211: A Pikachu in the Family

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A Pikachu in the Family

How do you make sure your pet Pikachu gets enough exercise when you can barely move yourself? Simple: Get the whole household involved. Brendan Sears and his family learn that it takes a village to raise a Pokémon.

Read Full Article

really, really top-quality article. loved it.

are digital pets the new cuddly toys? ^_^'

When Furbies were the hot, new thing, I bought one for my little sister for her birthday. Problem was, the only one I could find was the store display and it was still two weeks before her birthday. So for the next few weeks I had to drive around with this little fellow in my car, talking to me the whole time. (I was told not to remove his batteries or else he might not work right anymore.) He would call me mommy, and even though I ignored him, he always knew when I was around and genuinely seemed to love me. So finally my sister's big day comes up and I give her her new little friend. She's overly excited not expecting one, and the family is pleased cause no one else could find one, but it was all very short-lived.

He didn't like my sister. He never once responded to her, only becoming "happy" when I was around. After about a month, my sister ended up removing it's batteries herself. I still have no idea how those stupid things are made, but after that incident, I avoided them at all costs.

Aww. This article is sweet.

That was absolutely adorable. I had one of those little Pikachu toys, too, but I didn't take good enough care of it. Pikachu ran way.

Had Mom read the packaging when she purchased the gift, she would have learned that this Pikachu needed to be "walked" to survive. Joey, barely able to crawl for the next three months, was given a pet that drew its life-force from a built in pedometer.

bahahahahhahahaha.

Sorry, maybe I'm evil for laughing at that... but oooooh, the irony...

New Troll:
When Furbies were the hot, new thing, I bought one for my little sister for her birthday. Problem was, the only one I could find was the store display and it was still two weeks before her birthday. So for the next few weeks I had to drive around with this little fellow in my car, talking to me the whole time. (I was told not to remove his batteries or else he might not work right anymore.) He would call me mommy, and even though I ignored him, he always knew when I was around and genuinely seemed to love me. So finally my sister's big day comes up and I give her her new little friend. She's overly excited not expecting one, and the family is pleased cause no one else could find one, but it was all very short-lived.

He didn't like my sister. He never once responded to her, only becoming "happy" when I was around. After about a month, my sister ended up removing it's batteries herself. I still have no idea how those stupid things are made, but after that incident, I avoided them at all costs.

I had one, and I LOVED it. But then... well... don't take them on an 11 hour car trip. I basically murdered it. No joke. I punched it and punched, threw it across the car, threatened to throw it out the window, and slowly but surely, it wound down, until it finally gave a final squeal, a fitting passing that only reminded me of its utter annoyance.

it's last sentence was like this *slowing down computerized voice that gets lower and lower* "I.... loovvveee........ youuuuuuuu........... *BEEEEEEPPPPPPPP*"

Susan Arendt:
That was absolutely adorable. I had one of those little Pikachu toys, too, but I didn't take good enough care of it. Pikachu ran way.

That happened to me. I descovered that if you shook it rather vigorously for a while he'd fall from the top of the screen, although he'd be annoyed with you.

I guess I never had the attention span for pets that didn't repeatedly jab me in the ribs to remind me of something.

A very sweet article though, and it made me chuckle a few times too. Top notch.

This is such a great article. I wish there were more stories like this. Nice job.

Great article! One of my favourites so far. :)

Pikachu, a kid's best friend!

Loved the article.

Nice read.

If anything is heartwarming this truly is it.. How geeky it may seem :P

I always found it depressingly sad when my Tamagotchi went away in the spaceship :(

a very sweet thread.

"It looks kind of yellow to me."

Dear Father Sears, if you're reading this, you're awesome. If you were any more awesome, an emoticon of The Fonz giving two thumbs up would spontanously appear here.

Mimsofthedawg:
it's last sentence was like this *slowing down computerized voice that gets lower and lower* "I.... loovvveee........ youuuuuuuu........... *BEEEEEEPPPPPPPP*"

DAAAAVE

WHAT IS LOVE, DAVE

DAISY DAISY

Excellent article

this story made me "Dawwwwwww" I remember those little electronic pets, you couldn't walk through a store in the 90's without seeing at least 5 different kinds. At first I thought it was going to be that pikachu plushie.......furby......thing that was released later on. yea, he would never shut up.

