EDGE of Asshattery

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Xombee:
Is "Professional Troll" on this guy's resume? You'd think someone with common sense who flips through these complaints would go, "Yeah... this guy is a parasite. Fuck his claim."

Professional Troll huh? What say we show him the "Banhammer"?

Annnnnnnyway, this guy is pretty much a clear cut case why I really don't like the justice system. Whoever has the better lawyer wins. We have some rich guy with very few games to his name, but plenty of lawsuits vs. an indie developer who is practically broke. Rich guy buys the better lawyer and the court provides a much less experienced one for the defense. And it's not like Apple is being very helpful.

And of course he goes for the little guy instead of taking on the giant EA despite using trademarked material. The school bully metaphor is exactly what it is.

Susan Arendt:
Hey, hey, let's stop wishing physical harm on the guy, ok? Karma, people, karma.

Karma's already out to bone me in the bum.
Adding a couple inches to the width of the thing ain't gonna make it much worse.
That said, fuck this guy.

Hmm... I am now working a game called "Edge Edgerton's Edgy trip to the Edge" out of spite.

If you cannot attack him directly is there a way to knock out his supports?

I mean, can't someone report his cabal of lawyers to the Bar Association? I'm sure a history of ridiculous lawsuits isn't going to look good on them, and perhaps they'd just dump him to avoid a review.

Or, file a complaint with either the USPTO or the FTC, saying that the trademark should be invalidated due to Edge being a common word, and not a unique name.

I thought this was a joke at first, I was just thinking
"Man anyone who would do that in real life must be a total idiot."
Then I got up to the part in the article that said.
"This is a true story."
Needless to say this Tim guy broke the asshole meter, a dang expensive asshole meter that he tried to sue me for.

Heck, when I was in New York I worked for Edge Medcom LLC, owned by my boss, Dan Edge. No, seriously, that's his name. Tim wanna sue ME?!

Fuck me, that's a brilliant scheme. Is there a directory of everyday words that haven't been claimed yet?

this is just like the 2010 Olympics going down in Vancouver

there [i]was[i] a restaurant called olympia but then VanOc (Vancouver Olympic committee) decided that it was to close to Olympic and thus infringing on their trademark so then i think told the restaurant to change their name. The restaurant said no, so VanOC sued them for everything they had. RIght down to their clothes, forcing the place to shut down.

that as well as shamus's article is why trademarking words is a fucking stupid idea

Shamus Young:

tendo82:
I think this guy may be worse than Jack Thompson because there's the remote possibility that Thompson actually believes what he's doing is the right thing. This guy most likely knows he's exploiting the system for his own financial gain, and that conscious knowledge somehow makes his endeavors more egregious to me.

I agree. It';s the difference between woefully misguided and relentlessly predatory.

Jack Thompson is endlessly entertaining. Tim Langdell needs to get eaten by a thousand Theraphosa Blondis. I say that qualifies Tim as worse than Jack.

the article you wrote makes the igda look bad but in fact they do not condone the actions of one tim langdell as observed here
http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=6f931893fb01cc69df6a3e1524bcf2ae&threadid=35923&highlight=tim+langdell

however they do not condemn him either as observed here
http://igda.org/london/news/edge/

and tim langdell denies pretty much everything accusing mobigame of underhanded trickery and slander as observed here
http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?postid=224709#post224709

personally i think his denial looks quite reasonable and well written however i also think it is quite obviously damage control by his lawyers and not written by him himself

now that you have all the facts and opinions from multiple sources both biased and non it is up to you to decide whether YOU condemn him

supposedly tim langdell can be contacted at timl@igda.org whether this is true or not i cant be sure but i would think it is so feel free to rain your hate mail down upon him

edit: some sources say that mobigame offered to rename their game to edgy and then tim langdell trademarked that promptly thereafter i doubt this is reliable information and is likely embellished but IF it is true then tim langdell is a truely evil man indeed

Shamus Young:
which is like having the Incredible Hulk as a member of The International Committee Against Smashing Shit Into Tiny Pieces.

That's my favourite line of the article... actually wait scratch that...
Best line written in any article I've read for a long while now.
Great job Shamus Young.

I truly hope Chaos edge is successful at stopping Tim Langdell.
I won't wish him harm...but hey I can imagine some harm befalling him can't I?

Some people live long, productive lives and society as a whole is better for their existence. Timothy here happens to be the exact opposite. A parasite leaching the life from people and subsisting off other people's success. He's like the troll under the bridge in a certain old story. He waits for people to pass by and when they do he leaps out and corners them into give him what he wants.

diablomaki:
i read this and thought i should contact these guys @ corp@edgegames.com <corp@edgegames.com>
but it was just to tell them i love them

Okay, it's on.

scifidownbeat:

SpaceGhost2K:
There is only one solution.

Sue him out of existence.

Monopoly, restraint of trade, harassment, whatever. Someone like EA needs to go after him, and get a settlement so large that he'll never have money to pursue litigation again.

Then they need to make a game called "Edge of Edges."

You, sir, have just made my "Top 10 posts" list's number 2 spot.

That thought is eerily attractive; the legal evil of one man versus the legal evil of a developer-swallowing conglomerate.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks. Actually, Susan A and I have a history.

*snicker*

Nothing like that. She just bought a custom faceplate from me. :)

Good for you, dude! Also, those lawyers need to be dragged before the bar >:( karma or no, I still say that guy needs a damn good shin kicking! But I heard on the grapevine that he is taking on EA... It's like Toad attacking Magneto except that Magneto is a sometime good guy whereas EA..let's leave that thought there, shall we ;)

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I am sooo gonna copyright/trademark the letters A, E, I, O and U. Suck on that one timmy boy.

