Review: Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity

Review: Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity

Put this in your (brain)pipe and smoke it.

Read Full Article

That sounds pretty cool, although my video didn't work.
I may give it a go when my ISP lets me download things again.

But the real question is this: Is an acid trip going to be any cheaper than $15?

I wonder how this game is different from Missile Game 3D, a flash game that is many years old. I would definitely not pay $15 to add sound effects to that game.

And unhumanity isn't an existing word.

MaxTheReaper:
But the real question is this: Is an acid trip going to be any cheaper than $15?

But the real question is this: can you choose to stop tripping when it becomes too much?

randommaster:

But the real question is this: can you choose to stop tripping when it becomes too much?

I dunno.
Do I look like a drug user to you?

MaxTheReaper:

randommaster:

I dunno.

Well, Lelouche would be all like, "You are on drugs!" And you would start tripping out because the Geas would mess with your brain, then he'd be like, "I'm going to do the same thing I do every night: try to take over the world!" And then the Pinky and the Brain theme song comes on and everything is just really confusing because you that you were watching anime.

Does that answer your question.

randommaster:

Well, Lelouche would be all like, "You are on drugs!" And you would start tripping out because the Geas would mess with your brain, then he'd be like, "I'm going to do the same thing I do every night: try to take over the world!" And then the Pinky and the Brain theme song comes on and everything is just really confusing because you that you were watching anime.

...Not particularly, no.
It does make me wonder why you asked me about drugs, though.
So I guess you could say it just reinforced my question.

MaxTheReaper:

randommaster:

...Not particularly, no.
It does make me wonder why you asked me about drugs, though.
So I guess you could say it just reinforced my question.

I could go on, but I'd get into trouble for derailing this thread.

At least with this game, you only have to pay for it once, though.

MaxTheReaper:

randommaster:

I dunno.

Yes. Very much so.

Cpt_Oblivious:
Yes. Very much so.

...Oh.
Oh.

Well then.

And that's enough banter about your personal use of recreational pharmaceuticals, gang.

Back on track...

This game reminds me vividly of the bacon river levels in Tempest 2000. I wonder if Jeff Minter was an influence on the devs.

I name this the most psychedelic game sense REZ.

...Wow, I think my brain just esplodeded...

Looks interesting, too bad I can't be arsed to ever try out anything that I saw on the internet...

This looks like an over glorified screen saver or itunes visualiser...

I guess i could see the fun in it, would be somewhat interesting to attempt playing it blind if you have a trained ear for music (which i do). Although something about the monotonous straight ahead movements and mellow new-age sounding music that would probably put me to sleep, specially if playing this to distract myself at work.

Someone mentioned dropping acid would probably be cheaper, and youre right its street value is about 5-10 dollars a tab, same with extasy...

xmetatr0nx:
This looks like an over glorified screen saver or itunes visualiser...

I guess i could see the fun in it, would be somewhat interesting to attempt playing it blind if you have a trained ear for music (which i do). Although something about the monotonous straight ahead movements and mellow new-age sounding music that would probably put me to sleep, specially if playing this to distract myself at work.

Someone mentioned dropping acid would probably be cheaper, and youre right its street value is about 5-10 dollars a tab, same with extasy...

That's a wee bit harsh. The game design is challenging in its own right if you intend to do something besides stare at the screen and drool.

It's a synethesia game. Like Rez, the developers have to balance between people who enjoy the visuals and sounds coordinating with their input but don't want challenge and the ones who expect it to behave like a normal game. Off the top of my head, this is maybe the fifth game that actually manages the hole Kandinsky thing decently.

Eh. Played the demo. Wasn't impressed.

Just came here to say that this game has a Freudian interpretation that is more about returning to the womb than taking LSD. I think that Rez had the same thing going along with the ending of 2001.

xmetatr0nx:

The more you know!

*ahem* Sorry, had to do it.

The games looks pretty interesting to be honest.
May have to look into it a some point.

