EDGE of Asshattery

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm sure if someone decided to do enough homework, they could work-up a lawsuit against Langdell for running a company that's a blatant "Trademark Exploiter". Then again, knowing American law, I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely legitimate for someone to run a company who's entire purpose for existing is to sue other companies for money.

People like him are exactly what's wrong with America, honestly. Far more people get rewarded for sitting around and doing nothing, and far too many people get punished after putting a lot of work into something.

This just goes to show how screwed the copyright system is over where Langdell runs free.

I have no hatred for this man, but justice should be done. If he has claimed even a cent from these actions, every last bit of it - plus damages - should be repaid to his victims.

scnj:

MaxTheReaper:
Wow.
What a fucker.

I came here to say nearly that exact same thing. Seriously, what kind of an asshole is that?

The kind that would run Activision?

EDIT: bad idea. MAybe

He is an ass through and through.

Karma be damned, I'd gladly take whatever I wish I could do to him. It would be so worth it :D

people like this dont deserve to be in buisnesses and seats of power, not even buisnessman are this dicky, the only people worse than him are his legions of lawyer lapdogs who yap at his every command.

You trademark logos, not words. Or else Mattel would be suing every woman who went by a common nickname for Barbara, because they could. There is a gray area where if you're obviously referring to an already trademarked item, you may need to get permission from the Trademark holders or at least acknowledge the trademark, but still.

What boggles me is why no one has just sucked it up and gone to court with this guy. I can't imagine how he would win, army of lawyers or no. Especially the people who made Soul Caliber. Really? The makers/distributors of that big a game couldn't just deal with it and show this guy for the moron he is? I'm not sure what confuses me more... the fact that this guy even tried this, or the fact that people let him get away with it.

The reason people dont go to court is that any half decent (as in skill not morales) lawyer can tie up proceedings for quiet a long time, and during that time you cant publish the title in question...so you are not getting returns on your investment, and you are losing the title launch window ( a title launched too long after the hype would suffer as a result of the delay ).

Essentially a large part of trademark trolling is timing , as the article indicated.
I would be suprised if a court actually ruled in favour of Tim in most of these cases but as already stated , the time involved would ruin most indie devs and ruin investment even to a large name dev house.

Thats how large companies / corperate entities successfully bully individuals and smaller entities... by threatening legal actions where the lawyers hold up proceedings for years until the targets funds dry up and they can no longer afford to continue proceedings...and must default.

Justice my friends, is expensive... and just cause doesnt pay the bills.

I want to rip his throat out from under his head, stuff it full of copyright papers soaked in gasoline, ignite the papers and feed it back to him.

Couldn't the game's creator/Mobigames just choose another, arbitrary word to name the game that this Tim Langdell douche wouldn't be able to guess beforehand and therefore couldn't run out and trademark it like the little weasel he is?

If the only issue is the name, wouldn't it makes sense to just change it now, and give the asshole what little money he'd actually get from the sale of the game when it was actually named Edge and then write him out of their lives for good? It wouldn't be a flawless victory, but at least the guy who actually made the game could get on with his life and see a real cashflow from his hard work.

There's tons of synonyms for 'edge'. Langdell can't have a supposed trademark on them all. I rather like the idea of naming it Brink myself.

Perhaps I'm just too far from the issue to be sure of what I'm talking about...

Izzil : It was after Mobigames got good reviews and initial hype on the game Edge that Tim sent the lawyers after Mobigames, ie after the game got recognition... changing the name at that stage is the equivilant to hyping Halo 4 , and releasing bolo 4.

One of these days, this guy is going to get on the bad side of an individual with mafia connections and "vanish".

Seriously, the real reason you don't employ business tactics like this is because, while it works in the short run, it's a bad idea to be a thorn in many sides.

And I too am a bit confused about how he can do this, since the trademark department requires you to prove that you're using a trademark in commerce and that you cannot hold onto it indefinitely if you have no product for it.

SpaceGhost2K:

scifidownbeat:

SpaceGhost2K:
There is only one solution.

Sue him out of existence.

Monopoly, restraint of trade, harassment, whatever. Someone like EA needs to go after him, and get a settlement so large that he'll never have money to pursue litigation again.

Then they need to make a game called "Edge of Edges."

You, sir, have just made my "Top 10 posts" list's number 2 spot.

That thought is eerily attractive; the legal evil of one man versus the legal evil of a developer-swallowing conglomerate.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks. Actually, Susan A and I have a history.

*snicker*

Nothing like that. She just bought a custom faceplate from me. :)

Two, actually. :) And wrote an article about you.

Susan Arendt:
Hey, hey, let's stop wishing physical harm on the guy, ok? Karma, people, karma.

I think when it comes to this prick Karma will turn a blind eye. Now where's my blunt instrument gotten to..

Susan Arendt:

SpaceGhost2K:

scifidownbeat:

SpaceGhost2K:
There is only one solution.

Sue him out of existence.