Does this mean EA actually PAID this twat so they could call their game "Mirror's Edge"?!

EDIT: Ninja'd. By the ARTICLE. That's the second most retarded thing I've done this week.

I was hoping that that screen was a joke...
I was wrong :(
we should all go to e3 (it says he has a stall on his website)
and kick the shit outta him.

the optimist in me says "A bigger company is going to stand up for them and say "What what?"

Seriously I would suggest going to EA or hell even ACTIVISION someone who would take your game and give you a steady line of work and then Tim is going to go "Well shit"

How can you Trademark EDGE?!

sravankb:
corp (at) edgegames dot com

That's their email address. I hope someone from Anonymous can find that out. They'll cook up something good for that bastard.

inb4 personal army.

On a more serious note, I really can't stand this man. Ever since I read about him on Kotaku a month or so back, I've wanted to punch him right in the logic. Not only has he done nothing to contribute to the game industry for years, all the games he did make were absolute shit.
Thanks for the article, Shamus. It feels good to be morally outraged by something again.

After reading this article and watching the SGC debate between Mark Methenitis and Jack Thompson, I am starting to think that Tim Langdell is the new arch-villian of gaming. SGC sort of vindicated you Thompson, time to hand the throne over.

I feel the need to start up a hate club.

http://failblog.org/page/7

This is what they should do.

as a game developer, i am shocked to hear that this person is also on the board of IGDA (international game developers association). having done a bit of research on the case, i have chosen to forward this article to a game developer forum in order to spread the word of bad reputation of both tim langdell and the IGDA board of directors.

while having a copyright poacher on the lose without a network is one thing, having one with a vast network incorporating large companies in the industry is entirely another. i urge both gamers and game developers to research this and take a stance on the issue at hand. we should not be silenced by corporate greed or stonewalled by networks.

Sabre_of_Pain:

and tim langdell denies pretty much everything accusing mobigame of underhanded trickery and slander as observed here
http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?postid=224709#post224709

personally i think his denial looks quite reasonable and well written however i also think it is quite obviously damage control by his lawyers and not written by him himself

now that you have all the facts and opinions from multiple sources both biased and non it is up to you to decide whether YOU condemn him

supposedly tim langdell can be contacted at timl@igda.org whether this is true or not i cant be sure but i would think it is so feel free to rain your hate mail down upon him

edit: some sources say that mobigame offered to rename their game to edgy and then tim langdell trademarked that promptly thereafter i doubt this is reliable information and is likely embellished but IF it is true then tim langdell is a truely evil man indeed

Unlikely, the trademark process takes too long for him to just do it on the fly and there is the mild hope that they would actually catch it the second time around.

Thank you for the link round-up, by the way, gave a much more balanced look at the situation. You're right, Langell is just backpedaling from a PR disaster. F*** it, you reap what you sow in the legal world.

The true purpose of copyright, patent, and trademark law has been the victim of malicious (and flagrant) abuse for a quite a while now. While their original purpose was to ensure that companies couldn't get their materials, names, and ideas stolen for the purposes of the thief making a quick buck, they have been subverted entirely for the purposes of... making a quick buck.

When a man makes a company called EGDE Gaming, that entitles him to several things: the ability to stop people from using that company's name to make money, for one. This does not however mean that he OWNS the word edge. Also, nobody thinks that the name of a game and who makes it are the same thing. Does one look at "Gears Of War" and think: that game is made by WarGear studios? Of course not: they look at the label to see who made it.

Worse yet, this company hasn't made a game in 15 YEARS. That means that the EDGE name has not been seen on store shelves for 15 years either. No worries Mr.Langdell, nobody will mistake this game for a creation of your company.

They might however been in danger of mistaking your company for 3D Realms.

RiffRaff:
Hmm... I am now working a game called "Edge Edgerton's Edgy trip to the Edge" out of spite.

I think you should acually do that except secreatly have EA working on it, so that they can make it profesional, and it's all a trap so when he files a lawsuite, EA comes out of the closet and beats him up with lawers, then the escapist community just mobs him.

Wait a minute, stop right there. I don't know what's actually going on here, but this story seems blown out of proportion. Some things don't add up. If any of it is true, which I'm certain most of it is, then there are some urban myths rolled in here. It sounds like the classic "loophole in the law" scenario that works well in urban myths. I don't believe the part about him trademarking Edge of Twilight, for instance, because I discovered that game long ago and it doesn't make any sense for them not to have trademarked the name. The law is just not with this guy... or not the way it's stated, anyway.

I trust Shamus Young, but I don't trust a few of his sources. Kotaku, for instance, is notorious for making small mistakes that add up over time.

@PrototypeC Don't believe it? Check the trademark record: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:ts5bhl.3.3

Word Mark EDGE OF TWILIGHT
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game programs
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77748665
Filing Date June 1, 2009
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) EDGE Games Inc CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 530 South Lake Avenue Ste 171 Pasadena CALIFORNIA 91101
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

That's why you check the USPTO, not Google.

It's interesting how several of the gaming news websites are doing articles about this guy.
It's also interesting how they all say the same thing:

This bastard must be stopped if the gaming industry is to remain intact.

I mean seriously. You made some game 15 years ago, and now you suddenly own the English word, Edge? Jeez, man. Get a life. Maybe if I were to make a game (which I'm in the process of doing), I should call it Edge, but in another language, like Hebrew or Russian.

I hope these edge morons try to take on EA. EA will crush them like the bugs they are.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here