Zero Punctuation: Red Faction Guerrilla

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

finally a bit of a upswing in the quality of zero punctuation. for me the last 3 weeks have been bland and boring. hopefully it will get better as the weeks go on to reach the former levels of quality.

I love the part about buildings standing up on basically nothing, I agree. I played at a friend's house for about 5 minutes, and I didn't like it that much. The realistic destroying factor is sort-of dumbed down when a building collapses and most of it just sinks into the ground.

Is there a place to find that 'Hope' image with Yahtzee in it? I'd definitely set that as my wallpaper.

I liked RF1 and hated RF2. I would love to play guerrilla and I have guerrilla but my xbox died about an hour and a half into guerrilla. Overall what I played I loved it then again you can sell me on senseless destruction.

Download the ZP theme tune? I want to be rid of it forever, I'd only download it so I could delete it over and over again.

But I don't get it, did he like the game or not?

I really liked the review, he made some very good points.
I guess you can't really bring down a building in five seconds with a hammer....

Good review, I can sympathize with the tale at the beginning. I bought Red Faction for the PS2 years ago but I never finished it because the gameplay wasn't that great and the story was snore-worthy. I kept getting sidetracked by blowing holes in walls. I had never played a game that had that much environmental destruction, so it fascinated me. Maybe that was the problem with the first game, they spent all of their time on the Geo Mod technology (or whatever it was called) and not enough time on the actual game.

I played the demo of Red Faction Guerrilla and wasn't that impressed. Sure, destroying the environment was as fun as ever, but the mission that they gave you in the demo was pretty bland.

shit how many doctor who jokes do you have?

That was the worst review I've seen from Yahtzee yet. I love him and I'm a huge fan, but he just seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about. Red Faction is an amazing game, and the shots he took at it were unwarranted. Even though he did seem to enjoy it, complaints like easily getting attacked by the EDF just don't make any sense. If you smack a wall out right in front of them, what do you expect to happen? You also don't lose morale unless you kill civilians. Loads of other sandbox games have similar, and usually, more strict systems in play than that. This is a great game, and I really wonder if Yahtzee played it more than five minutes.

The destruction with the hammer is for GAMEPLAY, I can't believe people are agreeing with such a stupid point. Who cares if it's realistic? It's FUN. Y'know, fun? The whole reason games are made? Also, the buildings barely standing up happens very rarely. The stress system kicks in and causes the building to collapse if it's barely held up. On occasion it does get stuck, but the game has such a gigantic and ambitious destruction system and you're going to complain about minor things like that? Games that have something as simple as being able to move tiny objects around have more glitches than this.

"and on the second his spine snapped neatly in half", that line was truly hilarious.

Spinwhiz:
Also, this is the 99th episode...next week what will happen?!?!?!??!?! :)

I was just about to make a comment about there being five full pages of 20 in the archive which makes this the 100th, but then remembered the repeat of the console rundown thing one week when he was away. So I thought I'd post it anyway in case anyone else has the same idea.

That said, the interview with Yahtzee from the PDF issue said that the 100th episode airs on August 5th, so someone somewhere can't count. :P

I will kill for a shirt that has the Yahtzee 'Hope' thing on it.

Hooray! No gonad jokes in this one! My respect for you has recovered somewhat! keep up the good work yahtzee.

Hmm. it's odd he didn't rant on the difficulty...
well well...

It was funny even if I do disagree with you.
But I will forever be the person who will try to find flaws in everything.

The game is good, and it's mindless fun if you end up not giving a shit about morale. There are some flaws, as Yahtzee pointed out, but it's still a fun game none-the-less.

The only thing about this review that kinda' irked me was that there was no mention of the awesome multi-player mode where you just destroy buildings for points. It's a great stress reliever and funny as hell to watch.

The only thing missing from Red Faction Guerilla were the colourfull crazy characters from Saints Row 2

Great review as always, hope you and Saints Row 2 have a happy life together.

Red Faction Guerrilla kinda dropped the ball, for me. I was hoping, since it was made by Volition, that it would basically be Saints Row 2 on Mars in the future. But, It wasn't. The moral system ruined it for me. Like Yahtzee said, "Here's Mars. There's lots of stuff to blow up. Here's plenty of guns to blow it all up. Just don't blow it up too much."

gawsh, i played RF2 and had so LITTLE fun with it, the characters were so unlikeable (and as a matter of fact, they WERE antholes! oO ) the morale system worked just like in FO3 (heal the world or kill innocent.... well, whatever, i'm not so good at puns xD fact is, RFG hasn't improved on the points that bugged me in RF2 so i'm thankful for this review and for renting it before actually taking the risk and buy it.
which i will surely NOT do xD

Awsome referance to an obscure David Bowie song at the end there Yahtzee.