Monopoly, restraint of trade, harassment, whatever. Someone like EA needs to go after him, and get a settlement so large that he'll never have money to pursue litigation again.

Then they need to make a game called "Edge of Edges."

You, sir, have just made my "Top 10 posts" list's number 2 spot.

That thought is eerily attractive; the legal evil of one man versus the legal evil of a developer-swallowing conglomerate.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks. Actually, Susan A and I have a history.

*snicker*

Nothing like that. She just bought a custom faceplate from me. :)

Two, actually. :) And wrote an article about you.

I didn't want to be cocky. :)

You need to interview me again. I have more news.

This article serves as a prime example of how ridiculous some of the modern laws surrounding copyright and trademarks are. Whether what this Tim Langdell is doing is morally or legally correct or not, it definitely creates a large stain against the standards upon which copyright law is based.

Personally, I hope the game is allowed to return to the Apple Store under its original name, and if not, then the developer should be offered some kind of compensation for all the hoops this guy has made him jump through.

And I suppose if Mr. Langdell and myself met at all he'd probably get a kick in the balls.

I did not know that about Soul Edge. All in all this is a pretty funny way to cash in on companies that give games poor names.

What I find most interesting is that this guy knows who frivolous he's being. From what I can tell, he never went after Mirror's Edge and I would bet it is because that would involve legally battling someone who has the money to kill the money machine. I am very surprised that Namco didn't do that way back in the 90s with Soul Edge.

Wow that Langdell bloke sounds like a total toss pot, I'm praying for a legal battle that will show him to be the total ass hat he really is and royally fudge his career of shady copyright lawsuits.

So the "Chaos Engine" think tank, has the Bitmap brothers tried a lawsuit on them for the name being used?

Saphatorael:
What. An. Arse.

How the hell did he even get in the board of the IGDA? And why hasn't he been booted yet? This is just too stupid for words :-/

That is the exact same thing I came here to say. This is a very serious question mark on the credibility of the IGDA.

Tim should die in a fire...

Technically. It's also legal for a no-talent imbecile to stand next to a brilliant street musician and threaten to blow an air horn until the musician forks over 10% of their tips. You can get away with stuff like this as long as you don't mind being hated, shunned, and reviled by every decent human being in the civilized world.

The music industry dose this all the time....
==================

IP/Pantent/ copy rights we need to set stricter definitions and values for them, least everything is owned by a few conglomerates...

Wow, that article was pretty... EDGY!!! THAT'S RIGHT, COME AND GET ME, TIM!!!

I really thought this was a joke until the end of the first page. I can't believe someone would do this! (wait a minute, hasn't this same story happened with Apple Mac, Transformers, Jack Thompson "I'm OK!", and Donald Trump? I think it's the same thing.)

Lawyers should die in a fire, people like Tim should follow them in. Or at least hit them where it hurts, their wallets...

The Rogue Wolf:
And here we have a case-in-point as to why the United States copyright and patent systems need to be burned to the ground and rebuilt from scratch. As if Amazon.com patenting the concept of "one-click checkout" wasn't proof enough.

I agree entirely. Any legal loophole that makes perpetual extortion legal needs to be stricken from the record. Trademark is supposed to be protecting companies from copycats riding on (and perhaps tarnishing) their good name. Copyright is supposed to give small-time innovators a chance to make their move before copycats flood the market. Patents are supposed to encourage people to share their ideas (into the public domain) by granting them a temporary exclusivity to use those ideas. All of these things have somehow transformed into ways to take trivial, mundane, obvious ideas, give their creator (or at least the loudest claimant) nearly perpetual exclusivity, and extort every real innovator out of their hard-earned money. Where did we go wrong?

shaderkul:

Saphatorael:
What. An. Arse.

How the hell did he even get in the board of the IGDA? And why hasn't he been booted yet? This is just too stupid for words :-/

That is the exact same thing I came here to say. This is a very serious question mark on the credibility of the IGDA.

because IGDA is bathed in the putrescent nectar of corruption. first mike capps, now this? on the same board is a representative from EA. i'm sure they had no problem figuring out the details of mirror's edge.

VitalSigns:
Edge is a fun iphone game, this guy is absolutely ridiculous. How does he sleep at night?

On a waterbed, filled with the tears of orphans. Which he got by sueing their orphanages for having edges. Tim can now sleep comfortably on their pain. Because he won't know I'm watching until it's too late.

theklng:

shaderkul:

Saphatorael:
What. An. Arse.

because IGDA is bathed in the putrescent nectar of corruption. first mike capps, now this? on the same board is a representative from EA. i'm sure they had no problem figuring out the details of mirror's edge.

Can someone explain the Mike Capps story to me? I haven't heard it so I don't know what you're talking about when people bring it up.

Wow, that's fucking revolting.

To think a man (if he's even worthy of such designation) has survived, and even thrived, for so long by leeching off the contributions of those with a spark of creativity.

I believe Andrew Ryan called such people "the Parasite."

