Step Away From The Controller

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Step Away From The Controller

Is Obama on an anti-gaming crusade?

Read Full Article

You know, even having read that, I'd generally agree with him.
Of course, I was instilled with a strong sense that kids should be playing outside rather than gaming. During snow days for me, it was run around 'till you couldn't feel your legs, then come inside with hot cocoa and play Halo co-op with your sister.

I perfectly agree with both of you but I'm the exact person that gets made into an example. I want to get up and do stuff but nothing I could do would be as interesting as what the tv does for me.

Erana:
You know, even having read that, I'd generally agree with him.
Of course, I was instilled with a strong sense that kids should be playing outside rather than gaming. During snow days for me, it was run around 'till you couldn't feel your legs, then come inside with hot cocoa and play Halo co-op with your sister.

Agreed. Although video games and gamers shouldnt try to become too ploticized...

When i was growing up you couldnt pay me to stay inside while there was sunlight. That was the biggest punishment my mother would dish out. I could of cared less about the NES or the SNES being taken away just dont take away my chance to play with my friends outside. Somehow that is no longer the case with todays kids. They just want to sit indoors, to me thats really sad. Get some friends, scrape your knees, be the social animal people naturally are, reality is always much better and stranger than fiction.

The gamers that sit in front of the TV for hours on end are the people my age. When I was a kid, my mom did daycare out of the house, so we had an NES with at least 30 games, but you'd be hard pressed to find me playing games on most days. Between baseball, basketball, football, karate, swimming, boy scouts, school, great weather during summer vacation, it's easy to say video games were toward the bottom of the list.

On the other hand, the current generation is growing up with a cell phone in their hand and the internet at their fingertips. They are connected 24/7 and that is how they communicate with each other. Some take it too far, but just like when I was growing up, the curiosity of life naturally brings people out of the house. They may still have the cell phone in hand, sending multiple texts to their friends, but that's just what happens as our culture evolves.

I think you're right, but I just want to know why everyone blows up whenever somebody mentions gaming being "Bad for your health" or "Promoting a sedentary lifestyle." But as soon as Obama says it, it's "OMIGOD WE HAVE TO GET THE KIDS OUTSIDE!"

I don't think hypocrisy's the right word, but it's fucking annoying.

Blame the parents, they are the ones buying the kids their games. It is their responsibility to kick their kids outside and not blame videogames.
I remember being a kid and having to do chores around the house for like 25-50 cents and saving up for a game. Nowadays kids going into stores with their parents and foam at the mouth while parents buy a handful of games.
I worked at a gamestop at some times and I would cry on the inside every time a parent would walk in and buy like 5 new releases while I could only afford 1 maybe 2 max and have to wait a month or two before I could save enough for another one.

I think it's still more of an anti-obesity crusade. God knows if I didn't have video games I'd be outside running laps around this giant lake.

I couldn't agree more. I read Gamepolitics.com all the time and I really think they have the wrong approach. I teach middle school and am disgusted at how many of my students don't have homework done and complain to me about being too busy, but can play Cod:WaW from 4 until 11. I know because I have their gamertags.

One kid came to school all sad because his dad was making him got to Six Flags one weekend and he wanted to play in a game tournament. He thought I would understand and he would get some sympathy from me.

This may seem like a different argument, but it's actually one in the same. Parents need to get their kids to put the controllers down and make sure they go outside and do their homework. All Obama is encouraging is responsible parenting and I'm all for that.

I may play video games a lot now, but I'm also a martial arts instructor and I would love to see parents encouraging their kids to come to Aikido. The kids would be active and the parents would be taking an active role in their kids' lives.

Ya know as a member of the ECA when I got that e-mail saying to send a response back to President Obama I was conflicted. I knew he was right. However it is the interpretation that people make of his statement that creates the reaction. Also the audience is to be put into thought as well.

Some will say that what Obama said was to get kids outside. Some believe that Obama meant that kids should not play video games at all.

