Wii Sports Resort

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Mm, what if Batman has a jet-pack? I mean he's building all sorts of gadgets in his Batcave.

Ha, loved the Wii Sports comments. I was never interested in Red Faction to begin with, but it gave me a few laughs anyway to read what he had to say.

Yahtzee, there is actually a few storage tank type things that when detonated release explosions of green, blue, and purple. The poor child doesn't need his brain checked, you just need to pay a bit more attention before calling someone crazy.

This is just more Red Faction: Guerrilla (of which he wouldn't care about if it wasn't called that, not so much whether the game is fun or not, plus I don't recall the game every being advertised as having stealth) and I thought this was a follow up on each game... unless everyone can agree Wii Sports Resort is a poor excuse of a greedy cash grab Nintendo style.

I won't one of the people dragged into playing Wii Sports Resort, or be forced to pay for something that fixes my Wii. It was a flaw they should of dealt with in the first place. Now they're forcing me to buy the peripheral to play most of the future Wii games.

No. No I won't. I'd rather pay for that Project Natal gimmick and cut my 'casual' gaming onto my Xbox 360, since Nintendo is just extorting more money than I seem necessary. I think it should be a choice to buy and use Wii Motion Plus in games and not be forced to pay for it. You pay for the bonus that the Wii gets your commands better or you live without it and do the usual remote waggling. But then again, Nintendo wouldn't get as many sales.

It just brings me back to the N64's Expansion Pack that did basically nothing to improve games IMO, yet games stopped you from playing them UNLESS you had an Expansion Pack. Why couldn't we compromise for a cheaper price?

But no. We're still treated like the gimmicky consumers we are. Thanks Nintendo!

Now to go to Microsoft and pay real money for clothing I won't ever wear. Dam you M$!

So this is a companion to every video from now on? I guess it helps clear up arguements and stuff on the Video comments, and lets you elaborate certain points that may seem ambigous.

I always thought that "Red Faction" was a rip-off of the "Half-Life" games. Even then, I thought the 'destructive terrain' thing was kind of cool for combat purposes as it means that some cover you or your enemies were relying on could be reduced to open gaps similar to the barricades in a "Space Invaders" game. There was one point I remember where I was having a gun battle with a bunch of guards on a cat-walk at the beginning and, somehow, a hole emerged through the cat-walk which allowed either the enemies (or more possibly) me to throw grenades down.

Even then, I doubt you could actually dig to the exit in the first "Red Faction" game as I recall that the only weapon which can do such a thing in the beginning was this rocket launcher-like weapon, but had limited ammo.

Though I doubt the destructive terrain served much in combat in the first game...Its been years since I played it and even then, it didn't really innovate anything.

Good comments on the "Wii Sports" game, though I'm a bit confused on the argument that this is not so 'immersive'.

Angrylemming:
I know what you mean. When I was playing Deus Ex there were parts where I was forced to abandon stealth and instead blast my way through. It worked but it sort of felt like cheating a bit that my mistake could be patched up with a few rockets to the face of whatever happened to be aiming a gun at me.

Actually, I like stealth games that work like that. Stealth, in and of itself, can get monotonous and boring if it's all you do in the game. I prefer an action game that encourages a stealth approach, much like Deus Ex. Sure you could have blasted every terrorist on Liberty Island to hell and back, charging into the fray each time, but it was more rewarding to creep from shadow to shrub, sneak up behind a thug and knock them out with a single jab from the stun prod. That was an action game that encouraged stealth so the action would happen on -your- terms.

solidstatemind:
I have high hopes for the new Thief game. Too bad we'll probably be waiting for 2 more years at least.

I wonder if Yahtzee is going to like the game Saboteur or however it is spelled. Personally I am not sold on it, however that may because it is set in France during WWII and we all should know how well the last game that did that worked out.

On the RF:G thing, there ARE green and purple explosions.

Was Wii Sports Gay Ba-I mean Resort made by Camelot? If so, GET TO WORK ON GOLDEN SUN 3, NOT THIS SHOVELWARE GARBAGE!

RF1's destructive environment was only good if used cheats to give yourself unlimited ammo. i remember one level where I was forced to use the cheat God-mode because all the snipers was armed the rail gun that shoots through walls with infinite range.

RF2 destructive enviroment only worked in certain levels and just like in 1 when you hit metal you couldn't get around it.

For the Redfaction series of games I believe they really don't implement a true destructive environment.

"Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction" on the other hand but you either need the latest and greatest GeForce card or Ageia made PhysX - a Physics Processing Unit chip, otherwise the game won't work. if does work on your system apparently this free game does implement destructive enviroment well for combat.

I think Yahtzee has set a dangerous precedent, responding to the fans.

I don't know why anyone would buy Wii Sports Resort. All it's good for is the Wii MotionPlus bundled with it, but there's better Wii MotionPlus bundles to choose from.

So the Red Faction team need to make a game with destructible buildings AND terrain.
Also AI that acts like its jacked up on ICE that spawns endlessly till the mission is complete is...annoying.

If its not possible to deliver stealth then developers shouldn't go anywhere near it.
Couldn't help but like the game though,though as yet no compulsion to play again.

