The Pocket Gamer Report: iPhone Pirates Ahoy!

The Pocket Gamer Report: iPhone Pirates Ahoy!

There's no such thing as iPhone piracy. Or else.

Read Full Article

How people can not see how big a bunch of conmen Apple is simply astounds me. If you were to compare them, Apple is to Microsoft what Microsoft is to Linux. It's just that since Apple is 'hip' plenty of people are willing to swallow their bullshit and smile while asking for seconds.

Even though Apple frustrates me to no end, I can't help but feel very sorry for independent game devs in today's consumer culture.

Chaos Marine:
How people can not see how big a bunch of conmen Apple is simply astounds me.

Apple can ask what it wants of its developers. They are like Walmart, who holds a great deal of power over their suppliers given that a company can lose so much if their product is not "for sale" at their store...

But can anyone explain to me why piracy is so rampant on the iPhone?

I understand the appeal of piracy in general, but why is it so much larger than compared to piracy on other mediums?

And in context of my Walmart comparison, what is the point of developing a game for the iPhone? I mean...96% piracy...there just isn't a point then is there?

hansari:

And in context of my Walmart comparison, what is the point of developing a game for the iPhone? I mean...96% piracy...there just isn't a point then is there?

You are looking at a guy who made a crappy game. Should that game have been good he would have sold 500,000 copies and piracy would have been a negligible 10% or less.

As it was his game was horrible and nobody wanted to buy it, he only had 1000 people even want to try it when they could get it for free, and I am willing to bet that the majority of those people downloaded it as an update pack of apps.

There is always piracy, and there probably always will be. However the point here is that even on a closed system Apple is not doing much to help shield the developers from having their offerings easily pirated - then to top it off is getting mad at the developers when they speak out about the problem.

How does someone pirate an iphone game from itunes anyway? That is what I'd like to know since Apple normally gets the brand for being secure.

Also people will pay for apple products because it is the premium brand. It stuck to the old model that the best comparison I can think of is cars. For most people don't think of Ford cars to be high end like getting a dell. However an apple computer is considered to be like an audi or other high powered vehicle.

It may not be the actual best but apple supports that social status that people like to brag about. The computers hardware is just average compared to those who want to custom build but for most people who think they need a computer it looks like the computer is powerful. We know ipods are just average as mp3 players but they are the most sold because of the brand name.

Tenmar:
How does someone pirate an iphone game from itunes anyway? That is what I'd like to know since Apple normally gets the brand for being secure.

People who jailbreak their phones might be able to get a pay for app for free. I have a jailbroken phone, but Apple sends me receipts for when I download things, so I can't get apps for free.

Chaos Marine:
How people can not see how big a bunch of conmen Apple is simply astounds me. If you were to compare them, Apple is to Microsoft what Microsoft is to Linux. It's just that since Apple is 'hip' plenty of people are willing to swallow their bullshit and smile while asking for seconds.

I have to admit, I've come to the conclusion since I got an Apple and looked into developing for it, that Apple is the new Microsoft, the same way that Activision has become the new EA.

Ironic, both EA and Microsoft have made some improvements to their practices (not that many, but they seem to be trying), whilst Apple and Activision have gone down the same route as the others did, only worse - somehow, with Microsoft, you got at least picture bill Gates schemeing as a person, but Apple just comes across as a dark cabal with the figure head of Steve Jobs. Same with Activision.

SomeGuyNamedKy:

Tenmar:

People who jailbreak their phones might be able to get a pay for app for free. I have a jailbroken phone, but Apple sends me receipts for when I download things, so I can't get apps for free.

Yes you can. Everybody gets those receipts.
-
=

And also, a 96% percent piracy rate is complete bollocks. I can't imagine that more than 5%
percent of iphones are jailbroken.

Also, just becuse people can pirate something doesn't mean they will.
Here is the full list of apps on my jailbroken iphone;
iscrobbler.

I have one, free app. Personally, I don't think that any iphone games are worth the space, even if i can get them for free.
I have a iphone for iphone-ing, i have a pc for playing games.

Apple also accused people who jailbreak their iPhones of potentially giving malicious hackers the ability to knock transmitter masts offline which is the height of stupidity and at least doing it would be next to impossible to pull off. And Apple computers are about as secure as painting something in camo while sitting in front of a small bush. You just hope no one notices it because when people start to, there's going to be very little to stop it.