I can confidently say that the e-mail is still worth sending but right now Obama has more important things on his list. The ECA was formed to fight any badly written video game legislation and to form a community from the hobby of video games but the ECA is not meant to be just for gamers. The ECA is also meant for consumers to see how the ECA represent the good that can come from video games and be aware of the video game industry. It is all too often that when blanket statements like Obama's is made that the kneejerk reaction is to be considered negative because that is what the consumer thinks when the word video games come up and it is only begun to change because of the increased audience.

If anything what American citizen's need is an alternative to go outside. On the extreme there are a lot of reasons for Americans to not go outside anymore and socialize with their community which has multiple negative effects. First off is that the best socialization is with people in person, bar none. Bonding can only go so far with internet forums and Skype and there is a special feeling when that happens when people are there to be with you because they want to be.

Second is networking. American society is heavily reliant on people becoming employed not on their education or certification, or even an excellent portfolio but on their character. Applying for an industry one desires to work in such as the video game industry is difficult when a person has to apply as a blind applicant. There is nothing more alienating than the job interview because the point is to demonstrate your qualifications but at the same time to be yourself for the interviewer to see if the interviewee's personality will fit within the workplace.

President Obama is right that we need to put away the games but he needs to suggest that we supplement the games we play in excess with another activity. Much like he said the nation to wash our hands, it is also here that he must be more specific. We gamers love to be active but the chance to do so here in the United States is very difficult when there is nothing going for us.

Danhoyt:
I couldn't agree more. I read Gamepolitics.com all the time and I really think they have the wrong approach. I teach middle school and am disgusted at how many of my students don't have homework done and complain to me about being too busy, but can play Cod:WaW from 4 until 11. I know because I have their gamertags.

One kid came to school all sad because his dad was making him got to Six Flags one weekend and he wanted to play in a game tournament. He thought I would understand and he would get some sympathy from me.

This may seem like a different argument, but it's actually one in the same. Parents need to get their kids to put the controllers down and make sure they go outside and do their homework. All Obama is encouraging is responsible parenting and I'm all for that.

I may play video games a lot now, but I'm also a martial arts instructor and I would love to see parents encouraging their kids to come to Aikido. The kids would be active and the parents would be taking an active role in their kids' lives.

Yeah, but then you have the pretentious idiots who get offended when you mention they are a bad parent. No one wants to admit they are wrong because everyone thinks they have it all figured out.

You know, I'd actually feel like agreeing with Obama, but what with the violence that happens these days just outside your doorstep, I think it would be safer to just strap the PS3 to a treadmill and let the problem solve itself.

Well, it should have been known to anyone well before the election that Obama was planning an all out assault on video games as a platform to attacking greater freedom of speech issues. It's been on the democratic agenda for a while, and people in his Cabinet like Hillary cut their teeth on things like the Hot Coffee contreversy. The thing is that their smart and don't put all their eggs in one basket, they attack gaming on every front possible hoping that if they succeed on one front it will make things easier on the other fronts.

Truthfully the same criticisms of video games (including the fat, lazy, and stupid stuff) were made about comic books. That kid should be running around instead of reading "Tales From The Crypt", reading those funny books cause all his problems! OMG the violence, gore, and adult elements in these books are responsible for the problems today! ... and it just went on from there.

Let me be painfully blunt, no form of escapism is any more harmful than any other. People are going to find ways to lose themselves in fantasy. As society faces more problems, and the rat race grows more intense, you of course see more people seeking to lose themselves in whatever medium, this includes kids.

It's also important to note that we're dealing with "The Lost Generation" as well. Gen Xers had *NO* chance, we were told about this for decades. Sitting down and saying "see that 30 year old depressed nerd who never moved out of his parents house? video games caused that!" is simply a way of avoiding the whole issue that it's happened so frequently because the oppertunities that existed for Baby Boomers don't exist for Gen Xers because they are still held by Baby Boomers!

Okay, well enough rambling there, but I will also touch on another issue: The idea that kids should go outside and play.

