in the house.

I'm not sure, the huge majority of movie buyers like the feeling of a disc or cassette in their hands, and downloading true high def movies takes a LOT of bandwidth.. way more then I'd be willing to sacrifice (one bluray can hold almost 50g worth of data, which, even with my high speed internet would shut my internet down with a single download), not to mention the storage issues.. even a 1tb HD would only hold 20 blu ray movies.

Maybe if/when bandwidth isn't an issue anymore (and for some people it isn't, but most people, if they were to look into it, they probably have a bandwidth cap somewhere in their ISP agreement.. it's probably some number that's unreachable without some serious downloading, mine is 60-70gb a month), then MAYBE downloading will take complete precidence.

You may say "Well, technophiles can use codecs to lower the size of the files".. well, technophiles want their super high definition experience to be as super high definition as it can be, and currently, the easiest and most economical way for all involved, to do that, is via a blu ray disc.

fix-the-spade:

Yeah, that's really not going to happen.

You're forgetting that the majority of ISP providers in the U.S. have put a cap on how much you can download a month and an HD movie isn't something that is going to work. You're also forgetting that people said the exact same thing (Microsoft) about this generation and... we're 4 years in.

More flamebait huh?
Did Kotick make another threat or are you talking about the same one he made a month ago.
Surely some developer has said something inflammatory about the ps3 in the past week, why dig this up?

Shamus Young:
(And it will be very interesting to see what Microsoft does in the next generation. Will they stick with DVD drives, or will they swallow their pride and stick a Blu-ray in the thing?)

Yes, I'd like to see what happens with that as well. If MS decides to go Blu-ray Sony will make some serious royalties off of MS.

You are no longer allowed to speak, people of Activision. You were making high priced games in the UK, just to exploit them. So I couldn't give a crap what you have to say.

Really, asking for a price drop when you want to charge so much damn money for your next Guitar Hero or DJ Hero or whatever is unfair. I can tell they didn't want to start flamewars, as said in the article, but really now. That's just hypocrisy at it's lowest.

altorian:
ALL ps3 discs hold 50gb, but they are all dual layer, blu-ray movies ARENT all 50gb, in fact most arent, they only hold 25gb, and even then most rarely take up more than 10 or 15gb of that space, and must of that is special features, the movies themselves are only a fraction of that (with many coming in at less than 5gb). at 100Mbps (or around 12MBps) your talking 120mb of data downloaded in 10 seconds, with 1.2gb downloaded in 100 seconds (a little over a minute and a half) and 12gb downloaded in 1000 seconds (less than 20 minutes). and the ONLY reason us isp's DONT have 100Mbps connections is because they dont want to, yet the uk and japan both have 100Mbps connections for what the us pays for 20Mbps, and the tech for 300+ Mbps IS out there now.

my point is this, on current available instructure its perfectly feasible to download hd movies, and another fact is that blu-ray isnt actually doing so hot BECAUSE of streaming movies, and streaming movies is going to kill physical media.

ratix2:
altorian:
ALL ps3 discs hold 50gb, but they are all dual layer, blu-ray movies ARENT all 50gb, in fact most arent, they only hold 25gb, and even then most rarely take up more than 10 or 15gb of that space, and must of that is special features, the movies themselves are only a fraction of that (with many coming in at less than 5gb). at 100Mbps (or around 12MBps) your talking 120mb of data downloaded in 10 seconds, with 1.2gb downloaded in 100 seconds (a little over a minute and a half) and 12gb downloaded in 1000 seconds (less than 20 minutes). and the ONLY reason us isp's DONT have 100Mbps connections is because they dont want to, yet the uk and japan both have 100Mbps connections for what the us pays for 20Mbps, and the tech for 300+ Mbps IS out there now.

my point is this, on current available instructure its perfectly feasible to download hd movies, and another fact is that blu-ray isnt actually doing so hot BECAUSE of streaming movies, and streaming movies is going to kill physical media.

I don't know about that. I can't stand the thought of owning something I don't have a physical hardcopy of. Incase of a crash, there it all goes out the window.

Plus, since Blu ray can hold so much data, it may become quite popular among people who need alot of stuff stored.

I'm going with what Bioware devs say, in that Activision are stupid for having said that, as for the long term, Sony may still come out okay, considering that the console is only 3 years old, and Wii is hitting dev issues (NMH not remaining on Wii, no MW2, publishers ignoring it).
Compared to the 360, the PS3 has sold more in it's lifespan than the 360 had in a relative comparison to release date, something most people like to ignore.
Granted in the long run bluray will be very interesting. Either MS and maybe Nintendo will have to pay some nice royalties, or they may try to jump straight to a flash format to avoid paying the competition.

