Activision vs. Sony

Pages PREV 1 2 3

LordSphinx:
I think BluRay will disappear once flash drives become the norm. A 256go flash drive (yup, such a thing exists already) is much better than a 50go dual layer BluRay Disc... And it will be common faster than we'd imagine, I'm sure. It just has to be cheaper to make. Also, data is transfered much faster on those than on discs, and it breaks less. Can't wait, the loading time will finally go down :)

I hadn't even considered this. I don't think another disk-based format will threaten BR for years, but you are right: A simple flash drive may well end up having higher storage, AND be cheaper to produce, AND have faster access times, AND work with portable devices, AND require a tiny fraction of the voltage of a BR drive, AND not owe any licensing tribute to Sony.

This never dawned on me. Very interesting.

LordSphinx:
I think BluRay will disappear once flash drives become the norm. A 256go flash drive (yup, such a thing exists already) is much better than a 50go dual layer BluRay Disc... And it will be common faster than we'd imagine, I'm sure. It just has to be cheaper to make. Also, data is transfered much faster on those than on discs, and it breaks less. Can't wait, the loading time will finally go down :)

I doubt it. Only those not in the know would completely rely on flash drives. You need physical backups of data. It can't all be digital. What happens if your computer crashes? You lose all that data?

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't just be throwing away blu ray because Sony supports it.

Shamus Young:

LordSphinx:

I hadn't even considered this. I don't think another disk-based format will threaten BR for years, but you are right: A simple flash drive may well end up having higher storage, AND be cheaper to produce, AND have faster access times, AND work with portable devices, AND require a tiny fraction of the voltage of a BR drive, AND not owe any licensing tribute to Sony.

This never dawned on me. Very interesting.

Eh, either way Blu-Ray sales are up nearly double. Oy, I was waiting to use that article, so good!

I really don't think Sony has any problems with their number of units sold.

Here's an announcement of their sales figure as at 20th Feb, 2009 - With 21 million units sold:
http://www.psu.com/PS3-global-sales-top-21-million,-says-Sony-News--a006508-p0.php

Here is an article posted on the 28th May, 2009 for the Xbox360 - 30 million units sold:
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Global_Xbox_360_Sales_Cross_30_Million_Mark/4872

While there is still a gap between the two sale figures, we must also consider that the Xbox360 has been out for 3 years, and the PS3 has been out for 2 years, so their sale rates is actually very similar.

Also, with all the upcoming exclusives line up on the PS3, who knows what will happen after another year or two.

Man I really love reading these, I follow Experienced Points regularly and on the whole, this and the other features is what really distinguishes The Escapist from other gaming sites. While other sites bore me with NPD's and Japanese software stats, I can get informed opinion here and it's becoming a rarer commodity everyday.

However, one line confused me:

"Even if they were able to slash the price down below Xbox 360 levels, it would take a while for the increased sales to grow the user base enough to attract more developers."

It's confusing because not only does the PS3 enjoy nearly every 3rd party experience offered on the 360, at this point it seems to be getting more 3rd party exclusive support, from Atlus (Demon's Souls & Persona 5), SEGA (Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza 3), Rockstar (Agent), Tecmo (Quantum, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2), and Square Enix now that the sales numbers are in, their 360 exclusives sold terribly and Final Fantasy XIV as well as Final Fantasy Versus XIII are in production. It doesn't really seem like Sony needs any more developers.

Furthermore, this article also neglects falling manufacturing prices that have put the ps3, by most recent estimates, $50 more to produce than it is sold. With Blu Ray drives and Cell processor motherboards now having smaller and less expensive versions on the market, the PS3 slim is more of a reality than ever, especially with pictures, videos, and edited IGN podcasts all confirming its existence.

Lastly, I'm still not sure how there's an aura of "mistake-making" around Sony concerning the PS3 launch and history. Despite few launch games, an extremely higher price point, weaker online service, and tougher development costs, they've still managed to sell 10 million consoles a year, which is more than could be said about the 360 in its first two years. If Sony's hurting, then how was the XBox faring from 2005 until Q3 2008?

hummm acording to the games con 2009 looks like activision and sony got what they want a price cut YAY!!!!

I think I can clarify what he was trying to say about the PS3 being harder to program.

They've stated that they want the PS3 to have a 10 year life span (unthinkable compared to the XBox but not the PS2)... anyways what I think he's saying is that they could have gone with a simpler system that was easier to develop for, but instead they went with the more complicated system that had potential.

And the hardware needs to have a ton of potential if its still going to be competitive in a decade... try to imagine building a computer with today's technology that will be able to play just about anything developed in 10 years.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here