Also very nice to see you did this, given the advertising they did on the Escapist (even going so far as to have a badge) it's nice to see that they still let you critique them in your own unique and wonderful style.

And still no reviewer seems to touch on the moral dissonance that occurs when you are committing (what amounts to) acts of terrorism when you blow up government buildings like they were the freaking death star, which cues the discussion of innocent contractors working in that building from Clerks.

I think the game should be called Red Faciton: Break stuff. Its a good game just..... I wish it were about actual Guerilla warfare.

As much fun as it was to plow through EDF property with a walker while playing the demo on XBL, I couldn't convince myself to like this game. Everything in this review is true right down to the somewhat faulty physics. Keep it up Yahtzee.

ssgt splatter:
As much fun as it was to plow through EDF property with a walker while playing the demo on XBL, I couldn't convince myself to like this game. Everything in this review is true right down to the somewhat faulty physics. Keep it up Yahtzee.

The stress system wasn't even in the demo there bud. If you sit and watch a heavily damaged building in the full game, it will collapse given a bit of time as it would in real life. There are some glitches, but EVERY GAME HAS GLITCHES. This game does something more ambitious than any game to come out for a good while, and you're going to pick at the occasional physics glitch?

The pun at the end made me howl like a tipsy wolf, and I scared my mom. I think I need to get out more.

I knew that he would be reviewing this game for this week because my friend and I were playing this game on his PS3 over the weekend and frankly I was rather pleased with the game, though I made the same joke about you possesing Myolnir as Yahtzee did.

And now I really have to play Saint's Row 2 now if I liked Red Faction 2 that much.

Looks like he liked it. Begrudgingly though mind. Loved the bit about the wedding and the game in it's little suit :P

i downloaded the demo for it when it first came out, and after half an hour of waiting, i started to play it, and thought it would be good because it was by the guys that made sr2, as he mentioned at the end of his review, but i got bored after a couple minutes and i would never get that loooooooooong time spent waiting for it to download back. i know demos aren't as good as actualy having the game, but i couldn't find mutch to like in it.

and why would ANYONE want his themesong? it sounds like ass

If you cut Red Faction: Guerrilla a little slack it can be a lot of fun. It does try to take itself very seriously though, so I guess it makes sense to pick on all the little places where the realism fails or the gameplay doesn't match the title's suggestion that you'll be using guerrilla tactics.

Red Faction Chimpanzee?
No sorry I don't really...

OH! BECAUSE IT'S A...

We... I, right. Ooook.
Cool, cool.

Oh yeah and great vid by the way.

Well made points, however, the last point seems lacking...
In a game where the engine allows you to destroy near-everything, and this is one of the first games at let's you do such a thing, would your rather go sneaky sneaky snipe things, run in, set up mines, run off and detonate them? Or would you rather go rambo-norse god of death and watch everything burst into pretty explosions of hues of orange, blue, green, and purple?

I guess what I'm saying is you sound like you'd've been more happy with the game if it were called Red Faction: Mars (who's also the God of War making the title even more appropriate)
Also, the game is more sneaky-sneaky on higher difficulties. The threat level system and ways to drop it are almost the exact same as any GTA game.

Been waiting for this review since I bought and beat the game and I wasn't disappointed. Good job :D

Is that Obama parody going to be a new shirt?

Aidoc:

MK Tha Rebel:
Great review as always, hope you and Saints Row 2 have a happy life together.

Red Faction Guerrilla kinda dropped the ball, for me. I was hoping, since it was made by Volition, that it would basically be Saints Row 2 on Mars in the future. But, It wasn't. The moral system ruined it for me. Like Yahtzee said, "Here's Mars. There's lots of stuff to blow up. Here's plenty of guns to blow it all up. Just don't blow it up too much."

Gah, just don't kill civilians. Even if you do, who cares? You can easily get the morale back, and morale doesn't even hinder your game play at all. It just effects if guerrilla's will jump in to help you. Stop sucking Yahtzee off and actually PLAY the game. Contrary to popular stupidity by the way, destroying buildings doesn't effect your morale. At all.

Wow, did you miss the point. Here, let me sum it up:

MORALE SYSTEM IS A BUZZ-KILLER.

Yes, I enjoy killing civilians and realize that blowing up buildings doesn't effect my morale, but the point is its a buzz-kill from all the carnage I would like to be causing. Saints Row 2 didn't have that problem. See, both games give you the option to just run around like a maniac an cause havoc and chaos. Saints Row 2 was just better at it. I was hoping that RFG would be BETTER than SR2, due to the advanced future weapons, and the fact it was the later game and they had the success of SR2 to work off of. But the fact is it wasn't as fun as SR2. THAT'S what ruined the game for me. GOT IT?

Mind you, it was still a good game, but I know it could have been so much better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here