Looks cool, but I don't think I'll pay $15 for the mini game in SMT: Nocturne.

xmetatr0nx:

MaxTheReaper:

Acid is cheaper, but completely different. Why do people seem to think acid is just trippy colours?

I could see this as a fun game I would play (and I hate to use this word) casually. Its not something I would spend hours and hours on, but its something I could pick up when I'm waiting for my buddy to get to my house and have a good time with. I love the sound design, even on my shitty laptop speakers I can tell its stellar. The visual design is a but cliche for the whole "trippy brain colours" thing, but I like the idea of the iris/pupil reticle. It makes me feel like the game is just an eye looking inside its own head.

Fightgarr:

Acid is cheaper, but completely different. Why do people seem to think acid is just trippy colours?

Because I'm not into the drug scene and nobody ever corrects the assumption?

Dude, my hands are huge!

A friend of a friend told me yesterday that this game is AWESOME when you're tripping. The massive slowdown of time that happens, along with the mixing up of your senses and crazy visuals and sounds all add up to a great experience.

It's especially great (apparently) if you turn off the game's background music (but keep the sounds everything makes) and listen to dubstep while playing.

Dude that looks crazy. Crazy awesome that is! Where can I get a copy of it?

More Fun To Compute:
Just came here to say that this game has a Freudian interpretation that is more about returning to the womb than taking LSD.

What does that MEEAAN?!?! I know I come of as fairly brash there but seriously, everyone keeps going on about things in video games saying "Oh well, now this contains many Freudian influences.", and all I can think is "What in the hell are you talking about?" This will probably make me sound like something of an idiot, since a lot of people here seem to be in on this, but I don't know who that man is, what he did, or why it is important, and I would really like someone to explain to me how being in a giant friggin' worm in which everything is trying to kill you, has anything to do with being a fetus, let alone flying a giant eyball through the world of Psychonauts.

KingPiccolOwned:
What does that MEEAAN?!?! I know I come of as fairly brash there but seriously, everyone keeps going on about things in video games saying "Oh well, now this contains many Freudian influences.", and all I can think is "What in the hell are you talking about?" This will probably make me sound like something of an idiot, since a lot of people here seem to be in on this, but I don't know who that man is, what he did, or why it is important, and I would really like someone to explain to me how being in a giant friggin' worm in which everything is trying to kill you, has anything to do with being a fetus, let alone flying a giant eyball through the world of Psychonauts.

Sigmud Freud was a very well known and influential psychologist. Not only was he influential but when some things seem to be symbolic of something else there are Freudian interpretations of what they mean. Travelling through a tunnel is symbolism that has a well known Freudian explanation.

More Fun To Compute:

KingPiccolOwned:

Sigmud Freud was a very well known and influential psychologist. Not only was he influential but when some things seem to be symbolic of something else there are Freudian interpretations of what they mean. Travelling through a tunnel is symbolism that has a well known Freudian explanation.

Personally I call that reading too much into things, however since that ddin't really explain much about the teachings of Sigmund Freud, tell me how the eyeball choo-choo goin' trough de spakly tunnel means smart things (intentionally stupid sounding).

KingPiccolOwned:
Personally I call that reading too much into things, however since that ddin't really explain much about the teachings of Sigmund Freud, tell me how the eyeball choo-choo goin' trough de spakly tunnel means smart things (intentionally stupid sounding).

There are far better places to learn about Freud on the internet than from me so I just gave you enough to look for more if you are interested.

This sort of thing also goes back to the ending sequence of the motion picture 2001: A Space Odyssey. You could also watch that if you are really interested in what my post meant.

This game is... mesmerizing. If you have a nice set of head phones and a great display setup... well, lets just say I didn't realize 4 hours had passed until I felt my stomach protest... kinda straining on the eyes though. It's pretty doable at lower difficulty settings... but once you ramp it up to 5 or 6 it becomes relatively challenging... I ramped it up to 10 just to see how it plays out, I think if I were epileptic I would have had a seizure within 3 seconds.

i totally LOVE the title of this game. i dunno why it just really gets me

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here