Let's be blunt, society is what killed this. Yes, once there was a time when the neighborhood children would go romping through the streets getting into all kinds of mischief. Alas, while immortalized in Disney movies and family fare the reality is that people on the receiving end of having packs of kids running all over the place didn't much care for it. As a result in many areas unsupervised children roaming a neighborhood can get the parents in trouble. On a personal level, you might like the idea of the kids playing outside, but you don't want them running through YOUR yard.

The supervision aspect also become an issue because in a society where both parents are working, nobody is around to supervise the kids. At a certain age almost every kid needs to become self sufficient, and the only relatively safe place to be is in the home.

This is to say nothing of all of the predators, freaks, and sickos out there. When in many places you literally have a pusher on every corner, and kids disappear "going outside to play" in defiance of the general trends often enough to fill the walls of every Wal*Mart with notices... well you see the issues. For all their whining about their kids not being active, parents don't want them outside either.

"But Therumancer, what about going down to the local blacktop and shooting some hoops". Well sometime check out most of the places where "kids" play "Streetball". The "kids" are typically young adults, and mostly of the type few people want to be rolemodels or trust around their kids. As odd as it might sound a lot of these areas are now staked out by turf, sometimes by gangs, sometimes not, but in general a lot of the places NBA players from a generation or so again fondly reminice about will actually chase off children because they keep them reserved for "money games only". Simply put people gambling on the various games, matchups, and players. Too much is at stake at these "meets" for them to just move on and let a bunch of 10 and 12 year olds play, and after all they were there first (and trust me, someone is ALWAYS going to be there first). Not to mention of course all the pushers and such who hang out to sell to the winners, or bet their own money.

Heck, the 12 year old kid in the schoolyard might actually BE a pusher nowadays, they do try and get kids hooked that young.

The point of this is that with rare exception, kids don't roam for some pretty good reasons. In some places typically urban and suburban enviroments it's too dangerous, and even the whining parents realize this on some level. In more rural, and purely residential areas, the residents don't want the kids hanging out and might even have passed community rules about it.

Sure it would be nice if things were differant, but honestly Obama needs to work on changing the world, and honestly the kids are no longer where you start but the end result of certain efforts... and of course while everyone knows what needs to be done we spend all our time argueing about it and what order to do things in.

While somewhat misognyistic I will point out that Obama's efforts to get women to go to school and become more independant are sort of counter-productive with the idea of seeing more active children since it's ultimatly encouraging both parents to be out of comission. If you had more housewives like the much mocked "good 'ol days" then you might see more children roaming like the "good 'ol days" since there would be some degree of parental supervision as opposed to kids coming home to an empty house, or mostly being active when the parent who is doing a shift at home is so dead tired from work that all they can do is sleep.

Video games are just escapism and have NOTHING to do with the conditions that lead to people seeking them for escapism.

Make the world worth living in and then maybe more people will. Sadly I can't see Obama doing it because while well intentioned on many levels, he's too oriented on protecting the kinds of people that contribute to the problem. I'm for example the kind of guy who believes in building more prisons to warehouse the pushers and such, while turning more things like old school LA "CRASH" units and the disbanded NYC "Street Crimes Unit" with a free hand to sweep the trash off the streets so parents don't have to worry as much about their kids being outside (and I mean this literally, not as political rhetoric as many do). But Obama is the sort who might give a "tough on crime" speech but actually seems to be more about protecting the "rights" of criminals and human sleazepits than getting them off the streets.

If I was in power I would be hated so much that Bush would look popular in comparison. But I would get results. One of the problems with the US is that the people are resistant to sudden, radical change, and once changes start happening power shifts and it goes back in the other direction. I'd end that. You'd have unprecedented free speech with which to express your hate for me, as I turned cops loose with authority in some areas that would make Judge Dredd look like Andy Griffith.

Okay, okay. I'm going too far and this is too long and rambling. I doubt many even read this far (if you did, award yourself 2 kewkie points and list them somewhere on your profile).

I agree with both of you. Too much video games are bad for you. It's as simple as that. That doesn't mean they're bad. Too much food is bad for you, so is too much time spent inside reading a book. It's just about moderation, that's all.

Therumancer:
random crap

I dont even know where to begin to critisize all that you just typed, i dont even know if i have the patience to type that much. More housewives? Are you serious? Im sorry but you really are the buzzkill of the escapist.

I am glad i am one of those kinds who actually go out and do stuff.

i ride my bike several miles to friends houses... to play video games.
I play an instrament.... wait does Guitar Hero count?
I.... AH! I Scuba Dive (No bs i swear!). that is physical activity that doesnt tie into gaming!

Well said. The guy can't even use videogames as a metaphor and everyone is on his throat. Are we, gamers, so scarred by years of being considered nerds that we cannot live with anyone not lauding them as a higher art form?

Also, I'd vote for Therumancer. Of course, I'm not American, but if he succeeded I'd stage a coup and do the same thing in Brazil. If he didn't, hey, cheaper imports!

megapenguinx:
I think it's still more of an anti-obesity crusade. God knows if I didn't have video games I'd be outside running laps around this giant lake.

I agree with this. Up until the age of 12 I was fine. I didnt care much for video games, then i moved around and got disconnected and my PS2 became all i did during the summer until i was in school, got forced interaction and made friends, then all the games took a back seat for a while. However most kids once ripped from the social womb find friends in their games and thusly gain weight, and become anti-social. If i could i would be doing laps up and down my street

I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with your (America's) current slave-master (President), gaming isn't everything... But neither is Facebook, MySpace or Twitter. All of which I think are much larger threats to the well-being of the human-race, as well as being the worlds most popular penis-length competitions... Yeah, that's right, I went there.

--Xvito, fearing for the worlds future excellency.

Video games are an art form, and thus can be used for good as well as evil. "Instill a sense of excellence in your children" is a great moral, and we can use video games to do so. It's not like all we play is Galaga (although I freakin' love that game).

Funny I actually agree as well. There's SO much more to do outside than just sitting around playing games, BUT...

Some of us don't have that choice.

I met a guy on an MMO some years ago who played his character with a keyboard that he could only work with his mouth. And he was still a good player, which takes a lot more dexterity than I have.

Games aren't evil, but they're not all we have either. Enjoy the sunshine sometime (or moon if you're as white as me :))

I don't go outside, because, I have nothing to do. I don't like my neighbors, considering how I live in a neighborhood full of trailers that look like shit, one of my neighbors is a believed drug dealer, and I don't want to get to know any of my neighbors. Yeah, I'm judging a book by it's cover, but I don't care. If you live in a trailer that looks like it's been through a Nuclear bomb test...I honestly don't want to walk to your house and knock on your door to hang out... and then, there is nothing else to do around my town. So I generally just stay at home.

JimmyBassatti:
I don't go outside, because, I have nothing to do. I don't like my neighbors, considering how I live in a neighborhood full of trailers that look like shit, one of my neighbors is a believed drug dealer, and I don't want to get to know any of my neighbors. Yeah, I'm judging a book by it's cover, but I don't care. If you live in a trailer that looks like it's been through a Nuclear bomb test...I honestly don't want to walk to your house and knock on your door to hang out... and then, there is nothing else to do around my town. So I generally just stay at home.

My neighbour hood at my mums is similar, not nearly so bad though, so I have a similar reason for playing video games. So I get we're you're coming from too. But still, after a while, don't you get bored and want to go outside and chill with friends?

Asciotes:

JimmyBassatti:

My neighbour hood at my mums is similar, not nearly so bad though, so I have a similar reason for playing video games. So I get we're you're coming from too. But still, after a while, don't you get bored and want to go outside and chill with friends?

Considering how both of my friends are annoying, and a lot of my friends don't live near me, yes, I do. But, as stated above, there is nothing to do. And I'm not the type of person to just "chill". It usually ends up being "We do something, or I go back inside and keep playing [insert game here]."

Malygris:

Is Obama on an anti-gaming crusade?

No.

I think we can all acknowledge that too much drinking is bad for you, as is eating too much or watching too much TV.

It's strange that we can't admit that gaming too much is bad. That's common sense.

xmetatr0nx:

Therumancer:
random crap

I dont even know where to begin to critisize all that you just typed, i dont even know if i have the patience to type that much. More housewives? Are you serious? Im sorry but you really are the buzzkill of the escapist.

Yes, I suppose for some I am a buzzkill.

But still, let's address the one point you mentioned: Housewives

It's a dirty word in terms of the new empowered woman, but think of it this way. One of the things that always brought stability and defined the way children developed was someone being home for them, making it a home. That role has typically been the mother, and women are ideally suited for it temperment wise.

Oh sure, you could be politically correct and point out that there could be "Househusbands" as well, or simply say that the parents need to be there for their kids generically, but there IS a reason why concepts like "Daddy Daycare" recurr in the cinema: because it doesn't usually work and the reasons why can be humorized easily because they are true.

So basically, with both parents out working, we've got NOBODY home watching the children and we're noticing the results now that this has become a practical reality. Everyone recognizes the problem, but of course nobody wants to be un-PC and say flat out that for proper child development as we have seen, we need stay at home mothers.

The result of not doing this is what you see. Unsupervised latchkey kids growing up with nobody present to rely on in an increasingly dangerous enviroment. People of course refuse to acknowlege that anything could be less than perfect about the way women's sufferage has worked out so of course all of these issues must be caused by something else. God forbid that children being raised by strangers (or raising themselves) could have negative effects, or produce sociopathic behavior.

Despite how it might sound, I'm not a sexist who thinks women are inferior or anything. I'm just being a realist. I'll also be honest in saying that right now at a time when we have an increasingly bad economy and the number of decent jobs with which people can support themselves are shrinking, it's not the best idea for someone to be screaming "yes ladies, go out and grab the power! Fight for those jobs, Boo yaah!".

If anything rather than attacking video games, I think we're at a point where we should be providing some balance and promoting the idea that there really is nothing wrong with being a home maker. Especially with the problems we are dealing with.

Trust me, both parents working and nobody around who is awake or whatever when the kids are around probably has more to do with a lot of the problems we're seeing than any form of escapism they might be using.

Video Games are however a conveinent target, look at how badly you freaked when I talked about a big issue like Homemaking and women staying at home to be mothers. It's easier to attack video games and pretend your doing something, than deal with a REAL issue which is going to upset someone no matter what you do. As a result American society continues to decay as problems become worse and worse and people dance around them hoping someone else will adress the big questions and committ political suicide, so they don't have to (and can keep bidding for popularity and re-election).

The issue I mention is just one of many similar elephants basically sitting in the middle of the political conferance table that nobody wants to address.

There is no nice way to say what I have said, without upsetting somebody. This is why for example if I was somehow in charge, I would be the least popular leader in history. I'd be going after all the big issues and doing something. No matter what I did a ton of people would be VERY angry but in the end after I was crucified people would enjoy the benefits of what I did while referring to me in hushed tones reserved for Hitler and The Devil.

I don't hate women, but I do think women are simply better/more tolerant/more empathic when it comes to raising children than guys are. I also believe that every kid needs to have a parental figure around to be involved in their life as part of proper development, and that is the way things have worked out for the best. The mother is there providing stability, the father is present less but also comes in to provide guidance, and a male role-model. Single parents can do the job somewhat, but it works best with a pair and one being at home.

However in today's society believing in the classic family structure makes me an anethema.

Therumancer:
holy jesus

Well now i have more proof, thanks buzzkilington...

Seriously though, all that you just stated is a matter of opinion. A man can do just a good enough of a job at taking care of children as a woman. Granted there is the whole women being just mothers that runs through history but i think we have progressed enough where that doesnt matter anymore. Both parents around is the ideal way, but we cant have everything its up to the individual to do the best with what they have.

