Stolen Pixels #114: So You Want to be an Indie Developer?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #114: So You Want to be an Indie Developer?

Gamepunx proudly supports indie developers in all their failings.

Read Full Article

I would get Bwoop! on any of those 3 systems. But maybe that is just because I'm a sucker for indie games.

What about Steam? Can't pirate that (well, you can, but only pros can, it filters out the idiots)

Duhhh...Bwoop is clearly meant for the Wii!

Yes where are the menitons of the Wii and PS3? Those two can be ripped apart just as easily

Hehe nice one, although its sadly a bit true :(

Glefistus:
What about Steam? Can't pirate that (well, you can, but only pros can, it filters out the idiots)

Thats what a lot of people think but yet games like Empire Total War are heavily pirated..

headshotcatcher:

Glefistus:

Thats what a lot of people think but yet games like Empire Total War are heavily pirated..

But they deserve it, I doubt people would go out of their way so much to pirate bwoop!

The bottom line seems to be that if you want people to play your game then pc is the way to go.

I had a good idea for an Indie game. To bad I dont know how to make one.

Gotta love the name Bwoop by the way; it sounds like Braid's homosexual, indie cousin (twice removed.)

you forgot the 1% who just doesn't know how to pirate games and there for have to pay insane amounts for them like the suckers we are.

The Austin:

theres allot of guides free on the net to help you learn the basics so that you can make it, it may take some time but at least it wont be very good and your only hope of people playing it is to make it free and add it to stumble upon.

I've been wondering this for a while - Where does Travis get his T-Shirts?

I don't care if they're not real! They're awesome.

swaki:
you forgot the 1% who just doesn't know how to pirate games and there for have to pay insane amounts for them like the suckers we are.

The Austin:

theres allot of guides free on the net to help you learn the basics so that you can make it, it may take some time but at least it wont be very good and your only hope of people playing it is to make it free and add it to stumble upon.

HOORAY!!!! MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN CRUSHED!!!!!! :P

Susan Arendt:

sounds more to me like a game for the DS...

AmrasCalmacil:
I've been wondering this for a while - Where does Travis get his T-Shirts?

I don't care if they're not real! They're awesome.

He rages at the internet until a T-shirt with an internet phrase appears on him.

DND Judgement:

Susan Arendt:

sounds more to me like a game for the DS...

... where it will be pirated and played on an R4.
Sorry, my mindset was still on the comic.

It's a sad truth about the Live Arcade titles. Some of the best and most fun games on there hardly get any attention.

That's only what happens when you make a silly game like that. The whole purpose of indie games is to get noticed, not to make money.

Mullahgrrl:
But they deserve it, I doubt people would go out of their way so much to pirate bwoop!

I....ho....What? A company makes a game, so it deserves to be ripped off and stolen? Call me an idiot, but I can't bridge the logic here.

Anyway, the high piracy rate of PC games is terrible especially for Indie companies. But I guess that is an aging tale of futility, toted by hypocrites like me at people like above.

On a side note, I want that shirt.

headshotcatcher:

Glefistus:

There's a box copy. Nobody hacks Steam copies when there's a box copy to easily take apart. You're only as strong as your weakest link...

nmaster64:

headshotcatcher:

Glefistus:

There's a box copy. Nobody hacks Steam copies when there's a box copy to easily take apart. You're only as strong as your weakest link...

Didn't you play it through steam?

Anyway a lot of other games (Goo, Braid, Psychonauts, Zeno Clash) that were only released on steam (right?) were heavily pirated as well..

I thought the game was gonna be Edgy Edgerton.... Did you get scared of Mr. Langdell?

Mullahgrrl:

headshotcatcher:

Glefistus:

The bottom line seems to be that if you want people to play your game then pc is the way to go.

Sadly, with that mentality, world of goo wouldn't have been so viciously pirated, but it was. With truly astonishing rates, around 90%. Clearly, a game deserving it isn't good enough :(

DeadlyYellow:

Mullahgrrl:

I....ho....What? A company makes a game, so it deserves to be ripped off and stolen? Call me an idiot, but I can't bridge the logic here.

Clearly you haven't played Empire:total war.

They are playing the EA game of ripping off their fans.

Monshroud:
I thought the game was gonna be Edgy Edgerton.... Did you get scared of Mr. Langdell?

Of course not, Travis is just busy getting the pre-alpha ready for Edgy Edgerton on the Edge of Edgyness 2:Edge-lectric Bwoop-aloo.

Mullahgrrl:

DeadlyYellow:

Mullahgrrl:

I played it, and what the hell do you thing is wrong with it, No offense, but I think thats a damned good game, and you cant be mad they released a couple of units as DLC, I mean, you don't have to buy it.

nikomas1:

Mullahgrrl:

DeadlyYellow:

Mullahgrrl:

I played it, and what the hell do you thing is wrong with it, No offense, but I think thats a damned good game, and you cant be mad they released a couple of units as DLC, I mean, you don't have to buy it.

Its the principle of the thing, if I buy a game I want the whole thing. Besides, fans have been making entire conversions and given them for free and now we have to pay for a dosen units? Do you remember the sims?

nikomas1:

Mullahgrrl:

Empire Total War doesn't deserve to be pirated, very few, if any, games deserve to be pirated.

Having said that Empire Total War was a poorly tested, poorly designed, buggy mess on release and is still pretty poor now.

- Random crashes to desktop.

- Random corruption while playing which isn't apparent but silently corrupts all saves you make (so when you come to play next you realise you lost most of your last gaming session, whether that be 2 hours or 8 hours).