Look at the 2008 Blackhat event, the new Macbook Air got hacked in 2 bloody minutes! That was with software that came with the machine and nothing else. Vista wasn't hackable till they installed third party software like Adobe flash player and you know how secure those are... well if you don't, it's about as dangerous to your computer as letting Sony install their rootkit BS in your computer. Linux didn't even come close to being hacked.

Apple barely constitutes 10% of the market and usually when it's market share is mentioned, it's bundled with Hades only knows how many distros of Linux.

Then you have the latest version of it's OS, Leopard. Sweet merciful Hades, the thing is pretty much Unix with Apple stamped over it and any opensource tech chained down with the usual Apple crap. Even Safari is built on open source code. Do they give any credit to the original developers? No. They don't.

Then you have stuff like the iPod. No, Apple didn't didn't invent the portable MP3 player. It was called the iRiver and yes, it came first. Hades, Creative had the patents for an iPod like device five months before Apple even show cased the damned things.

Adding to that, the newest iPods have this chip in the earphones (the part of any MP3 that usually gets replaced the most often) meaning if you want to get replacement ones, you need to spend stupid amounts of money to get a replacement one instead of a cheap set for a tenner.

manaman:
There is always piracy, and there probably always will be. However the point here is that even on a closed system Apple is not doing much to help shield the developers from having their offerings easily pirated - then to top it off is getting mad at the developers when they speak out about the problem.

Thats my point. Why develop games on the iPhone then? I'd understand if you had no options, you do what you got to do to make money...but still...release and indie title on the Wii...or a game for points off of XboxLive or something...

fluffybacon:
Personally, I don't think that any iphone games are worth the space, even if i can get them for free.
I have a iphone for iphone-ing, i have a pc for playing games.

No offense...but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an iPhone?

I mean, the thing is mostly a fashion symbol first and foremost...but still. People who have it usually brag about "hey look at the games I can play" and "look I have an app to order a pizza...I could just call them...but I got this app that does it for me!!"

manaman:
You are looking at a guy who made a crappy game. Should that game have been good he would have sold 500,000 copies and piracy would have been a negligible 10% or less.

That, my friend, is nothing short of hopelessly naive. The majority of pirates will not wind up paying for a game just because it's good. And regardless, the numbers would still be skewed if they did because, as is the most common excuse for piracy, "I only pay for it if I like it". Yes, the sales would have been better if the game was better as would the ratio of sales:pirates, that goes without saying. But the same number of people would pirate it. More even, from the increased publicity. And the number of pirates would certainly never be negligible.

Singing Gremlin:

manaman:

That, my friend, is nothing short of hopelessly naive. The majority of pirates will not wind up paying for a game just because it's good. And regardless, the numbers would still be skewed if they did because, as is the most common excuse for piracy, "I only pay for it if I like it". Yes, the sales would have been better if the game was better as would the ratio of sales:pirates, that goes without saying. But the same number of people would pirate it. More even, from the increased publicity. And the number of pirates would certainly never be negligible.

You misunderstood my point. My point was never that pirates would pay for the game, it was that the majority of people do not pirate games.

First off compared to 90%, 10% would be negligible. Still with the difference in numbers that would be 50,000 pirating @ 10% with 1000 pirating @ 90%. Edit: BTW I did not pull those numbers out of my rear, they figures of two real games.

Sure as a game gets more popular you are going to see more people pirating it. Still most people do not pirate so you will also see a much larger increase in the number of people that bought the game. So a good game is going to see a lower percentage of people that pirate. While a poor game is going to see a higher percentage because pirates are not paying so they are willing to run the game a few times and check it out - no matter what people, or reviews say about it. Problem with the developer framed in the article is he assumes the same as the record labels, he thinks all 1000 of those where lost sells. I really doubt all 1000 saw the app offered and ran to the internet to download it. I bet he only lost a max of 10 sells to piracy, the rest of those that tried it would have never bought the game in the fist place.

It also requires the phone be unlocked or jailbroken as they call it when done to this one, modifying hardware or modifying firmware is not something your average consumer likes to do.

The reason the priacy rate is so high is becuase its so damn easy to do. The firmware on these things is terrible. There are tons of internet sites around that let you jailbreak your ipod and from there on it's pathetically easy to get free apps and or games. That being said I've never done it myself because I don't own an iphone or an ipod touch.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here