Secondly i didnt freak out at all, i was just bored and i really dislike when people reply to me or anything else with a 2 page essay of an opinion. You seem to fancy doing that...i guess if you have nothing better to do keep it up. Also not everything should be a political issue, we dont need politicians of any kind telliing anyone how to be good parents. Its sad that they feel the need to anyway. You seem to be heavily biased by your political leanings, which is fine just understand that not everyone gives a shit.

xmetatr0nx:

Therumancer:
holy jesus

Well now i have more proof, thanks buzzkilington...

Seriously though, all that you just stated is a matter of opinion. A man can do just a good enough of a job at taking care of children as a woman. Granted there is the whole women being just mothers that runs through history but i think we have progressed enough where that doesnt matter anymore. Both parents around is the ideal way, but we cant have everything its up to the individual to do the best with what they have.

Secondly i didnt freak out at all, i was just bored and i really dislike when people reply to me or anything else with a 2 page essay of an opinion. You seem to fancy doing that...i guess if you have nothing better to do keep it up. Also not everything should be a political issue, we dont need politicians of any kind telliing anyone how to be good parents. Its sad that they feel the need to anyway. You seem to be heavily biased by your political leanings, which is fine just understand that not everyone gives a shit.

While I tend to ramble off track, how is Obama talking about the negative effects of video games on children and society not a political issue? Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying.

Please note I'm not attacking this just because it's Obama, but because of the issue itself.

Therumancer:
While I tend to ramble off track, how is Obama talking about the negative effects of video games on children and society not a political issue? Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying.

Please note I'm not attacking this just because it's Obama, but because of the issue itself.

Well the issue is much more broad than just gamers. There is a health problem of obesity in this country. When this problem becomes an issue with our children it means that in the long run it will become even more costly. What happens when these kids grow up as adults with serious obesity related health complications, regardless of what party is in office in the future they will have to deal with it. Thats all there really is to it, and it seems to me that if someone states something as simple as that as long as they are in the political party they agree with then its all ok. If the opinion should come from someone of their rival party all of a sudden its a debatable issue, your arguments are filled with that bias. We do have a health problem, derailing that simple fact because its currently being undertaken by a political party you dont agree with doesnt help.

EDIT: I know this was a little off your reply, but i had to address this fundamental issue in your arguments.

I wouldn't say he is on an anti-gaming crusade until he starts calling for bans on violent video games.

Personally, I agree with this one. Rather than trying to "reform" healthcare, he should actually be doing more of this. And if he does "reform" healthcare, I wouldn't even mind it if Obama personally went door to door and ripped the video game controllers out of people's hands. Our social programs are taxed because everyone assumes that when they can't take care of themselves, someone else will.

xmetatr0nx:

Therumancer:

Well the issue is much more broad than just gamers. There is a health problem of obesity in this country. When this problem becomes an issue with our children it means that in the long run it will become even more costly. What happens when these kids grow up as adults with serious obesity related health complications, regardless of what party is in office in the future they will have to deal with it. Thats all there really is to it, and it seems to me that if someone states something as simple as that as long as they are in the political party they agree with then its all ok. If the opinion should come from someone of their rival party all of a sudden its a debatable issue, your arguments are filled with that bias. We do have a health problem, derailing that simple fact because its currently being undertaken by a political party you dont agree with doesnt help.

EDIT: I know this was a little off your reply, but i had to address this fundamental issue in your arguments.

BUT in this paticular case video games are being used as a scapegoat for the issue. In reality the obesity problem is a universal one among first world countries where there is a lot of technology and automation as well as food being so easily accessible that people have a wide variety of options and can pretty much eat every meal for pleasure (ie what would taste good for dinner, rather than 'will I be able to eat dinner?' or only being given one option like a staple crop for the region... like say rice or potatoes). America whines the loudest about the problem, but in reality it seems a goodly portion of Europe has the same issues, it's just that nobody is exactly in a rush to dispute America's claim to be the porkiest nation on earth.