SpaceGhost2K:

theklng:

shaderkul:

Saphatorael:
What. An. Arse.

Can someone explain the Mike Capps story to me? I haven't heard it so I don't know what you're talking about when people bring it up.

feel free to take some initiative by doing a google search.

theklng:

SpaceGhost2K:

theklng:

shaderkul:

Saphatorael:
What. An. Arse.

feel free to take some initiative by doing a google search.

I did that, thank you. Fortunately, I didn't have to wade through countless whining. I found one article with a face to face interview that very much puts me on Mike's side in that brouhaha.

SpaceGhost2K:
I did that, thank you. Fortunately, I didn't have to wade through countless whining. I found one article with a face to face interview that very much puts me on Mike's side in that brouhaha.

so you argue that employees should work 60+ hours a week when working on a project?

theklng:

SpaceGhost2K:

so you argue that employees should work 60+ hours a week when working on a project?

All of the time? No. Occasionally? Yes. Which is his point in the article. He said the same thing the year before and no one said a word, but for some reason when it was said this year, people freaked out. Most of that was a knee-jerk response to the "EA Spouse" issue, where indeed, the situation was not being handled properly.

I don't know if you read the Joystiq interview that I did - I'd give you a link, but since you simply suggested that I "Google it" instead of being helpful, I'll do the same - Capps stated that they have a 1% voluntary employee turnover in an an industry that runs 12-15%. Employees like the benefits, like the environment, and understand what it means to put in extra hours at crunch time. No, it would not work if they did that all the time, and Capps addresses that.

Nobody's complaining about farmers or doctors or soldiers working more than 40 hours a week. There were times in a simple retail job where I had to work 55-60 hours a week because of staff shortages. It happens. In this industry where there are deadlines that have to be met ("Oh, ask E3 to wait a week. We're not done with the demo and we can't work over 40 hours."), you just do what you have to do.

SpaceGhost2K:

theklng:

SpaceGhost2K:

All of the time? No. Occasionally? Yes. Which is his point in the article. He said the same thing the year before and no one said a word, but for some reason when it was said this year, people freaked out. Most of that was a knee-jerk response to the "EA Spouse" issue, where indeed, the situation was not being handled properly.

i'm not sure how to respond to this, frankly. i mean, if you have a regular 9 to 5 job set at 37.5 hours a week (which as far as europe goes at least is the norm), wouldn't you then be surprised if suddenly your schedule got reworked so that for ~2 months or so have to work for almost the double amount of time?

not only is it illegal to issue overtime work without consent from the employee (for 48+ hours in the UK; source), but what if you wouldn't get paid for that overtime either? wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake?

the problem is that crunching in the game industry has become the norm, and this opens up a large hole for employers to exploit. what if you were in a situation where you would get fired if you refused to do the overtime that from your employer's point of view was necessary? what about your quality of life outside of work? or even your physical health?

... and you agree on this? you think it's fair to abuse employees for the gain of the company? or that employees may get overstressed, and as a result, falls ill?

I don't know if you read the Joystiq interview that I did - I'd give you a link, but since you simply suggested that I "Google it" instead of being helpful, I'll do the same - Capps stated that they have a 1% voluntary employee turnover in an an industry that runs 12-15%. Employees like the benefits, like the environment, and understand what it means to put in extra hours at crunch time. No, it would not work if they did that all the time, and Capps addresses that.

yes it's the very same interview.

Nobody's complaining about farmers or doctors or soldiers working more than 40 hours a week. There were times in a simple retail job where I had to work 55-60 hours a week because of staff shortages. It happens. In this industry where there are deadlines that have to be met ("Oh, ask E3 to wait a week. We're not done with the demo and we can't work over 40 hours."), you just do what you have to do.

so just because every steals, does that make it a legal action to perform?

the answer is no, and just because you have had it happened to you that you had to work long hours or otherwise, it doesn't mean that it should continue. it doesn't mean that it should decrease your quality of life or make you physically or mentally ill. there are laws for these issues for a reason.

a good project manager will know how to schedule deadlines or milestones so that the most risky, critical or otherwise difficult components won't be made last minute. then, if E3 was coming along, you wouldn't the problem of working 60 hours up until game day. you would, in other words, be prepared instead of unprepared.

i could write much more about this, but i suspect you'll get the gist of this.

Susan Arendt:
Hey, hey, let's stop wishing physical harm on the guy, ok? Karma, people, karma.

[Takes deep breath... exhales slowly.]

...GRAAAAAAAAAAH!!! *ahem* This article makes me very angry and my psycho-emotional maturity is not beyond wishing physical harm on... *gags a little* Tim. However, I guess I can refrain from voicing such wishes.

At the very least, I hope the IGDA have a ballot among their members, and a vote of no confidence is passed. Furthermore, I hope Mister *gag* Langdell is alienated by all his friends and associates, treads in more dog poo than is statistically probable, can never again find matching socks... and develops a phobia of rabbits to boot.

Oh yes; my wrath is fearsome... fear it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here