I found that very sweet.

Pikachu traumatized me as a child when hunting for plushies my sister squeezed ones poor and it burst out into a computerized demonic sounding "London Bridge is Falling Down"

I have never trained the bastard rat since.

Nice article. Very touching and made me laugh a few times. Awesome to see a family come together.

I thought your father's "pikachu has jaundice" but was hilarious. Did Joey ever get the joke?

Awww, that's an amazingly sweet story. :)

That was a pretty cool story, it was kinda nice to read how the family came together to take care of the Pikachu because they wanted to help Joey. It was funny how the dad said the pikachu was a real porker and he thought that it was a raichu when he saw it in the morning.

Speaking of Nintendo, there is a really awesome story about Animal Crossing becuse it is kind of like a dark take on living in Animal Crossing: Wild World. The story is called The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and the cool thing is that all the pictures are taken from the game itself. Here is a link for anyone who wants to check it out:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/index.html

Polarix:
That was a pretty cool story, it was kinda nice to read how the family came together to take care of the Pikachu because they wanted to help Joey. It was funny how the dad said the pikachu was a real porker and he thought that it was a raichu when he saw it in the morning.

Speaking of Nintendo, there is a really awesome story about Animal Crossing becuse it is kind of like a dark take on living in Animal Crossing: Wild World. The story is called The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and the cool thing is that all the pictures are taken from the game itself. Here is a link for anyone who wants to check it out:

That Animal Crossing thing was awesome. I can't wait to watch more of it. Really funny.

New Troll:

Ugh. I remember those things.

Sounds like you guys had a great time with your new Pokemon pet, though! Really good read.

That's a pretty cool story, make's me wish I had a tamagotchi pet when I was in bed for a couple weeks after my tonsils were removed.

Aww how cute.

That was a very cute story. I remember that I had one of those cruddy little Mcdonalds tomagotchi and it died, but honestly I never really cared about it as I had two real dogs and four cats that were much more interesting. I miss those pets, they were very good animals and I considered the family. Though one of the dogs wasn't exactly all that bright, basset hound wasn't exactly going to be joining MENSA in her life. Ahh memories.

AeroZeppelinSevenfold:

Polarix:

That Animal Crossing thing was awesome. I can't wait to watch more of it. Really funny.

Yeah I thought that it was really cool when I found out about it. You see, I found the story when I was looking at this article on another site I like to go to. They were talking about how the Animal Crossing world was secretely evil and one of the people who commented on it posted that link and said that the creator in the link made an even better story about it so I decided to check it out, thought it would be an interesting read. Anyway, I started reading it and I really got engrossed in the story so I favorited the link and when I finished it I was throughly impressed by it.

I'm sure we all cared for a virtual pet at some point in our lives if we were born around the time those things got really popular. I've never heard a story of someone actually keeping a virtual pet alive for more than a couple of days. I must have about 3 Tamagotchi and 2 Pikachu Pets currently residing in a virtual grave yard somewhere. Oddly enough I've managed to keep my goldfish alive for 3 years...

Polarix:

AeroZeppelinSevenfold:

Polarix:

Yeah I thought that it was really cool when I found out about it. You see, I found the story when I was looking at this article on another site I like to go to. They were talking about how the Animal Crossing world was secretely evil and one of the people who commented on it posted that link said that the creator in the link made an even better story about it and I decided to check it out, thought it would be an interesting read. Anyway, I started reading it and I really got engrossed in the story so I favorited the link and when I finished it I was throughly impressed by it.

Thanks though! I did the same thing! It's a favorite and everything.

That's a really cool article. It's one of those stories that just makes you smile. And keep smiling.
'Tiger' sounds like a better pet than some of the 'real' pets I've had :).

New Troll:

My brother had a Furbie once. He dropped it one too many times and I guess the electronics broke. Every time anyone got near it it would make this weird growling sound and slowly vibrate itself towards you. Freaked me out.

I liked it. Pretty good.

This is the cutest story I have ever read. This was really great guys :3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook