The Escapist Presents: Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Preview: Xbox Dashboard Update

The Escapist previews the Xbox Dashboard update set to go live this Monday.

Watch Video

Makes me miss my 360 :' (

Is this just a USA thing or is it happening in the UK as well?

Liking the look of it, monday can't come soon enough!

Wow, never thought I'd say that...

looks interesting, i have to admit the unlock system for getting avatar items is a really good idea, it gives me even more of a reason to get those really hard achievements.

edit:
and now i can go around pretending to be Psychic until monday.
mwhahahaha!

Meh, looks alright. Bets on how many kids will put on the spartan armor when it becomes available?

Also, did you guys see the prices? Seems a little much.

Thank god, I hated the last one they did.

So, it's not giving me a choice between NXE menu or blade system? Because I really preferred the blade system.

JRCB:
Meh, looks alright. Bets on how many kids will put on the spartan armor when it becomes available?

my guess, all of them.

yeah 320 MS points for a toy warthog, i mean the gamerpictures cost only 80 points and by the looks of it all you do with the toy is watch your avatar play with it.

So, wait, I have to pay for some decorations for the my avatar? Hmm... I could do that, or I could save my money and buy games. This is a tough call.

Looking great, really.

Shame us Europeans don't get netflix, it's horrible.

Hmmm, new avatar stuff, cool, I guess, I just hope I can unlock some reward stuff, I probably will in Halo: Reach, and I hope games like AC2 is supported, an Ezio cape could be cool. xD

Not sure if I'd probably buy anything, MAYBE ONE THING, but I'd probably feel guilty after.

Hmmm, nice background music. xD

gamekid171:

JRCB:

my guess, all of them.

yeah 320 MS points for a toy warthog, i mean the gamerpictures cost only 80 points and by the looks of it all you do with the toy is watch your avatar play with it.

Stuff ranges in price from 80 points up to the 320 you saw for the Warthog. (Well, the stuff that's in there now, anyway.) Whether or not it's worth the price is, obviously, very much in the eye of the beholder. I'd happily pay a buck for a piece of clothing I really liked, but that's me.

Also, I believe this is US only.

Susan Arendt:

gamekid171:

JRCB:

my guess, all of them.

Stuff ranges in price from 80 points up to the 320 you saw for the Warthog. (Well, the stuff that's in there now, anyway.) Whether or not it's worth the price is, obviously, very much in the eye of the beholder. I'd happily pay a buck for a piece of clothing I really liked, but that's me.

Hopefully Canada too. I want this stuff.

And maybe make a Warthog racing game to go with the toy?

Having never owned a 360 that's a pretty impressive interface.

Come on microsoft put in facebook and twitter!

Cool, but i knew paying for avatar stuff would come eventually. on a side note can you alter the color of your clothes for free yet?

All looks a bit rubbish to be honest. It would be nice if they'd made this update when everything was done.

Awards was the one thing I was really looking forward to. Props do look pretty cool though.

I'm afraid of how the majority of the people are going to use this rating system. The idea itself is really good, but the online crowd doesn't seem to be able to rate things fairly.
Example, the player review function. The majority of people only votes you negatively if you win, regardless of playing style or lag.

That being said, I can't wait to mess around with it. I want a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

Aiden Rebirth:
Cool, but i knew paying for avatar stuff would come eventually. on a side note can you alter the color of your clothes for free yet?

Nope.

Yeah, I'm not big on the buying stuff for the avatar. And the rating system is like the rating system for Flixter- People are only going to rate stuff that's either incredibly good or incredibly bad. Actually, it may be more for crappy ones since it seems a bit hard to get to.

Then again, this assumes most of the Xbox users can even figure out what a rating IS.

Addition: The arcade game 'splosion game will be the first to award stuff for your avatar
(based on the last majornelson podcast)

EMFCRACKSHOT:
Is this just a USA thing or is it happening in the UK as well?

Everything except the netflix stuff... but i heard microsoft made a contract in the uk with a company called 'sky" that is similar to netflix

I hope that comes along soon. :/

I can almost promise you that that the many chans are going to muck with the ratings on XBL just like they did with google searches, pushing all the most terrible applications to the top of the list.

Good but I need to point out one flaw in your reveiw. The system that allows you to see how many Gamerscore you could have gotten out of the total is already there. Now maybe it hasn't been out in America before but we have had it in Ireland since the last update.

Susan Arendt:

Aiden Rebirth:

Nope.

damn. I sick of the only shirt they give you that I would actually wear being purple.

Agent Larkin:
Good but I need to point out one flaw in your reveiw. The system that allows you to see how many Gamerscore you could have gotten out of the total is already there. Now maybe it hasn't been out in America before but we have had it in Ireland since the last update.

it's sort of there in the US. It's ascetically different, and it appears it's in a different place than before.

I really hope this is gonna be in the UK; I assume it will be, but you can't be sure.

And finally, a better way to show off how much of an Achievement Whore I am! I'm tellin's ya, them bleep-bloops just ain't cuttin' it any mores!

Achievements may actually be worth something if they decide to tie them to the "awards" section.

Im glad to get the achievement progress stats BACK. (They took it out with the first big update that added avatars) I had fun knowing what my 1000th achievment was. (Ironically, it was beating Halo 3 on Legendary)
Paying for avatar items however...well
I wont be buying any.

Rating system is a interesting idea. But it reality, is will succeed of fail. No middle ground.

What!? Microsoft didn't deliver on all of its promises! Well isn't that new and different.

Wow, actually buying stuff for your Avatar with real money? I find that concept quite pointless. It would be like paying the Escapist to have your Avatar on display. absolutely pointless and shows that Micro$oft are just bigger money grabbers than we knew.

So....is Canada getting this or not?

Susan Arendt:

gamekid171:

JRCB:

my guess, all of them.

and this is why I wish to kill Microsoft alltogether I mean in europe as in real Europe cuz england is getting the SKY feature We're missing out ON EVERYTHING it's like keeping a starving dog next to a case of meat which he never can open but always will smell

Hmm... buying clothes... only if the Hitman Suit is there.

didn't we already have a dashboard update this year? Or was that late last year? it wasn't long ago, I know that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here