There Are no Sequels

There Are no Sequels

The videogame industry can take a page out of Hollywood's book: more sequels.

Read Full Article

Can someone clear this up for me? Are the PSP and PSPgo like the DS and DSi in the sense that they'll play the same games or will new games be playable only on the Go?

thenumberthirteen:
Can someone clear this up for me? Are the PSP and PSPgo like the DS and DSi in the sense that they'll play the same games or will new games be playable only on the Go?

The PSP and PSPgo are indeed the same as the DS and DSi conversion. The difference is that there are no PSPgo specific games(yet), unlike the DSi which is said to have DSi specific games. So all games released will be playable on any PSP model as they will be released both on UMD and digitally after the Go's release. This is just a redesign and has a bigger emphasis on digital distribution, which is potentially the best way for hand helds to go as it means you can carry around more games without the excess baggage of the physical media.

Well if the six year cycle holds, there should be an entirely new handheld in 2010 (the DS came out in 2004)

For one, the title is a little misleading. There are no shortages of software sequels, but a pretty deserted set of hardware sequels. Though, back when hardware sequels were more common, they were also in micro-steps. The original Gameboy moved onto the Gameboy Pocket. Pocket to Color. Color to Advance, which was the first major step in twelve years. The Advance lead to the SP. Three years later, we finally get to the Nintendo DS. Now, five years forward to the present, we're at the DSi.

Though, I think we are spoiled by the non-handheld console market a bit. Handhelds have always had notoriously long shelf-life because we're constantly doing new things with the hardware. Sony especially, which is still making software for the PS2 is also stringing out the life of the PSP. With Final Fantasy: Dissidia, LittleBigPlanet, and Gran Turismo all slated or release this year, there's no shortage of major software titles on that end. The old technology is still in place because it's still being used.

Despite the hardware keeping itself aloft, I agree. Not that the handhelds need new hardward. Just that they need to stop pushing reworked hardware. The Nintendo DSi and the Sony PSP Go are two systems that... well... aren't anything new. Although it still makes them grievous amounts of money, so I suppose they're going to keep making them...

What a waste.

Well said, this made me wonder about the perfect portable gaming device, Mine would be large screen, easy controls, that fit my hands, effortless connecting to tv, wifi, that stuff, and i want to be able to rock the hardest(as in graphical intensity) possible, i wiant to be able to sell my computer and buy this as a replacement, mic, for voicechat, keyboard and a headset plug if i want should be included no charge. I'd be willing to pay the cash this would take, most portables today are like $200(I might be off but for the example) so upgrade all of its hardware 5x better and sell it for $1000, what you have just created is my dream hardware, it will sell, probably better tghan notebooks/netbooks/DS(i)/PSP/Desktops/Iphones combiuned, becuase it is FUCKING EVERYTHING YOU WANT! only thing missing is the TV! and it will hook to anyone of them.

NewClassic:
Despite the hardware keeping itself aloft, I agree. Not that the handhelds need new hardward. Just that they need to stop pushing reworked hardware. The Nintendo DSi and the Sony PSP Go are two systems that... well... aren't anything new. Although it still makes them grievous amounts of money, so I suppose they're going to keep making them...

Last I heard, the PSPGo wasn't doing all that well. The DSi isn't a smash hit, either, but it's at least pulling it's weight.

whaleswiththumbs:
Well said, this made me wonder about the perfect portable gaming device, Mine would be large screen, easy controls, that fit my hands, effortless connecting to tv, wifi, that stuff, and i want to be able to rock the hardest(as in graphical intensity) possible, i wiant to be able to sell my computer and buy this as a replacement, mic, for voicechat, keyboard and a headset plug if i want should be included no charge. I'd be willing to pay the cash this would take, most portables today are like $200(I might be off but for the example) so upgrade all of its hardware 5x better and sell it for $1000, what you have just created is my dream hardware, it will sell, probably better tghan notebooks/netbooks/DS(i)/PSP/Desktops/Iphones combiuned, becuase it is FUCKING EVERYTHING YOU WANT! only thing missing is the TV! and it will hook to anyone of them.

Even if this fantasy handheld was actually able to cost a thousand dollars, I don't think you would buy it. Even if you did, though, most people wouldn't because that's a lot of money for anything. At that price, a lot of people are going to have to have to give up a lot to be able to afford this, which is also one of the reasons the PS3 did poorly.

You don't buy a portable device to get the best graphical processing available because the screen is so small that you have to squint to make out details. It's not meant to replace your computer, or even your laptop, because the small size put a severe limitation on it either by price or specs. Portable computers, and handhelds specifically, are bad all-purpose machines because of this.

Pocket Gamer:
However, the portable gaming industry is not a fan of sequels. Indeed, I can't think of a single one

Gameboy>Gameboy color
Gameboy Advance >Gameboy Advance SP
Nintendo DS > Nintendo DS Lite > Nintendo DSI

We're you drunk when you wrote that?

-Seraph-:

thenumberthirteen:

The PSP and PSPgo are indeed the same as the DS and DSi conversion. The difference is that there are no PSPgo specific games(yet), unlike the DSi which is said to have DSi specific games. So all games released will be playable on any PSP model as they will be released both on UMD and digitally after the Go's release. This is just a redesign and has a bigger emphasis on digital distribution, which is potentially the best way for hand helds to go as it means you can carry around more games without the excess baggage of the physical media.

Thanks I think my money would be better spent on buying a bigger Memory card for my PSP than upgrading to Go, but you never know.