The issue here as being expressed however is directed at children and video games are being used as the scapegoat, when in reality (as I explained) there are a wider array of issues at hand than the video games. For example, are there parents around to take the children to a local playground and supervise them to begin with? Kids can't just run wild through the neighborhood as they did in the past. Even when it's safe, people just generally don't tolerate it.

I've never denied being very right wing on most issues, despite this site mostly being frequented (like a lot of fan/nerdom based sites) by lefties making my sentiments fairly unpopular. If anything I present balance by speaking from another perspective.

However in this case, it's not really about political leaning as the issues themselves. Sure, I'm not Obama's biggest fan in the world (I didn't vote for him obviously) but I don't attack him out of hand for no reason. Really here he's only being attacked based on what he said which was to use video games as a scapegoat for much larger issues which have nothing to do with video gaming.

Apologies for the length, but technically if you want to get "political" it would come down to techniques to solve the underlying problems. I for example favoriting very hard solutions which would involve giving police a free hand, and aiming them at the worst areas around. Leading to a lot of "death by cop" incidents and brandy new prisons being filled up as quick as we can build them. Left wingers favoring softer social solutions which sound wondeful on paper and I used to believe in once upon a time, but nowadays figure are worthless (where in turn to a left winger their methods are civilized, where I'm a brutal thug).

Face it, when it comes to issues of censorship, and using fandom (including video games) as an excuse for problems, I tend to go after pretty much everyone. I believe I've even gone after some pretty right wing folks on similar issues on this very site since I'm nothing if not consistant.

I spend most of the day playing video games, and I'm 3rd in my grade, 5th best athlete, and a very ambitious person, so meh.

Therumancer:
snip

Well yes and no, honestly i think that as a gaming community we tend to hype up if not embellish all the "blame video games" stories that come out, maybe cos we normally get so little attention. Are games the scapegoat? Its possible, though thats not to say other negative factors havent been brough up ad nauseam such as fast food and lack of physical education in schools. As for the family thing, i clearly remember Obama making points geared towards strengthening the family nucleus. Sure we arent the only country with the obesity problem, but, like everything else our actions are magnified on the world scale because we pride ourselves in being the most important country. Yes this issue has many sides to it and tackling just one wont solve the problem. Honestly though the rest is up to the individual. It should be enough that we get a warning about the state of our children, the rest is up to the parents (both of them).

As far as I can see, he isn't on an anti-anything crusade. If there is one thing he is doing is encouraging kids and people altogether alike to take time for more pursuits than just sitting in front of a tv drooling. The people that this upsets frankly upset me. But if you want to just sit in front of your tv or pc all day doing nothing but building up your gaming score, that is your right. Obama ain't stepping on your right. He is just exercising a moment of his time as a citizen of the US to encourage us to do something more. Something more, not something else. I will admit I spend a fair amount of time in front of my pc, but I try every day to offset it with some stuff around my house or elsewhere in town.
If your gamerscore is more important than your health, that's fine. Just don't come to me when you can't even run 5 paces or get a prognosis that you probably won't live past 40.

Therumancer:
Reference

I did take the time to read your post, and kudos to you to taking the time to present your point of view. If there is one flaw to this, is your expectation that one man should take care of all the problems we are experiencing today, especially those that discourage activities like going to shoot hoops. Those take a community effort, and shouldn't even need the actions of the President of the US. If you are concerned about gangs or groups that generate concern, then generate a community effort to either disband the gangs, or find ways to work with those groups to make the neighborhood friendlier as it may once have been. You may be very surprised how positive their response may be. It may also be a negative response, too, but doing nothing but crossing your fingers and hoping the problem goes away with some new law from Washington won't do any good. This might be your way of taking some time away from your games. I would prefer having someone suggest what I could do, than have someone tell me what I should do. Which is likely to have the better received response?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here