Why all these little arguments ?

because people reject there inner commen sense which should be telling them that this is simply another peice of news that will go as fast as it came and how it really is all meanignless.

Just accept that Sony and Activison are just having some friction against each other right now nothing to prove or say about.

and one quick joke : Activison need to clean up their "Act" and reinstate their "Vision"

ratix2:
altorian:

MKV files are all generally 12+gb, and that's just the main movie.
A 45min TV 720p episode is 1.04gb, so go figure how much a 2hour 1080p file is going to be.
Plus, downloading HD movies is rediculous at this moment in time. Look at Steam, when they ever have free UT3 weekends, the whole system freezes up with download requests. Now imagine what would happen every time a popular movie is released, which would be easily over 15gb with extra features.
Plus, almost every survey has shown that people prefer physical media, as it's easy to buy it once and not worry about files or HDD's becoming corrupted etc. Not to mention, where are you going to find the room to store all your movies? At this moment in time, around 20 DVD's in .vob (lossless) format takes up around 250gb. Now imagine if I had my entire movie collection (40+) in HD. Unless 1TB HDDs become dirt cheap, and ISP remove their download fair user policy during peak times, streaming won't happen for many, many years.

1TB HDDs are dirt cheap , 60€ each and I have no download cap. Besides, I don't need to keep the files on my pc. All I need is a txt file which lists all the tv-shows, movies and games that I like, cause I can just redownload that stuff any time.

(Maybe I should make physical copies of some of my favorite stuff so I'll have it in 30 years, cause who knows, piracy may no longer be possible, the internet may collapse, whatever)

Personally, all I think Kotick was doing was blowing off some hot air. While, yes, people want the PS3 to drop the price to a more manageable size, all Kotick was doing was make it more awkward for everyone.

Activision threatens to cut support from the PS3. Does anyone else see how stupid that really is? As much as the PS3 is lagging behind a bit, cutting support for a respectable 23 million people isn't very good.

Not to mention the crux of the matter; Sony could easily cut support back. The Guitar Hero franchise pulls in big moolah for Activision, and many of the songs they get are from Sony. If Activision cut support from Sony, Sony could easily cut support back by refusing to let them use any songs, thus effectively ruining the franchise. They have more power then you think.

Field testing is in progress as we speak.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.125600#2618461

this is brilliant... i love it when you got thoughts floating round in the back of your head but you can never put them into words properly and then someone else does it for you...

Shamus Young:
Imagine if the PS3 was leading the pack and dominating the market instead of the Wii. The PS3 would then be the prime target for developers. Porting from the outlandish hardware down to the other platforms would be a painful expense, and the resulting games would look a lot worse than the original PS3 version. A lot of companies wouldn't even bother doing that extra effort to pick up a few extra sales from the second and third string systems. A dominating PS3 would choke out its rivals. It wouldn't be the incompatible system, they would be. This would drive even more people to the platform as they sought to get their hands on all those PS3 exclusives.

I'm of the mind that this was exactly the situation Sony envisioned. Somewhere along the line, the thought "We're Sony, and they'll put up with the trouble to develop for us, because we're Sony" must have crossed a highly-paid mind.

Sadly for Sony, thanks to a number of missteps that are entirely their own fault, they're the odd man out.

obisean:

For science!

At the end of the day this is *just* XBOX vs Playstation its not and never really will be MICROSOFT vs SONY as both companies are never going anywhere due to the fact that they have their fingers in so many pies. Yes, Sony has BLU RAY and may well make some royalties from a future XBOX using them. But jesus, is it going to be anymore than the amount of pc's working for sony that have windows and other microsoft apps working on them?

The only people that can lose this battle are the devs and publishers who rely solely on the console brands of these giant corporations so altho activision have made a brave statement ultimatly they are the only ones who have anything to lose.

Streaming is interesting but not feasible as long as we have these 20gb/month caps in Belgium.

So I do believe we will quickly need a new medium. (PC) games are now put on discs of 6 gb. Some on 2 discs. About time we move on to Blu-Ray for games. And a new medium in a decade. Place for more pretty graphics on these fancy discs! We just need cheap blu-ray drives for our pcs. If a blu-ray reader hit the price of a dvd writer, I'll buy one.

Btw, just how exactly is Sony making money of Blu-Ray? Do player vendors have to pay a sum to Sony? A few pennies on each Blu-Ray movie sold?