I seems odd when Asus can squeek out the formidable EEE PC which weights a kilo & functions as a bloody full scale laptop. It happily runs GTA Vice City & other older titles while scaling graphically for the funny screen size for less than 200.

Now with all their manufacturing & know how Ninty gives us .... two cameras at the cost of the GBA port & a fractionally bigger screen. .

Ive cracked my DS case theres actually alot of room. More than enough room to fit say .... A PHONE.

If I were gonna design one of these things itd look alot different. The DS alone has the capability to be made into a fantastic little ebook reader (I frequently read txt books on my DS) If you upped the screen size & made the case more symetrical, bigger screens mean less battery life but to be fair 8 frikken hours is enough. Stick on a web browser & a phone using the extra size in case & boom Youd sell even more of em :D

I'm not touching the Go. I can't play any of my old games on it AND there's still no second analog stick?
Horseshit, I say.

LimaBravo:
I seems odd when Asus can squeek out the formidable EEE PC which weights a kilo & functions as a bloody full scale laptop. It happily runs GTA Vice City & other older titles while scaling graphically for the funny screen size for less than 200.

Now with all their manufacturing & know how Ninty gives us .... two cameras at the cost of the GBA port & a fractionally bigger screen. .

Ive cracked my DS case theres actually alot of room. More than enough room to fit say .... A PHONE.

If I were gonna design one of these things itd look alot different. The DS alone has the capability to be made into a fantastic little ebook reader (I frequently read txt books on my DS) If you upped the screen size & made the case more symetrical, bigger screens mean less battery life but to be fair 8 frikken hours is enough. Stick on a web browser & a phone using the extra size in case & boom Youd sell even more of em :D

No it's not. :p

Seriously, I have relied on my Game Boy and GBA battery life to get me through incredibly tedious long trips.

12 hours is sort of a minimum to me. Anything less than that and I'm constantly paranoid about the battery running out. (especially if they're battery packs, rather than AA's)
My laptop is great, as relatively high-performance computing goes, but a battery life that ranges between 1.5 to 4 hours makes it rather less than useful.

Any device intended for serious portable use needs a minimum of 8 hours of battery life, and preferably more...

This oversight is what killed the Lynx and Game Gear too...

Once the batteries go flat, your 'impressive' hand-held super-computer becomes a paper-weight...

As much as I love my laptop, it's not something I can really use while travelling.
At best, it just means I can afford to take my computer with me wherever I go...

I would love a really powerful handheld device. But if the battery life sucks, it becomes self-defeating.

randommaster:

Even if this fantasy handheld was actually able to cost a thousand dollars, I don't think you would buy it. Even if you did, though, most people wouldn't because that's a lot of money for anything. At that price, a lot of people are going to have to have to give up a lot to be able to afford this, which is also one of the reasons the PS3 did poorly.

You don't buy a portable device to get the best graphical processing available because the screen is so small that you have to squint to make out details. It's not meant to replace your computer, or even your laptop, because the small size put a severe limitation on it either by price or specs. Portable computers, and handhelds specifically, are bad all-purpose machines because of this.

Good points, like the screen size, I think now that i reread what i said, that i asked for a super portable high power laptop, but also you aren't paying $1000 for anything , your paying $1000 for EVERYTHING, you get gaming, you get productivity, you get a mobile device, when it all adds up your getting the center of your life, sure sell your PC, your laptop, you portable, and you replace what was (for some) a few thousand, if not tens of thousand dollars into a $1000 device that replaces everything.

/salesman

Thats all I got to say about that.

whaleswiththumbs:

randommaster:

Good points, like the screen size, I think now that i reread what i said, that i asked for a super portable high power laptop, but also you aren't paying $1000 for anything , your paying $1000 for EVERYTHING, you get gaming, you get productivity, you get a mobile device, when it all adds up your getting the center of your life, sure sell your PC, your laptop, you portable, and you replace what was (for some) a few thousand, if not tens of thousand dollars into a $1000 device that replaces everything.

/salesman

Thats all I got to say about that.

But that thousand dollar device has a tiny screen, so writing anything is going to be a pain in the ass.

The reason why I think that this hypothetical device wouldn't replace everything is because you can get a computer or laptop for less that will let you surf the web and create Word documents, which is what most people use their computers for.

The Sorrow:
I'm not touching the Go. I can't play any of my old games on it AND there's still no second analog stick?
Horseshit, I say.

have you even seen the picture it does have a second analog stick and it does play your old games ><

Maraveno:

The Sorrow:
Horseshit, I say.

have you even seen the picture it does have a second analog stick and it does play your old games ><

Do your research. http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/210691/psp-go-e3-2009-impressions/
NO SECOND ANALOG STICK.
There isn't even one in the picture here.
Oh, and what do you think "Dropping UMD" means?
IT MEANS YOU CAN'T PLAY UMD GAMES ON IT.
Guess what format PSP games are?
UMD.

The Sorrow:

Maraveno:

The Sorrow:
Horseshit, I say.

Do your research. http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/210691/psp-go-e3-2009-impressions/
NO SECOND ANALOG STICK.
There isn't even one in the picture here.
Oh, and what do you think "Dropping UMD" means?
IT MEANS YOU CAN'T PLAY UMD GAMES ON IT.
Guess what format PSP games are?
UMD.

Edit : correction >> Im sorry my eyes deceived me

Nowadays I'd say you won't get a real hardware upgrade until the next generation of consoles comes out. Purely because they like to link up the main console and the portable ones (so people are tempted to buy both :p).

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)