As far as the Wii goes,I bought the damn thing for my girlfriend for Christmas.She picks games that don't really attempt to use the motion control,so basically its a wasted function,on her anyway.

Pankeyman:
Is it ok if I replace Superman with Batman? Or do I have to follow them to a T?

im sure thats fine lol

canadamus_prime:
Given a choice Yahtzee, I think I'd rather play Wii Sports Resort then any of your suggestions; but whatever floats your boat dude.

You prefer video game bowling to real life bowling? Heh, whatever floats your boat dude.

Never actually noticed this until just now but, Extra Punctuation?
How long has this been going on?

Curtmiester:
I've actually never played an awesome stealth game. So a really good one would be a sure buy for me.

Thief?

Stelman257:

canadamus_prime:
Given a choice Yahtzee, I think I'd rather play Wii Sports Resort then any of your suggestions; but whatever floats your boat dude.

You prefer video game bowling to real life bowling? Heh, whatever floats your boat dude.

That wasn't what I said... oh wait, I guess that is what I said. Well I was mostly referring to to the more bizarre suggestions like doing the impression of Superman with the bird on his arm.

Controller made of fruit? HOT DIGGTY DAFADOILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buying a frisbee: $1
Tipping a waiter in an extremely snooty, dismissive fashion: priceless

randommaster:

Podunk:

Pankeyman:
Is it ok if I replace Superman with Batman? Or do I have to follow them to a T?

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Batman can't fly. Or if he did, you'd just have to pretend to be sitting in first class or on a private jet or something.

What are you talking about? Batman would simply scowl at the air until it submitted to his whims and took him where he wanted to go.

When he's really pissed, he'll scowl at the fabric of reality and instantaniously warp to the people whose asses he wants to kick.

Batman: The new Chuck Norris.

I would try many of those suggestions, but a lot seem to involve a lot of unnecessary messiness. I think I'd rather go do the real thing and get necessarily messinessed. But I would grin at anyone who does at least 5 of those things in public, saving it on youtube.

Midnight0000:
Damn, now every time I play wii sports, I'm going to imagine those things instead. Get it out of my head!

You don't play WII sports you endure it.

Also I liked red faction 1 but I was also young and hadn't become an avid gamer so that might be the reason.

BlueInkAlchemist:
We definitely need a good stealth game. We also need a stealth game that incorporates the picking of locks, tapping of phone lines, and investigation of evidence pointing to terrorist activity rather than solving an international crisis by shooting anybody in the area who isn't white directly in their non-Caucasian faces.

Sid Meier's Covert Action did this waaaaay back in the day but such things are too boring for most people who consider Halo the pinnacle of an immersive action experience.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

You're welcome.

Wait, no one's commenting before they finish reading the article? No 'first!' comments?

I'm disappointed!

Damn, that article made my day, never laughed so hard so early in the morning before.

Mackinator:

Cheesebob:
That was hilarious, Mr Croshaw!

Also, what do you think of Hitman: Blood Money? That had the best of both worlds (if you were good enough)

Funnily enough I'm just off Blood Money and onto The Escapist. I started playing it a few days back and I agree. You can be stealthy when you want to for more of a challenge or you can run in all guns blazing when you just feel like killing all those Gun-wielding manics at the Wedding...

It was the opposite for me, I found the stealth easy but the going around guns blazing hard due to the lack of damage 47 could take.

Cheesebob:
~snip~
It was the opposite for me, I found the stealth easy but the going around guns blazing hard due to the lack of damage 47 could take.

I noticed that he couldn't take as much damage in this than previous ones too, but nothing can stop 47 with dual silverballers!

The reason I think its harder for me to stealth is because it takes much longer and I'm a little impatient...

I'm amazed by how accurate the examples for Wii Sports Resort movements are.

Well, I guess it';s just a novelty to me, then. The real thing will always be better than the virtual thing, so there's no way an argument can be had here. Even though i liked it. But that's just one person.

Who wants to make a picture of themselves playing these wii sports resorts games?

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Yahtzee provides some real world alternatives to the Wii Sports Resort activities.

Dear Yahtzee,

I do enjoy your Extra Punct. commentary. I suggest using some sort of
marker to identify the quoted comments, though, it is difficult to tell when timelord91 and pvtchunders comments begin. I suggest using the quote bbcodes familiar on the forums, or put them in bold, italics, or even center them on the page, to distinguish them from your own comments.

I look forward to seeing more of this in the future.

The first and third Tenchu games were fun stealth games. The great thing about them was the lovely blood that sprayed like an exploding ketchup bottle everytime you topped an enemy.

Shame the AI hasn't improved since those games.

Still isn't convincing me that Yahtzee reads anything here, or cares.

So you're continuing to acknowledge that you read the comments huh? Alright cool, just starting to wonder if this will become a regular thing, if so your reviews of big blockbusters will be funny from all of the fanboys having a circle-jerk/riot.

EDIT:

thiosk:
I suggest using some sort of
marker to identify the quoted comments, though, it is difficult to tell when timelord91 and pvtchunders comments begin. I suggest using the quote bbcodes familiar on the forums, or put them in bold, italics, or even center them on the page, to distinguish them from your own comments.

This would definitely be welcomed, can make your articles much easier to read.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here