Zero Punctuation: Red Faction Guerrilla

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Therumancer:

Archaon6044:
i hear what you say about them spiders from Mars. That Ziggy Stardust character is the most dangerous of the lot
then there's those damn giant mice that ride motorcycles

Hmmm, well as I've said twice now I thought it was a referance to a David Bowie song. BUT then again part of the point is that it can refer to a number of things hence why he keeps hearing about them.

Still, given that I do remember when David Bowie was popular, but was too old to see much of "Biker Mice From Mars" it probably explains why I would think of Dave before more recent referances.

I feel old.

that's the song i was referring to: Ziggy Stadust and the Spiders from Mars, and then as i was writing that, i remembered that messed show, and decided to throw that in for lulz

MonkeySlayer:
I dunno if I'm just getting used to Yahtzee's voice, and whether I keep drifting in and out, but that seemed really short, even if the timebar says 4 mins...

Perhaps it's because they're getting boring.
Yahtzee is losing his spark.

My brother said the same things about what the buildings were made of.

I dont know whether it's just me but that wedding picture and fedora guy with norse looks just really cracked me up.

Best review in a while in my opinion :D

I'm surprise he didn't rip in his freakishly thick coat.

Ive been waiting for this review.

Loved it - Keep them coming Yahtzee!

Was a good one Yahtzee, as most of em are!

Quick question, how are those first three posts worth putting the users on probabtion for? I don't get it.

eg. Kilgorn said:

'Finally! i waited forever for this one'

User was put on probation for this post.(3 days)

<-confused

achilleas.k:
Is it me or is Yahtzee's rant style getting slower?

Yes. It's also now possible to tell what he's saying so I'd say it's an improvement overall.

I'm posting this after reading 4 other posts and I'm never going to read anything anyone might say in response, this is just drunken venting - I loved the original RF (though ironically i never got to finish it) and I would have thought from the majority of the game I played Yahtzee would have loved it (original gameplay, imerssive begining, story plays out during gameplay without interuption, etc) and I really like RFG b/c it is mostly about wanton destruction - and I got the impression (having never been a guerilla fighter) that this IS like guerilla warfare in that they geared it towards you having to hit and run - it is annoying that legions of guards show up from every direction and you can't carry much ammo, but that makes it so you have to get in and out quickly and you can't just storm the enemy's main fortress like all the other games Yahtzee complains about for being too macho

Hilarious if I say so myself.

Ceefax:
Was a good one Yahtzee, as most of em are!

Quick question, how are those first three posts worth putting the users on probabtion for? I don't get it.

eg. Kilgorn said:

'Finally! i waited forever for this one'

User was put on probation for this post.(3 days)

<-confused

I think it was the timing. This topic has problems with people just posting as soon as the topic has opened without watching the video, which destroys the whole point of this discussion.

I haven't played this game but that felt the most like a proper review for a while now. Yahtzee was pretty much on form this time. I thought this was one of Yahtzee's finer moments.

I might well go out and get this game, sounds like its up my street.

top draw, as usual (y)

Hmm... is it just me or did this episode stay a lot cleaner than usual? It looked like he censored himself a little. Or im crazy. Im not sure.

Awesome! Once again Yahtzee produces an awesome review. Cant really say if i agree, cause i never played it, and I dont think i want to .........

It seems that this is game will be on his fail list...yet again. Ah, the creators of games are not paid enough for this.

Okay.

Let me explain this... for the last... time.

The Red Faction: Guerilla Mining Sledge has a mass driver in the head. As you swing it it pops out, increasing the mass and force of the blow a hundred fold. It's not you, it's the hammer. It's a hightech supersledge.

Wow. many, many, programming references lately.

He didn't like RF1? (Says this as he walks around the corner into 3 sniper-mercs with Rail Drivers)

I can't imagine why <.<

Thank you for reviewing this, Yahtzee. As much as you just verbally assaulted one of my favorite games of this year, someone had to point out the trouble spots for the RFG fans who have spent the all this time gushing about what a great game they all bought.