Shamus Young:

obisean:

For science!

It got locked.... WTF...

Blu-Ray won the HD disc format war, but it wasn't really early in that war, and it isn't home free. Now it has to defeat DVD and digital movie distribution/streaming movies (like iTunes movies, Netflix Instant Watch, and on-demand programming from TV service providers).. so far it's not doing very well against DVD, and digital/streaming is just starting to pick up...

Credge:
ISP providers in the U.S. have put a cap on how much you can download a month and an HD movie isn't something that is going to work. You're also forgetting that people said the exact same thing (Microsoft) about this generation and... we're 4 years in.

They can't keep that up forever, not least because they'll lose business to the ISP's that don't cap. Here in the UK if an ISP contract doesn't have the words 'cheap' and 'unlimited' in it they can forget it, that has to find it's way to the US eventually.

The amounts people download are steadily going up and so are the speeds of connections, eventually it will get to a point where movies are easily downloadable for a lot of people. I'm not saying it's going to happen over night but it is happening, five years ago downloading entire games was mostly the preserve of software pirates. Now we have Steam, Direct2drive and co.

Just look at music, in 1995 most people would be pretty skeptical if you'd said by 2005 millions of customers would be downloading 70MB albums as a matter of routine and that CD singles would have almost vanished from the high street.

Saying it won't happen goes against the evidence as I see it. It already is happening, albeit slower than the marketing men would like.

fix-the-spade:
They can't keep that up forever, not least because they'll lose business to the ISP's that don't cap. Here in the UK if an ISP contract doesn't have the words 'cheap' and 'unlimited' in it they can forget it, that has to find it's way to the US eventually.

Sure they can, especially since this is something they've recently introduced.

The U.S., as well as most non-China countries (see what I did there?) do not have the infastructure to support this.

Further, there is a difference between an album (100MB) and a movie (20GB). You could fit about 204 albums in the space that one movie would take up, give or take depending on the size of the albums and the size of the movie. China doesn't even have that infastructure yet, and they have some of the best infastructure in the world. I think South Korea might have better, but I'm not sure.

Hmmmm I've always wondered why Sony kept insisting that they made the platform hard to develop for on purpose, and yours is definitley the most reasonable. Though I do disagree about the Blu-ray thing making Sony profit for decades. Hopefully something better than Blu-ray comes along in the next 5-10 years or so.

PEOPLE! quit your bitching about the price of the ps3. its only 100 dollers above a 360. the price keeps going down and down! they are expected to make a price drop in december or something. i am sick of hearing people complain its to expensive when its really not as expensive as they make it seem. how come the users, the people in the forums, the comunity are the only ones that support the ps3. gametrailers is too biased to even go into. one that really got to me was whrn G4 reviewed kz2 and they started off with this sentance.

"good news, ps3 fans now have something to buy other than heavenly sword figures and anti depressents".

fricken a. why are the big journalists and companys so hateful? why? if you have 1 good reason, please ime aaalll ears! The ps3 has become a force to be reckond with over the years with AAA titles like killzone 2 and inFAMOUS. just stop bitching and accept that its just as good as 360.

Shamus Young:
Activision vs. Sony

The PS3 started off with a bang

Actually, the PS3 has one of the worst launches/starts that is the #1 reason it's still doing bad today.

All this generation is really is a learning period for everyone. Sony to learn to be more humble. And Microsoft to be more patient. Hopefully they'll both learn from thier mistakes so thier next systems will be all the better.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went with HD-DVD instead of BluRay. Sure it would keep thier system from playing movies (unless they ported them over themself), but it really doesn't matter what format thier games are on. Still would be giving Sony the upper hand, but they've done that thier whole (console) life and still are in really good shape.

Shamus Young:

The PS3 started off with a bang...

I couldn't help but pretend to think you were referring to how someone got shot over a PS3 on the day of it's release.

That cunning and cutthroat business idea really is gold. Teaches me the lesson that if something stupid was not thought up by stupid people, then you're not seeing it.

New Troll:
All this generation is really is a learning period for everyone. Sony to learn to be more humble. And Microsoft to be more patient. Hopefully they'll both learn from thier mistakes so thier next systems will be all the better.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went with HD-DVD instead of BluRay. Sure it would keep thier system from playing movies (unless they ported them over themself), but it really doesn't matter what format thier games are on. Still would be giving Sony the upper hand, but they've done that thier whole (console) life and still are in really good shape.

Going HD-DVD would really fuck with the pirates too.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here