- Completely broken diplomacy - making peace is near impossible, between you and the computers and even between the computers. Try offering half your empire to an enemy you are completely owning and they still say no. By the end of the game everyone is at war with virtually everyone else.

- Naval battles that were near impossible to control if you had more than 3 or 4 ships.

The game has huge potential but someone high up dropped the ball on releasing it in that state (or they just got greedy).

Mullahgrrl:
-

I remember a lot of console shooters to...

Mistwraithe:
-

Yeah, but its total war, with those games, bugs are like features, you kinda expect it, not an excuse thou.

headshotcatcher:
Anyway a lot of other games (Goo, Braid, Psychonauts, Zeno Clash) that were only released on steam (right?) were heavily pirated as well..

Actually World of Goo and Braid are available on Greenhouse and Impulse as well. I can vouch for the fact that Braid is completely DRM free on Impulse (YES!). I bought a boxed copy of Psychonauts, so it's not Steam-only, though the retail version does have some sort of CD check.

But regardless of your incorrect examples your point is true. Steam's DRM scheme has been cracked over and over (Dawn of War 2, F.E.A.R. 2). On top of that it's incredibly invasive.

The Extremist:

headshotcatcher:

Actually World of Goo and Braid are available on Greenhouse and Impulse as well. I can vouch for the fact that Braid is completely DRM free on Impulse (YES!). I bought a boxed copy of Psychonauts, so it's not Steam-only, though the retail version does have some sort of CD check.

But regardless of your incorrect examples your point is true. Steam's DRM scheme has been cracked over and over (Dawn of War 2, F.E.A.R. 2). On top of that it's incredibly invasive.

I like how you disregarded Zeno Clash and then called my examples incorrect.. *Not entirely bitter but not jolly either*

headshotcatcher:

The Extremist:

headshotcatcher:

I like how you disregarded Zeno Clash and then called my examples incorrect.. *Not entirely bitter but not jolly either*

Fine, Zeno Clash is the only game from your list on Steam.

I've seen a box of World of Goo, Braid and Psychonauts. In fact, Psychonauts was out before Steam was created.

Abedeus:

headshotcatcher:

The Extremist:

headshotcatcher:

Fine, Zeno Clash is the only game from your list on Steam.

I've seen a box of World of Goo, Braid and Psychonauts. In fact, Psychonauts was out before Steam was created.

Hehe sorry

Oh so true.... Oh so true.

Mullahgrrl:

DeadlyYellow:

Mullahgrrl:

I'm sorry, I'm no PhD in Economics, but I was under the impression that the way a capitalist system works was to exchange currency for goods and/or services. I fail to see how this remains a capitalist system if you eliminate the 'currency' aspect. In fact, in most, if not all, capitalist societies, the taking of goods and/or services without providing an agreed amount of currency is considered 'theft', and is frowned upon in most societies. Which isn't to say things like DRM and SecuRom aren't dick moves, but perhaps not playing the games at all as a mass protest would convicnce the companies to tone it down a bit in an effort to win back the pissed off public. Think about it like this. Say you're a pirate circa 1660 in the area of what is today the Carribean. Pirate hunters have grown in numbers in your favorite plundering areas. Do you A.Get an honest job so you can get riches you would normally get, but you will still be dogged by pirate hunters just in case? B.Lay low for a while, not getting any plunder for a while in an attempt to dissuade the pirate hunters? C.Keep pirating the same area, hoping the pirate hunters will magically go away somehow? or D.Go plunder a ship full of artisans and painters that has no way of defending itself, steal masterpieces of art in an attempt to seem 'edgy'?

Birras:

Mullahgrrl:

DeadlyYellow:

Mullahgrrl:

I'm sorry, I'm no PhD in Economics, but I was under the impression that the way a capitalist system works was to exchange currency for goods and/or services. I fail to see how this remains a capitalist system if you eliminate the 'currency' aspect. In fact, in most, if not all, capitalist societies, the taking of goods and/or services without providing an agreed amount of currency is considered 'theft', and is frowned upon in most societies. Which isn't to say things like DRM and SecuRom aren't dick moves, but perhaps not playing the games at all as a mass protest would convicnce the companies to tone it down a bit in an effort to win back the pissed off public. Think about it like this. Say you're a pirate circa 1660 in the area of what is today the Carribean. Pirate hunters have grown in numbers in your favorite plundering areas. Do you A.Get an honest job so you can get riches you would normally get, but you will still be dogged by pirate hunters just in case? B.Lay low for a while, not getting any plunder for a while in an attempt to dissuade the pirate hunters? C.Keep pirating the same area, hoping the pirate hunters will magically go away somehow? or D.Go plunder a ship full of artisans and painters that has no way of defending itself, steal masterpieces of art in an attempt to seem 'edgy'?

Capitalism sucks and there is no intrinsic value in not eliminating any currency system.
and to compare the situation with 17th century piracy is ludicrous.

Sure it is frowned upon not to pay for stuff in many societies but most societys are appalingly unegelitarian. And mostly not because of actual shortages but of artificial shortages, created on purpouse. there hasn't been a starvation the last 100 years that couldnt have been avoided if it werent for money.

Mullahgrrl:

Birras:

Mullahgrrl:

DeadlyYellow:

Mullahgrrl:

Capitalism sucks and there is no intrinsic value in not eliminating any currency system.
and to compare the situation with 17th century piracy is ludicrous.

Sure it is frowned upon not to pay for stuff in many societies but most societys are appalingly unegelitarian. And mostly not because of actual shortages but of artificial shortages, created on purpouse. there hasn't been a starvation the last 100 years that couldnt have been avoided if it werent for money.

...and Bwoop fades into obscurity behind the raging debate....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here