TaborMallory:

MonkeySlayer:
I dunno if I'm just getting used to Yahtzee's voice, and whether I keep drifting in and out, but that seemed really short, even if the timebar says 4 mins...

I don't think so. You must have watched many if not all of his episodes. One simply builds up tolerance to any single comic over time. Had this with many writers or sketch groups. If you find him constantly boring then better just stop watching, otherwise you will grow to hate him.

But he still makes brilliant reviews now and then, like Sims 3. I enjoy tremendously even the weaker reviews, simply because I like his reasonably broad vocabulary.

RED FACTION 1 WAS AWESOME!

In my opinion anyways

Quiet Yahtzee

burninfidels:

TaborMallory:

MonkeySlayer:

I don't think so. You must have watched many if not all of his episodes. One simply builds up tolerance to any single comic over time. Had this with many writers or sketch groups. If you find him constantly boring then better just stop watching, otherwise you will grow to hate him.

But he still makes brilliant reviews now and then, like Sims 3. I enjoy tremendously even the weaker reviews, simply because I like his reasonably broad vocabulary.

I've seen them all. The older ones still make me laugh, regardless of how many times I've watched them.

Is it I who's losing interest, or Yahtzee who's running out of ideas?

I was rather fond of the :(--; at 3:17. call me a C++ nerd.

Yahtzee truly masters personification...

man, I absolutely LOVED this one! it's touching and brilliant, there's a whole movie script in there waiting to be made into a 3-hour long drama epic.

with Daniel Radcliffe on cocaine playing Yahtzee.

TaborMallory:

burninfidels:

TaborMallory:

MonkeySlayer:

I've seen them all. The older ones still make me laugh, regardless of how many times I've watched them.

Well, you watched them first, were funny and original back then and thus they ingrained themselves in your memory as such. You cannot be honestly sure that, if the sequence was reversed and you watched the current ones first, the effect would have been the same.

TaborMallory:

Is it I who's losing interest, or Yahtzee who's running out of ideas?

Well, if either is the case then I would stop watching, otherwise you will just suffer. And this is not even me being a jerk. I really believe that. I did it with some funny stuff that ceased being funny to me, actually.

Yahtzee confirmed what I had assumed. That's too bad. The demo made the game look pretty good.

TaborMallory:

MonkeySlayer:

Nah, he's just using less toilet humor. I noticed him slowing down his rant quite a bit though.

YAY MJOLNIR! HE SAID MJOLNIR LIKE EIGHT TIMES! I LOVE YOU TOO YAHTZEE!

rated pg:
And did Yahtzee seriously complain that he couldn't kill civilians (aka the guys you're fighting to free) without consequence? Except Prototype, name me one game you can.

Deus Ex. I had some terrible conversations with Paul when I didn't realise that you were supposed to sneak around the back of the hostage situation in the subway.

A Pious Cultist:

achilleas.k:
Is it me or is Yahtzee's rant style getting slower?

Yes. It's also now possible to tell what he's saying so I'd say it's an improvement overall.

But I liked it more when he was blazing fast. The most fun part was that by the time the first joke started sinking in he was already on the third!

The title was supposed to be 'Red Faction Gorillas'.

Wait. the original Red Faction was a fantastic game, how can he gain any respect after saying such things about it. :(

I completely agree with this review.
Heck, I was comparing the game to Saints 2 myself. Though this might be because I bought both titles at the same time, and Saints is easily the superior one of the two.

bad guy in doctor who

Hahaha, well you finally got your review, though I don't think you would have been so quick to ask for it if you'd known Yahtzee had an ugly past with it.

The fact that your rebel allies randomly spawn when you commit minor acts of destruction is hilarious...actually reminds me of a scene from a certain HL2 parody comic.
The wonky building physics isn't any surprise to me...in Gears of War, when one of the bridges gets demolished, chunks of rubble start flying and bouncing around more like styrofoam blocks than anything else, so when you make that a central theme of gameplay, no doubt you're gonna have issues.

Glad you're very self-conscious about the games you repeatedly laud with praise...
I think Yahtzee has a new Prince of Persia.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here